• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I think Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 are pretty safe bets to be honest. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we saw Kingdom Hearts III Final Mix on Switch.
You know that 3 will get the ReMind DLC which basically serves the same purpose as a final mix?
I wouldn't count on it.

I reiterate, if anyone mentions Metroid without any real proof of anything Metroid happening...

You are gonna get a very stern look from me.
METROID.

Tetris 99 is the best shadowdrop of all
of ever

and yeah, this year was fire, Astral Chain was ace (even if DMC5 hit the same year)
Fire Emblem was awesome too.
Next year is gonna have so many suprises I bet.
i wanted to finally get to my Wii copy of Xenoblade I got a few months ago but then last direct happened, that game alone is gonna be great.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
C9EzcBmXcAEGf1i.png

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to see the amount of people who play Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time. It was like the Final Fantasy VI or Final Fantasy IX for me. It's so amazing and heartwarming.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Nintendo's philosophy is to protect their employees since they know their value are coming from them.

If the question is asked, and a lot of similar questions were asked before, they would answer that they are operating in a risky industry and delays/cancels are part of the job.
Yep. I'm glad Retro has been given a chance with Metroid Prime 4 despite failing to perform after Tropical Freeze.
I think Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 are pretty safe bets to be honest. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we saw Kingdom Hearts III Final Mix on Switch.
I'm not so sure after the Xbox One ports were announced with no news on Switch.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I'm glad Retro has been given a chance with Metroid Prime 4 despite failing to perform after Tropical Freeze.

I'm not so sure after the Xbox One ports were announced with no news on Switch.

Imran once said there were talks between Nintendo and Square to bring KH3 to Switch. It seems Square said KH3 can't happen but offered KH1.5+2.5 instead. Here.

But NateDrake refuted that by saying he hasn't heard anything about KH ports coming to Switch, whether old games or KH3. Maybe NateDrake can clarify this?

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I think either Game Awards or the first major Direct of the year will give us our first look at what next year's big holiday game will be.

Mario Odyssey was revealed in January, Smash was announced in March, Pokemon was revealed in February.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Imran once said there were talks between Nintendo and Square to bring KH3 to Switch. It seems Square said KH3 can't happen but offered KH1.5+2.5 instead. Here.

But NateDrake refuted that by saying he hasn't heard anything about KH ports coming to Switch, whether old games or KH3. Maybe NateDrake can clarify this?
KH games were being considered as of late last yr. Not sure how far discussions got or what came of them.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KH ain't coming yall. if they didn't announce it for switch after the Xbox event, don't seem likely to be coming

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
If anyone identifies current speculative posts or interesting tidbits that you think belong in the OP to provide an impression of current opinion for passers-by, please feel free to mention me and I'll edit the OP or, if you think it's best, add a thread mark. I'm trying to make this thread as comprehensive and easy to engage with as I can. The OP has gotten daily updates since its inception, and I'll perform content updates as necessary.

god I'm so tired. I'm an american uni student on the east coast crunching an asinine project, wish me luck

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
If anyone identifies current speculative posts or interesting tidbits that you think belong in the OP to provide an impression of current opinion for passers-by, please feel free to mention me and I'll edit the OP or, if you think it's best, add a thread mark. I'm trying to make this thread as comprehensive and easy to engage with as I can. The OP has gotten daily updates since its inception, and I'll perform content updates as necessary.

god I'm so tired. I'm an american uni student on the east coast crunching an asinine project, wish me luck

Best of luck, Rac!

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
MP4 is clearly the last chance for Retro to stay alive. It's funny because at first they were supposed to disappear just after finishing Metroid Prime. I really hope they will survive once again and finally get some stability.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
When all the Final Fantasy games were announced in the Nintendo Direct, Square Enix announced it for Xbox One at the same time. Xbox owners didn't have to wait for the next Inside Xbox or something.

If KH 1.5 + 2.5 wasn't announced for Switch at the same time as the XB1 version, that's because it's not coming, not anytime soon anyway.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
MP4 is clearly the last chance for Retro to stay alive. It's funny because at first they were supposed to disappear just after finishing Metroid Prime. I really hope they will survive once again and finally get some stability.

"Alive" is relative. Nintendo hasn't closed a studio in ages. But if MP4 ends in another failure, they might get turned into the next NST.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. They'll be alive. Nintendo doesn't close their studios. The studio has continued to grow and grow.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does DKC have anything as culturally significant as the DK Rap?

No. Checkmate, atheists

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Y'all are always talking about the wrong Donkey Kong games. The best DK game is Jungle Beat.

Directed by the king himself: Koizumi. And we all know he hasn't shown what he's working on since Mario Odyssey, meaning.... *wink* *wink*

So my prediction is: 2020 is the year of DK Jungle Beat's revival. Jungle Beat HD remaster and Jungle Beat 2 baby.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
"Alive" is relative. Nintendo hasn't closed a studio in ages. But if MP4 ends in another failure, they might get turned into the next NST.
I know it won't happen, I know Retro is in Austin, but a merger between Retro and NST seemed to make sense at some point. They created a US studio that don't get to develop games of its own anymore and at the same time they own another US studio with size and management issues. I really don't understand what NoA is doing. Not to mention that Nintendo did not even want to buy Retro in the first place, it's always been a mess.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it won't happen, I know Retro is in Austin, but a merger between Retro and NST seemed to make sense at some point. They created a US studio that don't get to develop games of its own anymore and at the same time they own another US studio with size and management issues. I really don't understand what NoA is doing. Not to mention that Nintendo did not even want to buy Retro in the first place, it's always been a mess.
Now doesn't manage the in the first place. They're all managed through NCL

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When all the Final Fantasy games were announced in the Nintendo Direct, Square Enix announced it for Xbox One at the same time. Xbox owners didn't have to wait for the next Inside Xbox or something.

If KH 1.5 + 2.5 wasn't announced for Switch at the same time as the XB1 version, that's because it's not coming, not anytime soon anyway.
Except that no one watches Inside Xbox, it'd be poor marketing to hold off announcing Xbox versions for a stream no one cares about. Whereas Directs are incredibly popular. It makes way less sense to announce Kingdom Hearts ports for switch as a footnote to a massive Xbox event, when they could just do it in the next direct and get a load of attention.

Jan 9, 2018
I'm glad someone mentioned Digimon Survive in the list of upcoming third party games. My hope for the next Direct is that Nintendo and Bandai properly work together to show off Survive (with a release date). People missed Cyber Sleuth entirely because it never came up in a Direct and that's what Switch owners pay attention to.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I warned you more than a year ago that the Retro situation smelled bad; but most people rejected my message, and hated me because I told them the truth (Galatians 4:16).

When Nintendo gave them MP4, I was actually quite optimistic that they probably had a game finished and ready to be shown to the world; even if at the time, most still thought it would be that horrible Starfox GP idea.
Now, I'm increasingly starting to think that Nintendo gave a failed project (Metroid Prime 4) to a studio which failed at everything for more than 5 years. It may end up being a genius move, but I don't believe that there is much reason to be optimistic about that. We'll see in 2022 I guess...

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad someone mentioned Digimon Survive in the list of upcoming third party games. My hope for the next Direct is that Nintendo and Bandai properly work together to show off Survive (with a release date). People missed Cyber Sleuth entirely because it never came up in a Direct and that's what Switch owners pay attention to.

People missed Cyber Sleuth because it was a late port of a game that wasn't that popular to begin with and it's even less popular "side-quel".

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Animal Crossing will end up rated higher than all of Nintendo's games this year. Looking at previous titles the safe bet is no. It'll be right up there with the other greats though.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Except that no one watches Inside Xbox, it'd be poor marketing to hold off announcing Xbox versions for a stream no one cares about. Whereas Directs are incredibly popular. It makes way less sense to announce Kingdom Hearts ports for switch as a footnote to a massive Xbox event, when they could just do it in the next direct and get a load of attention.
It was at X019 which is hyped up as the big Xbox centered showcase outside of E3. It's effectively what PSX was, which means it's pretty damn big. There were well over a hundred thousand watching on stream and live, so it's at least Direct caliber if not slightly bigger.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It was at X019 which is hyped up as the big Xbox centered showcase outside of E3. It's effectively what PSX was, which means it's pretty damn big. There were well over a hundred thousand watching on stream and live, so it's at least Direct caliber if not slightly bigger.
Every Directs have several hundred thousands people watching live iirc.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's what I meant. FF ports were announced for Xbox when there wasn't a big event like a (popular) Xbox direct so it made sense to piggyback off the hype for the Switch announcements.

This time they have X019 to use, but that doesn't mean they have to just announce all platforms on Twitter like last. There's no rule. It makes no sense to slip switch announcements under the door when it'd make a much bigger splash at one of the many directs throughout the year.

Hell there's precedent. Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition was not announced for Switch at the same time as PS4 as it was held back for the direct.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's what I meant. FF ports were announced for Xbox when there wasn't a big event like a (popular) Xbox direct so it made sense to piggyback off the hype for the Switch announcements.

This time they have X019 to use, but that doesn't mean they have to just announce all platforms on Twitter like last. There's no rule. It makes no sense to slip switch announcements under the door when it'd make a much bigger splash at one of the many directs throughout the year.

Hell there's precedent. Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition was not announced for Switch at the same time as PS4 as it was held back for the direct.
This. You would announce Kingdom Hearts collections in a direct. It's a big deal for Nintendo fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.