• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
There is literally very little else they could show at E3 that would have the impact of an in-depth BotW2 reveal (including that underground/overworld split, c'mon!), so it is obvious to me they'd save it for then.

We might get a teaser picture or even "more later in the year/at E3" notice.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
After the success of the Rebel Collection's port, an Ezio Collection port announcement would blow me away as I have huge nostalgia for the Ezio games but Switch is my go-to these days.

Gotta be January.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
There is 0 chance that AC is missing the next Direct.

They are going to push that game very hard, and deservedly so.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Animal Crossing will definitely be present in the Direct, but i'm not so confident in it getting another long segment. It already got a 5-6 minute segment in the September Direct, so I can see them giving it a quick headline with some new info in January, while saving a lot more for the inevitable Animal Crossing Direct in February.

Or they can just give it another 5 minute segment; I dunno, Nintendo are hard to predict.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
There is literally very little else they could show at E3 that would have the impact of an in-depth BotW2 reveal (including that underground/overworld split, c'mon!), so it is obvious to me they'd save it for then.

We might get a teaser picture or even "more later in the year/at E3" notice.
I don't think anybody expects a detailed look at Zelda before E3 - just confirmation that it's 2020 (if it is on track to release this year). If Zelda is coming this year, I'd expect a teaser in a Direct before E3, with a detailed blowout at E3.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think anybody expects a detailed look at Zelda before E3 - just confirmation that it's 2020 (if it is on track to release this year). If Zelda is coming this year, I'd expect a teaser in a Direct before E3, with a detailed blowout at E3.
Yeah I expect exactly the same honestly :)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing will definitely be present in the Direct, but i'm not so confident in it getting another long segment. It already got a 5-6 minute segment in the September Direct, so I can see them giving it a quick headline with some new info in January, while saving a lot more for the inevitable Animal Crossing Direct in February.

Or they can just give it another 5 minute segment; I dunno, Nintendo are hard to predict.
We deserve a better 5 Minutes than the rehash of the September direct. It was the worst part of the September direct

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably gonna overhype myself here, but I am hoping we find out most of the 2020 lineup in the next Direct. I figure at least through September may be a safe bet.

2017 kind of said everything about the year in the January Switch unveiling, so not much was saved until E3 there. 2018 was basically just Super Mario Party at E3, and Smash's first look at the game even though we knew it was coming via a teaser trailer. 2019 I can't think of any aside from Ring Fit Adventure.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Probably gonna overhype myself here, but I am hoping we find out most of the 2020 lineup in the next Direct. I figure at least through September may be a safe bet.

2017 kind of said everything about the year in the January Switch unveiling, so not much was saved until E3 there. 2018 was basically just Super Mario Party at E3, and Smash's first look at the game even though we knew it was coming via a teaser trailer. 2019 I can't think of any aside from Ring Fit Adventure.
Just talking physical releases here, right? Because yeah, we'll know about a vast majority of the year before E3. I'm definitely expecting a beefy January Direct (or maybe a second Direct before E3, not entirely on-board with that yet though) since we know so little about the year.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

That's why I like early year directs more but I think a direct in march will lay out the full lineup for the year. I think the January direct will be juicy though.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just talking physical releases here, right? Because yeah, we'll know about a vast majority of the year before E3. I'm definitely expecting a beefy January Direct (or maybe a second Direct before E3, not entirely on-board with that yet though) since we know so little about the year.

Yeah, just physical releases. I could see 1 or 2 games being saved for E3 if they aren't until the holidays, and maybe some experimental new IP would get it's own separate showcase ala RFA and Labo. I think we will more or less know what to expect this year though after the Direct.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like they will fully reveal BotW 2 at E3 and announce a 2020 release date for the maximum shocker effect. I mean by E3 everyone will be in "there is no way this game is coming out this year" mode so it would be a nice surprise.

If BotW2 doesn't receive a blowout this E3, then yeah, it's not coming out this year.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I had a dream last night that Mario Kart Maker, Splatoon Tactics, 2D Metroid, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Super Mario 3D World Deluxe, Bayonetta 3, Animal Crossing, and BOTW2 were all shown in the January Direct.

That dream then turned into a nightmare when I realized Trump might have started WW3, and I woke up to that being a reality.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I had a dream last night that Mario Kart Maker, Splatoon Tactics, 2D Metroid, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Super Mario 3D World Deluxe, Bayonetta 3, Animal Crossing, and BOTW2 were all shown in the January Direct.

That dream then turned into a nightmare when I realized Trump might have started WW3, and I woke up to that being a reality.

So you're saying your dream was indeed a prophecy?

Mario Kart Maker sounds pretty cool, can't wait!

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Regarding Animal crossing, I think they need to show what happens when you develop your island : shops, facilities, special characters. Thats a big part of the charm and draw of the series.
Right now we only know about the very beginning of the game. Luckilly people seem to be more reasonnable than the "this game has no town" from BOTW ;-)

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I think the January Direct will be focused on Xenoblade.
I know it's a remake/remaster but we already know it will have new content.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I went to Gamestop to pre-order TMS and I came out with Atelier Ryza and FFX-X2 by spending 44€ in total. Now that killed my hype for the Direct, since I have too many RPGs... I think I should have bought another game instead of FFX-X2, but after all I paid it only 22€..
And with this I think DQXI won't get into my collection until end of the year, at least

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Nintendo is going to team up with Takeshi Kitano in order to create the long awaited sequel to the Famicom cult classic...
Takeshi's Challenge 2.

takeshi_no_ch_senj_asie_1350.jpg

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I say this as someone who is optimistic about this year.

My only concern about 2020 is that Nintendo might lean a little too hard on re-releases of older stuff as a crutch to fill out their calendar. Nintendo has already officially announced Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Xenoblade Chronicles 1 remaster/remake for this year. I can also confirm that Nintendo has (at least) two more unannounced Wii U ports. They are not difficult to guess because there aren't many Wii U games left to port.

Also, if you aren't into Animal Crossing, then the first 3-4 months of 2020 won't be super amazing for you personally. Nintendo is obviously treating Animal Crossing as their big March title, so that's something people will just need to accept. And as we saw with 2019, Nintendo likes to dump most of their biggest releases in the second half of the year. Which typically makes the pacing for the first half of the year slower by comparison.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is going to team up with Takeshi Kitano in order to create the long awaited sequel to the Famicom cult classic...
Takeshi's Challenge 2.

takeshi_no_ch_senj_asie_1350.jpg

Nintendo has done plenty of collaborations with Game Center CX/Yoiko before. I say we make Arino the main character of this game, since the original was the first Game Center CX challenge!

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
If the direct is next week when it should be announced?
Probably like usual, announced on a Tuesday.

edit:

My only concern about 2020 is that Nintendo might lean a little too hard on re-releases of older stuff as a crutch to fill out their calendar. Nintendo has already officially announced Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Xenoblade Chronicles 1 remaster for this year. I can also confirm that Nintendo has (at least) two more unannounced Wii U ports. They are not difficult to guess because there aren't many Wii U games left to port.

Also, if you aren't into Animal Crossing, then the first 3-4 months of 2020 won't be super amazing for you personally. Nintendo is obviously treating Animal Crossing as their big March title, so that's something people will just need to accept. And as we saw with 2019, Nintendo likes to dump most of their biggest releases in the second half of the year. Which typically makes the pacing for the first half of the year slower by comparison.

Tbh, Q1 is usually weak for Nintendo releases. It's nearly always been the case.
Also Xenoblade is a remake :p

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

My only concern about 2020 is that Nintendo might lean a little too hard on re-releases of older stuff as a crutch to fill out their calendar. Nintendo has already officially announced Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Xenoblade Chronicles 1 remaster for this year. I can also confirm that Nintendo has (at least) two more unannounced Wii U ports. They are not difficult to guess because there aren't many Wii U games left to port.

All I need is Detective Club, and it'll be the best year the Switch has ever had!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The Wii U ports are 3D World and Pikmin 3. It's fine we're used to Nintendo being weaker in the first quarter or so. It's a decision they've made.

Animal Crossing is obviously huge and the biggest Q1 they've had since BotW. It's all good. I didn't expect anything big until May the earliest

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

I love Animal Crossing so I'm fine with that side of it. I did, however have a WiiU and bought most games for it. I'm not really interested in Pikmin 3 or Mario 3d world again. Would much rather have a fresh experience. Happy for those that never got to play them though. Both games absolutely kill it in their final acts. Champions Road is still the hardest platforming I have experienced and it was so much fun. The last act on Pikmin 3 took a really bizarre dark turn which made the game amazing to me.

MikeH

Dec 3, 2018
My only concern about 2020 is that Nintendo might lean a little too hard on re-releases of older stuff as a crutch to fill out their calendar.

As long as they still release new quality games this year, I think most reasonable people will be okay with that.

Expecting one new game per month (and expecting them all to be good) is unrealistic imo.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Wii U ports are great because they allow Nintendo to fill out their schedule fairly easily. Besides, more people need to play these games. I'm all for it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody should bitch about Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. It's a remake/remaster of a Wii game. People want stuff like that

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The next Smash DLC will occupy at least two weeks worth of game on my Switch anyway and I haven't even beaten Three Houses yet

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

My only concern about 2020 is that Nintendo might lean a little too hard on re-releases of older stuff as a crutch to fill out their calendar. Nintendo has already officially announced Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Xenoblade Chronicles 1 remaster/remake for this year. I can also confirm that Nintendo has (at least) two more unannounced Wii U ports. They are not difficult to guess because there aren't many Wii U games left to port.

I'm glad I have a massive backlog of long RPGs then, since I don't care one bit about Animal Crossing.

Status
Not open for further replies.