• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Merry Christmas and happy holidays all - I've got a stack of videogame books to read when I'm not getting through my backlog of actual videogames.

I managed a little time on Pokemon Shield today and got my first badge. I've got Dragon Quest XI S finally, too, but that can wait.

Here's to a good 2020.

1 gift from mazi

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Deleted member 10737!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Deleted member 10737 said:
happy holidays to nintendoEra!

it's not much but a few more bucks and you can get yourself a nice picross game or something.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Nintendo Switch (NA) Nintendo Switch (NA): Nintendo eShop $5 gift card - Won by TDLink TDLink (32 entries)

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I suggest you to wait a little for those. Aspyr said there will be more surprises like Jedi Knight on Switch and KOTOR seems to be good pick for the next HD remaster.

My personal wishes from them are Force Unleashed 1-2 (they may not be classic SW games buy they were super fun) and Republic Commando.

KOTOR will probably make it over but I don't really expect them to touch the Rogue Squadron games any time soon.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
I find it hard to believe there won't be a direct in January, wouldn't that make a huge gap between these two Smash Bros DLC fighters (Terry and FP5) or am I suffering from temporary amnesia and this was standard wait time?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I find it hard to believe there won't be a direct in January, wouldn't that make a huge gap between these two Smash Bros DLC fighters (Terry and FP5) or am I suffering from temporary amnesia and this was standard wait time?
I don't think a Smash reveal being due would necessarily make a January Direct a lock. They can easily reveal Challenger Pack 5 in it's own presentation; though I don't think that'll happen. I definitely think we'll see a January Direct with a Smash reveal, but Smash isn't really a factor in that prediction.

In terms of the gap between reveals or releases; nothing can beat the gap between Joker and Hero in either case.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
I don't think a Smash reveal being due would necessarily make a January Direct a lock. They can easily reveal Challenger Pack 5 in it's own presentation; though I don't think that'll happen. I definitely think we'll see a January Direct with a Smash reveal, but Smash isn't really a factor in that prediction.

In terms of the gap between reveals or releases; nothing can beat the gap between Joker and Hero in either case.

Really? I would think the anticipation for Smash DLC fighters would definitely factor in. What do you think actually matters when it comes to correct predictions on Nintendo Direct streams? Also, do we know how far in advance does Nintendo usually announce their Directs? I guess it varies from the two I've been here for off the top of my head, but I was just wondering in general.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Really? I would think the anticipation for Smash DLC fighters would definitely factor in. What do you think actually matters when it comes to correct predictions on Nintendo Direct streams? Also, do we know how far in advance does Nintendo usually announce their Directs? I guess it varies from the two I've been here for off the top of my head, but I was just wondering in general.
I think our general lack of knowledge about Nintendo's 2020 lineup, something The Game Awards didn't help much with, is the main reason why a January Direct should happen. They have announcements to make (Smash is one of them; but again, that could happen separately if necessary), and I feel like they won't wait until February for the year's first Direct.

In recent years, they've revealed General Directs 32 hours in advance.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why Nintendo would announce a Smash character by itself. It would be in a Nintendo direct. This helps to believe there will be a January direct along with getting more Animal Crossing info out as soon as possible for preorders.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
I think our general lack of knowledge about Nintendo's 2020 lineup, something The Game Awards didn't help much with, is the main reason why a January Direct should happen. They have announcements to make (Smash is one of them; but again, that could happen separately if necessary), and I feel like they won't wait until February for the year's first Direct.

In recent years, they've revealed General Directs 32 hours in advance.

I see. There's also something exciting about FP5 in the sense that there are no rumors yet whereas the four before they all were kinda leaked in some way or another.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
I don't see why Nintendo would announce a Smash character by itself. It would be in a Nintendo direct. This helps to believe there will be a January direct along with getting more Animal Crossing info out as soon as possible for preorders.
I was thinking that as well. I think New Horizons for Animal Crossing + Smash FP5 and new DLC announcement in January is imminent. Especially since New Horizons is releasing relatively early, I find it hard for it to only make one sppearance in a direct and it being like a month before release.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Remember when we needed a January Direct last year to reveal the release date for Yoshi's Crafted World? ;)

Smash characters definitely have a big enough draw to justify a separate presentation; if the Direct isn't in January, there's no reason to believe they couldn't just reveal the character by itself. Of course, I think we're getting a January Direct with a Smash announcement; but after last year I think it'd be wise to keep more of an open mind on these things, don't you think?

Oct 27, 2017
Do y'all think Animal Crossing is getting delayed? Starting to feel like unless we get some Direct dedicated towards it in January, it's getting released later than March.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tbh looking at how well switch, pokemon, luigi's mansion 3 and the other evergreen titles are doing during the holidays, delaying animal crossing was the right decision. it would have been overkill.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
TBH Animal Crossing could have released earlier imo but March 20th is a strategic date (game benefits strongly to two fiscal years).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
TBH Animal Crossing could have released earlier imo but March 20th is a strategic date (game benefits strongly to two fiscal years).
They tried to pull the same thing with Crafted World last year (the game was complete and uploaded on the eShop servers in December); but I think Animal Crossing will be infinitely more successful in that regard.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking that as well. I think New Horizons for Animal Crossing + Smash FP5 and new DLC announcement in January is imminent. Especially since New Horizons is releasing relatively early, I find it hard for it to only make one sppearance in a direct and it being like a month before release.

yeah they'll give AC a segment in the January direct and then give it its own dedicated direct in probably February
Remember when we needed a January Direct last year to reveal the release date for Yoshi's Crafted World? ;)

Smash characters definitely have a big enough draw to justify a separate presentation; if the Direct isn't in January, there's no reason to believe they couldn't just reveal the character by itself. Of course, I think we're getting a January Direct with a Smash announcement; but after last year I think it'd be wise to keep more of an open mind on these things, don't you think?

I was just thinking every character so far has been announced in a bigger presentation be it a general direct or Game Awards. I think Nintendo will continue this with the last fighter and then Sakurai will do his in-depth video in February.

But yes it is possible they announce a Smash direct only because I could them announce the fifth character plus the next character

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
They tried to pull the same thing with Crafted World last year (the game was complete and uploaded on the eShop servers in December); but I think Animal Crossing will be infinitely more successful in that regard.
Same with Kirby in 2018 iirc.

The last half of March is usually full of games because of these financial considerations.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kirby then Yoshi then Animal Crossing. They always do this March game. Animal Crossing is finally the big meat and potatoes games. Well BotW was March 2017.

I want Nintendo to push for a big title every March if they can.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
The greatness that was BOTW, Odyssey, XBC2, M+R and MK8D in one year has not been topped by 2019's combo of FETH, Astral Chain, DQXI S and Pokémon Sword. 2017 is still the best year of the Switch for me.

Just finished Act 2 of DQXI S, taking a break and playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Ori right now (unfortunately, it reminds me I don't really like 2d platformers, but it's the best one I've tried so far and I'm going to keep trying). After that, I'm going for a 3rd playthrough in FETH (Blue Lions route).
DQXI S is in my top 3 favorite games this year. Enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.