• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
As someone who predownloaded AC on my Switch, I don't need a mini direct. It's animal crossing.....I know what to expect. I'm content finding out the new features as I play

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
I don't know. I'd rather have some surprises to a game than being spoonfed every single piece of info beforehand (see Pokémon). Of course the game is gonna have stores and stuff, it'd be asinine to take that out. The way they're gonna implement I'd rather not know.
There's emotes in the game, they're unlockables, but I don't want to know how to unlock them etc.
I'd say there's enough info at the moment for day one buyers. And the embargo lifts on Feb 20 so there's probably loads of impressions after that.
i'm less sure with how backwards nintendo can be. i love animal crossing new leaf but i'm not totally sold on new horizons yet, but i'm looking very forward to feb 20

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
The other thing is that New Horizons is so fundamentally different from past games. It takes such a dramatic lateral step that my first (disappointed) reaction was "it's a spinoff." I warmed to the game based on the assumption that over time you build up the island into one the lovely towns you used to live in in the games, but given that the most recent trailer opens with "Welcome to Deserted Island Life" and that emphasis, I may need to tone down that assumption.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly people treat the info we have as 'just knowing that it will take on an island' and nothing more ,and that's just not true.
Not much more than that. You brought up pokemon ironically, and sword and shueld barely showed anything before launch, including that stuff like the gts being dropped and other important things to know.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
As someone who predownloaded AC on my Switch, I don't need a mini direct. It's animal crossing.....I know what to expect. I'm content finding out the new features as I play
I just want to hear that music to new game play. They could literally release an hour long "ASMR" video of different villagers walking around and I'd go nuts.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
The E3 treehouse demo played like a tech demo, with things seemingly dropped in as a vertical slice (the emotes in particular seemed to just exist out of nowhere)

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
The other thing is that New Horizons is so fundamentally different from past games. It takes such a dramatic lateral step that my first (disappointed) reaction was "it's a spinoff." I warmed to the game based on the assumption that over time you build up the island into one the lovely towns you used to live in in the games, but given that the most recent trailer opens with "Welcome to Deserted Island Life" and that emphasis, I may need to tone down that assumption.
Nintendo is doing a shit job of marketing New Horizons, but you're going overboard on the hand wringing about it. Like...a lot.

Deleted member 53506

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
I know it's a meme now, but I don't understand how "this will take attention away from *other thing*" talking point is still genuinely used by some people after Nintendo announced freaking BotW2 at the E3 right before LA's release.
I'm also having trouble to understand this line of thinking. If I'm interested in a game and want to buy it, why would I all of a sudden be distracted enough by shiny shiny new announcements and decide to not buy it? Conversely, if I'm not gonna buy a game anyway because it doesn't seem appealing to me, I don't suddenly decide to buy it just because there's nothing else on the horizon.
And I doubt it effects people on the fence one way or the other either, but maybe I'm wrong.

EliR

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I think that if you're not hyped about New Horizons after even the first trailer then a direct won't do something extra.

Jan 5, 2018
There's loads of info on Animal Crossing.

lots of minutes of footage =/= lots of information. This would be the equivalent of Nintendo showing off an hour of footage from the cap kingdom that never shows off the capture mechanic or any enemies for Mario Odyssey. It's almost all literally from the the first day of gameplay.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Nintendo is doing a shit job of marketing New Horizons, but you're going overboard on the hand wringing about it. Like...a lot.
Based on nothing (which is basically what we have) many are assuming the game has plenty of content. I am assuming it MAY not. How is my line of thinking more foolish than assuming unshown features in a game that releases in a month?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think that if you're not hyped about New Horizons after even the first trailer then a direct won't do something extra.
Can you not understand what people are saying? This is shown to be pretty different than usual. On an island, crafting, etc. This doesn't look exactly like the first 4 games.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Rumor is the new baby will be a shadow drop

I want to put that gif of Melisandre giving birth to shadow Stannis but

A) probably NSFW
2) Honestly I would be making the first Game of Thrones reference I've seen since the tv series ended. Goddamn did they ever fuck up if it left the cultural zeitgeist that quick

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the thread's official pug when you need them

giphy.gif

EliR

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Can you not understand what people are saying? This is shown to be pretty different than usual. On an island, crafting, etc. This doesn't look exactly like the first 4 games.

Could you please not make implications about my understanding? That's pretty uncalled for and rude. Who are you to question my (lack of) intelligence?

I'm not stating anything in your second or third sentence. I am just saying that I think that if people are not hyped now, a direct won't change anything. Sure I want to know how the different mechanics and progressions work too but I don't personally want that info given to me because I want to find it out myself.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
To people who don't give a shit about Animal Crossing it's all the same. "Psssh, it's Animal Crossing, whaddya wanna know? That there are stores??"

yes, actually

but you guys are right that I'm about a week premature in questioning the game. Next week we'll probably know if the game has severe iron deficiency or is a twenty pounder

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Based on nothing (which is basically what we have) many are assuming the game has plenty of content. I am assuming it MAY not. How is my line of thinking more foolish than assuming unshown features in a game that releases in a month?
At some point, it's Animal Crossing. It's not going to somehow devolve to sub N64 levels of content.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Could you please not make implications about my understanding? That's pretty uncalled for.

I'm not stating anything in your second or third sentence. I am just saying that I think that if people are not hyped now, a direct won't change anything. Sure I want to know how the different mechanics and progressions work too but I don't personally want that info given to me because I want to find it out myself.
The trouble is that I don't want to know details either, I'm just very concerned that the dream I've developed of building a town to the level of past games isn't where the game's interests lie. If there were a "welcome to village life" trailer, tagline, or any marketing statement that implies that such an endgoal is part of the game, I'd breathe easy and cherish how little we know.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
At the very least we will be getting New Horizons information from CoroCoro later today or tomorrow. They said they had an "exclusive scoop" so I really hope it's something good.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The trouble is that I don't want to know details either, I'm just very concerned that the dream I've developed of building a town to the level of past games isn't where the game's interests lie. If there were a "welcome to village life" trailer, tagline, or any marketing statement that implies that such an endgoal is part of the game, I'd breathe easy and cherish how little we know.

Do you really think that's not how the game is going to end up? I can't imagine what you are picturing.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
Take that with a grain of salt. I have seen tons of times where they had a "scoop" for pokemon and it ended up being nothing.

Yeah I remember that happening recently as well, and it is disappointing. Trying not to hope for anything too big from this as I'm sure we are getting that AC direct next week, but even if it is just new villager renders or clothes being shown, at least it's something new 😅

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
You can have one game tomorrow. The options include....
  1. Animal Crossing New Horizons
  2. Breath of the Wild 2 (in it's fully completed state)
  3. Odyssey 2 (in it's fully completed state)
  4. Metroid V
  5. Traditional Paper Mario
What do you choose?

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
... Well, the Pokémon company isn't involved so that's probably a fine assumption. Even if it's just new leaf with a coat of paint, I wouldn't expect much of a step back from that game.
Yeah, at the very least we'll get something similar to previous games.
I mean nintendo has been known to totally change and take out aspecrs of old games that people liked in series.
Animal Crossing is one of their biggest series, they aren't going to sabotage it. Nintendo makes a lot of brain dead decisions, but destroying the core of Animal Crossing is some real "Nintendo is doomed" level of pessimism.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
They should close this thread once the final Direct of the year happens. Nothing good comes out of this thread and from Nintendo during that time period anyways.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
  4. Metroid V
What do you choose?
This is a seriously tough question. My mind is saying Breath of the Wild 2, but my heart is saying Odyssey 2.

Although, these long days at work are telling me Animal Crossing.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
Well yuoke you were right, the CoroCoro scans literally just came out for New Horizons and there's nothing new at all. Part of the "scoop" was that crafting is in the game.... I feel dumb for thinking they would have anything new lol

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
  4. Metroid V
What do you choose?

Traditional Paper Mario. Only because that's the one I believe is least likely to happen in my lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.