• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
That doesn't mean anything. It was in development for nearly 2 years when it was announced at E3 2019. Everything is "under development" until they release. They just didn't commit to a year date because they're not sure if it'll make 2020. It's using everything from BotW and by this holiday it'll be 3.5 years of development. That's plenty of time to put a sequel to BotW out.

"Using everything from BotW" might not be entirely accurate, we don't know how much stuff will be new either, it doesn't seem unreasonable and Nintendo doesn't just release games because their development was complete.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I would love this as a massive Splatoon fan. I love the world they've created and I'm really curious to see what they do next with it.

I was thinking about this recently. Against all odds I actually started up Splatoon 2 again (I rarely return to games), and god it's fun. I'm so bad tho - deranked down to C and probably pissed off a load of people on the way.

Anyway, the speculation on a spinoff has been centered around Grizzco, and while I loved Salmon run, I'd be admittedly kind of bummed if a Splatoon game dropped that didn't have the signature squid kid street wear and musical stylings. I really just want Splatoon 3 I think.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Yep it's perfect for April. Nice spring time with Pikmin 3 works well. Announce by February to release late April. That's about the time Nintendo likes to announce to release Wii U ports.

I really believe it's happening. I already believed it before the Splatoon 2020 twitter post seemed to hint at something Splatoon is coming this year. If it's a spin-off who knows what it could be. Another type of multiplayer game? Something more single player?

splatoon-sos-800x400.jpg

It seems pretty Salmon Run focused, in salmon run you are harvesting their eggs and it's like a cry for help, the lifesaver thing in the water is from salmon run, it's salmons holding the 2020 with salmon eggs in it.
Like there's so many references to that mode it has to be something to do with it or salmonids.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
Wouldnt Pikmin 3 make more sense in 2017 or 2018? If Pikmin 4 is coming soon, they would be crazy to canibalize the sequels sales with the port.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There was Mario Maker.
And animal Crossing could be more online than previous entries, we'll have to wait and see.
Whatever the maio kart team are doing could be an online focused game, but could be a new IP if it's not mario kart

LOL I forgot about Mario Maker, thanks

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldnt Pikmin 3 make more sense in 2017 or 2018? If Pikmin 4 is coming soon, they would be crazy to canibalize the sequels sales with the port.
I think Pikmin 3 will be by June this year and 4 sometime next summer - so a year and a few months between the 2 projects.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
There was Mario Maker.
And animal Crossing could be more online than previous entries, we'll have to wait and see.
Whatever the maio kart team are doing could be an online focused game, but could be a new IP if it's not mario kart

Yeah, I'm pretty sure whatever it is is a multiplayer game.

Something I realized lately is that apparently the ARMS sales and playerbase dropped off a cliff shortly after launch. That's not good. It's making me wonder, if that's true, Nintendo might want to put them on a proven IP like Mario Kart or something like that. That game division (the Mario Kart team) is a giant source of income for the company.

Last edited:

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Once again, the Mario Kart team at EPD has released at least one game every three years since 2005:

2005:
Nintendogs
Mario Kart DS

2008:
Mario Kart Wii

2011:
Nintendogs + Cats
Mario Kart 7

2014:
Mario Kart 8

2017:
ARMS
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Would not expect that to be any different this year.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be easier to get excited for Wii U ports if Nintendo would hold a direct and tell us what Wii U ports are coming.

Im 16 hours into TMS #FE and I got past the point in which I quit playing it on Wii U. This game is so much better when you're not forced to use a Wii U Gamepad to play it. A massive JRPG is not the type of game I want to use a controller with three hours of battery life with.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
I think Pikmin 3 will be by June this year and 4 sometime next summer - so a year and a few months between the 2 projects.
Still, one year is not a lot... Imagine releasing Mario Kart 9 in 2018? I think they should've released it around 2018, maybe 2019 at the lattest.

It will def impact the sequel sales, unless they somehow make the game VERY different from 3 (which is very unlikely if you look at the series)

Otherwise people will be like 'eh, just got one a year ago' and get another game

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Once again, the Mario Kart team at EPD has released at least one game every three years since 2005:

2005:
Nintendogs
Mario Kart DS

2008:
Mario Kart Wii

2011:
Nintendogs + Cats
Mario Kart 7

2014:
Mario Kart 8

2017:
ARMS
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

It's been there years since the last Mario Kart entry. Mario Kart entries come out every here years according to this. Hmmmmmmmm.

Goddammit, I really want to know what they're making 😑

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

2005:
Nintendogs
Mario Kart DS

2008:
Mario Kart Wii

2011:
Nintendogs + Cats
Mario Kart 7

2014:
Mario Kart 8

2017:
ARMS
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Mario Kart 9 has enormous potential. Online tournaments and leagues, water and aerial vehicles, expanded roster, new techniques and items...there's a ton of interesting stuff they could do.

Unfortunately I just can't see it releasing this year. Seems like the earliest it would come would be in 2023.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018

2005:
Nintendogs
Mario Kart DS

2008:
Mario Kart Wii

2011:
Nintendogs + Cats
Mario Kart 7

2014:
Mario Kart 8

2017:
ARMS
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

They might have liberty to take their time on the next Mario Kart entry, especially with how MK8DX is the highest selling game on the Switch. I just can't seem them risking cannoblizing MK8DX sales by releasing MK9 now

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I see the Splatoon spin-off as the big June/July game for Nintendo (yes I believe a spin-off is coming and Splatoon is a summer game).

I know some want to think it's 3D World, but honestly 3D World could be a May game too. It could possibly be June with Splatoon spin-off in July.
Maybe Splatoon spin-off is a possible RPG that fits with what Emily is saying?

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Yeah, I'm pretty sure whatever it is is a multiplayer game. S

Something I realized lately is that apparently the ARMS sales and playerbase dropped off a cliff shortly after launch. That's not good. It's making me wonder, if that's true, Nintendo might want to put them on a proven IP like Mario Kart or something like that. That game division (the Mario Kart team) is a giant source of income for the company.

They might still let them work on a new IP if they wanted to, I think for what it was ARMS did pretty well even if sales fell off a bit.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Mario Kart 9 has enormous potential. Online tournaments and leagues, water and aerial vehicles, expanded roster, new techniques and items...there's a ton of interesting stuff they could do.

Unfortunately I just can't see it releasing this year. Seems like the earliest it would come would be in 2023.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. That team is incedibly efficient.

They might have liberty to take their time on the next Mario Kart entry, especially with how MK8DX is the highest selling game on the Switch. I just can't seem them risking cannoblizing MK8DX sales by releasing MK9 now

It also doesn't have to be MK9. It can be something else.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
I'd love to get a new IP from EPD this year to keep things fresh. Couple that with a possible Splatoon spin-off and I'd be all set.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

Thing is, that happens with all games. BOTW sales will decline shortly after BOTW2 launches, same with Odyssey, Pokemon, etc. Mario Kart is no different.

Not saying it'll happen, but a MK9 would sell a TON, and it would help combat the new console onslaught. And now that I think about it, Mario Kart is a casual game, this fitting Emily's list perfectly....

God I need some sleep.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely not ARMS, that's for certain. Nintendo seems to have zero interest in continuing it.
I know you said you'd be speculating here on out but I had never seen a sentiment around here that ARMS is done, I feel like asignificant amount of posters thinking they'll continue it. so I have to ask if this is just speculation or not, because kind of a big deal if not :o

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I know you said you'd be speculating here on out but I had never seen a sentiment around here that ARMS is done in fact I've seen a significant amount of posters thinking they'll continue it so I have to ask if this is just speculation or not, because kind of a big deal if not

Part information, part speculation. Would not get your hopes up, though. I say this as an ARMS fan.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It's believable yeah, it didn't light up the charts even when it was a premiere title close to launch, but damn that sucks

I doubt it'll get a Smash character too if that's the case

Sakurai tends to wait to see how new franchises do before putting them in Smash. The producer was also not big on the idea in Smash yet. I'm happy Spring Man got in as an assist trophy, at least.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I mean, when you compare a game that's sold nearly 20 million copies to one that couldn't even crack 3 million, which one would you pick?

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Zippo, what would you expect it to be then? Mario Kart 9, a new IP, or something else?

Not asking for actual info here, just curious to see what you think it is if it isn't ARMS 2.

Apr 21, 2018

2005:
Nintendogs
Mario Kart DS

2008:
Mario Kart Wii

2011:
Nintendogs + Cats
Mario Kart 7

2014:
Mario Kart 8

2017:
ARMS
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I would really love to see them take on Diddy Kong Racing, in order to give Mario Kart a rest but continue with a kart-style racer.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Since MK team seems to be focusing on multiplayer, let them do Metroid Prime Hunters 2

Plus going by ARMS the character designs would be a massive improvement from Hunters.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Sakurai tends to wait to see how new franchises do before putting them in Smash. The producer was also not big on the idea in Smash yet. I'm happy Spring Man got in as an assist trophy, at least.

I absolutely get the sentiment but putting an ARMS representative in Smash could be just the perfect promotional platform for the series anyway. It's totally logical why they'd just can the series in favor of bigger franchises but it's really sad how apparently it won't ever see the light of day again.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I think Mario Kart, whatever form that takes. I can't personally see them doing two new IPs in a row, but that's just me.

I think a track maker feature would be really cool.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a sec, that is an interesting trend. The past two handhelds have both had Metroid Multiplayer games. Will Switch get one?

I honestly hope they would flesh it out and make it its own game instead of part of Prime 4. One because it'd make sure Retro is focusing on the single player, two because it would let us see another team's take on Metroid

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I absolutely get the sentiment but putting an ARMS representative in Smash could be just the perfect promotional platform for the series anyway. It's totally logical why they'd just can the series in favor of bigger franchises but it's really sad how apparently it won't ever see the light of day again.

Yeah, I think doing them as a character would've been great marketing but their time has long since past.

I don't know about ever again, but i think for now, that team is focused on other things.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the team would be okay with trying new IP while Mario Kart 8 Deluxe continues to sell like bonkers anyway. A new Mario Kart would cut the legs of 8, so I don't think it's as simple as "Mario Kart sells more so they should focus on that."

Status
Not open for further replies.