• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Do we think that if Switch hardware numbers look like they will meet the FY forecast that Animal Crossing will be delayed? Or are we expecting it to be delayed anyway?

The FY forecast is already a near certainty and will likely be easily surpassed. Don't think that would affect their release date.

Also AC isn't frontloaded it won't stop moving HW within a couple of weeks of launch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Do we think that if Switch hardware numbers look like they will meet the FY forecast that Animal Crossing will be delayed? Or are we expecting it to be delayed anyway?

They are 100% surpassing their FY forecast, and quite easily too.

But Animal Crossing isn't getting delayed regardless. When was the last time Nintendo delayed a game that had a firm release date? IIRC it's been a very, very long time.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
You gonna be disappointed hard my friend if you are hyping yourself that much already.

Just a reminder that last year we got Joker in Smash and the year before we got a Bayo 3 announcement.
Last year we got Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 announcement (it's a first party game) and Joker in Smash
2017 we got Bayo 1&2, Bayo 3, BOTW second DLC reveal and shadowdrop.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did we get only 1 announcement each year?
If that's the case I will lower my hype by quite a bit.
Nope

Game Awards 2014- BotW gameplay revealed, Star Fox Zero, Super Mario Maker 2 and Codename Steam shown
Game Awards 2016- BotW trailer, BotW gameplay
Game Awards 2017- Bayonetta 1+2 for Switch, Bayonetta 3 for Switch, BotW dlc shadow drop
Game Awards 2018- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Joker for Smash

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My hype for expecting 2-3 announcements is justified by all the Game Awards since it started. 2015 is an exception with Iwata passing. 2016 was Nintendo's lowest point. They had Switch coming.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I predict Metroid 5 as the brand new Nintendo game announcement of TGA (they had one at both 2017 and 2018), if I go wild and dream about it being the game Retro was working on before MP4, then I also predict Retro Studios lol

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda feel the the Video Game Awards are always painfully overhyped when it comes to announcements, in that there's this expectation for BIG NINTENDO/SONY/MICROSOFT GAMES and in reality a vast majority of the announcements end up being indie titles, DLC, and other curveballs. Each and every one welcome, but yeah.

I think odds are good on Nintendo dropping something, but I'm expecting a full Bayonetta 3 trailer more than anything. And then a Jan/Feb/March Direct outlining the remainder of 2020.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My final Game Awards predictions

-BotW 2 trailer
-Smash character
-Retro's new game

t1576197000z4.png
i'm gonna miss all the shit posting fun, it's 5 AM for me :(

Dodoow

Oct 30, 2017
I predict Metroid 5 as the brand new Nintendo game announcement of TGA (they had one at both 2017 and 2018), if I go wild and dream about it being the game Retro was working on before MP4, then I also predict Retro Studios lol

That would be great!
Then they have to do it the Bayonetta way and announce the old trilogy among it.
PLEASE Nintendo

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Okay i need someone in the know about the TGAs tell me if it's worth staying up past 1.30 am (when it airs in mainland europe) or not, under consideration of the following facts:

- Full work day the day after the event
- Married with children
- 35+ years *old*
- regularly falls asleep while playing on evenings

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Okay i need someone in the know about the TGAs tell me if it's worth staying up past 1.30 am (when it airs in mainland europe) or not, under consideration of the following facts:

- Married with children
- 35+ years *old*
I'm not really particularly in the know, but I would give a resounding "It's not worth it!" Even if there are E3-tier announcements, the show as a whole tends to be paced more like an awards show. You ever try to watch the American Oscars awards or Grammys? They tend to put people to sleep, and that's before it's 2 in the morning. Get your sleep, man.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

- Married with children
- 35+ years *old*
Not worth it because it's not 20 minutes of announcements like in a Direct, it's a long show. Enjoy your sleep and then enjoy the announcements next morning.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

- Married with children
- 35+ years *old*
Europe too. Not worth it. I don't work the day after, I'll probably have fun, but even then I know I'll be reaaaally tired the day after. I'll watch it, but even in my situation it's barely worth it.
In 2017 I had a lot a lot of fun watching it because Nintendo won so many Awards and there was a lot great reveals, not only from Nintendo. (Also memes. "Fuck the Oscar" and Reggie going "Geoff... You really think I came all the way out here just for this shit ? Bring the Bayo 3 trailer !")

But last year I got bored and stopped watching it midway, and I missed Joker's reveal. I was bit disappointed to have missed it live (waking up, going to youtube having in mind "let's see that glorious Metroid Prime Trilogy trailer" and instead seeing "Joker in Smash reveal trailer" was really fun tho lol), but I don't regret going to sleep instead given that last year I worked the day after in the afternoon.
So yeah, honestly have a good night of sleep instead ! It's a very long show, you won't go to bed until 4am if you watch it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. Would KOS-MOS be a good reveal for a Smash character at the Game Awards? I think kind of. I could see it going either way. She's not a big character and not known by many since she was in the Xenosaga games and showed up in XC2.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Would KOS-MOS be a good reveal for a Smash character at the Game Awards? I think kind of. I could see it going either way. She's not a big character and not known by many since she was in the Xenosaga games and showed up in XC2.
for Game Awards, probably not

but you know who would be perfect? Doom Slayer!

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

- Married with children
- 35+ years *old*

It's just game announcements. Not worth it in my opinion, especially with work on the next day.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I was against the ide of Botw2 in TGA but I
Already preparing myself to be disappointed since I'm hoping for a 2.5D Metroid "totally new or remake" and\or Prime Trilogy Switch announcements :(
New 2D Metroid or Super Metroid could be true but I don't know if we gonna see it in TGA. On the other hand Botw2 could happen in the end, I was skeptical but I see that BotW got a lot of exposure in TGA.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
They are 100% surpassing their FY forecast, and quite easily too.

But Animal Crossing isn't getting delayed regardless. When was the last time Nintendo delayed a game that had a firm release date? IIRC it's been a very, very long time.
My god i hope you are right, cant wait for the new Animal Crossing.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019

- Married with children
- 35+ years *old*
As someone who enjoys big video game commercials:

Go to bed, enjoy a night's uninterrupted sleep, and then watch the trailer highlights when you get up. You get all the benefit and none of the sleep deprivation.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
Contents about BotW2, Bayonetta 3 or MP4 would be amazing but all of theses games are already known.

I wish they can reveal a title no one is expecting, like Odyssey 2 or F-Zero Switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Contents about BotW2, Bayonetta 3 or MP4 would be amazing but all of theses games are already known.

I wish they can reveal a title no one is expecting, like Odyssey 2 or F-Zero Switch.
The reason I never predict a new first party Nintendo game is because Nintendo has never revealed a new first party game at the Game Awards. It would be very cool and surprising if they did announce one.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be watching Thursday night football instead of TGAs. It's pretty damn cringey in general so I don't feel like I'll be missing much.

It's nice to see the Switch logo and then wonder what's about to be announced but I don't really think it's worth staying up late and sitting through the entire slog to see those few surprises. I'll just find the relevant threads on Era later.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
That's why I can't be completely hyped by the Game Awards. Or at least not enough to stay awake at night. E3 is really something else.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah ... TGS run multiple hours ... forgot that somehow.

Thanks y'all. I'll just play some games until i fall alseep and catch the news the morning after. Officially too old for shit all-nighter shit. ^^

E:

Jo Indie Direct tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.