• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
We tend to have clouded judgement on what's significant in our manic bubble on NintendoEra, but the transfer of Metroid Prime 4 production to Retro Studios, given their lack of output, is surely a worthy and important question to be asked at a shareholders' meeting. I don't imagine investors who are paying attention haven't questioned the decision given the opaque and troubling circumstances regarding the studio.
You talk about investors who put a lot of pressure on Nintendo to develop crappy mobile games full of micro-transactions. Without worrying that this disgraced the company's historical values, because they wanted some easy money. Yeah, nah, I'm not exactly sure that those shareholders are concerned with the artistic quality of the next Metroid ...

or a curse as they could be the reason they haven't put out a game
To be fair, Metro has a solid record of being a huge mess since the begining. Next Level Games never made any good game before working with Nintendo. Nintendo being directive did not prevent Rare from devlopping extraordinary games. And Retro literally went back from the dead with Metroid Prime, under the harsh watch of Nintendo. If anything, they help games to become better, not the other way around.

Whaaaa? Samus Returns completely kept Metroid 2's structure, just expanded it
Yes. Samus Returns is not perfect and has bad points, but if its main quality is literraly how much it is respectful.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Is there somewhere a list of the Switch games officially releasing in 2020? Don´t care about the month atm.

Thanks.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Is there somewhere a list of the Switch games officially releasing in 2020? Don´t care about the month atm.

Thanks.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Doom Eternal
Gods & Monsters (Ubisoft's cartoony adventure game loosely based on Greek myth)

tbh that's all I can think that's official currently

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It felt like we didn't know many games going in to 2019 either. That's what made it so exciting. When was Links Awakening announced again?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Doom Eternal
Gods & Monsters (Ubisoft's cartoony adventure game loosely based on Greek myth)

tbh that's all I can think that's official currently
No More Heroes 3 as well.
Famicom Detective Club remake in Japan.
Brain Training in EU.
Xenoblade Chronicles DE.
Trials of Mana (April).

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3rd party games announced for 2020:

mega man z/zx collection
darksiders genesis
persona 5 scramble
under night in birth exe late st clr tru;njgsk
doom 64
doom eternal
trials of mana
cook, serve, delicious 3
deadly premonition 2
digimon survive
disaster report 4
empire of sun
gods and monsters
little nightmares 2
lego star wars skywalker saga
minecraft dungeons
no more heroes 3
rune factory 5
streets of rage 4
spongebob remaster

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
You talk about investors who put a lot of pressure on Nintendo to develop crappy mobile games full of micro-transactions. Without worrying that this disgraced the company's historical values, because they wanted some easy money. Yeah, nah, I'm not exactly sure that those shareholders are concerned with the artistic quality of the next Metroid ...

I think what they mean is that investors should be concerned with a studio of 100-140 that hasn't had output for 5-6 years, and may not have anything out for another 2 years. That's 10s of millions USD in salaries alone not recouped. That doesn't include other business overhead - tech and infrastructure, probably other costs I'm not aware of. Could be that the re-release of DKTF selling fairly well helped.

I still think something is coming. Whether it's completely original, or we just find that they've been supporting another project, I still expect to see them credited for a game outside of MP4.

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
3rd party games announced for 2020:

mega man z/zx collection
darksiders genesis
persona 5 scramble
under night in birth exe late st clr tru;njgsk
doom 64
doom eternal
trials of mana
cook, serve, delicious 3
deadly premonition 2
digimon survive
disaster report 4
empire of sun
gods and monsters
little nightmares 2
lego star wars skywalker saga
minecraft dungeons
no more heroes 3
rune factory 5
streets of rage 4
spongebob remaster
Also the Outer Worlds, MHA : One Justice 2, One Piece Warriors 4, Fairy Tail (all Q1 games).
Hollow Knight : Silksong and Crosscode are at 99% 2020 releases.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
First-party in 2020 will be interesting to watch as the major franchises have been ticked already. I'm hoping for some deeper cuts, such as Pikmin and Rhythm Heaven alongside sequels to 2017 games like Odyssey 2.

Third-party support has of course been a massive step up for Nintendo, but I've been disappointed by some very obvious misses. Previous-gen games such as Batman Arkham, Tomb Raider, GTA5, Danganronpa, Kingdom Hearts collection. Current-gen stuff like Persona 5, NieR Automata. These are all games that I feel would run fine on the system and find an audience.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I'll do my prediction for January Direct. I don't expect huge FP stuff, they'll save them for later (like Bayo 3 and BotW2):

First party:
Pikmin 3 and Pikmin 4 tease
WarioWare for summer release
Metroid Ultimate Collection (MPT+Other M+Samus Returns HD) for August
Xenoblade Remastered for June

Third party:
For closing announcement: Monster Hunter 5, coming this fall
Megaman Battle Network reboot
Brand new Super Monkey Ball game
No Man's Sky
Subnautica
Outer Wilds
Code Vein
Stellaris
Star Ocean 2-3-4 ports
DMC4 and DmC
Ports from Ubisoft (one of those: Splinter Cell Blacklist, Far Cry 3/4, Watch Dogs 1)
Dirt 4 from Feral
Star Wars Force Unleashed collection from Aspyr
Release dates for Panzer Dragoon and Deadly Premonition 2

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Putting the Metroid Prime games and Samus Returns in the same compilation with Other M is like putting your breakfast on the same plate with a plague rat

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Putting the Metroid Prime games and Samus Returns in the same compilation with Other M is like putting your breakfast on the same plate with a plague rat

This is some exaggeration. Other M is not a bad game at all. If you ignore the stupid story and FP segments, there's a quality game deep down. Pretty sure they'd remove the FP stuff in the remaster due to lack of wii pointer.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
This is some exaggeration. Other M is not a bad game at all. If you ignore the stupid story and FP segments, there's a quality game deep down. Pretty sure they'd remove the FP stuff in the remaster due to lack of wii pointer.

So mouldy cheese on the same plate as your brekkie? Just gotta cut away a good chunk of the outside before it's edible. Also you probably don't want it touching the other parts of your meal.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I'll do my prediction for January Direct. I don't expect huge FP stuff, they'll save them for later (like Bayo 3 and BotW2):

First party:

Third party:
No Man's Sky
Subnautica
Outer Wilds
Code Vein
Stellaris
Star Ocean 2-3-4 ports
DMC4 and DmC
Ports from Ubisoft (one of those: Splinter Cell Blacklist, Far Cry 3/4, Watch Dogs 1)
Dirt 4 from Feral

Not happening. Subnautica has a decent bit of trouble on the Xbox/Playstation as it is. All the others I can see.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
For me it's not even about the quality of the game.
Nintendo is never going to release a collection of 5 (!!) games that are less than 18 years old, with one being only 2 years old, for 60 bucks.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Not happening. Subnautica has a decent bit of trouble on the Xbox/Playstation as it is. All the others I can see.

This is not a valid excuse anymore. Games like that don't run well on PS4 and Xbox due to lack of optimization. Luckily we have some of the best port studios with Switch, I'm pretty sure they'd optimize the hell out of it.

Subnautica is published by Gearbox, who also ported Risk of Rain 2 to Switch which similarly had a really bad performance on PC.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
This is not a valid excuse anymore. Games like that don't run well on PS4 and Xbox due to lack of optimization. Luckily we have some of the best port studios with Switch, I'm pretty sure they'd optimize the hell out of it.

Subnautica is published by Gearbox, who also ported Risk of Rain 2 to Switch which similarly had a really bad performance on PC.

Like Panic Button?
Panic Button actually was the company who ported Subnautica to the other consoles lol

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

First party:

Third party:
No Man's Sky
Subnautica
Outer Wilds
Code Vein
Stellaris
Star Ocean 2-3-4 ports
DMC4 and DmC
Dirt 4 from Feral
No Animal Crossing trailer?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Like Panic Button?
Panic Button actually was the ones who ported Subnautica to the other consoles lol

Exactly. Switch version would obviously receive some cutbacks and sacrifices, those may improve the performance a little.

Subnautica sounds like good option for Panic button after they're done with Doom Eternal.

No Animal Crossing trailer?

Maybe a 1 minute long reminder, I expect AC to get its own Direct sometime in February.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Exactly. Switch version would obviously receive some cutbacks and sacrifices, those may improve the performance a little.

Subnautica sounds like good option for Panic button after they're done with Doom Eternal.

You didn't read the spoiler, did you? Panic Button ported the game to the Xbox/Playstation, and there's already performance issues there. Not to mention that the Switch has a problem with Unity games for whatever reason.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Balls-to-the-wall January Direct:

Opens with Pikmin 4, shows off Bingo Battle Royale mode
Metroid collection coming 2020 (MPT, Federation Force and Samus Returns), Blast Ball HD releasing for Nintendo Online Subscribers TODAY
Game Freak triple threat: Pocket Card Jockey 2, Harmoknight Remixed, Part Time UFO for Switch
Half Life 1, 2 and Episodes 1 & 2
ports
Netflix app shadowdrop
Animal Crossing shows off a brand new trading card game interaction between characters, not dissimilar to Gwent in The Witcher. You can trade cards with villagers and play against them in little tournaments during the year!
PilotWings - 2021
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Drivers Pass, new DLC!
Smash Brothers Ultimate Fighters Pass 2 - First fighter is 'Missingno' from Pokémon
Portageddon: Heaven's Vault, Parkitect, Devil Daggers, Grand Theft Auto V, Slime Rancher, Opus Magnum, Sims 4
Closes with Paper Mario: Reprinted, a remaster of the Nintendo 64 original.

Ultra-left-field One-More-Thing; something "From the creator of Petscop..."

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
Balls-to-the-wall January Direct:

Opens with Pikmin 4, shows off Bingo Battle Royale mode
Metroid collection coming 2020 (MPT, Federation Force and Samus Returns), Blast Ball HD releasing for Nintendo Online Subscribers TODAY
Game Freak triple threat: Pocket Card Jockey 2, Harmoknight Remixed, Part Time UFO for Switch
Half Life 1, 2 and Episodes 1 & 2
ports
Netflix app shadowdrop
Animal Crossing shows off a brand new trading card game interaction between characters, not dissimilar to Gwent in The Witcher. You can trade cards with villagers and play against them in little tournaments during the year!
PilotWings - 2021
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Drivers Pass, new DLC!
Smash Brothers Ultimate Fighters Pass 2 - First fighter is 'Missingno' from Pokémon
Portageddon: Heaven's Vault, Parkitect, Devil Daggers, Grand Theft Auto V, Slime Rancher, Opus Magnum, Sims 4
Closes with Paper Mario: Reprinted, a remaster of the Nintendo 64 original.

Ultra-left-field One-More-Thing; something "From the creator of Petscop..."

Has Half Life 1 ever been ported to console? (I only know of the Dreamcast failed port)

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
You didn't read the spoiler, did you? Panic Button ported the game to the Xbox/Playstation, and there's already performance issues there. Not to mention that the Switch has a problem with Unity games for whatever reason.

I wouldn't worry about that. Switch has number of Unity games and Outer Wilds, another game I listed there, also runs on Unity. I trust Panic Button despite the games shortcomings on PS4/Xbox One.

That... is actually a great idea. I'd love some real interactions with villagers other than dummy phrases and this would be an interesting one. I hope I get super rare Bob card!

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Sword & Shield, Astral Chain, Link's Awakening, Cadence of Hyrule, Ring FIt, Labo VR, Box Boy, Super Mario Maker 2 and others I'm probably forgetting were all announced and released in 2019. Nintendo tend to release most of their games months after their announcement now, 2020's gonna be fine

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Sword & Shield, Astral Chain, Link's Awakening, Cadence of Hyrule, Ring FIt, Labo VR, Box Boy, Super Mario Maker 2 and others I'm probably forgetting were all announced and released in 2019. Nintendo tend to release most of their games months after their announcement now, 2020's gonna be fine
Tetris 99 and The Stretchers were both announced and immediately shadowdropped

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Nobody has any doubts about Nintendo's first party lineup though, it's gonna be fire as always. Third party on the other hand is another story. We're in uncharted waters here...

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 are pretty safe bets to be honest. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we saw Kingdom Hearts III Final Mix on Switch.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I think what they mean is that investors should be concerned with a studio of 100-140 that hasn't had output for 5-6 years, and may not have anything out for another 2 years. That's 10s of millions USD in salaries alone not recouped. That doesn't include other business overhead - tech and infrastructure, probably other costs I'm not aware of. Could be that the re-release of DKTF selling fairly well helped.

I still think something is coming. Whether it's completely original, or we just find that they've been supporting another project, I still expect to see them credited for a game outside of MP4.

Investors usually care about the bigger view and not what individual studios are up to. Retro not putting out a game in the last few years hasn't affected Nintendo's bottom line in any significant way, so it's a whatever at best.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Investors usually care about the bigger view and not what individual studios are up to. Retro not putting out a game in the last few years hasn't affected Nintendo's bottom line in any significant way, so it's a whatever at best.
Investors want to see maximized profits. Retro Studios has not been maximizing profits to say the least. I think the whereabouts of Retro is a worthy investor question.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I reiterate, if anyone mentions Metroid without any real proof of anything Metroid happening...

You are gonna get a very stern look from me.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Investors want to see maximized profits. Retro Studios has not been maximizing profits to say the least. I think the whereabouts of Retro is a worthy investor question.
Nintendo's philosophy is to protect their employees since they know their value are coming from them.

If the question is asked, and a lot of similar questions were asked before, they would answer that they are operating in a risky industry and delays/cancels are part of the job.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna punch someone everytime they forget Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition releases next year. I see it not being mentioned too many times on Switch 2020 games.

Also, with Microsoft getting the Kingdom Hearts collections, I expect those to be announced for Switch in the first Nintendo direct of 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.