• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
We tend to have clouded judgement on what's significant in our manic bubble on NintendoEra, but the transfer of Metroid Prime 4 production to Retro Studios, given their lack of output, is surely a worthy and important question to be asked at a shareholders' meeting. I don't imagine investors who are paying attention haven't questioned the decision given the opaque and troubling circumstances regarding the studio.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
You're crazy if you think Retro has anything coming any time soon.

I don't, but that's exactly the point. Prior to the Prime 4 shift my assumption was that something was coming purely on the principle that Retro's output had been only a port of Tropical Freeze across five years of production time. This is abnormal for any developer and indicative of one of two things; something exists and is coming soon, or there's been serious issues with production on internal projects. Five years is a long time to go without producing anything other than a port.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope a week or 2 after the game awards we'll be able to do our top 10 Switch games. So many good games have released and so many great Nintendo games have released this year. I like to see what others have and the end of 2019 is the first time I've felt we can show it, since the mad dash of Nintendo games just released. I think the lineup really exploded and we can see a good amount of variety in people's top 10 because of it.

The Switch lineup is at a good spot and I expect 2020 will only be the same as 2019, if not better.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I don't, but that's exactly the point. Prior to the Prime 4 shift my assumption was that something was coming purely on the principle that Retro's output had been only a port of Tropical Freeze across five years of production time. This is abnormal for any developer and indicative of one of two things; something exists and is coming soon, or there's been serious issues with production on internal projects. Five years is a long time to go without producing anything other than a port.

Oh, i wasn't referring to you. I just meant in general. Your post was super well informed.

There was absolutely something being made for years. Schrier seemed pretty confident that Nintendo and Retro were both getting frustrated with whatever the project was and I'd bet on it having been canceled last year before they moved on to Metroid. Nearly six years of silence is extremely uncommon, especially for Nintendo. Whatever it was had to have been very far along.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope a week or 2 after the game awards we'll be able to do our top 10 Switch games. So many good games have released and so many great Nintendo games have released this year. I like to see what others have and the end of 2019 is the first time I've felt we can show it, since the mad dash of Nintendo games just released. I think the lineup really exploded and we can see a good amount of variety in people's top 10 because of it.

The Switch lineup is at a good spot and I expect 2020 will only be the same as 2019, if not better.

We should do this in March. Would be three years after launch (so the "halfway point" of the Switch, assuming a 6 year lifespan) and when Animal Crossing New Horizon launches.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But wouldn't everyone be in their honeymoon period with that game and throw it at the top of every list?

That's kind of why i was saying the end of the year so everyone has time to finish games. Also, it's a nice recap of the year 2019. I guess you could do it March 3rd on the 3 year anniversary. This is will be before Animal Crossing releases.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With regards to why Nintendo would hand Prime 4 to Retro after their string of setbacks, I think I can see the rationale.

For starters it moves production to a single location, and a Nintendo owned studio at that. Whereas the original game was rumored to be developed by BN Singapore and seemingly with multiple teams that were far spread out-Ubisoft style.

Additionally it makes sense that if Retro was struggling with the production of an original concept, that it would be beneficial to get them back on track making a sequel with a defined game design. Either Prime 4 or DKCR3 would've made the most sense as a comeback title for them. I imagine the latter would've been put in production if Prime 4's initial development had gone smoothly.

Lastly, Prime 4 was not a game that Nintendo could cancel quietly internally and walk away from. They announced it prematurely in order to give their most dedicated fans something to look forward to in the future of the Switch, and this was a project that had incredibly vocal demand for years. It needed to be made, and just in terms of PR it helped establish people's confidence that the game would be worth the wait by putting the original Metroid Prime developer on it. (Even though the staff at Retro has changed a lot.)

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But wouldn't everyone be in their honeymoon period with that game and throw it at the top of every list?

That's kind of why i was saying the end of the year so everyone has time to finish games. Also, it's a nice recap of the year 2019. I guess you could do it March 3rd on the 3 year anniversary. This is will be before Animal Crossing releases.

Yeah, my bad. What I meant to write was that it would be before Animal Crossing but after the other games have released. With Q1 being relatively quiet otherwise, I think it's be the best time IMO.

Nov 3, 2017
I am honestly shook because I thought Nintendo would announce this Mario Maker 2 update during TGA. Bring on BotW 2 baby!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am honestly shook because I thought Nintendo would announce this Mario Maker 2 update during TGA. Bring on BotW 2 baby!
I thought there was a chance the update would be announced there because they brought Mario Maker before. One less thing to worry about lol. I'm still hoping we get 3 Nintendo announcements. BotW 2, Smash and new game.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I see some people predicting that future MM2 update would keep bringing other characters, such as Samus for instance.
This would be so good, and would even be an explanation other than "takes a lot of ressources" of why the costumes didn't come back. Exciting stuff.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Games get cancelled, often before being announced.
It seems "abnormal" for some about Retro because there's more scrutiny about them, and because they're the only major western studio for Nintendo, despite it not being "big" at all in terms of headcount.

It's certainly not unusual for the same thing to happen for other studios, you just don't notice it or hear about it because they're teams/divisions in way bigger studios (EA/Ubi/Capcom...), and in a different organization. Rocksteady's new game hasn't been announced for example, and will release 5 years after their previous game. Retro has been put on a major title since only the beginning of this year, and it's a development reboot situation. Their previous project could have been cancelled because it wasn't interesting in the end, because they (or nintendo, or both) chose to work on MP4 instead, because it was going nowhere, etc. Good project management is also deciding when to kill a project (and not wanting a second Project Hammer).
People have a weird obsession with "what could have happened there?!" for Retro.

antonio

Jan 12, 2018
I'd...I'd honestly be more excited for DK 6–2 than Zelda lol. It means DK has finally returned back to 3D!

Me too! Even though I am excited for the next 2D DKC game and I hope Retro will make it, I would accept a 3D DK game if it had quality of Odyssey or Breath of the wild. This weekend I tried to return do DK64, but it is very tedious and not nearly as exciting and fast as 2D DKC games. I like that excitement and tight platforming which is not possible to reproduce in a 3D game. 3D platfomers are usually tedious because you need to do boring tasks or tasks that require you do be very fast and agile in 3D space which for me is not a fun thing to do, I actually hate that.

As for Retro studios, it would be sad if they had to discard all the work they have done in the last 6 years. Sometimes assets or engine can be used for another game. I would have them develop another 2D DKC now while another good developer handles 3D DKC game.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm happy this update was announced now and not at the game awards. it looks awesome but that wouldn't have been the right place the announce it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the Master Sword in Mario Maker 2, something Zelda is definitely coming up at TGA.

Basically. Nintendo is building up to BotW 2 at the Game Awards.

Me too! Even though I am excited for the next 2D DKC game and I hope Retro will make it, I would accept a 3D DK game if it had quality of Odyssey or Breath of the wild. This weekend I tried to return do DK64, but it is very tedious and not nearly as exciting and fast as 2D DKC games. I like that excitement and tight platforming which is not possible to reproduce in a 3D game. 3D platfomers are usually tedious because you need to do boring tasks or tasks that require you do be very fast and agile in 3D space which for me is not a fun thing to do, I actually hate that.

As for Retro studios, it would be sad if they had to discard all the work they have done in the last 6 years. Sometimes assets or engine can be used for another game. I would have them develop another 2D DKC now while another good developer handles 3D DKC game.

I actually liked DK 64 to an extent and I do prefer a new 3D DK to a new 2D DK. I don't mind the platforming isn't as good. I liked having open islands to visit. The game to me was over bloated, not the best controls, etc. I would prefer to see Retro do a 3D DK game. I think Retro can do it especially with the lead designer for TF coming back to the studio (that's great news for a 2D DKC too).

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for Nintendo to show the officially licensed game to No Time To Die, developed by Retro Studios.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
It's not a twitter direct, and there's not much reason for Nintendo to find news to make a direct about when it's just a mario maker update.
Game Awards is later than usual this year too, so too late for that.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
do you have any idea how long does it take to make a new snes game? especially if you forgot your 6502 assembly and such

\z

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sidescrolling Link in Mario Maker 2?

Zelda 2 remake incoming!

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
We tend to have clouded judgement on what's significant in our manic bubble on NintendoEra, but the transfer of Metroid Prime 4 production to Retro Studios, given their lack of output, is surely a worthy and important question to be asked at a shareholders' meeting. I don't imagine investors who are paying attention haven't questioned the decision given the opaque and troubling circumstances regarding the studio.
Has someone asked during the shareholders' meeting about this?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are some of the power ups in super metroid completely optional? Or are they all required to progress? Because I found some that I felt like I didn't need them to progress

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hypothetical since we're never getting a new Advance Wars but which one of these options would people prefer and why?

1. New Advance Wars that incorporates some Fire Emblem elements (higher focus on COs, relationships, RPG elements)
  2. New Advance Wars that is completely different from classic Advance Wars
  3. New cheapo Advance Wars that is basically Versus Battle + Map Creator
  4. Fire Emblem spin-off that mostly retains de Advance Wars gameplay
  5. New Battalion Wars

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hypothetical since we're never getting a new Advance Wars but which one of these options would people prefer and why?

1. New Advance Wars that incorporates some Fire Emblem elements (higher focus on COs, relationships, RPG elements)
  5. New Battalion Wars
Keep fire Emblem out of advance wars. Otherwise, it just be Fire Emblem Mars

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Feels pretty random being just the Master Sword instead of multiple crossover power ups to replace the mystery shrooms from SMM1. Especially with TGA on the horizon.
I really want to believe, but I really don't see any relation other than it being Zelda related. I think it's just that the Zelda series is just so popular, so they thought to through us fans a bone and get some more Zelda stuff in Mario. Especially since this isn't the first time Zelda crossed over with Mario: See Mario Kart 8.

Despite this, I still hope to see BotW 2 during the Game Awards.

5. New Battalion Wars
Everything.gif

No, seriously. I'd take number 1, but with as little FE elements as possible. Sure, focus more on CO's to make them more fleshed out characters. But that's it.
With this you reminded me that we'll probably never going to get a new Advance Wars, and now I'm sad. I guess I'll play the first game again to forget my sorrows (and fail).

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd bet that for the Zelda 2 remake, they're going to make it more "zelda-like" by adding things like bomb and arrow powerups just like the Metroid 2 remake turned the game into a more traditional Metroid game instead of keeping the style of the original version.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

5. New Battalion Wars
What do you mean by #2? Isn't Battalion Wars already this?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What do you mean by #2? Isn't Battalion Wars already this?

Battalion Wars has imo little to do with the original series due to its real-time action elements. I meant more something that still retains its turn-based tactics roots to some degree like Valkyria Chronicles for example.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm a shareholder, I will go to the next meeting and demand answers re: Metroid and Retro.

no I won't

antonio

Jan 12, 2018
I would ask any shareholder or a person willing to help, to please release a gorilla with a red tie during the shareholder meeting. Maybe the message would come through and we would get more Donkey Kong games.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

I think only some side stuff, like the X-Ray Visor and the Spring Ball are optional? Despite replaying it recently, i can't really remember. Requried for sure are the various bombs, the beam upgrades, the suits and the jumping ones and the various missles. Plus the Grappling Hook, Speed Booster.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I believe some are, but I also don't think a thread about nintendo direct is the right place to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.