• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Labo kits have sold over 1 mil though; I can't imagine their expectations were very high for that or for a puzzle game where you shoot sushi at another player that had a full anime story mode.
i'm a little exaggerating maybe. the first labo kit did do fairly well. but the ones released since then have kinda been pushed out and forgotten.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
labo
sushi striker

has nintendo published any other flops on switch so far?

Only first-party games or also games where they published the game in some regions only? I don't think TWEWY and Daemon X Machina were huge successes and we have no idea how their DQ titles performed on Switch in the West.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
labo
sushi striker

has nintendo published any other flops on switch so far?

My kids really would love more flops like labo. I know it may not have met Nintendo expectations (though I think it did fairly well, no?) but I think it may be their favorite thing on the system and they had so much fun putting the vehicle kit together. We've been hiding the big VR kit for Christmas for a month or two because I was starting to not see it in stock anywhere.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that flew right over my head! Thank you! I've been slowly plucking up the courage to give the first game a go - not sure whether I play it on the DS or buy the Remix version for the Switch. Not like I have any coins lying around but I kind of want the ultimate experience, lol.
Same. It's super exciting. I love the Switch version but I can only imagine how good a version actually originally designed for Switch would be.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Labo kits have sold over 1 mil though; I can't imagine their expectations were very high for that or for a puzzle game where you shoot sushi at another player that had a full anime story mode.

Labo kits combined are probably over 2M at this point.

Labo TC01 were at 1.09M alone at the end of last fiscal year. I'm sure all the others combined for more than 0.91M.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
TMS will have the dubious honor of bombing twice.
Few games can put on their resume. That's something, right?

Christo750

May 10, 2018
i'm a little exaggerating maybe. the first labo kit did do fairly well. but the ones released since then have kinda been pushed out and forgotten.
Well aside from that, you're right though, Labo has felt like it's had a hard stop, and even the Labo VR support has dried up. So while it maybe didn't flop, I am surprised at the silence.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If TMS just outsells the Wii U version I'll consider it a success for what it is

That said, since it's release we've had Fire Emblem Heroes, Persona 5 (Joker in Smash bringing the series to Nintendo minds too), and Three Houses. Don't y'all think it's a little quick to discount it?

if Nintendo goes all in on "Fire Emblem x Persona!" in the marketing I think that can push some units

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
If TMS just outsells the Wii U version I'll consider it a success for what it is

That said, since it's release we've had Fire Emblem Heroes, Persona 5 (Joker in Smash bringing the series to Nintendo minds too), and Three Houses. Don't y'all think it's a little quick to discount it?

if Nintendo goes all in on "Fire Emblem x Persona!" in the marketing I think that can push some units
I agree it's definitely got chances to sell.
They even called it a crossover between Fire Emblem and the "The World of Atlus" instead of SMT when they announced the port.
Problem is that is like the only marketing the game got for the port.
I mean it is a a port, but I don't think uninitiated people that just see the cover art are directly gonna say "Yeah thats Fire Emblem".
I will get it surely.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I agree it's definitely got chances to sell.
They even called it a crossover between Fire Emblem and the "The World of Atlus" instead of SMT when they announced the port.
Problem is that is like the only marketing the game got for the port.
I mean it is a a port, but I don't think uninitiated people that just see the cover art are directly gonna say "Yeah thats Fire Emblem".
I will get it surely.
Now that I think about it yeah there aren't much more opportunities to market the game unless we get a January direct.

coming sooner than I expected. Shame if they don't go hard, they could hype it up

Jun 17, 2019
Guys can you add to the 2020 list the following:

Asky Games /Otomate

Code Realize -The Guardian's of Rebirth (NA/JP) Feb 6th 2020
Collar x Malice Unlimited (NA/JP) 2020
Olympia Soriee (JP)

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I think TMS is going to do better than it did on Wii U, at least. It probably won't be a runaway success, but it will do just fine.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Absolutely stay away from the Switch version. The game's whole deal was using badges to deliver precise attacks via stylus and Switch version basically kills the best part of the game. Also Switch version doesn't have second screen Shiki gameplay which was another important part of the game.

Get the DS version if you find one.
I wish they did a 3DS version in 2016 or so instead.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see TMS flopping. There shouldn't be high expectations. It should sell well enough by being on Switch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
doing better than the Wii U version will be a given, but it definitely won't do "ongoing series" numbers. it was one of those games that I expected to come sooner in the Switch's life and it would have benefited immensely from it. this much later, it's hard to say just how high it will go, but the answer is definitely not as high as it could have

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the next direct is a general direct, maybe we'll get 3 brand new first party games retail games again in one presentation. No ports or remakes, remasters, etc. It'd be nice to have that again.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never forget arguing with so many people here when Labo was announced who swore up and down the thing was going to end up in every school in the country, and it would be a massive hit just from the education sector. Teachers currently pay out of pocket for basic supplies, but suddenly there will be room in the budget for Switch consoles and one-time-use cardboard models.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2d metroid
splatoon spin-off
super mario party 2

my guesses if there's gonna be 3 brand new games announced for 2020

Yeah let's think if the first direct gives us 3 games. I don't see Super Paper Mario 2 being announced until E3 though.

Yes ! One at the beginning, two at the end, it was so good in february.

That's why it's arguably the greatest Nintendo direct outside of E3 because of Nintendo's new game announcements. No disrespect to the other games, but I only remember that direct having Links Awakening, Super Mario Maker 2 and a brand new IP in Astral Chain.

Since SMP2 would be a Q4 release, they would announce it way later.

Replace it with Paper Mario and it is a great list.

I agree SPM2 will most likely come later.

Let's say this is the first party announcements in the first general direct.

-Paper Mario RPG
-2D Metroid
-Pikmin 3 Deluxe
-Splatoon spin-off (whatever genre you want)

Nintendo's first party announcements are what make Directs great to me.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Dragon Quest Builders (Square Enix)
Octopath Traveler (Square Enix)
Go Vacation (Bandai Namco)
The World Ends With You: Final Remix (Square Enix)
Fitness Boxing (Imagineer, 2019 in NA)

Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square Enix)
Daemon X Machina (Marvelous)
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition (Square Enix)

Wonder which third-party games Nintendo will push/publish in 2020 🤔 I assume Trials of Mana will be one of them.
Bravely Default

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Wonder which third-party games Nintendo will push/publish in 2020 🤔 I assume Trials of Mana will be one of them.
Bravely Default

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt IntSys has 2 big projects at once. This is not DS anymore, games need more manpower than ever. And don't forget some of the employees were working on Three Houses. It's either Paper Mario or WarioWare and I say it's WarioWare.

Also I don't think Metroid would also have 2 games in one direct. Obviously Nintendo don't see it as an important franchise (6 years between Other M and Federation Force!) 2 games is overkill. As your king hinted, it's safe to say this Direct will have Prime Trilogy HD.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I really doubt IntSys has 2 big projects at once. This is not DS anymore, games need more manpower than ever. And don't forget some of the employees were working on Three Houses. It's either Paper Mario or WarioWare and I say it's WarioWare.

Intelligent Systems has multiple teams working on different projects at a time. Remember, Koei Tecmo did most of the heavy lifting for Three Houses. There's more stuff in development, as IS usually releases at least one game a year. They'll just arrive at different points.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Intelligent Systems has multiple teams working on different projects at a time. Remember, Koei Tecmo did most of the heavy lifting for Three Houses. There's more stuff in development, as IS usually releases at least one game a year. They'll just arrive at different points.

I have to say, if both WarioWare and Paper Mario are slated for this year, I'd be really shocked. As I said before this is no DS or 3DS, game dev times are much longer (Yoshi Crafted World took ~4 years), two games in one year would be a gigantic achievement.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I have to say, if both WarioWare and Paper Mario are slated for this year, I'd be really shocked. As I said before this is no DS or 3DS, game dev times are much longer (Yoshi Crafted World took ~4 years), two games in one year would be a gigantic achievement.

It didn't. More like 2.5-3 years, which is a perfectly normal development time for a game. While big Switch games require more development resources now, you and the rest of ERA once again vastly over-exaggerate modern game development. Dev times and team sizes depend entirely on the scope of the project, and that varies wildly from game to game. Splatoon 1 and 2 were made in just 2 years, while BotW needed 5 for example.

As I said earlier, IS has multiple teams working on multiple games at once, they just have different schedules and team sizes.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
doing better than the Wii U version will be a given, but it definitely won't do "ongoing series" numbers. it was one of those games that I expected to come sooner in the Switch's life and it would have benefited immensely from it. this much later, it's hard to say just how high it will go, but the answer is definitely not as high as it could have
This is also my worry about anything Metroid :/

Like if Prime 4 releases too late in the Switch's life and everyone's ready for Switch 2 and the series underperforms again. That's the biggest potential bummer of the delay imo.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is also my worry about anything Metroid :/

Like if Prime 4 releases too late in the Switch's life and everyone's ready for Switch 2 and the series underperforms again. That's the biggest potential bummer of the delay imo.
they're better off waiting until Switch 2 releases and cross-gen that bitch.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Just make it cross gen if it comes that late. It'll sell near 10 million

A Metroid game selling 10 million.... I wonder if we'd ever see those days. As of now, best selling Metroid game is 3 Corruption with 1.3 million, per Wikipedia. (VGChartz says Other M did 1.36 but I don't trust VGChartz)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Metroid game selling 10 million.... I wonder if we'd ever see those days. As of now, best selling Metroid game is 3 Corruption with 1.3 million, per Wikipedia. (VGChartz says Other M did 1.36 but I don't trust VGChartz)
Metroid Prime 1 did nearly 3M.

if you want to make Metroid an even better seller, you'd have to abandon metroid conventions. or start adding decent multiplayer

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10 mil was hyperbole, but if it's a GOTY type of game, then I don't see why it couldn't do over 5 million as a cross gen game.

If Nintendo's next system comes out in 3-4 years I don't see Nintendo having a new Zelda game or Mario game ready for launch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10 mil was hyperbole, but if it's a GOTY type of game, then I don't see why it couldn't do over 5 million as a cross gen game.

If Nintendo's next system comes out in 3-4 years I don't see Nintendo having a new Zelda game or Mario game ready for launch.
what if we can get Pokemon Gen 9 as a launch title! :O

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Dragon Quest Monsters 4
Bravely Collected

Status
Not open for further replies.