• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how some people are getting it in their head that Nintendo's first quarter is "weak" this year. Again, I'll fully own up to being biased but Animal Crossing is a big deal. Some people like to act like it isn't a system seller just because it caters to different (still very large) demographic of the industry.

I understand if Animal Crossing isn't your thing but don't act like this year's starting off "weak" because you don't like AC but act like a year starting with Zelda is "strong" because Zelda IS your thing. Both are strong.

That's the problem of being a Nintendo fan. Nintendo just have too many IPs and genres to satisfy everyone and that's why you will hear dissatisfaction with their line up more often in Nintendo threads than in let's say Sony threads. If you liked Horizon Zero Dawn chances are high you will like Spider-Man. If you liked Spider-Man chances are high you like God of War or Ghost of Tsushima or Days Gone and so on.
On the other hand if you liked Smash it doesn't necessarily mean you will like Animal Crossing, Super Mario Odyssey or Fire Emblem Three Houses.

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
I have mixed feelings. The game makes a very very strong first impression. It's clearly 2D rip off of dark souls, which isn't a bad thing per say, but as it is in 2D, some elements which work well in DS feel kinda tedious in blasphemous, especially what relates to traversal. Platforming can be frustrating sometimes for the wrong reasons too. But overall, it's a solid game in my opinion, I'd give it a 6 or 7 which for me is a good mark. My 2019 Gotys katana zero and the touryst are 7-8.
Lol, this is basically my hollow knight review

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Animal Crossing is not Mario Kart or 3D, but again its huge game and system seller game, not counting 2017. its biggest/stronger 1H Switch game,
and what's interesting is that Animal Crossing popular among different part of market than usual Nintendo games,
so I cant agree that 1H or 1Q is weak (ofcourse personal preferences of games is totally different story).

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Animal Crossing is not Mario Kart or 3D, but again its huge game and system seller game, not counting 2017. its biggest/stronger 1H Switch game,
and what's interesting is that Animal Crossing popular among different part of market than usual Nintendo games,
so I cant agree that 1H or 1Q is weak (ofcourse personal preferences of games is totally different story).

That's still 1 big game in possibly half a year. No matter how big the game is, as a whole, you can understand why it qualifies for many as a weak quarter.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Next Week... Nintendo Space World 2020 announced... mark my words!

Yeah.... sure.... MIni Direct at least? Pliiis?

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I don't know how some people are getting it in their head that Nintendo's first quarter is "weak" this year. Again, I'll fully own up to being biased but Animal Crossing is a big deal. Some people like to act like it isn't a system seller just because it caters to different (still very large) demographic of the industry.

I understand if Animal Crossing isn't your thing but don't act like this year's starting off "weak" because you don't like AC but act like a year starting with Zelda is "strong" because Zelda IS your thing. Both are strong.
To play devil's advocate, Animal Crossing is the only big game that we have from Nintendo with a release date - and even though it's undoubtedly a good series, I don't think it's will be regarded exceptionally well like BOTW, Mario Odyssey or Smash Ultimate.

Put it this way - it'll probably get above an 80 on Metacritic, but I seriously doubt that it can crack 90 (New Leaf has an 88).

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
System seller? I would have thought anyone who wants Animal Crossing already has a switch.. am I wrong? Does it have wider appeal than I realise?
People said this about Smash last year and Pokémon this year.

The reality is that not every Nintendo fan likes every Nintendo game. Some of them come on board for specific kinds of games. Animal Crossing is one of those games.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I like Smash Bros, but I'm not going to waste my time on 30 minute announcements of a single fighter when you already have 74.

That's understandable but if it's anything like the Terry Direct there will be about a million smaller announcements that are all super cool, at least if the new character is from a series you're interested in

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
To play devil's advocate, Animal Crossing is the only big game that we have from Nintendo with a release date - and even though it's undoubtedly a good series, I don't think it's will be regarded exceptionally well like BOTW, Mario Odyssey or Smash Ultimate.

Put it this way - it'll probably get above an 80 on Metacritic, but I seriously doubt that it can crack 90 (New Leaf has an 88).
It will probably get about an 85 Metacritic but given New Leaf sold over 11million copies, i agree that it is a mega release for March. I would suspect this could get close to 15m lifetime sales.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I like Smash Bros, but I'm not going to waste my time on 30 minute announcements of a single fighter when you already have 74.

And here I am just drooling about sakurai going knee deep into the new character's movesets lol. Over the years as I play smash, I've become so much more invested/ interested in a Characters gameplay mechanics than anything else in a smash game.

Anyway the 2nd half of the year should be great first half of you're lot a animal crossing fan/ or don't buy ports/ remakes well ...

Hit the gym until 2nd half of the year

Animal crossing is going to do the heavy lifting especially for switch Lites. It's a key title to get more women into buying switches

Oct 25, 2017

But should sell around 11 to 12 million pieces of software and move hardware

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think it is pretty clear to see that Nintendo is losing interest in general Directs as a format of communication.

Last edited:

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think it is pretty clear to see that Nintendo is losing interest in the Directs as a format of communication.

Way to jump to conclusions, it's January and we already had 1 direct, another direct in 1 day. Y'all are just so direct addicted y'all need help. Shit is coming relax get some help

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Funny how do you jump on me. Don´t you see that Nintendo is prefering more and more just to tweet or release videos or short presentations?

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Funny how do you jump on me. Don´t you see that Nintendo is prefering more and more just to tweet or release videos or short presentations?
And this is not a bad thing per se. Companies continuously change their strategies of talking/selling their products looking for the most effective one in the present context.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
sure, Nintendo most lucrative Ip still uses direct but Nintendo itself has abandoned them just cause even when they didn't during the WiiU Era.
bulletproof logic right here.
You wrote "sure" but you did not read me or you did not understand me because I said that I was referring to general Directs and you replied that Nintendo still uses Directs for Pokémon. Bulletproof nonsense here.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
On Switch, I tend to buy most of my full-priced (Swiss equivalent of $50+) games physically. Luigi's Mansion 3, Ring Fit Adventure (duh), A.I. The Somnium Files, Link's Awakening, Daemon X Machina, Astral Chain... those were the recent ones I bought on cartridge. Indie games I buy digitally.

I guess Animal Crossing, if I were to get it (as I said, still undecided) would be like Mario Kart, Smash Bros. and Super Mario Maker 2. I would want that on my Switch at all times.
Ok, cool. Yeah, I get having those games that can be played in short bursts with you all the time.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
You wrote "sure" but you did not read me or you did not understand me because I said that I was referring to general Directs and you replied that Nintendo still uses Directs for Pokémon. Bulletproof nonsense here.
I mean. Nintendo have had the exact same number of General Directs every year of the Switch's lifespan, even in the wake of the big, bad advent of the "Twitter Direct." I'd wait to make huge, sweeping generalizations about their marketing strategy until at least the second half of the year, preferably only after there hasn't been a first-quarter Direct, like there always is.

Status
Not open for further replies.