• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Why would somebody else mess up DKC? Don't you trust Nintendo's leadership to overlook who's making it? Look how good Mercury Steam did and they haven't put out anything of quality like Samus Returns.

Yes and no. I think the other company will do okay with Donkey Kong, but it will pale in comparison to Returns and Tropical Freeze. That might piss fans off.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Next Level Games didn't do Luigi's Mansion. Nintendo did Luigi's Mansion then they let NLG do it. It's not like NLG had big Luigi's Mansion experience. Nintendo can easily get a western studio to make a new DKC and Tanabe will produce and watch them.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Games helped on DKCR on 3DS, they can handle the formula; but if anything, Retro probably had time to work on another full game between Tropical Freeze and starting on Prime 4 early last year;

wathever is the case, I doubt DKC will skip the Switch
there's also Playtonic, of course
hire the former staff of Playful and make a second team at Retro for DK

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the next DKC will just be handled internally. No way is that franchise taking a break when a port is selling 3-4M LTD. A new DK game on Switch is a guarantee imo.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm convinced that the 2D Mario team is working on a new DKC game as we speak. Metroid and DK can live at the same time!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that Playful is losing people let Retro pick them up. Grow them to a 2 team studio. It's time. They shouldn't be a 1 team studio anymore.

Playtonic games is also out there. Nintendo should really try to convince Monster Games to make DK games or try to buy the studio if Monster Games is willing. Nintendo needs more western first party studios in general and for DK to get the games it deserves.

Next Level Games could probably make a DKC game. They're very talented going from Luigi's Mansion to Punch-Out to Mario Strikers to Metroid Prime Federation Force. They're a very versatile studio.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced that the 2D Mario team is working on a new DKC game as we speak. Metroid and DK can live at the same time!
Nintendo isn't going to make DKC. They don't touch that series. They'll make their own unique 2D DK game again. Probably will have some new bongos to go along with it

What western studio?
Next Level Games is sitting there as a first option. They've made games in FOUR different genres for Nintendo. They're a very talented studio. Playtonic is the second option.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm okay with optional bongos for people into that thing but I hope the next DK game has traditional controls too. I can't fit some stupid large bongos in my dorm.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo isn't going to make DKC. They don't touch that series. They'll make their own unique 2D DK game again. Probably will have some new bongos to go along with it

Next Level Games is sitting there as a first option. They've made games in FOUR different genres for Nintendo. They're a very talented studio. Playtonic is the second option.
PlayTonic would clearly be the best fit, going by how great the new Yooka-Laylee is.

And it has in the past, as I pointed out in my overlooked example of the excellent Jungle Beat and Zero Mission.
I just can't see nintendo letting an indie team make a full new mainline game for any big first party series, even if they could pull it off.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
What if it's not karts. You know, breaking free from that kart/tennis/golf/ball sports mold.

But something novel... like parkour...?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't see nintendo letting an indie team make a full new mainline game for any big first party series, even if they could pull it off.
Next Level Games can still be an option as I pointed earlier. They're very versatile and Nintendo knows DK is important and a good seller. They could ask them if they'd like to do a new DKC game since Retro is busy.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I wouldn't be surprised if Donkey Kong was done for the generation, but still got more cameos. Like I kind of expect Donkey Kong to be in Super Mario 3D World Deluxe as a playable character, used as an easy more that functions like an always available cat suit, and there would be an extra world based on the franchise.

If Donkey Kong Racing somehow becomes a thing though, then we'll be fine.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Donkey Kong was done for the generation, but still got more cameos. Like I kind of expect Donkey Kong to be in Super Mario 3D World Deluxe as a playable character, used as an easy more that functions like an always available cat suit, and there would be an extra world based on the franchise.

If Donkey Kong Racing somehow becomes a thing though, then we'll be fine.
I'd be surprised if there's no new DK games this generation. This franchise deserves more than a port and cameos.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
A Good Feel Donkey Kong game doesn't have to be a DKC game, just like how their Yoshi games aren't branded as Yoshi's Island games.

We could get DK's Garbage Grove, to keep up with the crafty theming.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Today we're pleased to announce an exciting new addition to our Donkey Kong franchise: Super Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D coloring book.

dkcfan

Banned
Jan 21, 2020
Nintendo can do it self the 2D Mario team can do this job. Or maybe is the Mario kart team making an new Diddy Kong racing game with Donkey Kong characters replaced the RARE characters. But i still hope that Retro studio's completed an dkc before prime 4. And for the next year's. Buy Playtonic make them bigger. And make them the dkc studio for years.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Nintendo can do it self the 2D Mario team can do this job. Or maybe is the Mario kart team making an new Diddy Kong racing game with Donkey Kong characters replaced the RARE characters. But i still hope that Retro studio's completed an dkc before prime 4. And for the next year's. Buy Playtonic make them bigger. And make them the dkc studio for years.
id be VERY surprised to see any ninternal team touch DK given how allergic they've been to the series since jungle beat. The fact that Diddy didn't even make the cut for MK8:D shows how much they value the character.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
id be VERY surprised to see any ninternal team touch DK given how allergic they've been to the series since jungle beat. The fact that Diddy didn't even make the cut for MK8:D shows how much they value the character.

He was in Mario Kart Tour, though!

images

It looks to me like Nintendo actually values Diddy very much. $39.99 USD, to be exact!

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

Well, for what it's worth, New Donk City in Odyssey contains several references to Rare's DKC characters, even the ones that haven't appeared in forever like K. Rool, Candy, Rattly etc. Diddy even got a costume.

aae.png

Surprisingly there's no references to Jungle Beat to be found, even though that game is their baby.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I never ended up playing it, but Final Remix did end its bonus episode on a cliffhanger, right? But then the port also bombed... right?

dkcfan

Banned
Jan 21, 2020

Yes Nintendo must go the right way when they make any sort of new donkey kong game. But i think the Mario kart team can make an perfect Diddy kong racing 2. Only problem is the many characters. Because when you replaced the RARE characters for Dk characters. You can use. Dk, Diddy, Dixie, King K rool Cranky,, Funky, Candy, Kiddy, Wrinkly, Tiny, Lanky, Chunky ass playable characters and that are not much racers. So maybe the must create new one. But for the rest. With more worlds bosses and an big hub world i am in for an Donkey kong racing adventure game.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Just have EPD 9 remake the original Diddy Kong Racing, but swap out the Rare characters with regular Donkey Kong characters. Problem solved, we get a new Donkey Kong game, we get a new Nintendo racing game, and everybody wins!

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong is not even in any of the Nintendo Tokyo store merch. They've truly betrayed the monkey that put them on the map.

IT SICKENS ME EVEN THOUGH NEW SUPER MARIO BROS U IS BETTER THAN TROPICAL FREEZE

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
I'm sure having inside knowledge of stuff can put you in a weird spot sometimes. I remember back in the mid 2000s I had an acquaintance who worked at EA in Orlando who gave me a tour of the studio during the weekend. He was working on NASCAR games back then and showed me what it looked like, but also told me some stuff they were doing with Madden, etc. pretty cool stuff. I could have blurted it out on message boards but chose to keep it to myself. Got tempted to drop a hint here and there on sports forums but didnt want to risk anything.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still hoping that we'll eventually get a Skyward Sword port/remaster/remake/etc. in the future. I know it's not everyone's favorite in the series, but I still really enjoyed my time with it and it's probably the hardest Zelda for me to replay right now since I no longer own a Wii. That, and Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD. Really Nintendo just give me all of the Zelda's.

images

It looks to me like Nintendo actually values Diddy very much. $39.99 USD, to be exact!
RIP Diddy.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think every day about how there are no DKC games yet available for NSO SNES

images

I think of it as a compliment that Nintendo hopes for whales to pay $40 for the glory of Diddy Kong

dkcfan

Banned
Jan 21, 2020
Just have EPD 9 remake the original Diddy Kong Racing, but swap out the Rare characters with regular Donkey Kong characters. Problem solved, we get a new Donkey Kong game, we get a new Nintendo racing game, and everybody wins!

Make than an new one. The original game is not big enough in content to remake it so an new title will be better.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Well dkcr came out after. Metroid was doing amazing from 02 all the way until other m, and then right after dkcr comes out, and then tropical freeze a few years later.

Yeah, but they've been functioning at the same time, though. Their fanbases seem to have some sort of rivalry, though.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but they've been functioning at the same time, though. Their fanbases seem to have some sort of rivalry, though.
There really isn't a rivalry. Metroid fans were desperate, and then it's revealed that retro made another dkc, and meant likely no metroid at all for a long time most likely. And then hardcore dk fans took it as a slight.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
There really isn't a rivalry. Metroid fans were desperate, and then it's revealed that retro made another dkc, and meant likely no metroid at all for a long time most likely. And then hardcore dk fans took it as a slight.

No, I definitely think there has been a minor rivalry. When Retro was doing DK, i remember seeing people from both fanbases giving others shit for being displeased with how things were going. I don't think it was a major thing, but i think DK fans took the attacks on Retro personally and vice versa.

dkcfan

Banned
Jan 21, 2020
No, I definitely think there has been a rivalry. When Retro was doing DK, i remember seeing people from both fanbases giving others shit for being displeased with how things were going. I don't think it was a major thing, but i think DK fans took the attacks on Retro personally and vice versa.

On that problem. Retro studio's let hope they have cleared an Dkc game before prime 4 that is really big. So both fans are happy haha

Status
Not open for further replies.