• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrĂ©e (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you say but I meant third party games in general. The reason I love Nintendo consoles is because of A class first party support but I don't play all Nintendo IP and I like variety. I want more third party content that really is made with Switch in mind. I don't think that it's unrealistic for companies to make Switch exclusives because they sell a lot of copies.

That said, botw2 made for Switch is going to be on another level.
I think you'll get quite a few of them. From the top of my mind I can think of BD2, NMH3, Deadly Premonition 2, Silksong, Rune Factory 5...

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Tour has a lot of things that need to be carried over the next console Mario Kart; ignoring basic stuff like characters, kart parts and courses:
  • The Points/Combo system.
  • Special Items returning from Double Dash.
  • Missions returning from Mario Kart DS.
  • Challenges and Badges being incorporated; taken from ARMS.
  • More alternate costumes for each character (while Tour counts them as individual characters, I don't think they would do that in this case).
  • Reverse and Trick Courses.
Plenty of cool stuff currently locked to a mobile game.

Deleted member 51982

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I get what you say but I meant third party games in general. The reason I love Nintendo consoles is because of A class first party support but I don't play all Nintendo IP and I like variety. I want more third party content that really is made with Switch in mind. I don't think that it's unrealistic for companies to make Switch exclusives because they sell a lot of copies.

That said, botw2 made for Switch is going to be on another level.
Gentle reminder / shilling that No More Heroes III is happening. It's entirely made with the Switch in mind and will use the joycon heavily both on and out of combat. Suda51 making the wiimote act as a cellphone was one of its most creative uses so we can trust him to implement it well, and with the latest trailer having an N64 and the Zelda shirts / spin attack in TSA, I'm sure we'll get plenty of Nintendo references too.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tour has a lot of things that need to be carried over the next console Mario Kart; ignoring basic stuff like characters, kart parts and courses:
  • The Points/Combo system.
  • Special Items returning from Double Dash.
  • Missions returning from Mario Kart DS.
  • Challenges and Badges being incorporated; taken from ARMS.
  • More alternate costumes for each character (while Tour counts them as individual characters, I don't think they would do that in this case).
  • Reverse and Trick Courses.
Plenty of cool stuff currently locked to a mobile game.
I wouldn't say it's locked. Nintendo seems to treat it as Mario Kart 9

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
What happened to that Online play invitation function which was added in recent Switch OS update? I mean it's good that finally it's here but games are not updated so something like Mario Kart will never work with it. Pointless.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Super Mario Party 2 is announced, will we finally have real Mario Party online with friends? It's time. The half ass attempt they Did with SMP nobody cared about

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart 8 is such a fucking great game, but I really, really want to see more single player content in these kart racers.

It's a tired argument, but this is why Diddy Kong Racing is still my gold standard. Not because the core gameplay is necessarily the most balanced, but the three vehicles swapping between races, explorable HUB, discoverable secrets, boss races, etc, alongside a couple of unlockable characters, made for a super engaging and exciting single player experience. Mario Kart DS is the closest from Nintendo to hit that mark, just because if its regular rotation of challenges.

This is actually what excited me most about that dumb Star Fox Grand Prix rumour; the notion it had a Diddy Kong Racing-like single player component.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Who do I have to contact in order for them to start a bogus rumor of all three of the Tomb Raider reboot games coming to the Switch in one package?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 8 is such a fucking great game, but I really, really want to see more single player content in these kart racers.

It's a tired argument, but this is why Diddy Kong Racing is still my gold standard. Not because the core gameplay is necessarily the most balanced, but the three vehicles swapping between races, explorable HUB, discoverable secrets, boss races, etc, alongside a couple of unlockable characters, made for a super engaging and exciting single player experience. Mario Kart DS is the closest from Nintendo to hit that mark, just because if its regular rotation of challenges.

This is actually what excited me most about that dumb Star Fox Grand Prix rumour; the notion it had a Diddy Kong Racing-like single player component.
the DK racing stages that allowed more than one type of vehicle were the worst ones.
At least the ones that allowed one ground based vehicle and the airplane.

It's one of those "better on paper" type features.
accommodating airplane and car in the same stage led to garbage level designs.
The HUB world was the most interesting thing definitely.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling like when MK9 comes it should bring some big changes with it. The series has been stuck to a pretty regular formula of 32 tracks, battle mode, and online, and not much else.

I'm hoping we see some ideas that change up the core gameplay come along like with Tour. The combo gameplay, and R & T tracks are all great fun. Also a single player campaign would add great value to the package, along with regular online events like other Nintendo titles have.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I think you'll get quite a few of them. From the top of my mind I can think of BD2, NMH3, Deadly Premonition 2, Silksong, Rune Factory 5...
Yeah I think that the situation will improve especially from Japanese devs. I even think Switch will get its own Monster Hunter and we heard of The World Ends With You rumors. That's why I'm more excited about 2020 because I think we will see more exclusives but I don't want the Switch library to be only rpg focused.. More games like Zombi and Red Steel are welcome and also a good game of ping pong please.

TK Ink

Feb 17, 2018
Would love to see another third-party indy collab (ala Cadence of Hyrule):

Team Cherry (Hollow Knight), from the ground up, metroidvania redesign/remake of Zelda 2.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
I'm feeling like when MK9 comes it should bring some big changes with it. The series has been stuck to a pretty regular formula of 32 tracks, battle mode, and online, and not much else.

I'm hoping we see some ideas that change up the core gameplay come along like with Tour. The combo gameplay, and R & T tracks are all great fun. Also a single player campaign would add great value to the package, along with regular online events like other Nintendo titles have.
I'd love a change up, but the formula works so I doubt they'd change it substantially. I hope they add in more past modes, I sunk so many hours into the DS challenges and the battle mode in 8Deluxe was glorious. I could see them doing more than two dlc packs or big version updates with extra modes like Smash Ultimate.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Would love to see another third-party indy collab (ala Cadence of Hyrule):

Team Cherry (Hollow Knight), from the ground up, metroidvania redesign/remake of Zelda 2.
I can't believe I'm saying this (as a hardcore metroidvania lover) but I don't think Team Cherry would be the best fit, maybe a more rpg focused dev really double down on what makes Zelda 2 so different from the rest of the games.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Just wanted to say hi, been lurking for over a year, huge Switch fan, best system ever (imo), bring on 2020, thanks to insiders like Zell, Emily, Nate etc. in particular loved that list where we had to fill in the blanks... great work from Emily there.

Anyhow hoping to hear more about Monolith's new IP at the next Direct... we'll see.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Just wanted to say hi, been lurking for over a year, huge Switch fan, best system ever (imo), bring on 2020, thanks to insiders like Zell, Emily, Nate etc. in particular loved that list where we had to fill in the blanks... great work from Emily there.

Anyhow hoping to hear more about Monolith's new IP at the next Direct... we'll see.
Welcome to the madness that is Nintendo discussion on ResetEra. Let's just hope that the wait for a Direct isn't that long, or else you'll have to experience everyone here going insane like last January.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to the madness that is Nintendo discussion on ResetEra. Let's just hope that the wait for a Direct isn't that long, or else you'll have to experience everyone here going insane like last January.

A Direct is always exciting of course. But fans shouldn't be feeling too anxious about the next one IMO. For one thing there's so many games to keep themselves busy with over the holidays. I only just started Luigi's Mansion 3.

But from what's been said over the past few pages, a January direct seems more likely than February.

Btw, hope you're not too affected by the bushfires in Sydney.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I'd like to suggest a second poll that asks how long in January it will take for Era to melt down if the Direct is indeed in February.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

Welcome! I lurked NeoGAF from the ages of 13 to 17 (when Era started), so to me you're welcome company

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Welcome! I lurked NeoGAF from the ages of 13 to 17 (when Era started), so to me you're welcome company
Not the same age range, but I also lurked GAF for years. Finally joined Era because the January 2018 Direct hype was too strong.

i just want eternal darkness 2 is that so much to ask
Hey, at least Nintendo cares enough about Eternal Darkness to continue renewing their trademark for it.

Custom Robo and Doshin aren't as lucky.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
32865127196_270094f3f0_b.jpg

3D World marketed with tabletop mode would make big bucks, not porting it (or maybe 3D Wrld 2?) would be a huge missed opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.