• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
What's all this about Metroid V when they didn't show a single thing about Metroid Prime 4? Or is V supposed to be the 2D game?
Metroid 5 is the 2D game. And you don't need to use Roman numerals for the series. The games don't (except for II).

unknown.png

Metroid-Fusion-001.png

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If a new Mario Party isn't coming soon, then give me Fortune Street. Heck, I've been thinking of buying Monopoly on Switch to have something similar, is the Switch version still bad?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
My uncle works for the government and is a retired general, so trust me on this. I can't reveal any names due to privacy and safety concerns...

You know how Nintendo always talks about "6 month cycles" for their Directs? Well, this is just to create an illusion. Try to think back to the February 2019 Direct. It came out when a lot of you were younger, probably teenagers. And now we are on the verge of the first 2020 Direct being released. How does that make any sense?

February 2019
E3 2019
September 2019

That's 3

3x6 equals 18 months

Are most of you almost 18 months older then? No, I didn't think so. This proves the fact that the 6 month cycle is a lie. Same thing goes for the September Direct, just like the other Directs before it. It was released five months ago and Nintendo is already releasing the new Direct.

Why does any of this matter? Well, Nintendo has noticed that people are waking up to this massive lie, therefore they are keeping quiet about the Direct. You barely see any promotions and they have been pulling out of all Tweets. In their internal meetings, they have discussed how they need to keep it hush hush so that people don't take a step back and say "hey..wait a minute, if the new ones coming then how come my current Nintendo Direct is only in its 5th month?? What happened to the 6 month cycle??". This will hurt their brand image and ultimately stock.

I don't know how much time I'll have left after I hit the submit button, and mods will probably lock this thread since they are potentially in on this conspiracy, but I couldn't keep this secret any longer. Gamers must know...gamers must....RISE UP!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, the turnaround from the first teaser to any additional details was a lot faster for Bayonetta 2. It was revealed in September 2012, then mentioned in the January 2013 Direct, and finally the first gameplay reveal was shown at E3 2013 (with a playable demo too); with the final game releasing just over two years out from the original reveal, in September (JP) / October (rest of the world) 2014.

Bayonetta 3, on the other hand, was revealed over two years ago now and we still have no concrete details on it.
So much for using bayo 1 and 2 to hype up and market bayo 3. It could actually end up coming out over 3 years after those...maybe close to 4 potentially. And yet nintendo is sitting on prime trilogy.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Is Splatoon big enough for Nintendo to have a spin-off of the series as their holiday game?

To be or not to be? That is the question.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Nintendo has made Smash Bros a huge deal in all their marketing and it feels like they're kind of the Smash Bros company which is boring but people love it and who am I to complain

Nintendo said Smash DLC was a big part of their digital revenue, so as long as it's getting 2+ years of post-launch support, I'm sure it will remain a cornerstone of their marketing.

You might be in luck anyway if we're waiting until E3 for the next character reveal!

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Today I have been watching some gameplays of the new ArcSys game, Granblue Fantasy: Versus, and the slower (compared to other anime fighters) gameplay and focus on weapons made me realize that a game like this would be a perfect match for Fire Emblem, and I wonder if Nintendo is going to invest in traditional fighting games in the future.

ArcSys is developing/updating a lot of games at the same time now, and I'm sure Atlus is trying to get their P5 fighter, so I don't even think they're available, but I think Nintendo partnering with them in the future to create a FE traditional fighting game would be a really wise decision and would expand Nintendo's competitive scene a lot. It would also serve to have all the new FE characters in a game that is not Smash, which has been a big complaint from the Smash fanbase the last years.

Watching Versus this morning I realised how great a game that seems pretty fun could be if it had good characters, for some reason I don't feel them at all (random generic anime trops at their worst IMO), and it's not because I never played the phone game, I was impressed by most post timeskip designs in 3H before playing the game. Better characters also means more appeal, so lots of non-FE fans that simply love this kind of fighting games would also be interested and it has IMO the potential to be a really big game (maybe not as big as DBZ, but bigger than their original games or Versus).
I'm still surprised Granblue Versus isn't on Switch. I thought Arcsystemworks was doing pretty good with Switch support but I think I'll take that back between Granblue and Guilty Gear not coming to Switch.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I'm still surprised Granblue Versus isn't on Switch. I thought Arcsystemworks was doing pretty good with Switch support but I think I'll take that back between Granblue and Guilty Gear not coming to Switch.
GG i understand considering it looks fantastic and would be difficult to run on the Switch. GBV...there is no excuse buuuuuut i think it will be annouced in an ND...maybe with a Granblue Smash Reveal :D

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Man this thread slowed down... although I kind of like the more chill atmosphere. I guess we'll have to wait another day or two until the hype builds back up again.

On that note... if there's an Animal Crossing Direct next week, is it a lock to be announced on Tuesday morning, the same time as the Pokemon and Smash ones were announced? Because we could use that as a barometer of what's happening next week. If there's no announcement Tuesday, then it could be a General Direct announcement Wednesday. That's much less likely, and I am kind of leaning toward early march, but I can still have a sliver of hope!

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Man this thread slowed down... although I kind of like the more chill atmosphere. I guess we'll have to wait another day or two until the hype builds back up again.

On that note... if there's an Animal Crossing Direct next week, is it a lock to be announced on Tuesday morning, the same time as the Pokemon and Smash ones were announced? Because we could use that as a barometer of what's happening next week. If there's no announcement Tuesday, then it could be a General Direct announcement Wednesday. That's much less likely, and I am kind of leaning toward early march, but I can still have a sliver of hope!
I want the general asap, if you ask me lmao but yeah an announcement on Tuesday is the most likely if anything is happening

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My uncle works for the government and is a retired general, so trust me on this. I can't reveal any names due to privacy and safety concerns...

You know how Nintendo always talks about "6 month cycles" for their Directs? Well, this is just to create an illusion. Try to think back to the February 2019 Direct. It came out when a lot of you were younger, probably teenagers. And now we are on the verge of the first 2020 Direct being released. How does that make any sense?

February 2019
E3 2019
September 2019

That's 3

3x6 equals 18 months

Are most of you almost 18 months older then? No, I didn't think so. This proves the fact that the 6 month cycle is a lie. Same thing goes for the September Direct, just like the other Directs before it. It was released five months ago and Nintendo is already releasing the new Direct.

Why does any of this matter? Well, Nintendo has noticed that people are waking up to this massive lie, therefore they are keeping quiet about the Direct. You barely see any promotions and they have been pulling out of all Tweets. In their internal meetings, they have discussed how they need to keep it hush hush so that people don't take a step back and say "hey..wait a minute, if the new ones coming then how come my current Nintendo Direct is only in its 5th month?? What happened to the 6 month cycle??". This will hurt their brand image and ultimately stock.

I don't know how much time I'll have left after I hit the submit button, and mods will probably lock this thread since they are potentially in on this conspiracy, but I couldn't keep this secret any longer. Gamers must know...gamers must....RISE UP!

lol, quick on the copypasta. We need a wow:shadowlands alpha version of this now too

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
How does DBZ run? IIRC it's the same engine that GG and Versus use (so UE, which works on the Switch even if it has some limitations), but I would imagine that it was Bamco that was interested in the Switch port. AFAIK ArcSys is only porting their sprite-based games to the Switch, which are not that intensive and all of them are based on games that were running well on the Ps3/360. Same with most of their published (not developed) fighting games.

I think it's simply a matter of the ports being harder or more expensive to do, as they require further optimization, but if DBZ runs well enough the other games are not that different (talking about the older GG, the new one seems far more demanding).

..maybe with a Granblue Smash Reveal :D
Worst timeline, of all the 3rd party games we can have, Granblue doesn't seem a good option at all, the silly dragons of the silly Nintendo gacha are more probable IMO (both options are awful). I can't imagine them doing a 3rd party character that is another boring sword user, and tbh the designs for Granblue are even more boring than the main FE lords.

Last edited:

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
Aside from Paper Mario, the other Mario I'd like to see a return to (at least in remastered form) is Mario Sunshine. Oh the joy of chasing red coins in a bottle or bouncing on wires in the placid Noki Bay. Loved Sirene Beach as well and Pianta Village. This game really just nailed in me, a very specific & special feel that always comes through me when I play it. It feels like more than just nostalgia.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I think putting out a Splatoon 3 so close to Splatoon 2, unless it does more than minor iterations, isn't a great move.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Splatoon 2 is only 2.5 years old and still selling great isn't going away. Why would they already have 3 this year?
Yeah it is not selling like crazy like MK8DX but given the type of game, long legs are expected. Another Splatoon game with focus on the online? More servers? Yeah no, I dont think it is going to happen

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Aside from Paper Mario, the other Mario I'd like to see a return to (at least in remastered form) is Mario Sunshine. Oh the joy of chasing red coins in a bottle or bouncing on wires in the placid Noki Bay. Loved Sirene Beach as well and Pianta Village. This game really just nailed in me, a very specific & special feel that always comes through me when I play it. It feels like more than just nostalgia.

Yeh sunshine is my favourite 3D mario too, however I feel they need to do a Odyssey sequel first as the premise was good, there just wasn't enough worlds/world variety. I'd love a sunshine remaster as well though, or maybe go back to the sunshine style/world after Odyssey 2.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
A Splatoon spinoff is a necessity at this point, if Nintendo intends to go one main series entry per console instead of a yearly thing like CoD. Expand the IP and keep it relevant

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
How does DBZ run? IIRC it's the same engine that GG and Versus use (so UE, which works on the Switch even if it has some limitations), but I would imagine that it was Bamco that was interested in the Switch port. AFAIK ArcSys is only porting their sprite-based games to the Switch, which are not that intensive and all of them are based on games that were running well on the Ps3/360. Same with most of their published (not developed) fighting games.

I think it's simply a matter of the ports being harder or more expensive to do, as they require further optimization, but if DBZ runs well enough the other games are not that different.
Impressions seem positive from what I've read. Granblue seems closer to DBFZ than GG Strive in how demanding it is so I don't think Granblue Versus would run poorly on Switch if ASW decided to port it over.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

I think it's simply a matter of the ports being harder or more expensive to do, as they require further optimization, but if DBZ runs well enough the other games are not that different (talking about the older GG, the new one seems far more demanding).

Worst timeline, of all the 3rd party games we can have, Granblue doesn't seem a good option at all, the silly dragons of the silly Nintendo gacha are more probable IMO (both options are awful). I can't imagine them doing a 3rd party character that is another boring sword user, and tbh the designs for Granblue are even more boring than the main FE lords.
Dragon Ball FigherZ runs well. CyGames is the one that decides where Granblue is.

I don't see a late port impossible.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Btw, I discovered last night that P5 Scramble is 30 fps on Switch and 60 fps on PS4... What a letdown

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Impressions seem positive from what I've read. Granblue seems closer to DBFZ than GG Strive in how demanding it is so I don't think Granblue Versus would run poorly on Switch if ASW decided to port it over.
Dragon Ball FigherZ runs well. CyGames is the one that decides where Granblue is.

I don't see a late port impossible.
If DBZ runs well, there's always the possibility. Also Nintendo has been collaborating with the gacha guys (Dragalia whatever IIRC), so there shouldn't be any reason to not release the game on a system that sells well, Switch ports use to be late so I can see the game being announced and released soon.

Last edited:

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a Splatoon with an open-world that you can traverse by using ink and transformation powers.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Splatoon 2 is only 2.5 years old and still selling great isn't going away. Why would they already have 3 this year?

because its an online focused game and they stopped supporting it, you need a new one asap or people will move on something else (if they have not already).
also is definitely not selling great anymore, just 1,5m copies sold during 2019.
if activision can release a new call of duty game every year, I don't see why nintendo cant release a new splatoon every 3 years.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
because its an online focused game and they stopped supporting it. you need a new one asap or people will move on something else (if they have not already).
also is definitely not selling great anymore, just 1,5m copies sold during 2019.
if activision can release a new call of duty game every year, I don't see why nintendo cant release a new splatoon every 3 years.
Because nintendo isn't activision...clearly? They don't do stuff that way, and the game is still basically as active as ever. Even splatoon 1 had some moderate activity after 2 came out. They can easily have 3 be a switch 2 or whatever launch game.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Because nintendo isn't activision...clearly? They don't do stuff that way, and the game is still basically as active as ever. Even splatoon 1 had some moderate activity after 2 came out. They can easily have 3 be a switch 2 or whatever launch game.

activity doesnt mean shit, the community is dropping the game and you can see it with ease. there are too many shooters on the wild to sleep on this "we'll wait for the next console". nintendo can't think that way if they dont want the series to lost the momentum. kids who bought the game in 2017 will be adults in 2023 or 2024. you dont know if they will still be interested in a new splatoon game.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
activity doesnt mean shit, the community is dropping the game and you can see it with ease. there are too many shooters on the wild to sleep on this "we'll wait for the next console". nintendo can't think that way if they dont want the series to lost the momentum. kids who bought the game in 2017 will be adults in 2023 or 2024. you dont know if they will still be interested in a new splatoon game.
How do you know that the community is dropping the game? Genuinely asking, cause I can play whenever I want and that is all that matters to me.

Also, maybe Nintendo does not care if less people play the game. I mean, maybe they consider that they have already sold enough copies to make the development profitable. If it does not sold mountains for them maybe it is not a big deal. Maybe they want now to obtain benefits from the next Splatoon game.

I would love many many updates for Splatoon 2 of course, but remember that it is not Fornite to say, in which you have trillions of players and you need to update the game constantly and you make money from cosmetics. Nintendo is fully aware of this I think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.