• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Or the subsequent never ending speculation about the next DLC fighter that taints every Nintendo discussion and how the fans have the audacity to get angry when smash isn't mentioned for once

Yeah, it's crazy that people keep talking about the best selling fighting game ever which is getting multiple years of DLC.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I hope Smash gets a third Season Pass down the line just so these people "suffer" some more.
To be fair, it's much more fun to talk about games and announcements for thing you even have a passing interest in. A lot of people just don't like fighters, myself included.

Same goes for any dedicated Direct though. I just think Smash's fanbase is particularly outspoken.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I'm honestly fine with all the attention Smash receives, the game is an incredible success on so many levels.

I'm curious what Nintendo can/will do with the franchise next... so I don't blame them keeping this in the limelight for years to come.

Realistically, I dont think we'll see another Smash for a considerably long time, so enjoy it while it lasts if it's your thing, I say.

It will be interesting to see if Nintendo approach the next Mario Kart in a similar way to Smash.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
To be fair, it's much more fun to talk about games and announcements for thing you even have a passing interest in. A lot of people just don't like fighters, myself included.

Same goes for any dedicated Direct though. I just think Smash's fanbase is particularly outspoken.
I mean, the absence of "Master Chief for Smash" trailer or something won't suddenly materialize an announcement one is interested in its stead.

So to me it reads as something as petty as "why is this thing I don't like getting attention".

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Yeah, it's crazy that people keep talking about the best selling fighting game ever which is getting multiple years of DLC.
I'm fine with Smash and long may its success continue, but just wanted to point out that the fighting genre is one of the smallest selling genres of videogame.

Smash is still a huge success in it's own right, but being the "best selling fighting game" is really not an accolade... Injustice, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive, Street Fighter... all amazing franchises, but there is always a ceiling on their sales potential - it's actually quite remarkable when you compare their sales and see how flat they are between series entries!

If you dont like fighting games (or ridiculous gore in the case of MK!) then you simply dont buy them, so youll always get people piping up about all the attention Smash receives.

I think Smash Ultimate deserves the spotlight, personally, but largely because I think it's going to be near impossible for Nintendo to follow it up...!

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I meant more that it's really not the accolade to convince someone that doesnt like fighting games, and that it actually does Smash a disservice because the sales are in a league of their own compared to the likes of MK and SF.

17 million sales or second only to Mario Kart on Switch are the ones that put Smash into perspective - although, you'll still struggle to convince anyone that doesnt like it!

I still think 17 million people versus best of a relatively small genre is the way forward though!

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I mean, the absence of "Master Chief for Smash" trailer or something won't suddenly materialize an announcement one is interested in its stead.

So to me it reads as something as petty as "why is this thing I don't like getting attention".
There is only so much time for things to be developed, announced, and released so of course there's always going to be people vyying for attention and wanting to be catered to.

For people not interested in the fighting genre, they'd much rather see new or different games that they might like with that limited resource. It happens with everything and there's nothing wrong with it unless the outcry is too loud one way or the other.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
There is only so much time for things to be developed, announced, and released so of course there's always going to be people vyying for attention and wanting to be catered to.

For people not interested in the fighting genre, they'd much rather see new or different games that they might like with that limited resource. It happens with everything and there's nothing wrong with it unless the outcry is too loud one way or the other.
If you were to remove the airtime dedicated to Smash from Directs it would be replaced by nothing.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
While we are on the Smash topic I think these dedicated Sakurai videos are their best bet going forward. The game really doesnt need Direct spotlight anymore and Sakurai can go as indepth as he wants for fans there without disrupting any pacing Nintendo might want for a Direct.

Not saying it doesnt deserve to be in a Direct or shouldnt be there but I think this new format works best for it and Smash fans tune in for that just as much.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Yea. If you took smash out of the 2018 direct, it would just be 25 minutes shorter and nothing else added.
Some people probably would've preferred that, and I can kinda see why, but it isn't worth complaining about almost two years later.

Ultimate will, at most, continue to take 2-5 minutes out of each general direct; people can live through that.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Nintendo actually has a Bayonetta 3 trailer since 2018 but Sakurai never allows i to be in a direct because he demands more and more minutes for Smash and there is a time limit

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Today I have been watching some gameplays of the new ArcSys game, Granblue Fantasy: Versus, and the slower (compared to other anime fighters) gameplay and focus on weapons made me realize that a game like this would be a perfect match for Fire Emblem, and I wonder if Nintendo is going to invest in traditional fighting games in the future.

ArcSys is developing/updating a lot of games at the same time now, and I'm sure Atlus is trying to get their P5 fighter, so I don't even think they're available, but I think Nintendo partnering with them in the future to create a FE traditional fighting game would be a really wise decision and would expand Nintendo's competitive scene a lot. It would also serve to have all the new FE characters in a game that is not Smash, which has been a big complaint from the Smash fanbase the last years.

Watching Versus this morning I realised how great a game that seems pretty fun could be if it had good characters, for some reason I don't feel them at all (random generic anime trops at their worst IMO), and it's not because I never played the phone game, I was impressed by most post timeskip designs in 3H before playing the game. Better characters also means more appeal, so lots of non-FE fans that simply love this kind of fighting games would also be interested and it has IMO the potential to be a really big game (maybe not as big as DBZ, but bigger than their original games or Versus).

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Today I have been watching some gameplays of the new ArcSys game, Granblue Fantasy: Versus, and the slower (compared to other anime fighters) gameplay and focus on weapons made me realize that a game like this would be a perfect match for Fire Emblem, and I wonder if Nintendo is going to invest in traditional fighting games in the future.

ArcSys is developing/updating a lot of games at the same time now, and I'm sure Atlus is trying to get their P5 fighter, so I don't even think they're available, but I think Nintendo partnering with them in the future to create a FE traditional fighting game would be a really wise decision and would expand Nintendo's competitive scene a lot. It would also serve to have all the new FE characters in a game that is not Smash, which has been a big complaint from the Smash fanbase the last years.

Watching Versus this morning I realised how great a game that seems pretty fun could be if it had good characters, for some reason I don't feel them at all (random generic anime trops at their worst IMO), and it's not because I never played the phone game, I was impressed by most post timeskip designs in 3H before playing the game. Better characters also means more appeal, so lots of non-FE fans that simply love this kind of fighting games would also be interested and it has IMO the potential to be a really big game (maybe not as big as DBZ, but bigger than their original games or Versus).
While Three Houses is definitely better with the anime tropes it's still very tropey and if they made a fighting game it would most likely contain characters from all the games with great focus on the last few ones which especially contains Fates and Awakening because they were part of ehat put the series on the radar again.
And while I like Awakening (It's story isn't bad but also not very special) Fates has awful writing is the worst about stuff like this.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If the next direct be it general or what ever doesn't have smash DLC #6, I'll be dissappointed tbh.

That's it? No smash? ...im terrrified of seeing those words

I don't really like animal crossing so I'm not as hyped about the next direct as I should be I guess since it's rumored to have a bunch of ports and shit that I already played on Wii U

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Didn't we had the some Problem with Bayonetta 2 in regard with lack of News on Bayonetta 3?
Eh, the turnaround from the first teaser to any additional details was a lot faster for Bayonetta 2. It was revealed in September 2012, then mentioned in the January 2013 Direct, and finally the first gameplay reveal was shown at E3 2013 (with a playable demo too); with the final game releasing just over two years out from the original reveal, in September (JP) / October (rest of the world) 2014.

Bayonetta 3, on the other hand, was revealed over two years ago now and we still have no concrete details on it.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
If the next direct be it general or what ever doesn't have smash DLC #6, I'll be dissappointed tbh.

I don't really like animal crossing so I'm not as hyped about the next direct as I should be I guess
Wouldn't expect the Character until E3 judging by Sakurai's comments about being sorry that we will still have to wait for it.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't expect the Character until E3 judging by Sakurai's comments about being sorry that we will still have to wait for it.

Well judging by how there's 6 dlc fighters left until December 2021..and Nintendo' usually holds 3 general directs a year I hope it's like this tbh. Each general direct having 1 character reveal

Spring direct - dlc #6
E3 direct -dlc #7
Fall direct -dlc #8

Spring direct -dlc #9
E3 - dlc #10
Fall direct -dlc #11

All followed by a smash character direct deep diving into said revealed characters history/ moveset

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Well judging by how there's 6 dlc fighters left until December 2021..and Nintendo' usually holds 3 general directs a year I hope it's like this tbh. Each general direct having 1 character reveal

Spring direct - dlc #6
E3 direct -dlc #7
Fall direct -dlc #8

Spring direct -dlc #9
E3 - dlc #10
Fall direct -dlc #11

All followed by a smash character direct deep diving into said revealed characters history/ moveset
Byleth wasn't tied to a direct so their release schdule isn't connected.
It's just wishful thinking.
The Fall directs have been consistently in Spetember the last few years (yeah I know patters, just like we should totally expect something every janurary and february lol)
Could totally be a late reveal close to its release in december, just like with Byleth.
Just expect the worst so you won't be disappointed.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Can't people, you know, be happy for each other when something gets announced which might excite other people?

Apparently I'm strange, but I'm so flabbergasted sometimes by how people can respond to something which they have no interest in, but feel the need to share how much they dislike the announcement. This always include broken arguments, but hey, its easy to spot who to ignore during discussions.

For example, I'm not a fan of Animal Crossing. If that game would receive future updates and would take up some Direct time, I'd completely understand because so many people love the franchise.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Predicting a Direct is like confessing your love in Valentines Day: you usually have high chances of getting screwed, no matter how many flagrant signs you had received for a success.

MikeH

Dec 3, 2018
I wonder, does it make sense to keep a Direct speculation thread open when we know that Nintendo has abandoned the idea of Directs?

It's pretty clear that Nintendo's only focus now is making Mario live action movies.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
While Three Houses is definitely better with the anime tropes it's still very tropey and if they made a fighting game it would most likely contain characters from all the games with great focus on the last few ones which especially contains Fates and Awakening because they were part of ehat put the series on the radar again.
And while I like Awakening (It's story isn't bad but also not very special) Fates has awful writing is the worst about stuff like this.
I was talking about the designs, I don't know if Gacha games have any kind of story, but the designs of most post-skip characters from 3H are quite good, and a huge step for the franchise (no more blue-haired lords, all 3 lords are quite different, most of characters have interesting desings IMO).

And for a fighting game, as we can expect a roster of 15-20 characters at the start (which is what I think is the most realistic for a new traditional game), I would like them to only feature the characters for the newest game (the next one if they ever do this), this way we can guarantee lots of different archetypes.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Nintendo has made Smash Bros a huge deal in all their marketing and it feels like they're kind of the Smash Bros company which is boring but people love it and who am I to complain

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Can't people, you know, be happy for each other when something gets announced which might excite other people?

Apparently I'm strange, but I'm so flabbergasted sometimes by how people can respond to something which they have no interest in, but feel the need to share how much they dislike the announcement. This always include broken arguments, but hey, its easy to spot who to ignore during discussions.

For example, I'm not a fan of Animal Crossing. If that game would receive future updates and would take up some Direct time, I'd completely understand because so many people love the franchise.

People are selfish, what's new?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo knows about the hype and frothing demand for a new Direct.

Which is why they will have a little surprise, a "one more thing" if you will...

It will be fireworks.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I mean there is nothing to discuss that hasn't been discussed to death and morale is low. Not to mention yesterday was Valentine's day.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is now a second page thread. Grats, everyone!

Only if you're one of the unlucky few that has a 50 thread limit. Ascend to the illuminati and set your pages to show 100 posts.

Less time clicking new pages mean more time reading the wonderful Direct posts of desperation here.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Someone should change the thread title to "Halo darkness my old friend" so I can be happy again.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Nintendo knows about the hype and frothing demand for a new Direct.

Which is why they will have a little surprise, a "one more thing" if you will...

It will be fireworks.

That one more thing will be a BOTW2 release date reveal, and it will be glorious.

Also, I'd expect to see Metroid V, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Party 2, and Monster Hunter Next get their reveals at E3. Doubt they'll show up here.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
That one more thing will be a BOTW2 release date reveal, and it will be glorious.

Also, I'd expect to see Metroid V, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Party 2, and Monster Hunter Next get their reveals at E3. Doubt they'll show up here.
Nah Metroid V will be in this direct, they need a core game in the line up
/s... but they have to right?

EliR

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
What's all this about Metroid V when they didn't show a single thing about Metroid Prime 4? Or is V supposed to be the 2D game?

Status
Not open for further replies.