• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised about the semi-"disconfirmation" of Xenoblade X port. It would've been incredibly idiotic for Nintendo to release it on the Switch this year. Same goes for 2021.

I have faith that it will come back one day. Maybe for its 10 year anniversary in 2025. 😭

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Just so y'all have your hype in check:

Talked to some people that would know about a Direct. No one knows anything about one at the moment. That could change at literally anytime but that's what I've heard at the moment down the grapevine.

Don't get all doom and gloom. We're just at the 2nd. Holidays are still fresh.

The post below is why i said anything at all. Doing y'all a favor.

oh great

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
vtQft4cdPul9yzWRXGJ7RN57vqPmUt7K4ZmcaXSmHnM.png

Damn straight, should be the rounded cartridges.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
at this point I hope the Direct is February because if it's January and nobody's heard about it by now it's probably small potatoes, right?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Not surprised about the semi-"disconfirmation" of Xenoblade X port. It would've been incredibly idiotic for Nintendo to release it on the Switch this year. Same goes for 2021.

I have faith that it will come back one day. Maybe for its 10 year anniversary in 2025. 😭
Did I miss a post for the deconfirm?

Wasn't going to happen this year due to Xenoblade DE though sadly.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X has the best cast of side characters in the series. couldn't give two fucks about many of the characters in the other games
I agree it has plenty of interesting and good side characters, but not any of the actual playable party members. Not at all. There is no one even close to people like Shulk, Dunban, Reyn, Sharla, Fiora, Melia, Rex, Pyra/Mythra, Nia, Morag, Zeke, Lora, Jin, Haze, or Hugo.

A couple of the X characters do have potential, but they all basically just have one small quest chain each and then nothing else. Nagi is the only one approaching being something more than that since he also is tied in a bit more to the city/main plot before joining you, but even he falls short.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't think we'll see a new xenoblade on switch. i think it'll be xenoblaDE, new IP, maybe XCX, and then their next game will be on switch 2.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Sure they did - and what they say publicly isn't necessarily the same as their internal decision-making process.

I'd say it's a mix of both. The devs needed more time, so Nintendo reviewed its internal release plans for the Fall to see what they have, and decided that it was good enough to carry the Switch for the Fall, thus approving the extra development time.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
well i expect switch 2 to hit late 2022/early 2023, so it'd be just 5 years between games, with a brand new IP in the middle. it wouldn't be that long of a wait.

5 years is a very long time for a game in a series that only just recently became popular. That's longer than the time it took them to make Xenoblade X. They're going to want to capitalize on its success as soon as possible, which would be next year.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5 years is a very long time for a game in a series that only just recently became popular. That's longer than the time it took them to make Xenoblade X. They're going to want to capitalize on its success as soon as possible, which would be next year.
doesn't next year seem too early? i dunno, i just imagine it's going to come after their new IP. if switch 2 is too late for a new xenoblade, late into switch's life seems more realistic.

2017 - xeno 2
2020 - xono 1 definitive edition
2020 or 2021 - new IP
2022 - xeno 3 or X2

something like that

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I dream of a XC2DE some day with more stable performance, a higher resolution, gatcha and compass tweaks, refinements to the field skill system, etc.

There's so many issues that could be ironed out with a rerelease. Maybe on Switch 2...

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I think Monolith is working on Xenoblade DE right now but some think otherwise, who would be able to handle this Remake if this was the case ?

I dream of a XC2DE some day with more stable performance, a higher resolution, gatcha and compass tweaks, refinements to the field skill system, etc.

There's so many issues that could be ironed out with a rerelease. Maybe on Switch 2...
you mean Gatch removal, right ? Btw yes, I also thought about a Xeno 2 revision sometime in the distant future

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'm fine with waiting for X but what I really hope is that Xenoblade DE isn't a late 2020 game. I don't want to wait for an ENTIRE year before getting a possible tease for Monolith's next title.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
See NateDrake's post on page 219.
Thanks. Damn.
Also just seen this thanks to your tip:
The situation surrounding The Wonderful 101 is a little complicated.

I'm not saying a Switch port won't/can't ever happen, but I don't personally see it releasing this year (2020).

Doesn't matter anyways. There's other Wii U games getting ports to Switch this year.
Damn too.

Now I'm getting ready for bad wiiu games or those that don't really need one (Starfox, Color Splash, ...) getting a port before classic ones that really need it like W101 and XCX.
The way how TMS is getting one (with the worst localization too) before those is already shitty.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Thanks. Damn.

Damn too.

Now I'm getting ready for bad wiiu games or those that don't really need one (Starfox, Color Splash, ...) getting a port before classic ones that really need it like W101 and XCX.
The way how TMS is getting one (with the worst localization too) before those is already shitty.

Uhh, most Wii U games aren't bad, and W101 and XCX are in no way classics. I'd take 3D World, Pikmin, etc over those any day.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Thanks. Damn.

Damn too.

there's a 90% chance those ports are Pikmin 3 and 3D World, not bad games by any mean.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
There's plenty of time for Xenoblade 3 on Switch - it's not getting replaced as early as 2022. Nintendo keep their successful systems on the market for 6 years, and have publicly said they want Switch to have a longer lifespan. I don't expect a successor till late 2023 or early 2024. The big question mark for me is whether Monolith Soft have the time and resources for Xenoblade DE, Zelda co-development, a brand new Xenoblade and a new IP in the next 3 years.

As an aside, I just saw Ring Fit Adventure advertised for the first time on British TV - as part of an ad which also included Brain Training. Close in tone and style to the lifestyle type adverts from back in the Wii/DS era; no celebrities in sight yet though.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
"ports" with a plural can easily just be TMS #FE and Pikmin 3 (though, if Odyssey 2 isn't happening this year, 3D World could also fill in that gap). It's not like there's a specific quota for the amount of Wii U ports we need to see in a year; we just had a year with 1 single port right after a year with 4 of them.

Throw in Xenoblade DE, Famicom Detective Club and other possible titles like Pokemon DP, and I don't think Nintendo would want their lineup to be filled with so many re-releases / remasters / remakes of existing games.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
doesn't next year seem too early? i dunno, i just imagine it's going to come after their new IP. if switch 2 is too late for a new xenoblade, late into switch's life seems more realistic.

2017 - xeno 2
2020 - xono 1 definitive edition
2020 or 2021 - new IP
2022 - xeno 3 or X2

something like that

For simplicity's sake, I'm going to refer the new Xenoblade project as XC4 from now on. I think we should leave the new IP out of the equation as that's being handled by a different team at Monolith Soft (if it still exists). Let's also leave out Xenoblade DE too since that's apparently being handled by a smaller staff list. Takahashi's team is working on XC4 as that's heavily implied on the Monolith Soft website.

XC2 had a development cycle of 3.5 years, from the early planning stages to release. Let's assume XC4 entered the planning phase around January 2018 (I have reasons to believe that's when it started), it will have been in development for 4 years by December 2021. XCX, with all of its development hurdles as well as being MS's first HD title, lasted no more than 4.5 years. I think theres room for XC4 on the Switch, as Takahashi apparently wants a soft reboot for the series.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
For quite some time (from the beginning actually), I've been seriously doubting that monolith was working on a new IP. Knowing that their next game is a fucking remaster from a game that was already ported on 3DS reinforces my opinion.
It's unfortunate because having a new single player IP on switch would be nice.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I think Pikmin 3 and 3D World are the only "guaranteed" ports left. Everything else seems like a crapshoot.
Agreed; it seems increasing likely that those two will release in 2020 or 2021.

Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD are probably next in-line for making the jump, since this The Wonderful 101 news doesn't sound all that great, and Monolith have been down on Xenoblade X in the past. I'd say the other remaining first-party Wii U games are either too reliant on the Game Pad, not worth bringing over at all or would probably benefit more from a sequel or successor than a port.

Status
Not open for further replies.