Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT4| The Sequel to OT3 is Now in Development.

Which comes first?

• Total voters
Feb 5, 2019
Why would somebody else mess up DKC? Don’t you trust Nintendo’s leadership to overlook who’s making it? Look how good Mercury Steam did and they haven’t put out anything of quality like Samus Returns.
Yes and no. I think the other company will do okay with Donkey Kong, but it will pale in comparison to Returns and Tropical Freeze. That might piss fans off.

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
Next Level Games didn’t do Luigi’s Mansion. Nintendo did Luigi’s Mansion then they let NLG do it. It’s not like NLG had big Luigi’s Mansion experience. Nintendo can easily get a western studio to make a new DKC and Tanabe will produce and watch them.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Games helped on DKCR on 3DS, they can handle the formula; but if anything, Retro probably had time to work on another full game between Tropical Freeze and starting on Prime 4 early last year;

wathever is the case, I doubt DKC will skip the Switch
there's also Playtonic, of course
hire the former staff of Playful and make a second team at Retro for DK

Oct 25, 2017
I think the next DKC will just be handled internally. No way is that franchise taking a break when a port is selling 3-4M LTD. A new DK game on Switch is a guarantee imo.

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
Now that Playful is losing people let Retro pick them up. Grow them to a 2 team studio. It’s time. They shouldn’t be a 1 team studio anymore.

Playtonic games is also out there. Nintendo should really try to convince Monster Games to make DK games or try to buy the studio if Monster Games is willing. Nintendo needs more western first party studios in general and for DK to get the games it deserves.

Next Level Games could probably make a DKC game. They’re very talented going from Luigi’s Mansion to Punch-Out to Mario Strikers to Metroid Prime Federation Force. They’re a very versatile studio.

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced that the 2D Mario team is working on a new DKC game as we speak. Metroid and DK can live at the same time!
Nintendo isn’t going to make DKC. They don’t touch that series. They’ll make their own unique 2D DK game again. Probably will have some new bongos to go along with it

What western studio?
Next Level Games is sitting there as a first option. They’ve made games in FOUR different genres for Nintendo. They’re a very talented studio. Playtonic is the second option.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

stealthyfrog

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
I'm okay with optional bongos for people into that thing but I hope the next DK game has traditional controls too. I can't fit some stupid large bongos in my dorm.

yuoke

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo isn’t going to make DKC. They don’t touch that series. They’ll make their own unique 2D DK game again. Probably will have some new bongos to go along with it

Next Level Games is sitting there as a first option. They’ve made games in FOUR different genres for Nintendo. They’re a very talented studio. Playtonic is the second option.
PlayTonic would clearly be the best fit, going by how great the new Yooka-Laylee is.

And it has in the past, as I pointed out in my overlooked example of the excellent Jungle Beat and Zero Mission.
I just can't see nintendo letting an indie team make a full new mainline game for any big first party series, even if they could pull it off.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
What if it's not karts. You know, breaking free from that kart/tennis/golf/ball sports mold.

But something novel... like parkour...?

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't see nintendo letting an indie team make a full new mainline game for any big first party series, even if they could pull it off.
Next Level Games can still be an option as I pointed earlier. They’re very versatile and Nintendo knows DK is important and a good seller. They could ask them if they’d like to do a new DKC game since Retro is busy.

Feb 5, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if Donkey Kong was done for the generation, but still got more cameos. Like I kind of expect Donkey Kong to be in Super Mario 3D World Deluxe as a playable character, used as an easy more that functions like an always available cat suit, and there would be an extra world based on the franchise.

If Donkey Kong Racing somehow becomes a thing though, then we'll be fine.

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Donkey Kong was done for the generation, but still got more cameos. Like I kind of expect Donkey Kong to be in Super Mario 3D World Deluxe as a playable character, used as an easy more that functions like an always available cat suit, and there would be an extra world based on the franchise.

If Donkey Kong Racing somehow becomes a thing though, then we'll be fine.
I’d be surprised if there’s no new DK games this generation. This franchise deserves more than a port and cameos.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
A Good Feel Donkey Kong game doesn't have to be a DKC game, just like how their Yoshi games aren't branded as Yoshi's Island games.

We could get DK's Garbage Grove, to keep up with the crafty theming.

srtrestre

Oct 25, 2017
Today we’re pleased to announce an exciting new addition to our Donkey Kong franchise: Super Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D coloring book.

dkcfan

Jan 21, 2020
Nintendo can do it self the 2D Mario team can do this job. Or maybe is the Mario kart team making an new Diddy Kong racing game with Donkey Kong characters replaced the RARE characters. But i still hope that Retro studio's completed an dkc before prime 4. And for the next year's. Buy Playtonic make them bigger. And make them the dkc studio for years.

Felipe Lima

Editor-in-chief at Switch Brasil
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Brasil
Street Fighter V for Switch confirmed fake.