• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Tetris 99 was a thing in Q1 2019 and it was bloody brilliant. Why do people ignore it? Retail releases aren't the be all and end all. We almost certainly don't have new Q1 retail titles coming from Nintendo, but there could be a surprise release for eShop.

If Nintendo want to keep people subscribed to Switch Online, it's a good time to release or announce a new eShop game for Switch Online.

If Nintendo's not releasing AAA bombshells every minute on the minute, it's a drought. ERA lives in a bubble.

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_ppa154xgEq1ts612to1_500.png

wonder-blue-the-wonderful-101-4.08.jpg

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'll guess Q2 will have 3D World, Pikmin 3, the next wave of SNES games, XenoblaDE, and a various assortment of small titles.

Q3 will have Bayonetta 3 and Paper Mario. Q4 will have Mario Party and BOTW2. Pepper in some surprise announcements.
Now... are you putting 2D Metroid in Q3 or Q4?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Good posts here. Direct feeds my hype.

Anyway, I know some people in here want the Kingdom Hearts games to appear on the Switch, but sometimes I wonder what makes them want the series. Yeah I know, Disney, the combat and crazyness among several reasons.

But I'm playing III right (my backlog is shrinking yay) and I just got started, but good lord is that diaglogue terrible. Sora, Goofy an Donald talk to eachother like if gbeu
People really like the characters, worlds, cameos and gameplay.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Considering Monster Hunter now seems to have "evolved" beyond Nintendo platforms + the complete lack of anything substantial from Capcom so far with Switch I think the only logical conclusion is that they have simply been hard at work on the huge AAA release titled - Splatoon : Salmon Hunter. Clearly the spinoff game we all know that the twitter hint was alluding to.

Good times. Should make for a good direct announcement

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Speaking of KH, is everybody on the same page that those handheld spinoffs have kinda died? Like the Switch probably won't get an exclusive KH like GBA, DS, 3DS did?

Because at that point it's feasible to put it on PS4
If it is exclusive it'd only be a timed exclusive because there'd be no point restricting it to Switch only unless Nintendo paid for it

Square Enix is probably moving towards a follow-up on next-gen consoles though

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Circumstantial evidence time!
Every year here in NZ we have kiosks selling calendars that have Mario and Zelda and thats about it.
This year for the first time they were selling these sweet metroid ones:
202000005778.jpg
It also says this on the back:
Bring peace to the galaxy in 2020 with renowned bounty hunter Samus Aran. This exciting 16-month calendar features artwork spanning the events of Samus Aran's career in Nintendo's Metroid series, starting with the original 1986 Metroid, through the Prime series, and concluding with a return to Planet SR388 in Metroid: Samus Returns (TM). Suit up against Space Pirates, Metroids, and everything else that comes your way this year.

The fact that they are putting one out at all is interesting enough, but also the quote seems to imply something Metroid happening this year.

I know, I know, its probably just the HD collection and then trying to hype 4 for next year or the year after, but maybe we're getting a bit more? 2D Metroid?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Every year here in NZ we have kiosks selling calendars that have Mario and Zelda and thats about it.
202000005778.jpg
Bring peace to the galaxy in 2020 with renowned bounty hunter Samus Aran. This exciting 16-month calendar features artwork spanning the events of Samus Aran's career in Nintendo's Metroid series, starting with the original 1986 Metroid, through the Prime series, and concluding with a return to Planet SR388 in Metroid: Samus Returns (TM). Suit up against Space Pirates, Metroids, and everything else that comes your way this year.

The fact that they are putting one out at all is interesting enough, but also the quote seems to imply something Metroid happening this year.

I know, I know, its probably just the HD collection and then trying to hype 4 for next year or the year after, but maybe we're getting a bit more? 2D Metroid?
Correct link

That's pretty cool. I don't think it implies anything though.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Not a hint, but i like where your mind's at.

Nice~!

I'm pretty much in the boat that X9 is inevitable at this point. One thing Capcom is good at doing is building up hype and reintroducing characters that they stand to reuse in the very near future, and the X series has gotten a lot of love, in the last few years. It's just simply a matter of time.

Of course, I'd love it if they would announce it before the anniversary in December, but that much is not up to me.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
202000005778.jpg

I'm already expecting a new 2D Metroid.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
hey Zippo , I'm about to catch a plane and I've been reading the thread while waiting to board, I'm currently on page 361, I would like to thank you for all your info. Even if things change and not all turn out to be 100% correct, thanks for sharing what you know.

that also applies to NateDrake, Emily, and captain.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Wonderful 101 has some of the the coolest visuals I've seen in the last decade but critical reception wasn't that amazing last time - why do people think it needs another shot? Also wasn't it a game that was designed with the game pad in mind? Seems like it's just damning the game a second time.

I'd love the same style used for a new game, even if it means we don't see it for a while.

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful 101 has some of the the coolest visuals I've seen in the last decade but critical reception wasn't that amazing last time - why do people think it needs another shot? Also wasn't it a game that was designed with the game pad in mind? Seems like it's just damning the game a second time.

I'd love the same style used for a new game, even if it means we don't see it for a while.
I never used the Gamepad while playing it.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
When the hell did Zippo become an insider lol

I don't spent enough time in these Nintendo speculation threads to keep up with everything lol

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for everything Zippo :D

I was wondering if there's anything you heard about Monolith Soft in general? Am I right in thinking that they're still a big mystery among ResetEra's insider circle?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Right like you said the February Direct gave us Nintendo's entire lineup of 2020, except for Ring Fit Adventure. They told us all the games through September and we knew about Luig's Mansion 3 prior to that. This year we know up to March. The thing is this time we don't have that "Luigi's Mansion 3" game lingering that we know could come in the holidays. I guess BotW 2 is kind of that since we think it would be a holiday game. Let's say November for example.

Nintendo has to fill in April, May, June, July, August, September, October and maybe December. In February they gave us June, August and September. We already knew about Fire Emblem Three Houses. It was a known quantity and got July for it. We don't have that this year. It's possible they could say Bravely Default 2 is the game even though it's not first party. Xenoblade seems like it'll come by May if you believe the retail website. Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World might be April and June. So, we have July, August, September, October and possibly December left. If I'm predicting Paper Mario, 2D Metroid, Bayonetta 3, Captain Toad and a 2D DK game for example. Do you think Nintendo wants to announce like 5 new games + date some known games like Bayonetta 3? It feels like it could be too much for one direct, but if they go all out it'd be the greatest direct of all time for me lol. Plus I believe they want to show one more trailer for BotW 2 before E3. And I don't think they want to show some now, then announce like 3 new games at E3 for Switch to come this year. They don't really do that at E3 during the Switches life.

It's all speculation and talk on my part. It could go either way in doing 2 directs before E3 or one huge direct, then E3.
Like you pointed out earlier, the only E3 Switch reveal from Nintendo that released the same year was Super Mario Party. That strategy is the exception, not the norm. My guess is that we have release dates/windows up to and including July at the very least by the end of the next Direct, with further titles confirmed as 2020 releases and then dated at E3. I think, short of any Labo or Ring Fit style experiments, we know Nintendo's first party line up for the year by the end of April. That just seems to be their method now. We can expect 2021 reveals at E3 and again in September.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Guys I saw two otters today. Weird coincidence, must be a Direct happening soon.

Granted, this was at the zoo and I was at the otter enclosure. But still, seems kinda fishy to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.