• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm I wonder if Mua3 F4 Shadow of Doom dlc trailer will be randomly dropped next month or in the next direct(data mines point to story chapters)

Apr 21, 2018
Someone might need to correct me on this, but they usually reveal their big holiday game relatively early into the year.

In 2017, they revealed Mario and Xenoblade in January, in 2018, they revealed Smash in March, and last year, Pokemon was revealed in February.

Yup. SMM2 and Astral Chain last year as well were announced with very short turn-arounds. In 2018 Mario Tennis was released only a few months later.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have a direct until e3. They may again have a weak Q1 (I'm not into Pokemon or Animal Crossing), but they would need to announce something for Q2 and perhaps Q3 before e3. My guess would be Pikmin 3 Deluxe and Xenoblade Remake would be the absolute bare minimum to be announced and released before end of June.

Oct 26, 2017
Next week is the last they can do it in Jan since to my recollection they have NEVER done a Direct in the same week as a financial earnings report, ever.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
  • Mario Odyssey revealed January 12
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 revealed January 12
  • Smash Ultimate revealed March 8
  • Pokémon revealed February 27

Thanks! I figured that to be the case. Wouldn't expect that to be any different this year.

It'll be Zelda or Mario related. I'd bet on that.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Would Nintendo announce something like Pikmin 3 DX without a Direct and through a tweet instead? It supposedly has new content, but it's still just a Wii U port. And to play even more of devil's advocate here, a 3D World port could be a good holiday title too. Mario games do quite well in the Christmas season.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
I just want a Zelda trailer... I can take a Zelda Direct, I dont care about anything else.... pls Nintendo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Think about it this way. Even if there is no Direct this month, it's going to be over in about 2 weeks anyway. January is blazing by.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Nintendo shuffling out major DLC announcements this month for Pokemon, Smash, and Fire Emblem has me thinking there won't be a general Direct for a while.

I think an Animal Crossing Direct sometime next month is much more likely. They really need to kick things off for that game sometime soon. I don't think it has been delayed, just that Nintendo is sitting too long on it just like they did for Super Mario Maker 2.
Really depends on how much 3rd party stuff there still is to be shown. If it's a lot, a general direct + AC as a focus makes more sense.

Or a direct mini + an AC direct just like the Poke + Smash combo.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Would Nintendo announce something like Pikmin 3 DX without a Direct and through a tweet instead? It supposedly has new content, but it's still just a Wii U port. And to play even more of devil's advocate here, a 3D World port could be a good holiday title too. Mario games do quite well in the Christmas season.

If Nintendo started announcing games of that magnitude in Twitter, this thread would really lose it lol

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I'm eating so damn good this 1Q

- TMS #FE Encore
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses Wave 4
- Trails of Cold Steel III
- Mega Man Z/ZX Collection
- Trials of Mana
That's nearly enough for the first half of the year for me. Exchange Mega Man with Naruto UNS4 and yeah, nice line-up so far already.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo shuffling out major DLC announcements this month for Pokemon, Smash, and Fire Emblem has me thinking there won't be a general Direct for a while.

I think an Animal Crossing Direct sometime next month is much more likely. They really need to kick things off for that game sometime soon. I don't think it has been delayed, just that Nintendo is sitting too long on it just like they did for Super Mario Maker 2.
Pokémon and Smash would've been their own thing anyway, and FE DLC has never been in a direct anyway, back to the 3DS

Also if you haven't noticed Nintendo hasn't been putting lots of DLC in general in their directs. That's usually saved for twitter

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I figured that to be the case. Wouldn't expect that to be any different this year.

It'll be Zelda or Mario related. I'd bet on that.
One thing that's gonna give me pretty big whiplash is seeing BotW2 in a regular ass direct.

BotW wasn't in a single direct outside of that quick snippet at the end of TPHD reveal. Reveal at E3, shown off at 2014 game awards, full reveal at E3'16, shown again at Game Awards 16, then final trailer at Switch presentation 2017, then DLC trailer at E3 17, then DLC trailer and shadowdrop at TGA 17. It almost seemed like they thought Zelda was TOO big an event for a regular direct or something

Do we think they wait til E3 for BotW2? So far it has only been shown at an E3 as well

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
One thing that's gonna give me pretty big whiplash is seeing BotW2 in a regular ass direct.

BotW wasn't in a single direct outside of that quick snippet at the end of TPHD reveal. Reveal at E3, shown off at 2014 game awards, full reveal at E3'16, shown again at Game Awards 16, then final trailer at Switch presentation 2017, then DLC trailer at E3 17, then DLC trailer and shadowdrop at TGA 17. It almost seemed like they thought Zelda was TOO big an event for a regular direct or something

Do we think they wait til E3 for BotW2?
I think at most we'll get a teaser in the Direct with an E3 blowout

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Is it true that Cyberpunk got delayed because they knew the game would bomb against the might of Animal Crossing?

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

Do we think they wait til E3 for BotW2? So far it has only been shown at an E3 as well

Depends on if it's coming this year or not. If it is, then the next General Direct is a good bet. If not, then no news untll E3.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018

Wait till E3. No way they'll show it in January direct. Remember AC was announced in a September Direct and wasn't shown again till E3

Jan 27, 2019
I apologise if this cannot be asked Zippo, but with regards to the Halo Port, did any of your sources mention whether its from the MCC collection or spinoffs such as Halo Wars 1-2? (or the mobile games I would rather not mention)

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow Team January almost dead even with Team February now. I still believe though lol

#goingdownwiththeship
Respect. Team January ain't dead yet, but they be like

tenor.gif

mera

Oct 2, 2018
playing my switch
The January dream is well and truly dead, isn't it? I'm not upset because I'm glad we got both a Pokemon and smash direct this month, last Jan was way more painful. I just hope this month is over soon. The Feb dream is on 😬

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I love that with news not instantly available its been a constant "Why won't Nintendo show us anything? I'm getting so nervous". Well not love, but the general panic is fascinating.

The same can be said about things on the Sony side with people just desperately wanting the PS5 reveal and feel that Sony lacks communication.

Its the 17th of January, chill out people.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if botw 2 doesn't make it to the 2020 holidays, what do you think nintendo's big title for that window will be? i think it's safe to say a new pokemon is not happening this year.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

Not only that every Wii U port was announced through Directs, but I dont think that single Nintendo Switch game was announced outside Directs or E3.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if botw doesn't make it to the 2020 holidays, what do you think nintendo's big title for that window will be? i think it's safe to say a new pokemon is not happening this year.

There aren't many series that have cracked 10m which would make for good holiday releases. So you know what that means...

Duck Hunt 2 for Nintendo Switch babyyyyy

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Makes total Sense Nintendo doesn't make vidya games anymore tbh. Theme park bidniz is where it's at

MyGamingDiary

Banned
Jul 30, 2019
if botw 2 doesn't make it to the 2020 holidays, what do you think nintendo's big title for that window will be? i think it's safe to say a new pokemon is not happening this year.

And if BotW 2 comes out 2020, what will be their 2021 Holiday game? Either Odyssey 2 or Mario Kart 9, I think. There aren't too many good selling francises left from Nintendo that hasn't got a sequel on Switch already tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.