• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm not getting any new physical game either, probably until the end of april:

- TMS is way too anime for me
- not sure about trials of mana still
- if i get animal crossing, it'll be digital (even tho i get almost everything physical but this one i should make an exception)

i did just order a physical copy of deadly premonition origins from america tho, and that'll be my one physical game for this quarter (it'll take like a month to get here).

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you still buy games physically in general?

On Switch, I tend to buy most of my full-priced (Swiss equivalent of $50+) games physically. Luigi's Mansion 3, Ring Fit Adventure (duh), A.I. The Somnium Files, Link's Awakening, Daemon X Machina, Astral Chain... those were the recent ones I bought on cartridge. Indie games I buy digitally.

I guess Animal Crossing, if I were to get it (as I said, still undecided) would be like Mario Kart, Smash Bros. and Super Mario Maker 2. I would want that on my Switch at all times.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Not getting any new retail game on Switch this quarter either. Already have the WiiU version of TMS (arguably superior), think that Animal Crossing lost its charm (couldn't get into the 3DS version), etc. I got enough games to play anyway (and some great ones to buy on other platforms).

Looking forward to the Direct next week though.

Maxroy

Dec 5, 2019
These 48 hour waits between announcement and going live for these past few presentations hurt me.

That being said what if they troll us today and announce an actual direct that airs the usual 2PM PT/ 5PM ET slot for the 16th?

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Last week of January are Nintendo quarter reports, so chances for that week are minimal,
so we talking about next week or February.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
These 48 hour waits between announcement and going live for these past few presentations hurt me.

That being said what if they troll us today and announce an actual direct that airs the usual 2PM PT/ 5PM ET slot for the 16th?
I want to believe

that's what the Devil May Cry clue was pointing to, obviously

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
B-b-but they have to reveal new games before the end of January otherwise the investor's at the financial meeting won't be pleased.

They had no Direct in January last year either. Investors were still pleased / very pleased due to results and overall situation of the company :P

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Sadly, Nintendo not revealing their schedule until early in the year, and having a weak Q1 is a regular thing. It's nothing new.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
That's what I have been saying and people didn't want to listen so now I am making fun of them. :p
Yeah, I remember pointing this out in OT3. I think people forget Nintendo will primarily decide release schedules and marketing plans according to the overall financial year, which only ends at the end of March, after Animal Crossing's release. Nintendo's Q3 results will be about the success of Ring Fit Adventure, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pokemon, followed by them pointing out they have a strong end to the financial year with the forthcoming release of Animal Crossing. There's no need for Nintendo to discuss their next financial year while there's still a chunk of the existing FY to go.

I'd expect a general Direct before the end of April (I expect one in February) because at the end of April Nintendo will need to brief investors on their plans for the next financial year - so by that point they will need to point to products launching throughout 2020 as evidence of how they'll meet their sales goals.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles remake is the only confirmed and implied 2020 title for Switch I want. And even then it's a remake of a game I've played through twice.

Last year the only game I bought in the first half was No More Heroes.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Nintendo still needs to open pre-orders for Animal Crossing in Japan and they usually only do so after they have announced a price (which they still haven't for AC), and they usually only announce such information in a Nintendo Direct. There's also a whole lot of other information about AC that hasn't been revealed yet. We don't know a lot about that game. Six weeks is the bare minimum between open pre-orders and release. Therefore, the amount of time left for Nintendo to unveil all this is quite short. First week of February is the last possibility, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do another video presentation next week, the third one in a row.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
Nintendo still needs to open pre-orders for Animal Crossing in Japan and they usually only do so after they have announced a price (which they still haven't for AC), and they usually only announce such information in a Nintendo Direct. There's also a whole lot of other information about AC that hasn't been revealed yet. We don't know a lot about that game. Six weeks is the bare minimum between open pre-orders and release. Therefore, the amount of time left for Nintendo to unveil all this is quite short. First week of February is the last possibility, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do another video presentation next week, the third one in a row.

please let this be true please let this be true please let this be true

somebody grind down a new leaf cartridge and inject it directly into my bloodstream.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're 9 weeks away from Animal Crossing's release and has said ad nauseam preorders are not open.

I can't see them going within 2 months before they have some kind of presentation to open the preorders.

oracion

Jan 7, 2018
Tokyo
Ringfit Adventure was five weeks.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
We're 9 weeks away from Animal Crossing's release and has said ad nauseam preorders are not open.

I can't see them going within 2 months before they have some kind of presentation to open the preorders.

there are some other tells as well, like the nintendo dream magazine releasing on the 21st with animal crossing being the feature. but i'm just very hyped for the game, so i'm crossing my fingers we get drip fed more information soon.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The fact that there's a trend for very weak Q1 or even H1 doesn't make it less disappointing.
That being said, 2019 had a weak Q1 and only 1 general direct before e3, and it ended up being an excellent year. 2018 had a mini direct and a full direct before e3 and it ended up being weak year, so I wouldn't worry too much for the rest of 2020. But for the first time in a while, there are no Indies to be released soon that interest me, so the upcoming months feel quite empty. Good thing I could grab cuphead for 10 bucks last week, and I still need to finish blasphemous.

Edit: lkd is so full of shit hahaha

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
The fact that there's a trend for very weak Q1 or even H1 doesn't make it less disappointing.
That being said, 2019 had a weak Q1 and only 1 general direct before e3, and it ended up being an excellent year. 2018 had a mini direct and a full direct before e3 and it ended up being weak year, so I wouldn't worry too much for the rest of 2020.
Yep. No point in panicking - we've heard from reliable people (who gave us accurate outlines for 2018 and 2019) that the year will be strong. On top of that, objectively speaking, Animal Crossing is a big deal. We haven't had a major new EPD title in the first quarter of a calendar year since Breath of the Wild. That's a good sign as far as I see it.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
First half of this year is like when you call the only grocery store in the state that has your favorite ice cream and ask if it's in stock, they say yes and put it on hold for you, so you go to the grocery store for the pickup and realize they have discontinued the ice cream and the person who answered the phone lied.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Yep. No point in panicking - we've heard from reliable people (who gave us accurate outlines for 2018 and 2019) that the year will be strong. On top of that, objectively speaking, Animal Crossing is a big deal. We haven't had a major new EPD title in the first quarter of a calendar year since Breath of the Wild. That's a good sign as far as I see it.

Yes. The perception of H1 depends a lot on what someone feels about Animal Crossing. I personnally have zero interest for it, but it seems to be a big deal for many.
That's also why I'm not a fan of relying on 1 big game to carry an entire quarter (or more, like we saw with Smash Bros).

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
That being said, 2019 had a weak Q1 and only 1 general direct before e3, and it ended up being an excellent year. 2018 had a mini direct and a full direct before e3 and it ended up being weak year, so I wouldn't worry too much for the rest of 2020. But for the first time in a while, there are no Indies to be released soon that interest me, so the upcoming months feel quite empty. Good thing I could grab cuphead for 10 bucks last week, and I still need to finish blasphemous.

Edit: lkd is so full of shit hahaha
What do you think of blasphemous so far?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
What do you think of blasphemous so far?

I have mixed feelings. The game makes a very very strong first impression. It's clearly 2D rip off of dark souls, which isn't a bad thing per say, but as it is in 2D, some elements which work well in DS feel kinda tedious in blasphemous, especially what relates to traversal. Platforming can be frustrating sometimes for the wrong reasons too. But overall, it's a solid game in my opinion, I'd give it a 6 or 7 which for me is a good mark. My 2019 Gotys katana zero and the touryst are 7-8.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
Yes. The perception of H1 depends a lot on what someone feels about Animal Crossing. I personnally have zero interest for it, but it seems to be a big deal for many.
That's also why I'm not a fan of relying on 1 big game to carry an entire quarter (or more, like we saw with Smash Bros).

i think it's the game that really appeals to the huge, quiet casual crowd. people will buy switches just to play animal crossing, even if they don't have a huge interest in gaming. and although the fantasy life sim genre is getting bigger and more popular with more indie titles (stardew, my time at portia, etc) there still really isn't a huge aaa market for that genre of video game. so animal crossing is a big deal because it's the creme de la creme of life sims.

edit: im really good at formatting forum posts

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
I don't know how some people are getting it in their head that Nintendo's first quarter is "weak" this year. Again, I'll fully own up to being biased but Animal Crossing is a big deal. Some people like to act like it isn't a system seller just because it caters to different (still very large) demographic of the industry.

I understand if Animal Crossing isn't your thing but don't act like this year's starting off "weak" because you don't like AC but act like a year starting with Zelda is "strong" because Zelda IS your thing. Both are strong.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I don't know how some people are getting it in their head that Nintendo's first quarter is "weak" this year. Again, I'll fully own up to being biased but Animal Crossing is a big deal. Some people like to act like it isn't a system seller just because it caters to different (still very large) demographic of the industry.

I understand if Animal Crossing isn't your thing but don't act like this year's starting off "weak" because you don't like AC but act like a year starting with Zelda is "strong" because Zelda IS your thing. Both are strong.

It's weak because from December 2019 to possibly June 2020, there will probably be "just" animal crossing as an original Nintendo game.
We'll see how it goes, more things could be announced (Tetris 99 was a blessing), but as of now, that's 6 months with only one strong release. Whether it is Zelda or animal crossing, for me, it's quite weak; especially with many third parties skipping the switch, or being delayed (like doom or gods and monsters).

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
First half of this year is like when you call the only grocery store in the state that has your favorite ice cream and ask if it's in stock, they say yes and put it on hold for you, so you go to the grocery store for the pickup and realize they have discontinued the ice cream and the person who answered the phone lied.

Do you want to talk about it

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

The issue is I don't consider March 20 really "starting off" the year.

Even if it was BOTW2 releasing March 20, the general Q1 and Q2 would be weak if that was it.

edit: This is in terms of first party games or exclusives of course.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
The issue is I don't consider March 20 really "starting off" the year.

Even if it was BOTW2 releasing March 20, the general Q1 and Q2 would be weak if that was it.

edit: This is in terms of first party games or exclusives of course.

i think it would have worked out better if animal crossing released at the end of 2019 like originally intended (although i am very supportive of reducing developer crunch, so it's whatever that it got delayed). actually, what would have filled the jan-march gap if animal crossing had come out in 2019?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
i think it would have worked out better if animal crossing released at the end of 2019 like originally intended (although i am very supportive of reducing developer crunch, so it's whatever that it got delayed). actually, what would have filled the jan-march gap if animal crossing had come out in 2019?
The exact same question could be asked of last year.
The thing is we don't know the internal shifts or internal delays that may take place all the time.

cause, in Q1 2019 there was Yoshi, NSMBU. Then SMM2 and FE came out later.

Yoshi and FE were originally supposed to be 2018. And apparently NSMBU was ready for 2018 but was pushed back to pad out.

So we thought, "Wait if FE and Yoshi had hit 2018, and NSMBU hit 2018 as initially planned, what the heck would've released from January to July? Just Mario Maker? Would Astral or LA been speedtracked to released in H1?" etc etc

so basically the same as last year. We dunno lol.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
I have mixed feelings. The game makes a very very strong first impression. It's clearly 2D rip off of dark souls, which isn't a bad thing per say, but as it is in 2D, some elements which work well in DS feel kinda tedious in blasphemous, especially what relates to traversal. Platforming can be frustrating sometimes for the wrong reasons too. But overall, it's a solid game in my opinion, I'd give it a 6 or 7 which for me is a good mark. My 2019 Gotys katana zero and the touryst are 7-8.
It ended up about a 6 for me, I loved the style and the music but the platforming ruined it for me by the end. I died more to spike pits than everything else combined. I just found it baffling that a game so clearly inspired by dark souls had enemy encounters that were far less troubling than traversal. I think it could have been an 8 for me if the difficulty was raised via the regular enemies and bosses and the insta death pitfalls were much rarer or non existent. It just didn't reward skill or mastery in a substantial way.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
It ended up about a 6 for me, I loved the style and the music but the platforming ruined it for me by the end. I died more to spike pits than everything else combined. I just found it baffling that a game so clearly inspired by dark souls had enemy encounters that were far less troubling than traversal. I think it could have been an 8 for me if the difficulty was raised via the regular enemies and bosses and the insta death pitfalls were much rarer or non existent. It just didn't reward skill or mastery in a substantial way.

We more or less have the same feeling then. Indeed, dying 5 times due to imprecise plateforming and having to go through weak enemies to get your body back was sometimes tedious.

Status
Not open for further replies.