• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'm still waiting on DQ Heroes to be localized outsider of Japan (like it already is on PC and PS4) because I know no Japanese.
Yeah, it sucks. And the case of Persona 5 Scramble, the game is pretty story-focused, so it is a total suicide to buy it in Japanese without knowing a word in the language. I am playing the demo and I love what I see, hear and play, but I can´t progress more because I don´t understand anything :( I really hope the game is localized someday.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I completely disappointed... it's been passed 163 days since the last general direct, in which there wasn't NOTHING to special. They didn't announce ANYTHING on the 2019 GOTY. We hoped for a direct on january but we got just pokemon, and smash AGAIN ( the funny thing of that is half of the people wanted just to see the last smash fighter, and then nothing else). On february we have hoped for a direct, most of us (including me) were sure of that, but nintendo didn't announce NOTHING, and you know what? I'm pretty sure that the next week we will have just a f*ck**g Ac direct and nothing else. I completely shocked, people say that we need to chill out, it will happen when it will be the time... We have waited for 2 months with just hope and hype never repaid back. I will wait untill they will show the direct, but for now I'm literally disappointed on Nintendo.
I was like you some days ago but believe me it is not worth it. Nintendo will do whatever they want, whenever they want so there is no point in waiting so impatiently and counting every second. Try to forget about Directs for a while, and play some games in the meantime mate.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I was like you some days ago but believe me it is not worth it. Nintendo will do whatever they want, whenever they want so there is no point in waiting so impatiently and counting every second. Try to forget about Directs for a while, and play some games in the meantime mate.
I kind of wish zippo didn't bring up classic paper mario and metroid 5. I didn't even think about directs up until around then, and now I can't stop thinking about it.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after being deprived of a Direct, is not going to want to purchase Animal Crossing, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and release the Snyder Cut 90 minute Nintendo Direct or you can kiss your business goodbye.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I really hope the game is localized someday.
Of course it will.
Atlus just sucks at localization.
Not just for the time between Japanese and western release. But Persona 5 Royal is the first Persona ever that will have french, spanish and german texts. Like wtf. Imagine releasing in 2017 maybe the most important JRPG of the gen, and you decide to just localize it in english like if it was still 1995.
Persona 5 Scramble will obviously come, Persona has become a phenomenon in the west. But it might not be before fall 2020.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after being deprived of a Direct, is not going to want to purchase Animal Crossing, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and release the Snyder Cut 90 minute Nintendo Direct or you can kiss your business goodbye.
....This is a take for sure.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I kind of wish zippo didn't bring up classic paper mario and metroid 5. I didn't even think about directs up until around then, and now I can't stop thinking about it.
Yeah, for me those hints and comments from insiders are totally a bittersweet bite. On one hand, I obviously get hyped and happy but on the other hand, having no official confirmation in day after day is a real pain in the ass.

Last edited:

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

Epic stuff

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This reads like something you'd see back at the old site circa July 14, 2008

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
Would be way more interesting if they would really start when enough people tune in but chat before that and maybe share some tips and tricks.

Great combo with a sale or updates, greater combo with being influenced by the above.

"We'd also like to remind you of ARMS. There's no update or anything, but I asked Stan, who tuned in first, which old title we should highlight and he picked ARMS."

I can see, basically, two options. Option one is that DLC isn't taking all of Sakurai's work time, so the "next" project is actually concurrent with Fighters Passes, in which case we definitely could see it on the Switch, unless it's huge. Option two is that DLC is taking all of his time; in this case, it's impossible unless Switch gets, like, DS tier lifetime, and the next project is probably the "reconceptualized Smash".

In case of option one, it's generally hard to predict Sakurai given his supposed dislike of sequels, but I would guess he would want to tackle a genre which he didn't really mess with before too much. So not a fighting game, not a platformer, not an arcade puzzler, not a rail shooter or TPS or FPS (since it's close to TPS). Did he ever make an outright RPG? I'm afraid he could go for an RPG.
They could give away games to the first 1000 viewers (but the entire families of those joining first would be the only ones getting the games)

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, Lintemuth is new here. The footshot rant is the first copypasta I actually saw used as a copypasta, it's kinda synonymous with the term to me.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Of course it will.
Atlus just sucks at localization.
Not just for the time between Japanese and western release. But Persona 5 Royal is the first Persona ever that will have french, spanish and german texts. Like wtf. Imagine releasing in 2017 maybe the most important JRPG of the gen, and you decide to just localize it in english like if it was still 1995.
Persona 5 Scramble will obviously come, Persona has become a phenomenon in the west. But it might not be before fall 2020.
Well, I will be happy with the game having texts in English (that is not my mother tongue). I am a little scared with this one cause it seems kinda niche in my opinion, being a musou of a series that, as you say, is just about to have its first game with texts in other languages apart from english.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Takahashi at a grocery store in Japan yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"
I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
....This is a take for sure.
Lintemuth just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about resetera culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on reddit where you can become successful by posting fresh memes. If you don't know the classics on Era, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Okay, Lintemuth is new here. The footshot rant is the first copypasta I actually saw used as a copypasta, it's kinda synonymous with the term to me.
it's kinda funny to me because I'm 19, only two years older, but I started lurking on GAF when I was like 13 so I know a bunch of the memes

I remember blame space's TV, for instance

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw Takahashi at a grocery store in Japan yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"
I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

LMAO

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
The problem with not knowing when the Direct will happen is I have no idea which afternoon to take off work now lmao, and a day or two days notice is usually too little

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017

A classic returns.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I mean that will be an issue regardless of when the direct is. Even if insiders actually tease, it's a few days before.
With King Zell it was much before. Also if Zippo was correct (which of course he still could be), I thought the 13th was the most likely after we didn't get an announcement during the week of the 6th.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
At you played the greatest game ever made.

Too bad you played one of the weakest with Metroid Fusion. That game needs a Sequel the most or remake.
Fusion one of the weakest? I'll have none of that in here thank you very much. Got the horror elements better than any Metroid. Sure the navigation was stunting so the exploration suffered, but the challenge sure didn't.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Fusion one of the weakest? I'll have none of that in here thank you very much. Got the horror elements better than any Metroid. Sure the navigation was stunting so the exploration suffered, but the challenge sure didn't.
Metroid isn't really about horror though, imo. It was cool for one game, but it's not what metroid should be in general to me.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, could you please explain what unix has to do with Super Metroid?
tenor.gif

Plum

May 31, 2018
Dropping in just to post a hot-take from the Controversial Video Game Opinions thread:

As someone who stuck with Nintendo throughout the Wii U/3DS years Switch-era Nintendo has mostly turned out to be a dud for me. There are so few shining examples of great original content and, despite having the capacity to do so, Nintendo seems more afraid of taking risks than ever.

Every Direct is less "look at these new ideas and games!" and more "look at all these old games that aren't going to be getting a new instalment any time soon." and right now it seems like they're coasting on Smash DLC and the tiny amount of sequels that have been dangling over our heads for years.

That we're in the middle of the generation and Nintendo has to headline a Direct with a Wii Remaster is just pitiful tbh; people shouldn't have to resort to constant list wars and empty promises of future content to shut down criticisms of the console's lineup

And I'm not really posting it here to court controversy, but because that's how I genuinely feel right now and it's why I'm so invested in what this eventual Direct actually shows us. It's a reason for why I'm quite frustrated with the silent streak Nintendo's on right now; I want to feel the excitement of 2017 again but I simply can't, and only Nintendo can change that.

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
how does it feel not being unix-like in 2020, AND preferring the prospect of a remake of a perfect game to the potential for a new one
I mean maybe after metroid 5, but it's been almost 2 decades. I just don't want to wait for them to remake every game first.

When I was young my mother gifted me Super Metroid. I've very great memories about Super Metroid and it's still one of my favorite games until today. And because the Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake turned out to be great, I thought Nintendo could do a great Remake of Super Metroid. I would just love to see my favorite game reimaged on the Nintendo Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.