• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I want a freaking general Nintendo Direct. If I don´t have one before the release of Animal Crossing I am gonna lose it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe some kind of....warriors game, that could take place in hyrule.
aFLECvR.png

it'll be Lana's big breakout role
giphy.gif

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I can survive this week. We have sales numbers. That's interesting enough.

Next week though. Please.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I've been pretty busy w/ school and life lately and have no clue what rumors are swirling--does anyone mind giving me a rundown? I've been out of the loop for a month or two so basically anything will be news to me.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been pretty busy w/ school and life lately and have no clue what rumors are swirling--does anyone mind giving me a rundown? I've been out of the loop for a month or two so basically anything will be news to me.

There's a rumour going around that Nintendo still makes games but we have no credible sources confirming it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully you understand that this is a mod, not official material made by Nintendo, which only purpose is to have an estimate idea of how could it be to play with Zelda.
thankfully you understand that my point was that Nintendo would differentiate Zelda's play style, rather than build on what most modders do and change out character models (because that's really all they can do for the game)

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I understand all the excitement around BotW2, but the "leaks" are all nonsense. The game isn't going to be in the next general direct. It's announced already... the job is done until E3.

It'll be at E3, and the trailer for E3 is not even being scripted yet, let alone final visuals for people to see and leak about. The trailers are made by the development team. They are making the game right now. Not trailers for months in the future!

I dare say E3 is on their minds a lot, but not because of creating assets or preparing announcements... simply because that's their deadline to have at least a year of release locked down.

Roll on the General Direct, but dont expect BotW2.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo just applied to renew several trademarks the most important of them being

Urban Champion

is happeninggggg

Sep 14, 2018
Interesting!

And I was curious by asking that because I'm kinda new to the Fire Emblem franchise (started with Awakening, played Fates/SoV/Heroes/Warriors/Three Houses only), was curious to see what people would like to see as a remake since I would love to discover older games of the series.
Wonderful! I'm glad you found it interesting. I'm going to use your message yet again to talk about Fire Emblem way too much. I love Fire Emblem and I have played all the games so I'm very passionate about it. I'm going to give a little more background information for the games I mentioned. You may already know some or all of this stuff. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence and assume that because you started with Awakening you must not know anything. I just like talking about Fire Emblem.

Ever since Fire Emblem came out in the west, FE4 has always been talked about as this incredible game with huge maps and a ton of unique mechanics, like each unit having their own gold to buy equipment with. (In fact, the maps are so big that you can actually save at the beginning of every single turn and you have four save slots.) In my opinion, it is an incredible game, and I flip flop between whether it or FE5 is my favorite. Both of them I consider masterpieces. However, until a few years ago, we were stuck with an unfinished translation that would crash at the ending. What we had to do was go to some site where you would put in which characters got married and which survived and some other stuff, and then you would get the script of your ending.

As for FE5, it takes place during FE4. It wasn't necessary, the story of FE4 is great without FE5, but the purpose of FE5 was originally to create a smaller and shorter Fire Emblem game, so they wanted to reuse the world and some of the characters. However, the scope got too big and that's how we ended up with a Fire Emblem game on the Super Famicom released years after the N64 came out.

In the olden days, FE5 was considered this super hard Fire Emblem that only the best of the best can beat. It's nowhere near that hard, and there are now difficulties that are much harder than playing FE5, but it might be the hardest normal difficulty of any Fire Emblem game. (Not that FE5 had difficulty options, though there was a code you could put in at the beginning of a new game so you would get double experience, but the player wasn't suppose to know about that.) The difficulty gets exaggerated by people who haven't played and get caught up on a few mechanics that aren't really a problem when you're playing. For example, the game caps all hit rates at 99% and the lowest a hit rate can be is 1%, and staffs can miss and that sounds really scary. I'm not trying to say that people that have trouble with the game are dumb and bad, they're not, I'm just saying that a lot of the information about this game is spread by people that haven't played it.

Anyway, until I believe May or June of last year, FE5 didn't have a good translation available. There was a translation that translated the menu but nothing else, and there was a separate translation for the story. However, the story translation was kind of bad. It worked, meaning it got you through the game, but the menus weren't translated and the script was unpolished and had some memes that were originally put there so the translator could easily tell if the editors actually did their job. We have an excellent translation now, but it took a long time to get here.

So as you can see, since the beginning of the fandom in the west, FE4 and FE5 have been these mythical and unique experiences that fans haven't been able to experience for a variety of reasons, whether it be a lack of a translation or fear of failure due to the games being so different from what fans are used to.

FE6, on the other hand, never quite reached the pedestal that FE4 and somewhat FE5 were placed on. Back when Melee came out, a lot of people did want to play Roy's game because he was this cool guy with a fire sword. However, this desire got mixed in with the desire to play anything Fire Emblem because so many people had never heard of the series until then. When FE7 did get released in the west, there were plenty of people wondering where Roy was and if his game would get translated.

However, outcry for an official FE6 translation and release has died down a lot, and I believe there are a few reasons for that. As I already said, a lot of people have already played FE6 as opposed to FE4 and FE5. There was an acceptable translation available for FE6 years before acceptable ones were available for either FE4 or FE5. (I am counting the FE4 translation that crashed at the end as being acceptable, it still came out years later than the FE6 translation.) Also, and at this point more importantly, FE6 doesn't scare people off from playing it due to mechanics or anything like that. If somebody told me that they wanted to play a basic but fun Fire Emblem game, and they asked for my suggestions, FE6 would be on the list.

Furthermore, FE6 doesn't have any special aura around it like FE4 or FE5. It's a great game, but as more and more people played it, word got around about some of its imperfections. For example, the story isn't anything special and Roy is kind of boring, though some people attribute that to the translation.

In conclusion, an FE4 remake that would likely mean FE5 as the next remake would be far more hyped up than an FE6 remake. In the fandom, FE6 has, for so long now, felt like a game that is there to play whenever we want to. Some people may not even feel like it's the first time FE6 has been released outside of Japan because it has been a part of their lives for so many years. Of course they would probably still buy the remake, it's just not as exciting. On the other hand, for many reasons, even though translations now exist for FE4 and FE5, there are many fans, even hardcore fans, that would feel like remakes are the first opportunity they have gotten to play those games.

Thank you for reading all of this. I had fun typing it.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I always find the results pretty interesting, in all seriousness. We could get some nuggets of information when the investor Q&A transcripts pop up online, too.

It's always interesting to see the results and talk about them for sure, do they update all the games or just ones that sold 1 million in the quarter?
Or maybe something else, I forgot how Nintendo updates stuff.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
thankfully you understand that my point was that Nintendo would differentiate Zelda's play style, rather than build on what most modders do and change out character models (because that's really all they can do for the game)

I personally just assumed that if Zelda were playable in BotW2, it would be because they just swapped positions of whomever became trapped / needed saving. They'd play the exact same - having two completely different characters just seems like a lot of work.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful! I'm glad you found it interesting. I'm going to use your message yet again to talk about Fire Emblem way too much. I love Fire Emblem and I have played all the games so I'm very passionate about it. I'm going to give a little more background information for the games I mentioned. You may already know some or all of this stuff. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence and assume that because you started with Awakening you must not know anything. I just like talking about Fire Emblem.

Ever since Fire Emblem came out in the west, FE4 has always been talked about as this incredible game with huge maps and a ton of unique mechanics, like each unit having their own gold to buy equipment with. (In fact, the maps are so big that you can actually save at the beginning of every single turn and you have four save slots.) In my opinion, it is an incredible game, and I flip flop between whether it or FE5 is my favorite. Both of them I consider masterpieces. However, until a few years ago, we were stuck with an unfinished translation that would crash at the ending. What we had to do was go to some site where you would put in which characters got married and which survived and some other stuff, and then you would get the script of your ending.

As for FE5, it takes place during FE4. It wasn't necessary, the story of FE4 is great without FE5, but the purpose of FE5 was originally to create a smaller and shorter Fire Emblem game, so they wanted to reuse the world and some of the characters. However, the scope got too big and that's how we ended up with a Fire Emblem game on the Super Famicom released years after the N64 came out.

In the olden days, FE5 was considered this super hard Fire Emblem that only the best of the best can beat. It's nowhere near that hard, and there are now difficulties that are much harder than playing FE5, but it might be the hardest normal difficulty of any Fire Emblem game. (Not that FE5 had difficulty options, though there was a code you could put in at the beginning of a new game so you would get double experience, but the player wasn't suppose to know about that.) The difficulty gets exaggerated by people who haven't played and get caught up on a few mechanics that aren't really a problem when you're playing. For example, the game caps all hit rates at 99% and the lowest a hit rate can be is 1%, and staffs can miss and that sounds really scary. I'm not trying to say that people that have trouble with the game are dumb and bad, they're not, I'm just saying that a lot of the information about this game is spread by people that haven't played it.

Anyway, until I believe May or June of last year, FE5 didn't have a good translation available. There was a translation that translated the menu but nothing else, and there was a separate translation for the story. However, the story translation was kind of bad. It worked, meaning it got you through the game, but the menus weren't translated and the script was unpolished and had some memes that were originally put there so the translator could easily tell if the editors actually did their job. We have an excellent translation now, but it took a long time to get here.

So as you can see, since the beginning of the fandom in the west, FE4 and FE5 have been these mythical and unique experiences that fans haven't been able to experience for a variety of reasons, whether it be a lack of a translation or fear of failure due to the games being so different from what fans are used to.

FE6, on the other hand, never quite reached the pedestal that FE4 and somewhat FE5 were placed on. Back when Melee came out, a lot of people did want to play Roy's game because he was this cool guy with a fire sword. However, this desire got mixed in with the desire to play anything Fire Emblem because so many people had never heard of the series until then. When FE7 did get released in the west, there were plenty of people wondering where Roy was and if his game would get translated.

However, outcry for an official FE6 translation and release has died down a lot, and I believe there are a few reasons for that. As I already said, a lot of people have already played FE6 as opposed to FE4 and FE5. There was an acceptable translation available for FE6 years before acceptable ones were available for either FE4 or FE5. (I am counting the FE4 translation that crashed at the end as being acceptable, it still came out years later than the FE6 translation.) Also, and at this point more importantly, FE6 doesn't scare people off from playing it due to mechanics or anything like that. If somebody told me that they wanted to play a basic but fun Fire Emblem game, and they asked for my suggestions, FE6 would be on the list.

Furthermore, FE6 doesn't have any special aura around it like FE4 or FE5. It's a great game, but as more and more people played it, word got around about some of its imperfections. For example, the story isn't anything special and Roy is kind of boring, though some people attribute that to the translation.

In conclusion, an FE4 remake that would likely mean FE5 as the next remake would be far more hyped up than an FE6 remake. In the fandom, FE6 has, for so long now, felt like a game that is there to play whenever we want to. Some people may not even feel like it's the first time FE6 has been released outside of Japan because it has been a part of their lives for so many years. Of course they would probably still buy the remake, it's just not as exciting. On the other hand, for many reasons, even though translations now exist for FE4 and FE5, there are many fans, even hardcore fans, that would feel like remakes are the first opportunity they have gotten to play those games.

Great post! I'm also hoping for FE4 and 5 remakes next. They're the ones I'm most interested in.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally just assumed that if Zelda were playable in BotW2, it would be because they just swapped positions of whomever became trapped / needed saving. They'd play the exact same - having two completely different characters just seems like a lot of work.
I don't think they'd even go with a playable Zelda if that was the case. especially since their characters also has a fighting style that's thematically appropriate for the character.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

That was a great read, you got me interested in FE4.
I hope they'll remake this one next.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
It's always interesting to see the results and talk about them for sure, do they update all the games or just ones that sold 1 million in the quarter?
Or maybe something else, I forgot how Nintendo updates stuff.
They'll update the top 10 list as well as everything that sold over 1 million in the quarter. They might mention other games outside those categories which performed strongly or exceeded expectations, but I expect all Nintendo's major releases for Q3 shipped over 1 million. Obviously in the case of Luigi and Pokemon they're going to be way over that!

Hardware shipments will be interesting. There were signs in 2018 retailers ordered too much stock and there was a surplus available early in 2019 - that hasn't happened this year. In fact, in some markets (like the UK), Switch hardware has been sold out at times. The other thing to remember is that Nintendo's Q2 shipments were huge for the Lite launch (by far Switch's biggest non-holiday quarter) so that may have some effect on the Q3 shipments.

Sales are obviously extremely healthy, but shipments might not show growth in relation to 2018's Q3 because of those extenuating factors.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to play a remake of the Fire Emblem games with the best stories.

I'm not a huge SRPG fan though I find FE fun, so I don't like super hard games. But what makes Three Houses one of my favorites is all the deep characters and lore, as well as the gripping and complex story. I love building my relationships with these characters, teaching them, improving them so they can go wreck shit on the battlefield. I spent hours getting to know them.

it sounds like FE4 and 5 are the ones I would want to scratch that itch

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
They'll update the top 10 list as well as everything that sold over 1 million in the quarter. They might mention other games outside those categories which performed strongly or exceeded expectations, but I expect all Nintendo's major releases for Q3 shipped over 1 million. Obviously in the case of Luigi and Pokemon they're going to be way over that!

Hardware shipments will be interesting. There were signs in 2018 retailers ordered too much stock and there was a surplus available early in 2019 - that hasn't happened this year. In fact, in some markets (like the UK), Switch hardware has been sold out at times. The other thing to remember is that Nintendo's Q2 shipments were huge for the Lite launch (by far Switch's biggest non-holiday quarter) so that may have some effect on the Q3 shipments.

Sales are obviously extremely healthy, but shipments might not show growth in relation to 2018's Q3 because of those extenuating factors.

Ah, I see thanks!
I'm most interested in Mario Maker and Fire Emblem so hopefully, they both get updated.
And yeah that will be interesting for hardware, I guess we'll find out soon.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they'd even go with a playable Zelda if that was the case. especially since their characters also has a fighting style that's thematically appropriate for the character.

What does it mean for a moveset to be thematically appropriate for Zelda?

If they kept Zelda exactly as she was in BotW, her entire moveset would just be "praying really hard." The latest trailer had both of them in pretty similar adventuring gear, and they could make Zelda's swordfighting abilities canon by just saying she trained extensively with Link after taking down calamity ganon.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does it mean for a moveset to be thematically appropriate for Zelda?

If they kept Zelda exactly as she was in BotW, her entire moveset would just be "praying really hard." The latest trailer had both of them in pretty similar adventuring gear, and they could make Zelda's swordfighting abilities canon by just saying she trained extensively with Link after taking down calamity ganon.
well there's a reason I've been touting a create-a-character for BotW more than a playable Zelda. but Zelda's magic came pretty late and was used during the final boss. building off that and making here a caster would be the logical step and would be in-line with many of her more common portrayals

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to play a remake of the Fire Emblem games with the best stories.

I'm not a huge SRPG fan though I find FE fun, so I don't like super hard games. But what makes Three Houses one of my favorites is all the deep characters and lore, as well as the gripping and complex story. I love building my relationships with these characters, teaching them, improving them so they can go wreck shit on the battlefield. I spent hours getting to know them.

it sounds like FE4 and 5 are the ones I would want to scratch that itch

I've watched a friend play through parts of FE4 on their SNES Mini, and I can confirm that the story is pretty interesting. Would love to see a modern remake of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.