• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So many things in this list that are so wrong

Why the hell would they bring back Pikmin 1 when 3 is much more suitable, also it's pretty backward going back to the mecanic of the first game.

Bayonetta 3 on July? Are you smoking?

All of those november release, i dont know if you are joking or actually serious
Golden Sun Golf and Disaster Year of a Crisis weren't obvious enough that this was a joke?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be perfectly acceptable to have more linear temples like older Zelda games while also maintaining an open world game.

They don't need to lock items and abilities behind Temples/Dungeons. Make them strictly story related and have the completion give you gameplay modifiers just like BotW.

I mentioned it in another post, but I do think Nintendo can do an optional straight up classic Zelda dungeon. As an optional dungeon you'd need a specific item in the world to go into it and go through for some super rare item. I would like that.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Anything that encourages exploration will be small self-contained puzzle units with a reward when solving it.

That is, a shrine with another name.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More linear dungeons are possible, but I don't personally expect it. Specific items required to complete a dungeon won't come back, though. You will have everything you need to beat each dungeon at the start of the game.
We'll see. Maybe a combination of the dungeon is open, but there's a secret area in it that you need a specific item to get into. I think they could do a couple optional classic dungeons. It would be very cool and worth it for the prize.

This is why we need more info! There's so much to speculate on with BotW 2. Ugh I wished we got info at the Game Awards. 😑

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mentioned it in another post, but I do think Nintendo can do an optional straight up classic Zelda dungeon. As an optional dungeon you'd need a specific item in the world to go into it and go through for some super rare item. I would like that.
Make it like Skyward Sword where the dungeons serve to craft and power up the Master Sword. You can beat the game without it, but the Master Sword eases the difficulty of the final dungeon, just like in BotW.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No More Heroes 3 is most definitely Q4. If anything I'm slightly expecting it to slip into Q1 2021, unless Suda's been fibbing about how long it's been in development - seems really sus for NMH3 to have a development time roughly equaling that of TSA.

Bayonetta 3, I think that'll be Q3. I'm feeling pretty confident that we'll be seeing it next Direct.

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, we need a Nintendo Direct

There isn't a lot with a date other than Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Animal Crossing, and the Megaman Zero collection

Jan 11, 2018
No More Heroes 3 is most definitely Q4. If anything I'm slightly expecting it to slip into Q1 2021, unless Suda's been fibbing about how long it's been in development - seems really sus for NMH3 to have a development time roughly equaling that of TSA.

My thoughts as well. I don't think releasing in Q4 is a good idea next year. I don't think it's likely to be ready anyhow. I really hope they take their time with the game and don't rush it out. I'd be happy to wait until Summer 2021... Release it in July or something which is typically a very down month.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom

Bayonetta 3, I think that'll be Q3. I'm feeling pretty confident that we'll be seeing it next Direct.
I thought I was the only one doubting a 2020 release for NMH3, I feel a bit better now.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Yeah, it's too soon after TSA for a 2020 release of NMH 3.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Make it like Skyward Sword where the dungeons serve to craft and power up the Master Sword. You can beat the game without it, but the Master Sword eases the difficulty of the final dungeon, just like in BotW.
Maybe. Not sure if they'd want to copy something they've done before for BotW. Do you think we'll be able to go straight to the final boss again?

Deleted member 51982

Banned
Jan 14, 2019

I was very surprised that Suda was so insistent on a 2020 release. NMH is historically a Jan title in North America so I wouldn't be surprised if if slips. That said, I still think Q4 is feasible. NMH2 was in development for roughly 2 years and NMH1 slightly longer. I suspect deals were inked for III in October/Nov of 2018 and believe they did start active dev in Dec. By July 31st, Suda reported being 25% done in a Famitsu interview and then 50% by Gamescom in Sept. Averaging out to about 35% in 8 months. I think the biggest issue is actually whether to hold off on it releasing. Nintendo is most likely distributing again and I can't imagine if BotW2 is their holiday 2020 title, they'd push III too close to that. It'd get steamrolled.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was very surprised that Suda was so insistent on a 2020 release. NMH is historically a Jan title in North America so I wouldn't be surprised if if slips. That said, I still think Q4 is feasible. NMH2 was in development for roughly 2 years and NMH1 slightly longer. I suspect deals were inked for III in October/Nov of 2018 and believe they did start active dev in Dec. By July 31st, Suda reported being 25% done in a Famitsu interview and then 50% by Gamescom in Sept. Averaging out to about 35% in 8 months. I think the biggest issue is actually whether to hold off on it releasing. Nintendo is most likely distributing again and I can't imagine if BotW2 is their holiday 2020 title, they'd push III too close to that. It'd get steamrolled.
There's definitely a precedent for delaying because of other titles, TSA was actually planned as a December 2018 release originally but they moved it to January because of Smash, so if E3 comes and BOTW2 or Odyssey 2 get slapped with a December month, then a delay for NMH3 is definitely gonna happen.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe. Not sure if they'd want to copy something they've done before for BotW. Do you think we'll be able to go straight to the final boss again?
I think they would still want to prioritize that importance. Maybe they will make the difficulty much harder if you want to go straight to the end?

It's not really that difficult to beat Calamity Ganon without doing any shrines, so maybe they will make a big deal of how difficult it will be to do that this time.

Deleted member 51982

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
There's definitely a precedent for delaying because of other titles, TSA was actually planned as a December 2018 release originally but they moved it to January because of Smash, so if E3 comes and BOTW2 or Odyssey 2 get slapped with a December month, then a delay for NMH3 is definitely gonna happen.
Exactly. As much as TSA was overlooked, between that release date change and the small marketing push it received in stores, it was a moderate success going by eShop rankings in NA and JP and GhM's own statements. Nintendo and GhM are undoubtedly aware that a proper III is generating even more interest and have been doing a much better job marketing it between the E3 reveal and TGA trailer, which was planned a good deal in advanced. With more Direct appearances, 1&2 remasters, etc through 2020 all they need is an open release window and they'll have a hit on their hands.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Alright, I want some quick and simple predictions for 2020. One, both or none for each of these:
  1. Super Mario Odyssey 2 or Super Mario 3D World Deluxe
  2. Paper Mario or WarioWare
  3. 2D Metroid or Metroid Prime Trilogy
  4. Mario Golf or Super Mario Party 2
  5. Main-series Pokémon or a Pokémon spin-off
  6. Tomodachi Life or Rhythm Heaven
  7. New IP or Existing IP for EPD Group 9's next title

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
But why? Nintendo always listens with Zelda. When people bitched about Wind Waker they gave us Twilight Princess. When people said TP was too much like OoT they gave us Skyward Sword. When people said it was too linear, segmented, too much backtracking they gave us BotW.

Traditional dungeons seems like a shoe in. Not saying they all will be, but there will be some
Because that fundamentally goes against what BotW is.

They wouldn't have gotten rid of them in the first place if it wasn't.

They may appease fans with big themed dungeons, but they'd be more open like Hyrule castle. Unless they change up the formula from BotW, we aren't getting "solve puzzles-get item-use item to solve new puzzles and beat boss" dungeons again.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Alright everybody, get ready for
Raccoon's big ol' 2020 predictions post

January:

DIRECT: New Year's Direct, January 15
This will detail several spring games, including the reveal of Pikmin 3+ and Super Mario Odyssey 2, and include the shadow drop of the following Nintendo Switch Online game.

F-ZERO 99
Starting off with a crazy one, here we have my most unreasonable belief for the year. I think that the F-ZERO series has all of the existing elements to make for the perfect ambitious 99 player racing game; this is the "fresh idea" that Miyamoto was waiting for! I think it would take a lot from the SNES original and utilize a stylized low-poly look to maintain a high framerate while using clever lighting and art direction to make the game pop visually. The high speed and lap-based elimination system would make for a great "99" game. As for a developer, I imagine this would come from a third-party collaboration. I think it would be neat if this turned out to come frm one of the Retro projects from the dead years.

Shin Megami Tensei #FE Encore
(Of course)

February:
Brain Age (NA)

NES and SNES Online Update
Stealing this from Mondo, I think EarthBound, EarthBound Beginnings, and Murasume Castle are coming and would be sick.

DIRECT: Animal Crossing: New Horizons Direct
There will be a trailer for Animal Crossing in the January Direct, and I think that's when preorders will start. But, there's a sore need for a dedicated Direct for the game. It may not be clear to those unfamiliar to the series, but there's a TON we don't know about the game. I'm hoping for some indication of improvements to the character dialogue and personalities, but I don't really expect much.

March:
DIRECT: March 10 (MAR10 Day!)
I'm expecting another general direct. More on Super Mario Odyssey 2, set for release in July, and, yes, my stupid Mario Kart 8 Deluxe expansion, which I'll explain more in a bit.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

April:
Pikmin 3+
God, I really, really, REALLY want to put Pikmin 1+2+3 here, my idea for a remastered trilogy of the first three games. But, Emily says Pikmin 3, and as much as I want to interpret the delays she's alluded to as being due to the decision to remaster the first two games, this would be pretty crazy. So, Pikmin 3+ it is. I'll be there day 1!

May:
Xenoblade Chronicles HD
Maybe I'll actually play it this time.

June:
DIRECT: E3 2020
This will show a bunch of stuff, like Metroid 5 for September (fuck a Super Metroid remake btw, that shit is so stupid after we just got it on SNES Online), a new IP from the Mario Kart/ARMS team for later in the summer, and BOTW2 which, YES, is coming out in 2020. I'll eat my copy of the first one if the second doesn't come out in 2020. I'm really betting on the name "Phoenix of Hyrule" but man, Arlo's "Breath of the Void" would make more sense and is a cool name. The show will also shadowdrop the Mario Kart expansion, which will have been featured at the inevitable Nintendo World Championships 2020 the Sunday night before. Oh, and also? A "Paper Mario" of some sort, for 2020.

DLC: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Double Dash Redux
Time to really make an ass of myself. I think there's going to be a big, expensive (like $40) add-on to MK8D with 15 new characters including all of the missing characters from Double Dash as well as KK Slider and Zelda that will even out the roster into 28 "ideal" pairs and the Miis. I think there will be a Double Dash mode (obviously) and a bunch of new Double Dash mode compatible karts added, as well as (get this) 32 new tracks divided into the classic 4 new, 4 retro cups. I think the justification here is that the team has embraced the inevitability of Nintendo Kart for what would be MK9 (or 10 technically) to keep the series fresh, but wants to send off the old style of gameplay and tracks with a big expansion to capitalize on the massive install base and sales of Deluxe, additionally using leftover ideas and those conceptualized in the preproduction of sequels. There will be some sort of marketing move in retail to make the expansion's existence clear. Think of Deluxe + DD Redux as being Mario Kart Ultimate before the series moves on to greener pastures (with Kirby and Arwings).

July:
Super Mario Odyssey 2
Guys, it's so fucking happening. We got no DLC worlds for the original, and there's a good bit of potential in the format. It'll be the Galaxy 2 to Odyssey's Galaxy. Since 2007 we've gotten 3D Mario games in the pattern of an original game that innovates and just a few years later a sequel that refines. It's time to refine.

August:
QUIRKY LOCAL SPLITSCREEN AND ONLINE MULTIPLAYER FIRST PERSON SHOOTER FROM YABUKI'S TEAM
Okay, so how am I predicting that Yabuki's production team is going to put out two big projects within months of each other? Well, I think that ARMS's development and marketing suggested a growing production team and I think that it's possible MK8D:DDR content development could have assistance (recall that new asset development for Deluxe was done largely by Namco which I recognize kind of detracts from the notion of an expansion but whatever). Anyway, I think a local semi-serious but suitably wacky FPS that could in some ways serve as a modern interpretation of Goldeneye and its local gameplay could be fun and serve and underserved market. I think having a set of unique characters like Overwatch or TF2 before it could really play into the strengths of Yabuki's creative team.

September:
DIRECT: Fall Direct, September 2
It'll show some trailers for fall games and maybe some future stuff I'll discuss at the end of the post.

Metroid 5
We're getting a new 2D Metroid game from Mercury Steam. Period. Not a stupid ass remake of a game already both A) on the Switch and B) widely regarded to be perfect, we're getting a new 2D game and Kevin360 can finally be happy.

INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS'S MARIO RPG PROJECT
Okay, so the development timelines suggest that Paper Mario is coming in 2020. I think that may be the case. But, what if IS makes a new kind of story-based Mario RPG that plays like the classic Paper Mario games, but sidesteps both the recent baggage and the insurmountable expectations of the classic games? I'd love a 2D RPG that imitates the style of the classic Kotabe illustrations of the characters from early box art.

October:
The Legend of Zelda: Phoenix of Hyrule (or Breath of the Void, or whatever)
It's gonna come out on 10/30/20. It's too cool of a date not to use. It's going to be good and cool and probably reintigrate a lot of the things that hardcore Zelda fans bemoaned the absence of. It'll be good.

November:
Pokémon: Double Platinum
Surprise! I don't think it'll be pushed because of Sword and Shield, no way in hell. First of all, as Joe from Serebii points out, Pokémon is a multimedia and merchandising juggernaut that cannot be stopped. And besides, Sword and Shield sold like crazy and honestly? Weren't any worse than any Pokémon game in like the last decade. Imo. As a non-fan.

December:
Bayonetta 3
Finally.

Alright, some potential FAQS:

Where's Metroid Prime Trilogy?
I think it'll be announced in the fall Direct, for January. And, therefore...

Where's Metroid Prime 4?
Metroid Prime 4: Isolation will be released holiday 2021.

Isn't this list a bit Mario-heavy?
Yeah, it is. It would be more Mario heavy if I maintained my belief that Super Mario Party 2 is coming in 2020, but I figure that in a year with a new Paper Mario or other Mario RPG, a big Mario Kart expansion, and fucking Super Mario Odyssey 2, Nintendo will save it for spring 2021. I think all of the Mario games would be cool to feature in a MAR10 Direct, and this iconic-series-heavy lineup would market well in the year of the Tokyo Olympics.

When are we gonna get new hardware?
I think a Switch Plus might come. Maybe in 2020, but probably not. Maybe in 2021. I think we're gonna get the Switch 2 (or what I think will be called the Switch 24) in holiday 2023 or early spring 2024.

Gee Raccoon, I don't see very many new IPs on this list. Not very believable, hm?
I used to try to predict new IPs. But then I realized they are impossible to predict, because they're YOUR IDEAS at that point! If you're gonna conceptualize a new game, just make a new damn game (easier said than done, of course). That being said, I think a first person shooter from Yabuki's team would be a great fit and is coming at some point.

You acknowledged earlier that the Tokyo Olympics are next year. Why no Switch Sports? Furthermore, Splatoon is crazy popular in Japan, wouldn't a spin-off be a good fit?
I didn't add Switch Sports even though I both desperately want it to happen and expect something like it to happen at some point because I don't have any idea what it would look like or when it would come out. Although summer would be great, huh?

Where the hell is Mario Maker DLC?
2020, probably. I don't know what it would be or when, so I didn't include it. Maybe it would come in February to help fill out what I expect will be a pretty dull month. Maybe I should've put that. Maybe I should've asked myself these FAQs first!

WarioWare?
Bruh, I don't fucking know. 2021, huh? Not everything has to come out next year. IS makes those games anyway, right? They're probably doing the Mario RPG, and WarioWare: Joy-Con-Man will come 2021 or later.

Pikmin 4?
2021. I think. I hope. Of course, if it comes earlier, I'll be chuffed.

Hey idiot, you forgot something obvious.
Oh. Whoops.

How serious are you about this stuff?
It varies. I feel most strongly that BOTW2 is coming next year. Then less so about Super Mario Odyssey 2 existing at all, then Paper Mario or derivative coming next year, then Odyssey 2 coming next year, and from there it slowly dwindles down to the bottom of the barrel in terms of my faith: MK8D DLC and an FPS from Yabuki's team. Some shit I want more that I believe, although I think MK8D DLC would be a GREAT idea after Deluxe has sold so well and Tour is moderately popular (it seems). But at the end of the day, we can't predict shit. It's all meant to be in good fun!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I want some quick and simple predictions for 2020. One, both or none for each of these:
1. One - 70% Odyssey 2
2. One - 50/50
3. One - 60% 2D
4. One - 60% Mario Golf
5. None
6. None
7. New IP

ItWasMeantToBe19 2020 strawpoll
OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Let's do a bad poll

Do you expect them in 2020, yes or no

Bayonetta 3
BotW2
Paper Mario 6
New 2D Metroid
Pikmin 3 Remastered
Prime Trilogy
Mario Odyssey 2
Super Mario Party 2
3D World port
Diamond/Pearl remake
just for fun

Odyssey 2
Paper Mario*
2D Metroid (a new one!)
neither til 2021
main series (Sinnoh remake)
neither til 2021
New IP

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

January:

This will detail several spring games, including the reveal of Pikmin 3+ and Super Mario Odyssey 2, and include the shadow drop of the following Nintendo Switch Online game.

F-ZERO 99
Starting off with a crazy one, here we have my most unreasonable belief for the year. I think that the F-ZERO series has all of the existing elements to make for the perfect ambitious 99 player racing game; this is the "fresh idea" that Miyamoto was waiting for! I think it would take a lot from the SNES original and utilize a stylized low-poly look to maintain a high framerate while using clever lighting and art direction to make the game pop visually. The high speed and lap-based elimination system would make for a great "99" game. As for a developer, I imagine this would come from a third-party collaboration. I think it would be neat if this turned out to come frm one of the Retro projects from the dead years.

(Of course)

February:
Brain Age (NA)

Stealing this from Mondo, I think EarthBound, EarthBound Beginnings, and Murasume Castle are coming and would be sick.

There will be a trailer for Animal Crossing in the January Direct, and I think that's when preorders will start. But, there's a sore need for a dedicated Direct for the game. It may not be clear to those unfamiliar to the series, but there's a TON we don't know about the game. I'm hoping for some indication of improvements to the character dialogue and personalities, but I don't really expect much.

March:
I'm expecting another general direct. More on Super Mario Odyssey 2, set for release in July, and, yes, my stupid Mario Kart 8 Deluxe expansion, which I'll explain more in a bit.

April:
Pikmin 3+
God, I really, really, REALLY want to put Pikmin 1+2+3 here, my idea for a remastered trilogy of the first three games. But, Emily says Pikmin 3, and as much as I want to interpret the delays she's alluded to as being due to the decision to remaster the first two games, this would be pretty crazy. So, Pikmin 3+ it is. I'll be there day 1!

May:
Xenoblade Chronicles HD

June:
This will show a bunch of stuff, like Metroid 5 for September (fuck a Super Metroid remake btw, that shit is so stupid after we just got it on SNES Online), a new IP from the Mario Kart/ARMS team for later in the summer, and BOTW2 which, YES, is coming out in 2020. I'll eat my copy of the first one if the second doesn't come out in 2020. I'm really betting on the name "Phoenix of Hyrule" but man, Arlo's "Breath of the Void" would make more sense and is a cool name. The show will also shadowdrop the Mario Kart expansion, which will have been featured at the inevitable Nintendo World Championships 2020 the Sunday night before. Oh, and also? A "Paper Mario" of some sort, for 2020.

Time to really make an ass of myself. I think there's going to be a big, expensive (like $40) add-on to MK8D with 15 new characters including all of the missing characters from Double Dash as well as KK Slider and Zelda that will even out the roster into 28 "ideal" pairs and the Miis. I think there will be a Double Dash mode (obviously) and a bunch of new Double Dash mode compatible karts added, as well as (get this) 32 new tracks divided into the classic 4 new, 4 retro cups. I think the justification here is that the team has embraced the inevitability of Nintendo Kart for what would be MK9 (or 10 technically) to keep the series fresh, but wants to send off the old style of gameplay and tracks with a big expansion to capitalize on the massive install base and sales of Deluxe, additionally using leftover ideas and those conceptualized in the preproduction of sequels. There will be some sort of marketing move in retail to make the expansion's existence clear. Think of Deluxe + DD Redux as being Mario Kart Ultimate before the series moves on to greener pastures (with Kirby and Arwings).

July:
Super Mario Odyssey 2
Guys, it's so fucking happening. We got no DLC worlds for the original, and there's a good bit of potential in the format. It'll be the Galaxy 2 to Odyssey's Galaxy. Since 2007 we've gotten 3D Mario games in the pattern of an original game that innovates and just a few years later a sequel that refines. It's time to refine.

August:
QUIRKY LOCAL SPLITSCREEN AND ONLINE MULTIPLAYER FIRST PERSON SHOOTER FROM YABUKI'S TEAM
Okay, so how am I predicting that Yabuki's production team is going to put out two big projects within months of each other? Well, I think that ARMS's development and marketing suggested a growing production team and I think that it's possible MK8D:DDR content development could have assistance (recall that new asset development for Deluxe was done largely by Namco which I recognize kind of detracts from the notion of an expansion but whatever). Anyway, I think a local semi-serious but suitably wacky FPS that could in some ways serve as a modern interpretation of Goldeneye and its local gameplay could be fun and serve and underserved market. I think having a set of unique characters like Overwatch or TF2 before it could really play into the strengths of Yabuki's creative team.

September:
It'll show some trailers for fall games and maybe some future stuff I'll discuss at the end of the post.

Metroid 5
We're getting a new 2D Metroid game from Mercury Steam. Period. Not a stupid ass remake of a game already both A) on the Switch and B) widely regarded to be perfect, we're getting a new 2D game and Kevin360 can finally be happy.

Okay, so the development timelines suggest that Paper Mario is coming in 2020. I think that may be the case. But, what if IS makes a new kind of story-based Mario RPG that plays like the classic Paper Mario games, but sidesteps both the recent baggage and the insurmountable expectations of the classic games? I'd love a 2D RPG that imitates the style of the classic Kotabe illustrations of the characters from early box art.

October:
It's gonna come out on 10/30/20. It's too cool of a date not to use. It's going to be good and cool and probably reintigrate a lot of the things that hardcore Zelda fans bemoaned the absence of. It'll be good.

November:
Surprise! I don't think it'll be pushed because of Sword and Shield, no way in hell. First of all, as Joe from Serebii points out, Pokémon is a multimedia and merchandising juggernaut that cannot be stopped. And besides, Sword and Shield sold like crazy and honestly? Weren't any worse than any Pokémon game in like the last decade. Imo. As a non-fan.

December:
Bayonetta 3
Finally.

Where's Metroid Prime 4?

Yeah, it is. It would be more Mario heavy if I maintained my belief that Super Mario Party 2 is coming in 2020, but I figure that in a year with a new Paper Mario or other Mario RPG, a big Mario Kart expansion, and fucking Super Mario Odyssey 2, Nintendo will save it for spring 2021. I think all of the Mario games would be cool to feature in a MAR10 Direct, and this iconic-series-heavy lineup would market well in the year of the Tokyo Olympics.

I think a Switch Plus might come. Maybe in 2020, but probably not. Maybe in 2021. I think we're gonna get the Switch 2 (or what I think will be called the Switch 24) in holiday 2023 or early spring 2024.

Gee Raccoon, I don't see very many new IPs on this list. Not very believable, hm?
I used to try to predict new IPs. But then I realized they are impossible to predict, because they're YOUR IDEAS at that point! If you're gonna conceptualize a new game, just make a new damn game (easier said than done, of course). That being said, I think a first person shooter from Yabuki's team would be a great fit and is coming at some point.

You acknowledged earlier that the Tokyo Olympics are next year. Why no Switch Sports? Furthermore, Splatoon is crazy popular in Japan, wouldn't a spin-off be a good fit?
I didn't add Switch Sports even though I both desperately want it to happen and expect something like it to happen at some point because I don't have any idea what it would look like or when it would come out. Although summer would be great, huh?

2020, probably. I don't know what it would be or when, so I didn't include it. Maybe it would come in February to help fill out what I expect will be a pretty dull month. Maybe I should've put that. Maybe I should've asked myself these FAQs first!

WarioWare?
Bruh, I don't fucking know. 2021, huh? Not everything has to come out next year. IS makes those games anyway, right? They're probably doing the Mario RPG, and WarioWare: Joy-Con-Man will come 2021 or later.

Pikmin 4?

Oh. Whoops.

It varies. I feel most strongly that BOTW2 is coming next year. Then less so about Super Mario Odyssey 2 existing at all, then Paper Mario or derivative coming next year, then Odyssey 2 coming next year, and from there it slowly dwindles down to the bottom of the barrel in terms of my faith: MK8D DLC and an FPS from Yabuki's team. Some shit I want more that I believe, although I think MK8D DLC would be a GREAT idea after Deluxe has sold so well and Tour is moderately popular (it seems). But at the end of the day, we can't predict shit. It's all meant to be in good fun!
I'm stealing F-Zero 99 for the next time I make a prediction list, lol. I need something to fill in my second eShop title spot, and I like that idea.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Here's what I don't get about what you're saying: "Why not wait for the Switch 2?". I know everyone seems to think that it's coming in 2021/2022 for some reason, but I don't see it coming before late 2023/2024. They're not going to abandon 50-million-+ users that early in the consoles lifecycle, new console generations be damned. Sure, I think they'll do a Switch Pro sooner than later, but that's about it.

I don't think a successor to the Switch will come that soon. Nintendo is not afraid to prolong the life of a successful platform. But, even recently with Mario Kart 7 on the 3DS, that was the newest handheld iteration for over six years until the release of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for Switch. I don't recall avid fans clamoring for an updated Mario Kart on 3DS in the interim.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

January:

F-ZERO 99

(Of course)

February:
Brain Age (NA)

March:

April:
Pikmin 3+

May:
Xenoblade Chronicles HD

June:

July:
Super Mario Odyssey 2

August:

September:

Metroid 5

October:

November:

December:
Bayonetta 3
Finally.

Where's Metroid Prime 4?

WarioWare?

Pikmin 4?

Oh. Whoops.

Just when you think that the predictions can't get anymore wild, this man makes a predictions post in the style of an OP, with F-Zero 99 included. Goddamn.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
1. 3D World but I could see Odyssey 2 being announced the same year.
2. As much as I want to hear another version of Ashley's Theme I'm going to say Paper Mario.
3. 2D Metroid, but please be a new entry seriously a remake can f*ck outta here
4. I'd rather have SMP 2 so it'll inevitably be Mario Golf.
5. Spin-off, I just have to hope they take the criticism and let whatever main game they've got coming (remake/3rd version etc) cook a bit longer.
6. Rhythm Heaven... Why not?
7. New IP, don't see a sequel to Arms happening and there's no need for a MK9 and there's already a "nintendogs"

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Is this poll done correctly? The percentages are super wrong.

Guess we can calculate it at the end.
It seems to be accounting the percentages as the given votes for a game divided by the total votes for all the games, rather than by the percentage of participants that voted for it. It's stupid, and if I had known this is how it would work I would've had an "Everybody check this box" at the start of the list to see how many total votes there would be. Oh well.

edit:
I'm stealing F-Zero 99 for the next time I make a prediction list, lol. I need something to fill in my second eShop title spot, and I like that idea.

Someone in this thread mentioned the name "F-ZERO 99" either in passing or as a joke and I've become obsessed with the idea, I'm fully invested in it

Just when you think that the predictions can't get anymore wild, this man makes a predictions post in the style of an OP, with F-Zero 99 included. Goddamn.
I'm straight-up wacky about this Nintendo shit man, I'm in too deep

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Self-honesty time. Does a Metroid Prime HD Collection really excite me?

No. I have the Wii edition, and I'm still playing through Metroid Prime 3. I imagine if it did come out, I'd buy it, check out the original Metroid Prime, marvel at the graphics a bit, and then promptly put it on my shelf.

I've been excited for this game for three Game Awards now (that's equivalent to three regular years, by the way), and now the excitement has sorta waned a bit.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

No. I have the Wii edition, and I'm still playing through Metroid Prime 3. I imagine if it did come out, I'd buy it, check out the original Metroid Prime, marvel at the graphics a bit, and then promptly put it on my shelf.

I've been excited for this game for three Game Awards now (that's equivalent to three regular years, by the way), and now the excitement has sorta waned a bit.
Definitely a valid experience that a lot of people likely share.

But for me, I'm a younger fan who furthermore got into these games pretty late. I was thinking about buying the Trilogy for Wii when MP4 was announced in 2017, but figured that it would come out on Switch, my new favorite platform ever. So my dumb ass has been strung along for like two and a half years now. I'm fine with it though, because I'll be among the most excited to pick it up whenever it does come out!

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom

I get where you're coming from, I got so tired of waiting I dusted off my Wii U and finished the Trilogy several times since 4 was announced. That being said the combination of new graphics, new controls, portability and potential added content (even just amiibo support) is keeping me hyped. Heck just Prime on the go alone is enough to have me frothing at the mouth.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Man some of these lists are kind of depressing. Not exactly dreaming big in here are we lol.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
I get where you're coming from, I got so tired of waiting I dusted off my Wii U and finished the Trilogy several times since 4 was announced. That being said the combination of new graphics, new controls, portability and potential added content (even just amiibo support) is keeping me hyped. Heck just Prime on the go alone is enough to have me frothing at the mouth.
It took me like 8 years to finish Metroid Prime 2–no joke. Been in and out of the third one for about half a year now.

I love the original—one of my favorite games of all time, but the sequels really didn't grab me. I would be excited, like you, for a few extra bells and whistles.

I do really hope that MP4 is a bit more like the original.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Man I love the idea of a low-poly, 60 fps F-Zero 99. I just 100%'d Horizon Chase Turbo, which has a retro style, and it made me really crave a new F-Zero. It really doesn't need flashy graphics.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Someone in this thread mentioned the name "F-ZERO 99" either in passing or as a joke and I've become obsessed with the idea, I'm fully invested it

My fondest memories were of GX were on Cosmo Terminal - Trident, trying my damndest to knock 29 other racers off the tracks. I don't think this would be all too fun with real people, but the idea of 99 racers sounds like beautiful chaos.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
It took me like 8 years to finish Metroid Prime 2–no joke. Been in and out of the third one for about half a year now.

I love the original—one of my favorite games of all time, but the sequels really didn't grab me. I would be excited, like you, for a few extra bells and whistles.

What was it about 2 and 3 that didn't work for you?

I recall loving them all, and I hope they keep moving forward with beautiful unique alien worlds as they did with 2-3. My biggest gripe with the franchise was how it tried to focus on including better story and presentation in 3, but the execution was...not great. I recall other efforts in the industry, Uncharted 1, Halo 3, Mass Effect, etc being on a completely different level.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom

Damn mate I feel you on that one, I got so stuck on the Spider Ball Guardian when I played it on GC that I started the game over to make sure I had every energy tank (Trilogy version was embarassingly trivial with the spring ball).
Even got stuck on Ridley in Prime 1 for a long time (though I was a kid at the time).
I definitely bounced off 2 on my first playthrough but since then I've come to love it almost as much as 1.
3 is still my least favourite, mainly because of Skytown (heresy I know).

I seem to recall an interview with Tanabe where he said that he wanted to make 4 more like 1. Can't remember if that was a pre-announcement hypothetical or post-announcement plan, the former seems more likely.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
What was it about 2 and 3 that didn't work for you?

I recall loving them all, and I hope they keep moving forward with beautiful unique alien worlds as they did with 2-3. My biggest gripe with the franchise was how it tried to focus on including better story and presentation in 3, but the execution was...not great. I recall other efforts in the industry, Uncharted 1, Halo 3, Mass Effect, etc being on a completely different level.
I thought Metroid Prime 2 was just really punishing, and navigating through the world trying to find items to progress the story felt more like a chore compared to the original where I think exploration felt a little more welcoming.

I also think it's brutally difficult in some spots. I'm a decent gamer, and I've played some super difficult games, but I found this game to be so difficult at times. I especially didn't care for the light world dark world backtracking, especially considering the dark world is not as continuous as the light world. Sometimes you'd need to get to a specific location in the dark world and I'd get stuck trying to figure out exactly which light world path would get me there.

Metroid Prime 3 is a huge step up, in my opinion. So far, it's very story-focused, which is fine, but it seems to lack the exploration of the original. I just got sidetracked by other games, but I do plan on finishing it soon.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I seem to recall an interview with Tanabe where he said that he wanted to make 4 more like 1. Can't remember if that was a pre-announcement hypothetical or post-announcement plan, the former seems more likely.
I don't know if it was ever directly said; I think it's just the conclusion people came too based on the original press fact-sheet from June 2017, specifically the quotes "returns to the First Person Adventure roots of the original Metroid Prime game" and "the action, isolation and exploration of the Metroid Prime Universe".

latest

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
I don't know if it was ever directly said; I think it's just the conclusion people came too based on the original press fact-sheet from June 2017, specifically the quotes "returns to the First Person Adventure roots of the original Metroid Prime game" and "the action, isolation and exploration of the Metroid Prime Universe".
You're right, I'm probably thinking about the time travel mechanic stuff

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine 99 ships on the start line. The track is super wide then as more ships crash the track gets narrower and narrower your ships speed gets faster and faster until there is only 1 ship left.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
Let's do a bad poll

Do you expect them in 2020, yes or no

Bayonetta 3
BotW2
Paper Mario 6
New 2D Metroid
Pikmin 3 Remastered
Prime Trilogy
Mario Odyssey 2
Super Mario Party 2
3D World port
Diamond/Pearl remake
Bayonetta 3 - No
BotW2 - No
Paper Mario 6 - No
New 2D Metroid - Yes (a remake)
Pikmin 3 Remastered - Yes
Prime Trilogy - No (but early 2021)
Mario Odyssey 2 - No
Super Mario Party 2 - No
3D World port - Yes
Diamond/Pearl remake - Yes

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Speaking of "well in development" Reggie also said this about Prime 4 back in November 2018 and then 2 months after it got cancelled and restarted from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.