• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I don't know if this means anything towards a direct, but Smash Bros weekly events are usually announced on Tuesday, but this week's event was announced just now, a day early.

You guys are missing that they revealed this week's event a day earlier than they usually do.

So Smash announcement coming soon that would take up their regular social media posting time?
Yea, basically, this

Plum

May 31, 2018
Honestly I think this thread needs a disclaimer somewhere saying that "THE DIRECT NOT BEING ANNOUNCED ON TUESDAY IS NOT CAUSE FOR PANIC IF YOU BELIEVE IT WILL/CAN HAPPEN ON THE 16TH." The notion that a 16th Direct has to be announced tomorrow is a literal falsehood as there hasn't been a Direct in years announced two days before its release.

If not then I can definitely see some overreactions tomorrow if/when it doesn't get announced; and not really the fun jokey kind.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this means anything towards a direct, but Smash Bros weekly events are usually announced on Tuesday, but this week's event was announced just now, a day early.

Yea, basically, this
How come you think they'd announce it one day early? To keep more space between it and the Smash character announcement in a possible direct this week?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll waiting for some Direct, but what I'm waiting for is for more valued-insiders-hitting-on-other-valued-insiders action like we had in OT3.

PSA About Announcement Time
OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
PSA: General Direct announcements have, in general, two possible days. If a Direct is Wednesday, the announcement will be Tuesday. If it is Thursday, the announcement will be Wednesday. Both at 9 or 10 AM ET.

Please do not panic if nothing happens Tuesday

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think this thread needs a disclaimer somewhere saying that "THE DIRECT NOT BEING ANNOUNCED ON TUESDAY IS NOT CAUSE FOR PANIC IF YOU BELIEVE IT WILL/CAN HAPPEN ON THE 16TH."

Because I can definitely see some overreactions tomorrow if/when it doesn't get announced; and not really the fun jokey kind.
I personally think Wednesday is the more likely day for an announcement, but I'll still be here riding the hype train tomorrow morning.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
If it's announced tomorrow it'll be for a Wednesday release, for if it's gonna happen on the 16th then it'll be announced on Wednesday. General Nintendo Directs are always announced around about 32 hours prior to their start; there seems to be some weird misinformation or confusion going on where everyone believes they're announced 2 days prior instead.

I don't want it to happen on Wednesday but I guess my way-of-thinking leads me to mentally preparing for it to happen that day lol
Are game-specific and general directs really that different in that regard?
hm
Guess I don't believe in an announcement tomorrow then either.
wednesday it is.

Plum

May 31, 2018
PSA: General Direct announcements have, in general, two possible days. If a Direct is Wednesday, the announcement will be Tuesday. If it is Thursday, the announcement will be Wednesday. Both at 9 or 10 AM ET.

Please do not panic if nothing happens Tuesday

Thanks for posting this!

I personally think Wednesday is the more likely day for an announcement, but I'll still be here riding the hype train tomorrow morning.

Same here. I've already started my bingo card and the Direct hasn't even been announced.

Direct hype isn't just getting excited over video-game advertisements. It's a lifestyle.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Are game-specific and general directs really that different in that regard?
hm
Guess I don't believe in an announcement tomorrow then either.
wednesday it is.

Yeah; game-specific Directs are generally (as in I haven't checked them all) announced two days prior whereas General Directs are announced around one and a half days. I think it's because General Directs tend to get more traction quicker whereas Game-Specific ones may require a little more time to get more people knowing about them; whether or not that's the case I've yet to find a General Direct (outside of E3, of course) in the Switch Era that wasn't announced the day before showing.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah; game-specific Directs are generally (as in I haven't checked them all) announced two days prior whereas General Directs are announced around one and a half days. I think it's because General Directs tend to get more traction quicker whereas Game-Specific ones may require a little more time to get more people knowing about them; whether or not that's the case I've yet to find a General Direct (outside of E3, of course) in the Switch Era that wasn't announced the day before showing.
Can you check the September 2017 Direct ? I have a doubt about this one.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The general direct of September 2017 was announced on Monday and the direct was a Wednesday. That's the main one that sticks out from what Nintendo usually does (32 hours prior with general)

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, a Smash Direct isn't ideal but it'd be enough to hold me over. Fighter 5 could be the first actual surprise since Joker since it hasn't leaked, and in really interested to see how they handle future DLC.

Animal Crossing Direct in the other hand, I have no interest in so that'd be a bummer

May 10, 2019

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
My brain says this week, my gut says February.

Logically speaking, this week is the best time. A Smash character needs to be announced and I don't think they'll do a Smash Direct for that. The previous Smash Directs had much more to talk about than just new characters. Plus AC preorders needing to go up, the DMC guy saying to watch out on the 16th, and I suppose Metro Exodus needs to be announced.

That being said, because it's Nintendo, I expect radio silence until the second week of February. Maybe a tweet to announce preorders for AC are up

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want those wristbands.

super-nintendo-world-10.jpg

Plum

May 31, 2018
Can you check the September 2017 Direct ? I have a doubt about this one.

Huh, yeah you're right there. Both the April and September 2017 Directs were announced two days prior:

However that was 2017, and since then all 4 General directs, even the re-announcement of September 2018's Direct, have been announced less than 2 days prior. So if we're going to by precedent then it wouldn't really make sense for Nintendo to break tradition here. That's especially true since a Wednesday Direct would mean only 6 days between two relatively major Nintendo events (Pokemon and General Directs); that hasn't happened at all in the past 4 years outside of a single time dictated by E3's schedule and not Nintendo's.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I feel like I remember 2018 being the start of 1 day prior. There was definitely a time they were announced 2 days in advance

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

– "No limit!" is the new brand slogan
– USJ marketing director Ayumu Yamamoto says: If Disney is the dreamworld then USJ is the wake world where we will energize you and make you feel alive
– Super Nintendo World will use tech + smartphone app
– Wearable wrist bands called the "Power Up Band" will make you feel like you're part of the game world
– You can collect digital coins and compete with others
– "A life-size, living video game" – Thierry Coup

FUCKING CHRIST

Plum

May 31, 2018
One reveal that needs to happen is the identity of this so-called 'General Direct'.

I hear them being talked about so often here yet they don't seem to have made any sort of public appearance that I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.