• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
BoTW 2 seems to be the most logical choice. Also a good game to use to counter the PS5 and Xbox Series X releases.

"Oh man PS5 and the new Xbox are pretty cool!"

"Yeah Well the Switch has ton of games and they just released the new Zelda!"

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid 5,Bayo 3, Monster Hunter, Zelda HD remasters and... something Donkey Kong, hopefully.

I expect couple of miracle ports akin to The Witcher 3; maybe Cyberpunk or Watch Dogs or one of Bethesda's newer games.
None of those are Nintendo's Giant first party heavy hitters

That slot, if not Pokémon, will be filled with 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, 2D Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart or Smash. It has to be one of those. From there we narrow down. Also no ports

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
BoTW 2 seems to be the most logical choice. Also a good game to use to counter the PS5 and Xbox Series X releases.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. They want something big to counter those launch titles.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Arlo's new video definitely asks a good question. What will the big holiday game be this year?

Pokemon is now (thankfully) out of the running. Only a few options left i figure.

Metroid 5,Bayo 3, Monster Hunter, Zelda HD remasters and... something Donkey Kong, hopefully.

I don't think, however, that Bayonetta 3 or the Zelda HD remaster would be the "big" holiday games. I mean, I suppose Bayonetta will be released in the last months of the year, but it isn't something which I would call "big" as Odissey, Smash and Pokémon were for 2017, 2018 and 2019.
In my opinion, BotW2 would be the perfect game to be released in the month where Sony and Microsoft will launch their new home consoles, but at the same time who knows if it will be ready in time? The alternative would be Odissey 2, but if they are going to release the Mario 3d World port in the next months, I doubt we will get Odissey 2 this year. So it is really a difficult question in my opinion. Maybe we will get several games, but not a single one which would catalyze all the attention.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With all major titles getting attention on Switch, what I want the most is a proper 3D donkey Kong. Let MARIO take a breather and give us a true 3D DK please =(

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, that would be awesome, but you're expecting way too much there.

Really? Because it doesn't seem so. First of all, for MH it's the question of when, not if. Second, we got lots of great port studios doing gods work for Switch: Saber, Virtuos, Iron Galaxy, Panic Button, Feral and Aspyr, most of those will definitely have something for 2020. Panic Button could do Bethesda's newly announced games: Deathloop (made by Youngblood devs) and Ghostwire Tokyo, Virtuos could do Watch Dogs Legion (they did the same studios's previous game: Starlink) and I believe Saber can make Cyberpunk work with certain sacrficies.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Really? Because it doesn't seem so. First of all, for MH it's the question of when, not if. Second, we got lots of great port studios doing gods work for Switch: Saber, Virtuos, Iron Galaxy, Panic Button, Feral and Aspyr, most of those will definitely have something for 2020. Panic Button could do Bethesda's newly announced games: Deathloop (made by Youngblood devs) and Ghostwire Tokyo, Virtuos could do Watch Dogs Legion (they did the same studios's previous game: Starlink) and I believe Saber can make Cyberpunk work with certain sacrficies.

Oh no. I think those things can happen, but just not in a two month tomeframe. They want huge marquee first party titles during that time.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
BotW2 in November would be unexpected imo, but very cool. Don't fancy 3D Mario games, so an entry in that direction would be disappointing to me personally.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
BoTW 2 makes the most sense. In terms of big titles it's the most logical candidate.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

On this note, if a "Pro" were to exist, do we think Nintendo would use it for anything other than framerate and resolution on BotW2?

Thinking back to BotW on Wii U, they made a point to say there weren't any differences in game assets outside of sound quality.

It's possible. 2017 had Mario and Xenoblade, 2018 had Pokemon and Smash.

DQXIS was Nintendo published and a far better game than Pokémon Sw/Sh, so that's two heavy hitters in 2019 as well by my eyes :) (and seems LM3 was pretty damn successful too)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
This year the 4 new games that did big numbers during the Holidays were Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion, RingFit and Mario + Sonic (SEGA).

In 2018 it was Smash, Pokemon and Super Mario Party.

So 3 important retail games coming in Q4 is a good guess with maybe one 3rd party exclusive.

My guess ? BotW2, SMP2 and Paper Mario.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like concensus has shifted to that there's no room for Odyssey 2 this year even if they might have it ready right?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Arlo's new video definitely asks a good question. What will the big holiday game be this year?

Pokemon is now (thankfully) out of the running. Only a few options left i figure.
I'd have to assume that Zelda is intended for the big November release. I'd also assume Nintendo have a back up option, but I'm not sure what that would be. Maybe another big release gets pushed back.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Boy I really hope BOTW2 doesn't get delayed. Feels like Nintendo's holiday is leaning hard on that game.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
With 3D World being likely, Odyssey 2 doesn't really have enough breathing room imo. Two different games in terms of design, but two 3D Marios nonetheless. Releasing both in one year seems like it's too much.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
how possible is Odyssey 2 with Wart as the villain? Seems Nintendo teased Wart today. Not that it means anything of course.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
None of those are Nintendo's Giant first party heavy hitters

That slot, if not Pokémon, will be filled with 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, 2D Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart or Smash. It has to be one of those. From there we narrow down. Also no ports

No way Nintendo rushes something gigantic like 3D Zelda or 3D Mario to hit the fall season. Nintendo's principle is absolute on this: A rushed game is always bad. There's a chance that Zelda could make it to 2020 but there's also a similar chance that it could miss. I mean, it's january 2020 and we still don't know if the game is slated for this year. They didn't give a timeframe because there's always a possibility for a delay.

Also think of this way. Nintendo can't always rely on 3D Zelda or 3D Mario to carry the console. The need to make a big deal of other franchises too. DK has the potential to hit 10m point with a huge title when advertised enough. Maybe it's time to put the spotlights on him. I trust that MK team can create an excellent DK racer.

I think fall's Mario title will either be Paper Mario or 3D world port. And Nintendo would not release Mario too close to each other to stop cannibalizing their sales.

Oh no. I think those things can happen, but just not in a two month tomeframe. They want huge marquee first party titles during that time.

I wouldn't underestimate the power of Nintendo franchises that's not Mario, Zelda or Pokémon. Nintendo has the power to make a big deal out of anything they have and they will do so.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
remember when they tried to capitalize on Puzzles and Dragons's success with Puzzles and Dragons and Marios, but instead of capitalizing on the literal decades of interesting and unique Mario graphic styles and enemies they went with The Modern Mario Aesthetic and it just felt like bland and souless, which is saying A Lot because it was already a 3DS version of a mobile gatcha game

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
With 3D World being likely, Odyssey 2 doesn't really have enough breathing room imo. Two different games in terms of design, but two 3D Marios nonetheless. Releasing both in one year seems like it's too much.
But we got NSMB Deluxe and Mario Maker in the same year...
I'll go with Odyssey 2 coming out this year.(because why not lol)

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It feels like concensus has shifted to that there's no room for Odyssey 2 this year even if they might have it ready right?
They need to keep something for 2021. The Switch could end up having a pretty long lifespan, they needn't blow everything right now.

Plus I don't know... I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoyed Odyssey for a little while, but it's appeal seemed pretty superficial. I didn't enjoy it as much as the Galaxy games, that's for darn sure.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dragon quest XI S is in the top 5 nintendo published games for switch.
such a shame it didn't perform better, sales-wise.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
took this screenshot in the pokemon mystery dungeon demo. how is this game this pretty? the art style is just so good.

2020011300170700-2a2bbzjh5.jpg

baltic

Oct 27, 2017
dragon quest XI S is in the top 5 nintendo published games for switch.
such a shame it didn't perform better, sales-wise.
Doing my part right now.

Enthusiasm around here + Tim Rogers have swayed me to experience my first DQ game, to no regret.

30 hrs in and I'm really enjoying it.

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
Zippo Is it possible you could recap all of what you've said so far regarding a new Paper Mario title? Not trying to pry you for new information or anything, just unclear as to what you've said that isn't just speculation.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I think there's a 3D Mario happening, but not this year.
I'd hoped we'd get a new 3D Mario this year, but all the chatter of 3D World being ported makes me think new 3D Mario could be next year - but I also thought 2D Mario would get a 'reboot' next year, and I'm not sure if we'd get new 2D and 3D entries in the same year.

Right now I'd assume Zelda is down for November, with Paper Mario for October and Bayonetta 3 either September or December.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
took this screenshot in the pokemon mystery dungeon demo. how is this game this pretty? the art style is just so good.

2020011300170700-2a2bbzjh5.jpg
They've done such a great job of replicating the original game's artwork; it's really amazing.

Yet some people really think this could be one of those scrapped 3DS projects they moved to the Switch? lol.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, kinda forgot about the next mainline 2D Mario. That could be the big 2021 holiday title (in addition to DPP Remakes)

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Um, i'm out of the loop. How do we know this?
We don't, just a case of enough people repeating vague "leaks" and jumping to conclusions. I've been watching this thread in Era and back on GAF before we all left purely for 3D World info. Everyone swore it was right around the corner since 2017. Still waiting lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.