• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't really call it watching with strangers as it's more like watching a podcast to a thing thats going on.
You wouldn't watch one with a random youtuber but one that is hosted by people you know from their channel, whose reviews, stances on things or personality you like.
It's watching it with fellow enthusiasts that like similar things to you.
Kinda like looking at reactions in the forum here only woth live audio.
I mean we here are all kind of strangees too, right?
And it's not like every Stream is people just screaming in hype to everything that is shown, thats the noce thing, you can find one tailors to your interest.

yea we are strangers here but we are interacting with each other. What you are talking about is more like if we were all lurkers watching other people chat online.

anyway I'm not bagging it, just never been something I've ever looked into. Not just live-streaming events, but gaming youtubers in general. I've never tried watching any of them besides a couple times I saw links here on this site and they were all horrible. The ones that stick out: 1 was a video game dunkey review that seemed like it was made for 12 year olds, 1 was an angry joe video I started watching cuz I thought it was that little skinny pasty funny youtuber also called joe, but turned out it was a weird man child doing skits for 12 year olds, and I saw a Jim Sterling thing where an annoying twat was dressed as a nazi complaining about shit, also seemed to be for 12 year olds. I didn't make it through any of those videos.

I've never seen any easy allies topics in gaming side.. am i to assume they have OT in Hangouts?

antonio

Jan 12, 2018
I am in Europe and I will watch the show only if I wake up by accident, which happens many nights. If I don`t catch it, I will see the news in the morning!

I know it is nearly impossible, but I would like Reggie to deliver the promised "new Donkey Kong experience". It would be exciting!

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
From an American standpoint it's also catered to us since it comes on when majority are off of work in the afternoon/evening.
This is the issue for me - I'm teaching at 9am on the Friday morning, so being up till 4:30am isn't really an option. It also means that, when I've tried to watch the show in the past, the slow pace hasn't really worked well with me being up in the early hours. As late afternoon or evening viewing, it's probably a better experience.

The other side is that this year it coincides with UK general election coverage, where most of the results will be flooding through at the same time the Game Awards are on. I'd rather try and get a good night's sleep and catch up with things on the Friday. Fingers crossed for some Zelda goodness to distract from politics.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The answer is simple

After the Wii U, Tsujimoto didn't believe in Nintendo consoles. It was an educated guess. It turned out to be wrong. Oh well. It will take them longer to spin up the gears.

I'd let 2020 finish before you declare it to be a matter of drama, because I imagine the only hurt feelings here are on the part of Nintendo fans and not any actual companies.

That doesn't exactly explain why Capcom seemed very high on it in early 2017, talking openly about porting RE Engine and how Nintendo increased the amount of RAM when they requested it.

And I'm not talking about hurt feelings, I'm talking about two businesses stubbornly refusing to budge on certain issues (like publishing physical games in Europe).

RE7's loading is going to always prevent it from coming to Switch locally. They would have to redesign the way the game works.

That's the first I've ever heard of this. Does it have some special loading technique? What exactly prevents that technique from being used on Switch?

Wth. Is everyone European except me lol

I'm American and as an American I'll be doing my sworn duty and watching Thursday Night Football instead.

(Go Ravens!)

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
yea we are strangers here but we are interacting with each other. What you are talking about is more like if we were all lurkers watching other people chat online.

anyway I'm not bagging it, just never been something I've ever looked into. Not just live-streaming events, but gaming youtubers in general. I've never tried watching any of them besides a couple times I saw links here on this site and they were all horrible. The ones that stick out: 1 was a video game dunkey review that seemed like it was made for 12 year olds, 1 was an angry joe video I started watching cuz I thought it was that little skinny pasty funny youtuber also called joe, but turned out it was a weird man child doing skits for 12 year olds, and I saw a Jim Sterling thing where an annoying twat was dressed as a nazi complaining about shit, also seemed to be for 12 year olds. I didn't make it through any of those videos.

I've never seen any easy allies topics in gaming side.. am i to assume they have OT in Hangouts?
This reeks of
old.jpg

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
12:30pm for me. And I'm in luck because, despite being at work, my day will be slow and generally uneventful. I can easily have the stream running while I punch away at other stuff.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017

The future is now old man

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Bad timing for us Europeans aside, I remember TGA having way too many commercial breaks and I consume all my entertainment (sport, movies, series) ad-free.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
So a bit of a tangent, but whatever Nintendo can deliver at the Game Awards for their 2020 lineup is really what excites me. I'm not expecting much, I'm not treating this like a Direct, but even something like a trailer for Bayonetta 3 will keep me happy.

I just wrapped up Link's Awakening and unfortunately, for me, this year has been a total dud for my interests on the Switch. Astral Chain disappointed me pretty significantly and I still haven't finished it, and Link's Awakening has just aged abysmally for my taste and I sadly didn't enjoy playing through the remake anywhere near as much as my memories are fond of the original experience. It's gorgeous, has a marvellous setting, and the soundtrack is beautiful, but man I was just so bored by its obtuse clumsiness, combat, and pacing. Just one of those cases where the game I remember in my head did not live up to the reality of playing it through again, even with the flashy visuals. Yoshi's demo was junk as well, but I expected as much.

The rest is stuff that just hasn't interested me. Pokemon and Fire Emblem are games I know are great, and people with taste I trust love them, but they're not for me. Fire Emblem maybe eventually, but not until I can give it the time it deserves and have nothing else stealing my interest. Super Mario Maker 2 falls into that category as well; I'm sure it's excellent, it's just not on my radar right now. Luigi's Mansion 3 I'm confident I'll enjoy, and I'll be getting that next once I've sold Link's Awakening. And I liked the demo for Daemon x Machina, so I need to get around to that.

But of what I've actually purchased and played, the only Switch exclusive game I really enjoyed was Travis Strikes Again. And that's not exclusive any more.

So yeah. Not at all a dig at the line-up in of itself. I'm in a minority with Astral Chain and Link's Awakening, and like I said I know Pokemon and Fire Emblem are great. But man it sucks to have basically enjoyed one single title over the entire twelve months of the year.

Really, really hoping 2020 has more to my taste. I'm less likely to be disappointed with Bayonetta 3 unless Platinum really fuck it up somehow (although a return to Bayo 1 style would be much appreciated). If Breath of the Wild 2 somehow makes 2020 I seriously doubt that'll disappoint. And I mean fuck, I've played them to death, but....Metroid Prime Trilogy ported across would be absolute bliss. Fingers crossed there's some surprises, appealing to me, to fill the gaps.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i was thinking a trailer for MUA3 X-Men DLC was a possibility, but since it seems like it's coming way into 2020, that's not very likely.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine Marvel dlc trailer and smash character are Nintendo's announcements this year...lol (I know it won't be...😬)

David Kjellson

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
It starts at 2:30 in mainland Europe? Damn, I thought it was 1:30.

I'll be going up 3:45 on Friday morning, so the Nintendo stuff have probably not been showed yet. That sucks.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Welp that tweet means that we will probably get something at least (not that it's that surprising).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NoA tweeted again like last year!

last year they did it. Difference they told us about Smash last year. Also this year they made sure to let us know about the "games come alive" part hmm

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing. I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing. I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing. I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing. I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing. I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing. I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing. I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing. I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing. I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing. I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing. I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing. I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing. I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing. I will not waste 3 hours of my life watching this thing.
Supposedly it's 2.5 hours long so you're good to watch!

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Given that the cool people all expect BotW 2 there, i wonder what the trailer could show. I'm pretty certain on the official name reveal. Maybe we see the other Hyrule race's Champions again too? Although their storyline was pretty much over in BotW 1.

lol 'Games come alive' makes me think of Mega 64 skits or something

I'm up for another Mega 64 X IGA video, make it so! ^^

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Even as a European, it was worth being up last year for the Joker reveal. One of the hypest Nintendo moments I can remember.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'll go over to a friend's place and maybe play some Shovel Knight Showdown during the slow parts. Hopefully gonna be a fun time.

Oct 26, 2017
I was determined not to watch TGA but I have a habit of staying up through election nights so I might end up with it on anyway.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
why are people talking about gaming youtubers being for twelve year olds in the nintendo direct speculation thread

i'm not mad i'm just confused

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo of America's tweet in 2016 lol. It was a bad year so they had to let people know at the time I guess.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wasn't even kidding, i honestly hadn't heard of that game, and i'm not a mobile snub, i'm up on my f2p mobile game knowledge.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So with Nintendo retweeting the event, we can safely assume at least 25 Nintendo announcements will be present, right?

I hope for BOTW 2 at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.