• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, changing from January to February is not a good look. I'm #TeamJanuary all the way, even after January ends.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This year looking to be a rough first half, probably worse than last year for me. I really hope the Direct reveals something good that releases before June, even if it is a Wii U port. Waiting another 5+ months for a Nintendo game is going to be hell.(I dont care for Animal Crossing).

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
If they're going to take their time with news beyond what's announced so far, I'm hoping that whenever it comes the next direct bears significantly more goodness than just milking Wii U (and Wii) for ports of games I've already bought from them in recent years. Something better than their milking of Pokémon and Smash Bros too. It's starting to seem absurd to me that great swathes of this thread are primarily excited about rumoured announcements of up-ports. If it's port heavy, even if those ports include Bioshock and Batman (or other shit I'm probably sucker enough to buy), I still hope there's something new. I can always count on indie devs but I'd like to see some proper effort from Nintendo and bigger studios. Nintendo's teams are big enough, and they are only targeting one system - we should have more to look forward to than ports and DLC. Something none-JRPG would be nice as well.

superbright

Feb 11, 2019
United Kingdom
This smash presentation could give us an indication if there is to be a direct next month. If the character isn't given a date then I doubt they'd shadow drop them like they did with Piranha Plant and I doubt they'd do two videos about 1 character so the only time that would make sense would be after a direct.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This year looking to be a rough first half, probably worse than last year for me. I really hope the Direct reveals something good that releases before June, even if it is a Wii U port. Waiting another 5+ months for a Nintendo game is going to be hell.(I dont care for Animal Crossing).

First party wise, I feel like we havent improved much since the wii u days, in terms of updates and announcements. Hopefully none of these droughts are as long as those. at least the switch has better indie and third party support to help it between nintendo releases

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Luckily for me I have plenty (probably too much) on the back log. So an "empty" (ignoring the massive 3rd parties like Doom) first half is fine for me.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First party wise, I feel like we havent improved much since the wii u days, in terms of updates and announcements. Hopefully none of these droughts are as long as those. at least the switch has better indie and third party support to help it between nintendo releases
You're right and it makes no sense with them only targeting one system, like stated above. If they aren't going to put new first party titles in the first half of the year, at least hire some port studios to bring classic Wii/Wii U titles to fill the void.

Luckily for me I have plenty (probably too much) on the back log. So an "empty" (ignoring the massive 3rd parties like Doom) first half is fine for me.
Doom Eternal is delayed until god knows when. Unless you mean Doom 64, which is cool I guess, but a N64 game isn't gonna cut it.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
As Zippo stated, the time insiders / journalists are informed on when the Direct happens greatily varies: they may be informed two weeks before, or just the day before. So, take people with insider knowledge chaning the vote as potentially just what they think it's the situation for now (like anyone else's vote), not as a definitive statement.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're right and it makes no sense with them only targeting one system, like stated above. If they aren't going to put new first party titles in the first half of the year, at least hire some port studios to bring class Wii/Wii U titles to fill the void.

I have to imagine there are some smart people over at nintendo, I bet they are hoping that the switch gets to a point where its not very reliant on first party games, and more so on indies and third party ports, so that Nintendo doesn't need to pump as much money into first party development? Also important to remember that without the 3ds, all first party games needing to hd console games has not made things cheaper. just a crack pot theory that im sure holds no water.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine there are some smart people over at nintendo, I bet they are hoping that the switch gets to a point where its not very reliant on first party games, and more so on indies and third party ports, so that Nintendo doesn't need to pump as much money into first party development? Also important to remember that without the 3ds, all first party games needing to hd console games has not made things cheaper. just a crack pot theory that im sure holds no water.
Nah. I don't know what y'all are smoking. First party is Nintendo's bread and butter. They know that's what brings the hype and they killed it by the end of last year. With a big release or more pretty much every month

This isn't a "they don't have games" thing. They're just oddly choosing to consolidate all of them in the second half of the year.

Plum

May 31, 2018

It definitely feels that way, and it's primarily because so much of Nintendo's output this gen relies on the fact that the vast majority of people who own Switches won't have played on a Wii U. If you did own a Wii U then the Switch's first-party output is filled with either:

1) Direct ports/remakes that will likely block a new game in said series from coming out this generation (MK8D, Captain Toad, Link's Awakening, Donkey Kong)
2) Direct ports/remakes that are there to placate people before a far-flung sequel gets released (Bayonetta, *maybe* Hyrule Warriors)
3) Evolutionary sequels that add quite a bit but aren't original in the way their Wii U predecessors were (SMM2, Splatoon 2, Yoshi's Crafted World)
4) Middling instalments in franchises that, whilst improvements over their predecessors, aren't really what people *really* wanted (Super Mario Party, Mario Tennis Aces)

In terms of truly original and exciting stuff the Switch is, honestly, kinda barren for us Wii U owners. Like if you seriously take a look at the Nintendo-published games from this generation then a fair majority are what I described above, and frankly it really does feel like Nintendo simply won't be able to live up to the high heights of 2017. Maybe they will, who knows, but if 2020 is just another year that relies on 2 big titles alongside a whole bunch of smaller ports/remakes then it definitely won't be great. 2019 was an improvement, especially its latter half, but I want to feel like it's 2017 again and I'm just not getting that feeling anymore :(

Tis the curse of the Wii U owner.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ouch, the traffic in this thread nearly died after the Smash Direct was announced. Way less active than a day ago...

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I don't know what y'all are smoking. First party is Nintendo's bread and butter. They know that's what brings the hype and they killed it by the end of last year. With a big release or more pretty much every month

This isn't a "they don't have games" thing. They're just oddly choosing to consolidate all of them in the second half of the year.
This. It's just Nintendo putting all the new and bigger stuff in the second half. Tbf Animal Crossing is huge and Nintendo just can't satisfy all of the fanbase. The fanbase is too varied. Like idc for Animal Crossing, but I recognize it's a huge game and makes this half 1 the best since 2017.

The Wii U's failure forced Nintendo to port those games too. Whenever a Switch 2 happens this will not be an issue. Nintendo won't be porting Switch games too it since the Switch is highly successful.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
t1579701600z4.png

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Ain't giving up on January yet.
:o
This. It's just Nintendo putting all the new and bigger stuff in the second half. Tbf Animal Crossing is huge and Nintendo just can't satisfy all of the fanbase. The fanbase is too varied. Like idc for Animal Crossing, but I recognize it's a huge game and makes this half 1 the best since 2017.

The Wii U's failure forced Nintendo to port those games too. Whenever a Switch 2 happens this will not be an issue. Nintendo won't be porting Switch games too it since the Switch is highly successful.
and switch 2 will probably be BC

Status
Not open for further replies.