• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And if BotW 2 comes out 2020, what will be their 2021 Holiday game? Either Odyssey 2 or Mario Kart 9, I think. There aren't too many good selling francises left from Nintendo that hasn't got a sequel on Switch already tbh
i'm thinking
2020 - botw 2
2021 - odyssey 2 and pokemon sinnoh remakes
2022 - pokemon gen 9

that's 4 more guaranteed 10 million sellers, and then 2023 is the switch 2 year.

Watch dem GotY awards roll in
"a revelation"
"the duck genocide made me feel emotional in ways i didn't expect"
"nintendo has finally grown up and it's a sight to behold"
etc

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm starting to think it's february/E3/september for this year, just like 2019.
an animal crossing direct will most likely happen in february too.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This year started badly for Ninty. I fully expect BotW 2 not to make 2020 now. Pokémon DLC 2 is their big Holiday "title".

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This year started badly for Ninty.
come on, how did it start badly?
they've already released two games (brain age and TMS), just announced/revealed dlc for smash, pokemon and fire emblem, had a really good indie direct like a month ago. just cuz there hasn't been a direct yet doesn't mean they started the year badly.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
i'm starting to think it's february/E3/september for this year, just like 2019.
an animal crossing direct will most likely happen in february too.

I just noticed that if they have an October Direct instead of the September one it will always be exactly 4 months between each Direct (February -> June -> October). I think I would prefer October because then we wouldn't have to wait 5 months till the next Direct. -_-

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
This year started badly for Ninty. I fully expect BotW 2 not to make 2020 now. Pokémon DLC 2 is their big Holiday "title".

I realize we have a wrong perception. For Nintendo the year ends in March.
That could explain why they still focus on existing games. Still on Team January in my heart, but my head tells me they will start pushing for 2020 when we're closer to Animal Crossings.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just noticed that if they have an October Direct instead of the September one it will always be exactly 4 months between each Direct (February -> June -> October). I think I would prefer October because then we wouldn't have to wait 5 months till the next Direct. -_-
unlike the first direct of the year which always moves around, the last direct has been in september for a long time. i don't think that'll change.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They wouldn't do that lol.

Also, the first half of the year is typically weaker for Nintendo and even then they will fill in the other months.
come on, how did it start badly?
they've already released two games (brain age and TMS), just announced/revealed dlc for smash, pokemon and fire emblem, had a really good indie direct like a month ago. just cuz there hasn't been a direct yet doesn't mean they started the year badly.
Are you missing an /s there?
I realize we have a wrong perception. For Nintendo the year ends in March.
That could explain why they still focus on existing games. Still on Team January in my heart, but my head tells me they will start pushing for 2020 when we're closer to Animal Crossings.
It's posts like these that always give a good laugh, followed by third party embarrasment
Sorry for the overreaction. I'm just disappointed that we got these Pokemon/Smash/FE news instead of the General Direct with more news on upcoming games. Like, why didn't they just do a giant General Direct with all of this in there and then some?

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
And if BotW 2 comes out 2020, what will be their 2021 Holiday game? Either Odyssey 2 or Mario Kart 9, I think. There aren't too many good selling francises left from Nintendo that hasn't got a sequel on Switch already tbh

I think BotW2 will either be released this christmas or in spring 2021. So in every case it will NOT be Nintendos holiday game for 2021.

I think that Pokemon Remakes and other stuff (Monolith Game, Pikmin 4 etc.) will be their christmas lineup.

I would expect a release schedule comparable to this for 2021:

Q1: No more Heroes 3, SMT 5 (West), 2D Mario, Ringfit Adventure Plus
Q2: BotW 2, Detektiv Pikachu 2, eShop-Game
Q3: New Camelot Game, new Kirby, WiiU-Port, Tomodatchi
Q4: Pokemon Remakes, Pikmin 4, Monolith Game, 3rd-Party-Game

I think this would be a very strong lineup.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
There won't be a Pokémon remake this year or have you missed the expansion pass for Sword/Shield? DLC Pack 2 releases in Fall this year so where exactly do you want to fit in another game?
Not to mention they would have to reveal the remake in the next few months since they have to market it and I don't see them marketing DLC and a remake.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Sorry for the overreaction. I'm just disappointed that we got these Pokemon/Smash/FE news instead of the General Direct with more news on upcoming games. Like, why didn't they just do a giant General Direct with all of this in there and then some?
This is one thread where the overreaction is a norm.

I quoted your reaction myself even though I have to admit that Smash was a huge downer for me. Luckily I did enjoy the Pokémon direct a lot.

I ain't a Smash fan and the knowledge of two more years of Directs with it is eating my soul. I appreciate Sakurai and his passion immensely, but I just can't bear the actual hype and fans of the game. It's just... meh.

Im hoping for a lot of IP's and games as soon as possible because right now I am again playing Stardew Valley...

Oct 25, 2017
There won't be a Pokémon remake this year or have you missed the expansion pass for Sword/Shield? DLC Pack 2 releases in Fall this year so where exactly do you want to fit in another game?
Not to mention they would have to reveal the remake in the next few months since they have to market it and I don't see them marketing DLC and a remake.
The poster said 2021

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
I think BotW2 will either be released this christmas or in spring 2021. So in every case it will NOT be Nintendos holiday game for 2021.

I think that Pokemon Remakes and other stuff (Monolith Game, Pikmin 4 etc.) will be their christmas lineup.

I would expect a release schedule comparable to this for 2021:

Q1: No more Heroes 3, SMT 5 (West), 2D Mario, Ringfit Adventure Plus
Q2: BotW 2, Detektiv Pikachu 2, eShop-Game
Q3: New Camelot Game, new Kirby, WiiU-Port, Tomodatchi
Q4: Pokemon Remakes, Pikmin 4, Monolith Game, 3rd-Party-Game

I think this would be a very strong lineup.
Damn No More Heroes 3 got delayed?
/s

SerKwak

Apr 6, 2018
I Just have to say that I love the third party support on Switch, which is in my opinion unprecedented on a Nintendo platform. I also own a PS4 but I have barely the time to play on it and all these third party titles also receiving a Switch port means I will be able to play and finish them! Still have DQ11 and Deadly Premonition in my backlog and looking forward to Metro Redux, NMH3, Outer Worlds and hopefully Bioshock. There are some striking omissions I guess but in general the support is great! (now where is my Ace Attorney 7..... ._.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

You are not only one, this threads are always rollercoaster of emotions,
but people just need to to have patient, we will definitely have Direct in next couple of weeks in any case.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Again, MK8 still tops the charts without marketing.
We won't get a MK9 this gen.
Game development doesn't happen overnight. Whatever the Mario Kart team is developing was decided end of 2016 or early 2017 at the latest; that is, before MK8D released on Switch, and before anyone could have guessed that it would be the hit that it became on Switch. Hell, before the Switch was a success.
After ARMS, I wouldn't be surprised if that team went the safe road (hinhinhin) and started developing the next Mario Kart.
They may sit on the game for a few months to a year to squeeze more juice out of MK8D by giving it another holiday, but dismissing the possibility of an MK9 on the premise that MK8D sells like a new game is in my opinion flawed.

Also, BOTW-2 ain't missing 2020 unless Nintendo really shits the bed, which I doubt. I'm still confident.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I get It with Smash and Fire Emblem, but Pokémon DLC announcement would have never happened in a General Direct.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon generally does their own thing (it's very rare for them to make a major announcement in a regular Nintendo Direct), and Byleth is hitting soon enough that they wanted to get the in-depth video out now. That's all there is to it.

Just be patient, and enjoy the games that are already out. The Direct will come, and as soon as it passes you'll forget how long the wait was.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
As an Animal Crossing fan it's been entertaining watching people with no connection to AC doomposting about how Nintendo's Q1 is weak. I'm sure some of it has to be an inside joke.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Game development doesn't happen overnight. Whatever the Mario Kart team is developing was decided end of 2016 or early 2017 at the latest; that is, before MK8D released on Switch, and before anyone could have guessed that it would be the hit that it became on Switch. Hell, before the Switch was a success.
After ARMS, I wouldn't be surprised if that team went the safe road (hinhinhin) and started developing the next Mario Kart.
They may sit on the game for a few months to a year to squeeze more juice out of MK8D by giving it another holiday, but dismissing the possibility of an MK9 on the premise that MK8D sells like a new game is in my opinion flawed.

Also, BOTW-2 ain't missing 2020 unless Nintendo really shits the bed, which I doubt. I'm still confident.

the next Mario Kart may have been the mobile release but I'm not sure if they had another project running along side with it. The mobile release got a huge amount of resources from Nintendo internally and they probably have a small team working on the updates for the foreseeable future too. Not sure if all their resources were taken though but my guess is that Mario Kart 9 has not been in full production untill after the mobile release.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
the next Mario Kart may have been the mobile release but I'm not sure if they had another project running along side with it. The mobile release got a huge amount of resources from Nintendo internally and they probably have a small team working on the updates for the foreseeable future too. Not sure if all their resources were taken though but my guess is that Mario Kart 9 has not been in full production untill after the mobile release.

I doubt this. Mario Kart Tours is pretty done for a mobile game - but it is still a mobile game. No way that such a project will take the entire ressources of a whole EPD Group.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
So you're saying one should go for Animal Crossing for the first time now then?

If you like lite life sims with a whimsical Nintendo charm then sure!

I just wouldn't call any part of the year with Animal Crossing "weak" for Nintendo. Both handheld entries of AC have sold ~12 million each. Objectively not a weak release.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As an Animal Crossing fan it's been entertaining watching people with no connection to AC doomposting about how Nintendo's Q1 is weak. I'm sure some of it has to be an inside joke.
I'm a huge Animal Crossing fan and I'm fine with everything up until April. But, I want to know what they will have for May - July because right now all we know of as published Nintendo games that could reasonably land there are Xenoblade and Bravely Default II. Will those get pushed or will one be May and the other July?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah it's silly to claim Nintendos Q1 is weak as Animal Crossing is a huge franchise. They're gonna ship a huge amount of games and hardware during this time.

However, for someone who is not in to Either Animal Crossing or Pokemon.. it's definately been a weak period from November until April at least. That's just from a personal standpoint, and as the fans for these franchises often overlap.. there's quite a big chunk of Nintendo fans that are left dry for quite some time.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
If you like lite life sims with a whimsical Nintendo charm then sure!

I just wouldn't call any part of the year with Animal Crossing "weak" for Nintendo. Both handheld entries of AC have sold ~12 million each. Objectively not a weak release.
Yeah definitely it's one of the biggest ongoing gaming franchises there is.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Boys and girls, please dont sleep on Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair. We are talking DK Country Return levels of quality here!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way BotW 2 isn't this years holiday game. Nintendo will do everything to get it out. They can pull as many people from Monolith as they need. Monolith is only releasing a Xenoblade remake this year so Nintendo won't have any issues pulling more people than usual from them.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

This is a possibility, and a very depressing one. Not only is Mario Kart tour on mobile, it's also a relatively bad game. I really hope it didn't take the resources which could have been dedicated to a console game.
Unified development is supposed to focus resources on a single platform, so I hope that Nintendo won't get greedy with mobile games and will instead outsource most of their development; and if they are greedy, it'll probably bite them in the ass eventually, and I'll be here to laugh when that happens.

I still believe that the MK team as something else planned to release within the next 12-ish months. My money is on the next Mario Kart.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I get It with Smash and Fire Emblem, but Pokémon DLC announcement would have never happened in a General Direct.

To be fair, Smash had couple of Directs its own, and Nintendo now usually announcing DLCs through Twitter instead of Directs.
So nothing strange with Pokemon and Smash Direct, or Fire Emblem DLC.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way BotW 2 isn't this years holiday game. Nintendo will do everything to get it out. They can pull as many people from Monolith as they need. Monolith is only releasing a Xenoblade remake this year so Nintendo won't have any issues pulling more people than usual from them.

Let's assume for a second BotW2 won't make it this year where both Microsoft and Sony release a new console. We know Pokémon will only get DLC this year which for itself is big but not big enough to count as a substitute for a big holiday title. We know that Mario 3D World will most likely get ported this year so I doubt we will see Odyssey 2. Animal Crossing is releasing in March.
So unless Nintendo suddenly doesn't care about their usual strong holiday line up which I really doubt BotW2 HAS to come out this holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.