• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Are y'all really just writing off MK9 cause MK8D is still selling? It's possible they didn't envision MK8D would be this big of a juggernaut and decided not to delay MK9 to push hardware sales this holiday.
They very deliberately launched it early because they knew it would sell well over the lifetime of the Switch. Mario Kart 9 won't push hardware sales as much as 8 is doing. What I can envision though is that they could have a new revision or accessory that they want to sell with a unique Mario Kart experience along side it. Maybe 2021 is a better time for Mario Kart 9.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
They very deliberately launched it early because they knew it would sell well over the lifetime of the Switch. Mario Kart 9 won't push hardware sales as much as 8 is doing. What I can envision though is that they could have a new revision or accessory that they want to sell with a unique Mario Kart experience along side it. Maybe 2021 is a better time for Mario Kart 9.
A new mario kart won't push hardware as much as an old mario kart? what? If a new entry in Nintendo's biggest franchise somehow doesn't push hardware, then nothing will.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for an RPG as well this year, if that's paper mario in a sense then that's fine as well, but I need something more than just TMS/BD2

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same type of person who would buy a switch for botw 2 that haven't bought it for botw. MK9 would push hardware sales more than almost any other first party game, the series is that big. Kinda funny that people think Nintendo's biggest franchise wouldn't push hardware sales. If that doesn't then nothing will.

You'd cut the sales because MK9 will sell over 20 million units itself, MK8D ain't gonna sell that much more. And if the MK team has been working on 9 for a couple years now, might as well release the game so they can start something new, even if you cut into MK8D sales.

This bolded assumption is where you're wrong and where your whole argument is falling apart. MK8D is selling better the more the years pass. The last quarter was its biggest yet. It still is a system seller and as such that's the very reason why there's no reason to release another one.

There's no indication that a new MK game for consoles is in development. Nor would it make sense.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I already mentioned it once and it might sound weird but Mario Kart is not necessarily a hardware seller, especially not with already 24 million copies of MK8D in the wild. Sure the sales numbers say that every other Switch owner also owns Mario Kart 8 Deluxe but I don't think that most people bought their Switch necessarily for MK8D. It's just the go to game if you pick up a Nintendo console. Kinda like GTA V when you buy a PS4 or a Xbox One at this point.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
A new mario kart won't push hardware as much as an old mario kart? what? If a new entry in Nintendo's biggest franchise somehow doesn't push hardware, then nothing will.
Do you even know how much Mario Kart is selling? Close to half the Switch owners bought Mario Kart and it's gaining in popularity every year so a new one won't have any meaningful impact on hardware sales. It will just continue doing what 8 is already doing.

Luminary

Dec 28, 2019
Here's a go at figuring it out:

A - Pikmin 3 DX
M - Xenoblade
J - Paper Mario, NDCube Party title (no branding - casual focused)
J - Kirby, Zelda WW & TP (separate games but a box set available)
A - Style Savvy, New Camelot RPG (wishful thinking but if there's no Mario title from them this year, it's not impossible given statements from the Takahashis)
S - Metroid Fusion remake
O - Mario 3D World Deluxe, Switch Sports
N - Detective Pikachu, Nintendogs
D - Splatoon Spin-Off

NSMBUD and MK8D show that ports can till pull in big money so 3D World will be competitive at Christmas, Switch Sports and Nintendogs would draw from different casual audiences, a Splatoon spin-off done right could really go big - if they tack into the territory of either COD or Fortnite but in a Splatoon aesthetic it could be a real breakout. There's usually some kind of Pokemon representation and Detective Pikachu has the highest profile of the spin-offs and is already announced. Maybe none of these individually is as sure a bet as Pokemon or Smash but all of them are likely to draw from different audiences and garner several millions of sales in the first months.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
In regards to Smash, have we discounted the idea that we won't see Smash in the direct, but might get a separate presentation in like, March, April or May where Sakurai details the first fighter, but it doesn't necessarily release that day (a la Byleth)? E3 does seem too far away, and this month does seem too soon, but the year started with a Smash reveal in that format so I'm curious if they'll do Smash announcements outside of Directs.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
I've played those games (I mentioned TMS because I never owned a wii u) besides the one that wasn't ported but I don't have a ton of interest for a strictly classic JRPG, at least not at the moment, so i'm hoping for a 3rd game to get announced somewhere

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Most people who need a Mario Kart to get them to buy a Switch have already done so, or will do so when enough games they need to sway them arrive. A new Mario Kart won't have nearly the same effect on hardware as the old one did. And I'm not convinced MK8D had an enormous effect on hardware to begin with.

Mario Kart is an evergreen, it sells continuously when new customers buy consoles. It's less of a system seller in that regard, and more of a complement to a system seller (like BotW).

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
The World Ends With You 2 is rumored.

Also I don't think Square to have just 3 games for Switch for whole year. Expect lots of ports and revivals.
Revivals have me hopeful, sadly in terms of ports there isnt much I havent played and dont have interest in replaying at this point, TWEWY 2 would be a nice megabomb for me

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to Smash, have we discounted the idea that we won't see Smash in the direct, but might get a separate presentation in like, March, April or May where Sakurai details the first fighter, but it doesn't necessarily release that day (a la Byleth)? E3 does seem too far away, and this month does seem too soon, but the year started with a Smash reveal in that format so I'm curious if they'll do Smash announcements outside of Directs.

Just do a Joker styled teaser in the next general direct and then do a presentation sometime in April where they show off the moveset and everything and also the release time.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a go at figuring it out:

A - Pikmin 3 DX
M - Xenoblade
J - Paper Mario, NDCube Party title (no branding - casual focused)
J - Kirby, Zelda WW & TP (separate games but a box set available)
A - Style Savvy, New Camelot RPG (wishful thinking but if there's no Mario title from them this year, it's not impossible given statements from the Takahashis)
S - Metroid Fusion remake
O - Mario 3D World Deluxe, Switch Sports
N - Detective Pikachu, Nintendogs
D - Splatoon Spin-Off

NSMBUD and MK8D show that ports can till pull in big money so 3D World will be competitive at Christmas, Switch Sports and Nintendogs would draw from different casual audiences, a Splatoon spin-off done right could really go big - if they tack into the territory of either COD or Fortnite but in a Splatoon aesthetic it could be a real breakout. There's usually some kind of Pokemon representation and Detective Pikachu has the highest profile of the spin-offs and is already announced. Maybe none of these individually is as sure a bet as Pokemon or Smash but all of them are likely to draw from different audiences and garner several millions of sales in the first months.

It took me WAY too long to realize what the letters before each game meant. Holy crap do I feel dumb.

Why release an OT5 when OT4 is still selling i dont get it

Hahaha that got a good guffaw out of me.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
need some clarification please. Zippo said the direct is this month... two even and Nate said we will be waiting awhile. Who should I even follow at this point o.o

unless nate was joking about two more OTs

Status
Not open for further replies.