• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Nah. No direct next week. Just saving you a headache.

Appreciate it (I've been #TeamFebruary since last February, but at least it saves us a week of the discussion revolving around "it'll be this week, I'm sure of it").

I'm just glad Nintendo considers Silksong important enough to be featured in their release infographic.

The original must have been a huge success.

I'm just curious to see how else it differs, especially with the plot. It'll be interesting to see how they handle a story where the protagonist canonically talks.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I almost want the next 2D Mario to disregard 30 years of evolution and base a game off of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. I'm staying at a hotel with my family and my nephew is watching it. I remember watching this as a kid (maybe when I was 3 and there were reruns in the mid-90s), but I just specifically remember the episode where Luigi and Yoshi turn into chickens after eating burgers made by Bowser (King Koopa? whatever). I never revisited it. To preface, I've had a few beers, but I thought I'd get a kick out of revisiting it. Holy hell, dude.

So far, in this one episode, we've had a rap theme song, followed by a live action Ron Jeremy look-a-like claiming to be Mario and then ANOTHER rap theme song. Now Birdo is licking Toad and feeding him from a bottle? Mario is talking about plungers as if he's ACTUALLY knows the art of plumbing? Bowser wants his feet licked and his GOONS ARE ACTUALLY DOING IT???? Peach literally tells Mario that he can become THE Super Mario, and the way to do it is through the power of pasta. This is wild, how do people hate this show? I want more of it, it's peak 80s/90s camp and I want it in controllable form. Give me an entire platformer based around it and it would somehow be more interesting than the NSMB games.

I'm also 100% joking (though I will keep watching it because I'm having a very rough week, my grandpa is in the hospital in bad shape, and this is helping to distract me), but I also will 100% not complain if this somehow became reality.

EDIT: Netflix kept the teaser at the end of the episode for the Legend of Zelda cartoon, complete with a clip of Link saying "excuuuuuuuuse me Princess" to signal his catchphrase, which is set to air "This Friday!". Mario then rapped "Do the Mario!" to the tune of the song from 1-1. Yeah, I'm binging this whether my nephew stays awake or not.

Nov 8, 2017
As much as I'm excited for a Direct, it's probably going to get drowned out by the PS5 announcements if it ends up happening in February.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
So it seems the new groove Nintendo have settled into is 3 Directs per year now in February, June, and September. I would also consider TGAs to be the "4th Direct", as it takes place in December and is roughly halfway between Sep and Feb. It seems like Direct minis are for when Nintendo has a weaker period coming up, as we haven't seen one since 2018.

I'm ok with this!

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
As much as I'm excited for a Direct, it's probably going to get drowned out by the PS5 announcements if it ends up happening in February.
Drowned out seems a bit of an exaggeration, it's not like Nintendo won't get any coverage

So it seems the new groove Nintendo have settled into is 3 Directs per year now in February, June, and September. I would also consider TGAs to be the "4th Direct", as it takes place in December and is roughly halfway between Sep and Feb. It seems like Direct minis are for when Nintendo has a weaker period coming up, as we haven't seen one since 2018.

I'm ok with this!
If September and TGA had better showings I'd be ok with it too (disclaimer I'm a huge NMH fan and I loved XC (admittedly I'm not that hyped for the remake, can't work out why))

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt nintendo cares unless it's when they would reveal the theoretical switch pro, but that is seeming unlikely. It's not like the new games they reveal will get tanked in sales because the ps5 event.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Xenoblade Definitive Edition looks like a big step up from the Wii version and especially the New 3DS downport but the low-poly-ish character models stuck out like a sore thumb in the reveal trailer

I hope they've had enough time to refine the presentation to a tee
Everything would be a step up compared to that hideous 3DS version. Urgh.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Digital Frontier is going to do such a good job with the Master Chief reveal :)
tumblr_pa4jnfwTcI1svvi2to3_500.gifv

Just this small bit with MC holding an invitation. That's it.
No. No. No.

Master Chief's trailer must be a parody of the Believe ad. No exceptions.

Don't know why but I've always envisioned the announcement using a modified version of either the opening cutscene to Halo 3:

Or, the E3 2006 trailer:

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Nintendo treats XCDE like a new game as far as trailers are concerned. I don't want too much spoiled just cause I decide to tune into a Direct

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I can't wait to put my 3DS copy of Xenoblade on eBay when the definitive version comes out in May!
Never played it for too long. Couldn't get hold of a physical Wii copy. That's why I'm also really looking forward to XenoblaDE. Offers the New 3D's portability with the higher quality a game like it deserves.

FGPack

Jan 19, 2020
Italy
I'm seeing the hype going up fro XenoblaDE. Well after spending like 300-350 hours on Xenoblade 2 i really can't wait for XenoblaDE. I think that this year will be a huge one for me with Silksong and all this RPGs that seems we will get. What i want to know more at E3 or TGS at best is SMTV. Never played one but i played TMS#FE on Wii U (got the limited) and i loved it. Did not buy the Switch port just because there was not enough new to me. Looking forward to Bravely 2 also. And if we really get some Metroid stuff...February Direct will never come soon enough ç.ç

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Bringing up WB Interactive is a bit random. I'm still a bit confused as to why the Arkham series hasn't made an appearance on Switch. I wouldn't expect Rocksteady to be working on it - they must be due a new game very soon incidentally - but they could easily have outsourced an Arkham project.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Every game (but one) I'm looking forward to this year is for the Switch and not a single one has a release date yet. So a Direct really can't come soon enough.

I really hope those retailer listings are right because Xenoblade Chronicles DE is still the game I'm looking forward to most this year. It's been at least 7 years since I've played it so I'm ready to revisit it again.

Last edited:

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I hope Nintendo treats XCDE like a new game as far as trailers are concerned. I don't want too much spoiled just cause I decide to tune into a Direct
Well, Sakurai already spoiled some of the biggest twists during a Direct tbh.

As I've said in the Smash speculation thread, I'm surprised that everyone seems to think that Nintendo will save the next newcomer reveal for E3, it seems a bad move to be quiet about it for 4 months and a half or so if they want to sell the season pass now. And this would mean waiting for a new character during twice the time we have been waiting recently, which also seems kind of crazy considering that on September Direct it was confirmed that more DLC was on the way. Even if they shadowdrop the character after the E3 Direct, it's too much time with no more content IMO. I think that the next character will be revealed soon and released during spring.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
If the 3DS release is any indication, it got super long trailers full of spoilers. But I think they were not aired in a Direct

As long as the Direct is safe I can steer clear from the rest. I just want to get a feel for how it looks in combat and running through a couple locations and towns. So excited

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
I'm seeing the hype going up fro XenoblaDE. Well after spending like 300-350 hours on Xenoblade 2 i really can't wait for XenoblaDE. I think that this year will be a huge one for me with Silksong and all this RPGs that seems we will get. What i want to know more at E3 or TGS at best is SMTV. Never played one but i played TMS#FE on Wii U (got the limited) and i loved it. Did not buy the Switch port just because there was not enough new to me. Looking forward to Bravely 2 also. And if we really get some Metroid stuff...February Direct will never come soon enough ç.ç
Do not forget trails of cold steel 3 also.
Takahashi started at falcom and It shows

Last edited:

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Well, Sakurai already spoiled some of the biggest twists during a Direct tbh.

As I've said in the Smash speculation thread, I'm surprised that everyone seems to think that Nintendo will save the next newcomer reveal for E3, it seems a bad move to be quiet about it for 4 months and a half or so if they want to sell the season pass now. And this would mean waiting for a new character during twice the time we have been waiting recently, which also seems kind of crazy considering that on September Direct it was confirmed that more DLC was on the way. Even if they shadowdrop the character after the E3 Direct, it's too much time with no more content IMO. I think that the next character will be revealed soon and released during spring.
Reveal soon, maybe. But I have a hard time believing a character is coming as early as spring when this pass will run through the end of 2021.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm 50/50 on a new Smash reveal in the next General Direct. I could see it going either way. If we don't get one there, I'll assume we're waiting until E3, although I suppose it isn't impossible we get another Smash Direct between now and E3.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This Smash pass doesn't end until 2021. They have so much time this time. They can wait until E3. Sakurai can take more of break too.

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Nah. No direct next week. Just saving you a headache.

Y'all should stop trying to figure out Nintendo, nobody knows, maybe March, maybe an AC direct next week, maybe nothing,...nobody knows and there's 0 leaks so that's that.
We have 0 facts and poor visibility on the year (despite the fact that new wiiU ports are planned) and that's the whole issue here but let's not be impatient people.

I just wish that the Direct will not clash with the PS5 reveal, as a Nintendo fan (also a PS fan) there won't be a better way to ruin your visibility....when only one logo broke the videogame portion of internet. They should do like in Formula 1 where each team kinda communicate with each other so that the reveal of their new car doesn't coincide with one another.

This Smash pass doesn't end until 2021. They have so much time this time. They can wait until E3. Sakurai can take more of break too.

They don't have much time imho. Byleth releases January 28th, so the fighter pass 2 begins later compared to fighter pass 1 and there will be an extra fighter.
Each fighter is approx a quarter of year. So with 6 fighters and Byleth from FP1 releasing in end of january , the pace is roughly, the same,...because the last fighter won't release necessarily December 31st 2021 ;)

They also work on new features, patchs etc. So Sakurai still needs a break haha and this fighter pass is no break at all.

Last edited:

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Reveal soon, maybe. But I have a hard time believing a character is coming as early as spring when this pass will run through the end of 2021.
This is a good point, but I imagine all the characters will be available a few months before the end of 2021 and this is a generous deadline, because unless Bamco or Nintendo decided to reduce the team for some reason, I can't think of any reason to release the new pass at half the speed as the previous one. Smash is good for Nintendo marketing of course, and it helps to boost Direct views, but releasing the content too slowly can kill the interest of the player base, like what happened with Overwatch.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I want the next showing of Xenoblade to really dig into what's new. We are likely only a few months away from release, so a lot of the game must be done already.

What's the new area going to actually offer? Why does the monado look different at the end of the reveal? Is a challenge mode going to be included?

I don't just want a trailer showing off more of the game, I want to find out what's new. That's more exciting to me.

It's both a testament to the quality of the original game and how limp the 2020 line-up looks at the moment, that this is the most anticipated game of the year for many people.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want the next showing of Xenoblade to really dig into what's new. We are likely only a few months away from release, so a lot of the game must be done already.

What's the new area going to actually offer? Why does the monado look different at the end of the reveal? Is a challenge mode going to be included?

I don't just want a trailer showing off more of the game, I want to find out what's new. That's more exciting to me.

It's both a testament to the quality of the original game and how limp the 2020 line-up looks at the moment, that this is the most anticipated game of the year for many people.
I think they'll going to show some new stuff, but I don't want Bionis Shoulder to be spoiled. Show a little of the new stuff, Gaur Plains, towns, characters, show some QOL stuff.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I want the next showing of Xenoblade to really dig into what's new.
I'm even more interested on what has changed. The game has a lot of content, so more areas and cutscenes are appreciated but not what I really want from the remake. My questions are more like:

-How the battle system has changed or not

-If the dozens of mediocre sidequests will be revamped or even deleted and replaced by something better

-If the new character art that they showed will replace the beautiful UI art from the original

-If the music will be re-recorded or rearranged (if so, a classic option would be appreciated)

-How the story will change to better match what happens in Xc2

Oct 31, 2017
I think that Nintendo are waiting for Sony reveal to throw a spanner in the works. I think Huge announcements to dampen down the Sony news. This president is different from others.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I think they'll going to show some new stuff, but I don't want Bionis Shoulder to be spoiled. Show a little of the new stuff, Gaur Plains, towns, characters, show some QOL stuff.
I'm even more interested on what has changed. The game has a lot of content, so more areas and cutscenes are appreciated but not what I really want from the remake. My questions are more like:

-How the battle system has changed or not

-If the dozens of mediocre sidequests will be revamped or even deleted and replaced by something better

-If the new character art that they showed will replace the beautiful UI art from the original

-If the music will be re-recorded or rearranged (if so, a classic option would be appreciated)

-How the story will change to better match what happens in Xc2

I agree with both of you. And just to clarify my own position, by new I don't necessarily mean Nintendo should reveal all the new goodies.

I just want to know what has changed and what we can expect. Like what is the scope of this remake - is it XC, but in the XC2 engine and with an extra area or is there more?

I would personally like to see the UI streamlined and reworked, while I think you could probably improve the combat and give it more depth... but whether they'd dare touch the latter, I don't know.

I think XC2's approach of having all combat actions tied to a single button presses (generally) was a huge improvement on scrolling through all your attacks in XC and X.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I'm a big fan of SMT and I can't wait either, but just a fair warning, SMT and TMS are quite different, you better check out some SMTIV trailers/reviews to see if it's really your thing. TMS is more similar to Persona tho, maybe worth looking into as well.

mera

Oct 2, 2018
playing my switch
I'd say January of 2020 is definitely stronger than January of 2019 when we literally had nothing but a twitter direct. At least we had a smash presentation and an awesome pokemon direct this month. I can't wait for Feb to roll around.

FGPack

Jan 19, 2020
Italy
I'm a big fan of SMT and I can't wait either, but just a fair warning, SMT and TMS are quite different, you better check out some SMTIV trailers/reviews to see if it's really your thing. TMS is more similar to Persona tho, maybe worth looking into as well.
Yeah i know but as a huge fan of JRPGs i just can't wait for it <3

Status
Not open for further replies.