• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Can I get a "Saving it all for E3" option? I'm starting to feel like it's only going to be focused directs until then. We had Pokemon, Smash this week, the next one will be Animal Crossing, and then maybe a Xenoblade one after that.

Ah, who am I kidding... I'm just trying to de-hype myself a bit and set my expectations low.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I'm going down with the #TeamJanuary ship. Anyone who changes their vote is a traitor (& probably smarter than I).

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Can I get a "Saving it all for E3" option? I'm starting to feel like it's only going to be focused directs until then. We had Pokemon, Smash this week, the next one will be Animal Crossing, and then maybe a Xenoblade one after that.

Ah, who am I kidding... I'm just trying to de-hype myself a bit and set my expectations low.
This would make sense if Nintendo is trying to do bad marketing

I feel like sometimes, because we haven't had one when we desire one, we forget Nintendo WANTS to do Directs. Like, they have absolutely everything to gain from them and they know the power that Directs have. General Directs are literally Nintendo's primary marketing tool, we will get an early year one, it's just a matter of when.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
This would make sense if Nintendo is trying to do bad marketing

I feel like sometimes, because we haven't had one when we desire one, we forget Nintendo WANTS to do Directs. Like, they have absolutely everything to gain from them and they know the power that Directs have. General Directs are literally Nintendo's primary marketing tool, we will get an early year one, it's just a matter of when.

Nintendo only wants to make us suffer.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
RIP #TeamJanuary

It was a shocking upset to be quite honest but February will prevail

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Yoshi's Island for the first time on NSO

This game is the secret origin of SM64's exploration/collectathon nature

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Playing Yoshi's Island for the first time on NSO

This game is the secret origin of SM64's exploration/collectathon nature

The Christmas that game came out I'd asked for DKC2 but received Yoshi's Island instead. My initial disappointment was replaced with absolute love for that gem of a game.

I'm still sad that Nintendo moved away from that initial format for all subsequent Yoshi games.

The bosses are something else! Things get wacky in the late game.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The Christmas that game came out I'd asked for DKC2 but received Yoshi's Island instead. My initial disappointment was replaced with absolute love for that gem of a game.

I'm still sad that Nintendo moved away from that initial format for all subsequent Yoshi games.

The bosses are something else! Things get wacky in the late game.
oops accidentally quoted myself lol. yeah honesty I'd love an EPD developed sequel to it, may be just what 2D Mario needs

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
February direct essentially means 1 general driect before E3.

which isn't bad or anything.
Just noting it now

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry Team January, but I've lost faith. I feel like if I cling to hope I'll get trolled by another game specific Direct for like Animal Crossing or something.

Directing all my hype energy into the quarterly sales results at the end of the month.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I have to admit that I am pretty confused with the strategy of Nintendo when it comes to selling/communicating their videogames from the upcoming months. Are we going to see more of those tweets and short bursts of info?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Let's level set the history of the General Directs...

2012: February Direct
2013: January Direct
2014: February Direct
2015: January Direct
2016: March Direct
2017: None (Global Switch Presentation)
2018: January Direct Mini
2019: February Direct

There has never been a precedent for "The January Direct".

Last general Direct prior to the first one of the new year

2011: December Direct
2012: December Direct
2013: December Direct
2014: November Direct
2015: November Direct
2016: September Direct
2017: September Direct
2018: September Direct
2019: September Direct

Believing in a January Direct makes sense based on previous years (Although I believe my vote was for #TeamFebruary)

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They also announce "A tier" series in Directs, you know? :P Like Zelda and Mario Maker last year. And to call Xenoblade "A tier" is a bit much, when Luigis Mansion, Fire Emblem and many others are far bigger.

But I'm also excited about Smash! Love those presentations, even if I rarely play the game alone.
My bad I shouldn't have put tier on that. I ment to say I don't really play anything on switch anymore beside smash ( play it online every other night, it's my chill game ). ....I haven't bought any games for switch in 2019..... will get the next 3d zelda, 3D Mario and what ever the next new xenoblade will be though

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if it was January then we could've gotten an April one too.

oh well, it'll probably be packed then
cause tbh,
not much significant would happen between february and potentially April-May that wouldn't just be at E3.

so if a April direct happened and didn't have much content, people would get upset or whatever lol.

What I am focused on is the September directs. They generally dictate how the H1 of the next year looks. And it appears to be the case again.

Jan 2, 2018
My bad I shouldn't have put tier on that. I ment to say I don't really play anything on switch anymore beside smash ( play it online every other night, it's my chill game ). ....I haven't bought any games for switch in 2019..... will get the next 3d zelda, 3D Mario and what ever the next new xenoblade will be though

You do you! I was just curious, because I'm personally overwhelmed by all the games I want to play.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
No Direct in January. Nintendo letting the month sail out, leaning on TMS, filling the media gaps with game specific Directs (Pokemon, Smash, etc). All of this content would normally be revealed or teased in standard Directs. January is a write off as far as I'm concerned.

Hedging my bets on early or mid February. Gut says Nintendo just don't have a lot for Q1/Q2, probably relying a lot on Animal Crossing pulling big numbers, and I'm sure the long rumoured Wii U ports. Probably another original title or two for Q2.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
cause tbh,
not much significant would happen between february and potentially April-May that wouldn't just be at E3.

so if a April direct happened and didn't have much content, people would get upset or whatever lol.

What I am focused on is the September directs. They generally dictate how the H1 of the next year looks. And it appears to be the case again.
Possible for this year are BotW2, 2D Metroid, Bayonetta 3, Paper Mario, Splatoon Spin-off, TWEWY2. Pick any of those pairs to bookend a January direct and another pair to bookend an April one. Throw ports, third party and DLC in the middle and you'd have people saying both were amazing lol. Then elaborate more at E3.

now my expectation for February is 3 or more of those 😳

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Nintendo is waiting for next week for the Direct just so they don't have to promote TMS.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
No Direct in January. Nintendo letting the month sail out, leaning on TMS, filling the media gaps with game specific Directs (Pokemon, Smash, etc). All of this content would normally be revealed or teased in standard Directs. January is a write off as far as I'm concerned.

Hedging my bets on early or mid February. Gut says Nintendo just don't have a lot for Q1/Q2, probably relying a lot on Animal Crossing pulling big numbers, and I'm sure the long rumoured Wii U ports. Probably another original title or two for Q2.

Have they ever announced something like a Wii U port and released it within 30 days? Given how weak the current Q1 looks, I'd have expected to see something like Pikmin 3 or 3D World to hit very soon.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Nintendo prefers February so they can just push all of the Q1/Q2 games into one big show
Which is cool.
I think the real issue is just H1's in general. Hence the Fall Directs.

If more games were announced for H1, we wouldn't be this expectant for the first 2020 direct. Cause we'd be looking forward to a February, March, and April notable title.

Possible for this year are BotW2, 2D Metroid, Bayonetta 3, Paper Mario, Splatoon Spin-off, TWEWY2. Pick any of those pairs to bookend a January direct and another pair to bookend an April one. Throw ports, third party and DLC in the middle and you'd have people saying both were amazing lol. Then elaborate more at E3.

now my expectation for February is 3 or more of those 😳

I'm feeling pretty dang good about PM being announced in February for October release.

I also thought there would be a January direct...

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They can still have a regular direct to announce Pikmin 3 to release late April. That'll give it the usual 3 months reveal to release Nintendo has done with all Wii U ports (excluding Bayonetta for obvious reasons)

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'd guess we get between 3 to 5 Nintendo published titles in Q2. Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 DX and Xenoblade Chronicles DE are my current likely guesses, based on the first half of this year relying on remakes/ports. Not sure what brand new titles Nintendo would announce for that quarter - a lot of the rumoured stuff sounds like second half material to me.

Sep 29, 2019
I am #TeamFebruary at this point, even though i'm still a little bit weirded out about the whole week-after-week direct thing. I don't think we've ever gotten a Pokémon Direct and then a Smash one this early in the year, much less week after week. I don't know what Nintendo is up to. Who knows they surprise us with a Direct in the 30th? ;) At least, it will eventually come!

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
They can still have a regular direct to announce Pikmin 3 to release late April. That'll give it the usual 3 months reveal to release Nintendo has done with all Wii U ports (excluding Bayonetta for obvious reasons)
I'm on the Pikmin 3 April, XenoblaDE May and 3D World June train. All would be revealed in the next general direct

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
nope, Wii U ports generally get 3+ month heads ups

I just don't understand why they'd leave this timeframe so empty then. TMS is a very niche game - even as a fan of P5 and 3H, I'm not sure I want it. Pikmin 3 in Feb would have been perfect. I bought it on Wii U but didn't play more than maybe 2 missions - I very much want to give it another go.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I am #TeamFebruary at this point, even though i'm still a little bit weirded out about the whole week-after-week direct thing. I don't think we've ever gotten a Pokémon Direct and then a Smash one this early in the year, much less week after week. I don't know what Nintendo is up to. Who knows they surprise us with a Direct in the 30th? ;) At least, it will eventually come!
They have far more content to talk about on Switch than they did 3DS and Wii U. I feel people really still miss how massive the Switch software library is and how quickly it's expanding. Yes, there's plenty of eShop crap, but there's also a lot of good stuff between retro ports, remakes, recent ports, new multiplatform stuff, old indies, new indies, third party exclusives and first party. Throw in expansions for Nintendo to talk about, and it's no surprise they're breaking stuff up, especially when franchises like Pokemon and Smash can stand on their own.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Team February be like

source.gif

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd guess we get between 3 to 5 Nintendo published titles in Q2. Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 DX and Xenoblade Chronicles DE are my current likely guesses, based on the first half of this year relying on remakes/ports. Not sure what brand new titles Nintendo would announce for that quarter - a lot of the rumoured stuff sounds like second half material to me.
Let's say we get a late January/Early Feb direct and Nintendo waits until E3 to have another direct. Realistically, how many Nintendo published game announcements are we expecting? Because I'm basically expecting them to fill out to September.

-Super Mario 3D World
-Pikmin 3
-eShop game
-New titles for July, August, September possibly

Then how many Nintendo published games could they talk about that we know of?

-Bayonetta 3
-XenoblaDE
-Animal Crossing
-BotW 2

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think they will fill out to September also in trailer form. Then maybe do a teaser for a holiday game, like they did with Smash in 2018's spring direct.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Nintendo Direct Predictions: UGH, WHY ISN'T THIS SHIT HAPPENING RIGHT NOW?! Edition

February 13th, 2020 air date.
  1. Starts out with the Splatoon spin-off. It's a single-player-focused Splatoon Warriors title. Short explanation follows the trailer, given a vague summer release date.
  2. Pikmin 3 port, includes new single player content that preceeds the base game. Releasing in April
  3. Indies shown, including Outer Wilds, Cuphead DLC, Hollow Knight Silksong, Parkitect, etc
  4. Super Mario 3D World port shown, includes remixed levels and a new character. Releases in June
  5. Third party games shown, including Bioshock Collection, Outer Worlds, Metro Redux, Gods and Monsters, Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated, and a surprise port of a GTA or Bethesda game.
  6. Hey, look! More Animal Crossing stuff!
  7. Oh yeah, and XenoblaDE is given a May release date
  8. Bayonetta 3 re-revealed in a story trailer, given a vague fall release date.
  9. Second to last announcement is Metroid V, given a vague fall release date
  10. Last announcement is by the Mario Kart team, and it's Mario Kart 9. Everyone is excited but confused. Double Dash mechanic returns. Tracks based on Odyssey, BOTW, Animal Crossing, and Luigi's Mansion. Some courses have exclusive power-ups or mechanics. Given 2020 release window
  11. BOTW 2 is not shown, and everyone freaks out because MK9 was there and now BOTW2 won't be a 2020 title apparently. Smash is absent as well.

Reposting for traction. Other than MK9 (which is more of a guess on my part, do to not knowing what the MK team is working on) and the release date guesses, this is the kind of Direct that most people should expect.

Plum

May 31, 2018
When #TeamAppetizer/January people start changing their vote to predict a February Direct:

0XdF28m.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.