• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
You right. Totally small beans for Mario, but it's not criminally overlooked the way something like Tropical Freeze was. Either way, I bet a port on Switch does Wii U numbers easy.
Oh yeah, for sure. It did manage to get some attention and even a GotY award

I'd be willing to bet on that, provided that it gets some marketing on the system too

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Is it happening? Are we getting TWEWY 2 built ground-up for Switch?

TWEWY 2 and Bravely Default II in the same year? Also Trials of Mana? Also I'm still playing SaGa Scarlet Grace? I don't know how this happened but Square Enix snuck up and started delivering on Switch. They were a supporter since the beginning but now they are on fire.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
How much money do I need to give to get a port of W101?

... And then how many copies for a sequel?

Edit: mobile accidentally took out W101

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well I'll definitely give you that but, at the same time, it would still keep the number of brand new games per year about the same, just with less releases overall, if we discount the ports so, in the end, they're not quite taking away from anything, aside from maybe Nintendo not releasing a game a little bit earlier. As for whether or not they'd have gone by in that period of time without releasing a game if they didn't have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, well they don't seem to mind leaving the first few months of the year a little dry so I'd say they honestly would

My guess is that it's a force of habit from prior generations so a lot of folk just narrow in on exclusives for Nintendo systems and nothing else, many of them solely on Nintendo ones and while ignoring 3rd party ones
There's a pretty big gap between "one or two games" in the first few months dry versus what would have been no game in four-ish half months dry. And therein lies the problem for some people.

OP's recommendations about being nice
OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Hey guys, as we head into the first week of the year (and this thread) that a Nintendo Direct could feasibly be announced, I wanted to share my personal reminder of preferred etiquette in this thread. I know that at times I've overstepped my role as OP, so I want to make clear that I am in no way trying to moderate or set "rules" for participation in the thread. Instead consider these Raccoon's friendly suggestions for making this thread the best it can be.

Below are my personal recommendations for how best to operate in this thread as things start to get crazier:

First of all, a reminder to be respectful in our interactions with "insiders." The participation of insiders like Emily, NateDrake, the former King Zell, and insider-adjacent figures like Zippo and Jonneh is, of course, appreciated for its utility. But remember that these people are members of the community as well. I was personally quite tickled to see some high profile votes in my little thread poll, but I don't think people should take these votes, or any casual community-oriented participation from these figures in the thread, as hints or gospel. In essence, do not chew these people out if there is no January Direct, please! In fact, don't chew any of them out for anything. Emily doesn't make the games, and being mad about what she or others do or don't know is not conducive to productive discussion and is generally detrimental to the vibe. We owe these fine folks a lot (some of us more than others). In my opinion, here are some behaviors that are supremely uncool:

- mentioning (@-ing) insiders unreasonably (you be the judge, but personally I think anything other than requests for clarification are a bit too bold)
- accusing them of having an agenda
- disrespecting their work (Criticism of leaking is fine in my opinion, I've done it a lot and think unpopular opinions are healthy to share. But please don't belittle, marginalize, or personally attack these people for their work, it's super uncool and unkind)
- crafting conspiracy theories (I'd advise this particularly pertaining to GameXplain. I was on the "Jon Cartwright's a secret leaker!!1!" train for a hot minute, but then I realized it's pretty rude, disrespectful, and honestly kinda crazy.)

Of course, to reiterate, these are not rules! I am not a mod! This is just the advice of someone who cares way too much about this thread. Furthermore, you likely can do the above in ways that aren't uncool and there's plenty of other stuff you could do that would be uncool. You should know the difference between respectful and not, and be mindful of how you're engaging with insiders. Obviously this is a forum and spats and disputes are natural, but if you're really ragging on one of these people, remember that they're members too, and most often Nintendo fans as well! Except Shinobi, if I recall correctly. But don't harrass him about that, either!

Second, while this may seem unreasonable as we head into the most exciting fortnight of recent Nintendo speculation history, please keep spam low. I love shitposting, shitposting is good, but I think there's a noteworthy difference between the good clean fun of a nice shitpost and the unfun oversaturation of spam. Resetting the clock is fun, and I imagine we'll see it a lot when Nintendo Tweets unrelated to the Direct go out. But if you're really just flooding the thread with crap that is neither funny nor beneficial to discussion, maybe reconsider how you're posting. Or at least get better material!

Another short note about Twitter and other sites in general: please don't brigade. I know that isn't going to be a problem for this group, but I'd like to maintain a reputation for NintendoEra as a community that doesn't reply to every Tweet with "Direct where?!?" and the like. Obviously off-site behavior is nobody's business, but again, as a personal favor to me, please don't foster a community attitude of being annoying or trolls.

Next point, I'd like to remind people to please be patient. I mean this in a lot of ways beyond the obvious. Most pertinent to this thread: be patient with your fellow members. One of the most useful philosophies I've found in life is not to presume malice when faced with ignorance. If a participant in this topic, particularly someone who doesn't post very often, doesn't know something that we've accepted into our community zeitgeist, please don't assume they're trolling! I'd really like to see more new faces participate if interested, and the more accommodating we are, the better the thread and the future of the community will be. On the flip side, I'd personally prefer not to see accusations of overinvestment in the thread, speculation, or Nintendo. Some of us, like me, really don't have a lot going on right now. As an American university student on a longer-than-usual winter break between semesters, I've gotten even deeper into this stuff than I think I was when the thread started. So, on a personal note, seeing people's levels of engagement in the thread in either direction used as material for character criticism really bums me out, and I'm pleading with you all that we don't see more of this as the speculation heats up and we see more lurkers and newcomers enter the discourse.

A quick reminder: if we do get a Direct soon and it doesn't live up to expectations (which is, in my opinion, entirely inevitable at this point), please do not be hostile towards those who have suggested that this year (and, if only via proxy and our own assumptions, this Direct) will be stellar. The content of a Direct does not directly indicate how much content is upcoming, unfortunately. It instead only tells us what Nintendo wants to show. As someone who is often hopelessly hot-headed, over-dramatic, and quick to overreact on this forum, I can tell you all personally that it isn't fun. This is basically advice for myself, but I extend it to all of you as well: let's try to keep level heads and calm, collected attitudes this month.

Finally, I'd like to add a boilerplate "be civil" to these recommendations. All of this stuff is in the OP in one form or another, and the biggest thing to take away from that is to be civil. After all, at the end of the day, we're just talking about video games presentations here. You all know what being civil means in the context of this forum I think, so I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks for reading everybody. Now, let the Nintendo Direct craze begin! On Monday, starting in the morning PST. But, y'know. Soon!

Now, while I (hopefully) have eyes on this post, I have some OP logistics stuff I'd like to take note of:

First, as always, if you have any comments, suggestions, or complaints about how I'm doing as OP, I'm listening. You can post in this thread, or DM me. You can be harsh, I won't mind!

If we are still on OT3 when a Nintendo Direct is announced, I'll request a temporary lock to this thread as soon as I see the notification (which will likely be as soon as it goes out on Twitter, unless I'm driving or something). If any moderators or staff are reading this post, I solicit your opinion on this. I will not be attempting to make the Direct announcement thread, as I'll leave that to the fastest typist. I think in the past we've had an announcement thread followed by a live thread for the presentation, but, as a personal suggestion to whomever makes the thread, I think a thread for the announcement with a threadmark for when the presentation starts would be clean, tidy, and clear. That's obviously beyond my jurisdiction, though. This thread will presumably reopen after the Direct has concluded whenever one of the site's hardworking volunteer moderators can get to it. Please do not make an OT4 in the meantime, although there would certainly be some comedy in that.

Speaking of OT4, I'd like to get the issue of finding its author squared away. I slipped in at the end of OT2 and requested the honors, and I personally think that having a different OP for each OT could be a really cool tradition for NintendoEra. However, this time I'd like us to find the person to do it before we get to the end of the thread. Anyone is welcome! Please don't be intimidated by how hard I try at this; it's only a big deal if you make it a big deal. As I alluded to earlier in this post, I've messed up a couple times and done too much or made the wrong call, but it's all been okay. Furthermore, you pretty much can't underperform as OP: at their heart, the Nintendo Direct Speculation Threads are community threads, and how updated the OP is or how many threadmarks there are doesn't impact that. Anyone can do it, and no matter what you'll do a good job! Being OP has been incredibly fun for me, it's the most fun I've ever had on Era and the position has led me to meet a bunch of really cool, nice people with great taste in games. It's been a heck of a way to go out and I wouldn't trade it for anything. If you're someone who wants to get more involved in the community here but you aren't sure how, I'd strongly recommend you consider authoring OT4. If you're interested, you can post in the thread or DM me and I'll try to coordinate that.

Thanks again, NintendoEra, you've been insanely great. Now, let's get ready for the last stretch of waiting for our first 2020 Direct!!

camelkong

Feb 26, 2018
Ok weird question but does anyone know what time the Mini Direct dropped in January 2018? I have a conspiracy theory that I'm building around the fact that the Kentucky Route Zero people seem to be launching part 5 at 12pm EST on Tuesday

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
btw guys my big dorky etiquette post isn't in response to anything recent, I started writing it like three days ago

Ok weird question but does anyone know what time the Mini Direct dropped in January 2018? I have a conspiracy theory that I'm building around the fact that the Kentucky Route Zero people seem to be launching part 5 at 12pm EST on Tuesday
It was in the morning, EST. I think 10 AM EST, 7 AM PST? I remember because I was in high school back then.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
btw guys my big dorky etiquette post isn't in response to anything recent, I started writing it like three days ago

It was in the morning, EST. I think 10 AM EST, 7 AM PST? I remember because I was in high school back then.
I think it was 9 AM EST/6 AM PST. I remember it was roughly then because I had class around 10 and it was shadow dropped like right when i was supposed to wake up.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
For boxed games I expect:

(Co-)Developed by Nintendo EPD
Using Nintendo IPs, developed without Nintendo
3rd Party game & IP published by Nintendo in the West

January - Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore
February -
March - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
April - Super Mario 3D World Deluxe | Pikmin 3 Deluxe
May - Splatoon SOS | Famicom Tantei Club: Kieta Koukeisha
June - Mario Golf | Xenoblade: Definitive Edition
July - New Kirby
August - Pokkén Tournament 2 | Bravely Default II | Metroid 5
September - Monster Hunter Portable 5 | Mario+Rabbids 2
October - New IP from Yabuki | The World Ends With You 2 | Famicom Tantei Club: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo
November - Breath of the Wild 2 | Detective Pikachu 2
December - Super Mario Party 2

Q1 - New IP from Kawamoto | Rhythm Heaven | Pikmin 4 | Bayonetta 3
Q2 - Super Mario Odyssey 2 | The Wind Waker HD
Q3 - Tomodachi 3 | Fire Emblem 18 (Remake) | Paper Mario: Color Splash Deluxe | Metroid Prime Trilogy HD | New WarioWare | Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai
Q4 - Pokémon 4G Remake | New IP from Monolith Soft | Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Beijing 2022 | New Nintendogs | New Style Savvy

Q1 - New 2D Mario | Monster Hunter Portable 5 Ultimate | Twilight Princess HD | New Dragon Quest Monsters
Q2 - Animal Crossing spinoff | Mario Strikers 3 from Next Level | Metroid Prime 4
Q3 - Super Mario Party 3 | New Kirby | New IP from Kawamoto | Octopath Traveler 2 | Xenoblade Chronicles X Deluxe | Dragon Quest Builders 3
Q4 - Pokémon Sword+/Shield+ | Zelda Oracle Remakes | New 3D Donkey Kong from Camelot | Yoshi's Woolly World Deluxe

Never
January - The Wonderful 101 | Pokémon Mystery Dungeon

Fewer and smaller games in 2023 because of the release of Switch 2 near the end of the year with Splatoon 3 and Mario Kart 9 at/around launch + Pokémon 9G available on both Switch 1 and 2.
This list sounds like a dream. I don't see them do Pokémon SwSh+ in 2022, 3 years after the release of the vanilla games though. Those are either coming this year or next year, but I don't think there'll be another game in between, be it a remake (Sinnoh) or another RPG (Let's Go Johto for example). It'll probably be SwSh+ this year and Sinnoh remakes next year.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I think it was 9 AM EST/6 AM PST. I remember it was roughly then because I had class around 10 and it was shadow dropped like right when i was supposed to wake up.
I did some perusing and googling, can't seem to find it

Did I just get lectured about manners by a racoon.
D8gXH_XW4AILVBv.jpg

be nice

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
This list sounds like a dream. I don't see them do Pokémon SwSh+ in 2022, 3 years after the release of the vanilla games though. Those are either coming this year or next year, but I don't think there'll be another game in between, be it a remake (Sinnoh) or another RPG (Let's Go Johto for example). It'll probably be SwSh+ this year and Sinnoh remakes next year.
Nvm about the order for Pokémon I thought Platinum launched 3 years after Diamond/Pearl but it didn't so yeah it makes less sense than I thought.
However it's not really a dream list for me, lots of ports / enhanced editions and more casual titles like Nintendogs and Tomodachi (and games that I don't care about lol). The "big" new games for 2021 would be Pikmin 4, Bayonetta 3, Odyssey 2 and Monolith's new IP for instance, all games that are expected/rumoured to be pretty far along in development. Also Pokémon which is basically annual and the Fire Emblem remake makes sense since Koei Tecmo helped a lot with Three Houses, idk.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I'm not liking the time the Mini Direct was released in my timezone...

mO1kO2Q.png

but... I don't think we're looking at another Mini Direct here, so I have nothing to worry about. Until the next Smash character presentation, which also air around that time.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I'm not liking the time the Mini Direct was released in my timezone...

mO1kO2Q.png

but... I don't think we're looking at another Mini Direct here, so I have nothing to worry about. Until the next Smash character presentation, which also air around that time.
Can't miss Sakurai playing through the entire 25 minute "Make the Moon" stage in Katamari Reroll.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
He's also surprisingly charismatic for a dude who's entire life is video games lol
Yeah most fighting game nerds aren't too charming.

Sakurai is a top tier Nintendo figure imo, it probably goes something like:

S: Iwata, Miyamoto, Sakurai
A+: Yokoi, Reggie
A: Tezuka, Nogami, Yabuki, Takahashi, Koizumi
A-: literally everyone else, no one at Nintendo deserves a B or below

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019

But... But Bill Trinen!

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

No love for our boy Shibata? Disgusting.

5iHv0qe.gif

Jan 2, 2018

Koizumi is easily S tier! He is the George Clooney of Nintendo!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it happening? Are we getting TWEWY 2 built ground-up for Switch?

TWEWY 2 and Bravely Default II in the same year? Also Trials of Mana? Also I'm still playing SaGa Scarlet Grace? I don't know how this happened but Square Enix snuck up and started delivering on Switch. They were a supporter since the beginning but now they are on fire.
yeah square is doing pretty good on switch. both with exclusives and multiplats.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread moves waaaay too fast.

Has there been any insider info recently? When can we expect a direct?

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Seeing a lot of smoke that could potentially indicate a Direct incoming soon: the Kentucky Route Zero date of importance for Tuesday, the TWEWY website, the Switch maintenance, and potentially even something like the Frictional website updating and teasing a game.

Of course, it's also January when these sort of game announcements happen, so more likely it's all complete coincidence.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Seeing a lot of smoke that could potentially indicate a Direct incoming soon: the Kentucky Route Zero date of importance for Tuesday, the TWEWY website, the Switch maintenance, and potentially even something like the Frictional website updating and teasing a game.

Of course, it's also January when these sort of game announcements happen, so more likely it's all complete coincidence.
I'm not so sure with TWEWY in particular - I don't think TWEWY 2 is going to be on anything but Nintendo consoles, as even its re-releases didn't get put on anything but the Switch and mobile platforms. If that game's getting announced this month, it will be at a Nintendo Direct.

That's if it's TWEWY 2, and if it's being announced this month, though.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I'm not so sure with TWEWY in particular - I don't think TWEWY 2 is going to be on anything but Nintendo consoles, as even its re-releases didn't get put on anything but the Switch and mobile platforms. If that game's getting announced this month, it will be at a Nintendo Direct.

That's if it's TWEWY 2, and if it's being announced this month, though.
Tansut's post implies otherwise ;)

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019

Hey, Aonuma is really cool too! Is an A/A+ to me!

Bobdapeach

Jun 15, 2019
I'm #TeamJanuary for the next direct and I really hope they reveal a new MH title. I know a lot of people seem to want MH Stories, but I really want a new main series title

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Quoted it on the previous page; but "it's not like it only would be relevant to just this console eventually anyway" definitely implies it'll release elsewhere and won't remain Nintendo exclusive.
Ah, interesting, I forgot that bit. I'm actually rather curious how they're going to make the mechanics work in a way that's, uh, fun with a controller, then.

Either way, the Direct is definitely still happening in January, because I want it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.