• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Dropping in just to post a hot-take from the Controversial Video Game Opinions thread:

And I'm not really posting it here to court controversy, but because that's how I genuinely feel right now and it's why I'm so invested in what this eventual Direct actually shows us. It's a reason for why I'm quite frustrated with the silent streak Nintendo's on right now; I want to feel the excitement of 2017 again but I simply can't, and only Nintendo can change that.
Almost like smash DLC is for one of the most legendary games ever. Every Direct has plenty of new ideas and plenty of old ones re-imagined, because people want both.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Dropping in just to post a hot-take from the Controversial Video Game Opinions thread:

And I'm not really posting it here to court controversy, but because that's how I genuinely feel right now and it's why I'm so invested in what this eventual Direct actually shows us. It's a reason for why I'm quite frustrated with the silent streak Nintendo's on right now; I want to feel the excitement of 2017 again but I simply can't, and only Nintendo can change that.
I think I agree with this. I had so much hope for the future in 2017 that quickly fell apart in 2018. Now somehow I'm feeling my hope deteriorate again.

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I think I agree with this. I had so much hope for the future in 2017 that quickly fell apart in 2018. Now somehow I'm feeling my hope deteriorate again.
If the 2018-2019 Nintendo games haven't done it for you then you have very specific tastes. Which is fine but these last two years have been absolute bangers.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

I mean I pretty much agree. If it wasn't for odyssey showing a creative side back in mario or prime 4 being announced, it would be rough to me. I have some hope because of rumored/likely things, but it hasn't shaped up that great.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
If the 2018-2019 Nintendo games haven't done it for you then you have very specific tastes. Which is fine but these last two years have been absolute bangers.
they've been bangers for Smash fans and people who didn't have Wii U

edit: ehhhh I don't like getting a whole bunch of notifications that are just "you're wrong, dipshit," so I'll go ahead and recant my statement here.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
Almost like smash DLC is for one of the most legendary games ever. Every Direct has plenty of new ideas and plenty of old ones re-imagined, because people want both.

If people want to be fine with Smash DLC taking up so many big announcement slots then that's great, and if people are OK with what we do get then that's great as well. The thing about a personal opinion post is that it's an opinion and not a declaration on what I believe to be the guaranteed 'facts' of this generation.

I mean the fact that you had to go straight to condescending towards me (and then towards Raccoon) should show you that, maybe, something's up and that the Switch may not be 100% amazing for everyone.

I think I agree with this. I had so much hope for the future in 2017 that quickly fell apart. Now somehow I'm feeling my hope deteriorate again.

Yeah, I feel like I should still keep giving Nintendo more chances but it's definitely getting hard. Maybe next generation when they can't rely so heavily on Wii U-era Nintendo will be the one where the whole "Unified Development," thing finally starts to shine. Right now it just feels like, outside of the few inevitable 3DS franchises (Fire Emblem, Pokemon), the Switch is just a mediocre home console instead of a genuine joining together of Nintendo's two older divisions.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. We have seen some big risks this switch Era from Nintendo.

might just be specific tastes since there's still areas Nintendo hasn't covered

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
The most fun I've had in 2018 and 2019 on Switch has been playing indies and third party stuff, plus the NSO games. Nintendo's released good stuff but nothing earth-shattering since Odyssey.

edit: as much as I've fretted about it Animal Crossing will no doubt be the biggest Switch game for me since October 2017

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Metroid isn't really about horror though, imo. It was cool for one game, but it's not what metroid should be in general to me.
Given the series is inspired by Alien I think the horror elements are pretty important. One of the strongest parts of Prime 3 was the GFS Valhalla (still gutted there wasn't a proper boss there), frankly Metroid needs more horror.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
giphy.gif

Samus is as confused as us rn

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
they've been bangers for Smash fans and people who didn't have Wii U's
2019 Original Release: Luigi's Mansion 3, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, Mario Maker 2, MUA3, Link's Awakening, Yoshi's Crafted World, DxM, Tetris 99, and Pokemon
2019 Wii U Ports: NSMBU Deluxe.

Games may not be to your preference, but 2019 was far from a Wii U or purely Smash focused year.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Link's Awakening needed a remake

Super Metroid is still just as good as it ever was

Links Awakening remake was a like for like translation with a new art style. The old game had a solid looking GBC version as well - not far off visually from Super Metroid. They didn't overhaul any archaic design choices - the biggest change was more buttons to map actions to.

I don't see how it had any greater need for this type of remake than Super Metroid.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Given the series is inspired by Alien I think the horror elements are pretty important. One of the strongest parts of Prime 3 was the GFS Valhalla (still gutted there wasn't a proper boss there), frankly Metroid needs more horror.
That was the basic inspiration, but a key difference is that samus would be like if ripley was in the machine the whole time. It's hard to make things scary when Samus makes the space pirates themselves scared. In prime 1, they all get prepared for to come and call her the hunter. It only works in fusion because you literally are running from a full powered up samus clone.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Links Awakening remake was a like for like translation with a new art style. The old game had a solid looking GBC version as well - not far off visually from Super Metroid. They didn't overhaul any archaic design choices - the biggest change was more buttons to map actions to.

I don't see how it had any greater need for this type of remake than Super Metroid.
having dedicated sword and shield buttons is more than reason enough for a remake

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The only way I can really see being disappointed with the Switch's output so far is if you wanted a bunch of great and creative new IPs. Most of Nintendo's big franchises have put out great games, with the arguable exception of a few like Kirby and Pokemon, and some franchises that are still waiting like Donkey Kong and Metroid.

It's still only three years into its life cycle, so hopefully this next Direct has a lot to show up.

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
If people want to be fine with Smash DLC taking up so many big announcement slots then that's great, and if people are OK with what we do get then that's great as well. The thing about a personal opinion post is that it's an opinion and not a declaration on what I believe to be the guaranteed 'facts' of this generation.

I mean the fact that you had to go straight to condescending towards me (and then towards Raccoon) should show you that, maybe, something's up and that the Switch may not be 100% amazing for everyone.

Yeah, I feel like I should still keep giving Nintendo more chances but it's definitely getting hard. Maybe next generation when they can't rely so heavily on Wii U-era Nintendo will be the one where the whole "Unified Development," thing finally starts to shine. Right now it just feels like, outside of the few inevitable 3DS franchises (Fire Emblem, Pokemon), the Switch is just a mediocre home console instead of a genuine joining together of Nintendo's two older divisions.
I realize it's not 100% amazing for everyone, nothing will be. But looking objectively at sales, the switch is absolutely killing it software wise. Not sure where you're getting your "mediocre home console" conclusion from.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
2019 Original Release: Luigi's Mansion 3, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, Mario Maker 2, MUA3, Link's Awakening, Yoshi's Crafted World, DxM, Tetris 99, and Pokemon
2019 Wii U Ports: NSMBU Deluxe.

Games may not be to your preference, but 2019 was far from a Wii U or purely Smash focused year.
Y'know, I forgot about Tetris 99.

okay 2019 was a banger

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Astral Chain is less than 6 months old and is 100% a big console game and is probably better than any Wii U game

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The only way I can really see being disappointed with the Switch's output so far is if you wanted a bunch of great and creative new IPs. Most of Nintendo's big franchises have put out great games, with the arguable exception of a few like Kirby and Pokemon, and some franchises that are still waiting like Donkey Kong and Metroid.

It's still only three years into its life cycle, so hopefully this next Direct has a lot to show up.
I fall right into that group, lol. I want dk and metroid (and paper mario...real paper mario) the most. And pokemon couldn't have been more disappointing. Kirby also to an extent coming off one of the most creative games in the series with robobot.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
2019 was pretty good yeah. I spent two vouchers : Astral Chain, Mario Maker 2, Links Awakening, Luigis Mansion 3.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I'll say it.

I really like Super Mario Party. And would like a sequel lol.

perfect game to play with my cousins. Kids are better at the motion controls games then me lol

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I thought we'd get something new on the level of ARMS every year for some reason. I'm just a smooth brain

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I fall right into that group, lol. I want dk and metroid (and paper mario...real paper mario) the most. And pokemon couldn't have been more disappointing. Kirby also to an extent coming off one of the most creative games in the series with robobot.

Lack of DK is definitely really disappointing and my biggest complaint with the Switch so far. Pokemon is disappointing but has been on the downward trajectory for a while, so not necessarily the Switch's fault specifically. If we can get DK and a real Paper Mario game, I'll have just about all my personal bases covered.

With Kirby, I'm hopeful we'll get a better game before we move onto the next console.

But between Smash Ultimate, Odyssey, Breath Of The Wild, and Mario Maker 2, I'm really content with the system's first party output, I've put hundreds of hours into all those games combined. And I know there are great games like Splatoon 2 and Three Houses that even if they aren't for me, make the fans of those series happy. I'm pretty confident when the Switch is all said and done, it'll have my favorite first party output of any Nintendo system.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of DK is definitely really disappointing and my biggest complaint with the Switch so far. Pokemon is disappointing but has been on the downward trajectory for a while, so not necessarily the Switch's fault specifically. If we can get DK and a real Paper Mario game, I'll have just about all my personal bases covered.

With Kirby, I'm hopeful we'll get a better game before we move onto the next console.

But between Smash Ultimate, Odyssey, Breath Of The Wild, and Mario Maker 2, I'm really content with the system's first party output, I've put hundreds of hours into all those games combined. And I know there are great games like Splatoon 2 and Three Houses that even if they aren't for me, make the fans of those series happy. I'm pretty confident when the Switch is all said and done, it'll have my favorite first party output of any Nintendo system.
That's fair. The gamecube still stands at the top right now for me. If we end up having prime 4(that is hopefully great)and prime trilogy hd and metroid 5....and at least one new good dk, and a return of classic paper mario, and hopefully a better kirby, plus probably odyssey 2, and some other stuff, it could maybe go up higher for me. As of now, I don't have it above the wii or gamecube or snes.

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Oh yeah Ring Fit too, I completely forgot that was last year as well. 2019 was legit bonkers

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't know. We have seen some big risks this switch Era from Nintendo.

might just be specific tastes since there's still areas Nintendo hasn't covered

What big risks have Nintendo taken past 2017? We've had Labo, which failed, and Ring Fit Adventure, which definitely succeeded, but in terms of 'proper' (for lack of a better term) games we haven't had anything near the level of creativity shown by Nintendo in the Wii U era. I mean look at E3 2014 where, in a single conference, Nintendo had:

1) A unique new toy range (Amiibo)
2) The return of an old franchise with a genuinely unique art-style (Yoshi)
3) The reveal of a new entirely open-world Zelda game
4) An exclusive sequel to a cult-classic action game (Bayo 2)
5) A unique third-party crossover title (Hyrule Warriors)
6) A sequel to a niche DS game with a genuinely unique art-style (Kirby)
7) A massive open-world JRPG that seemed like a massive leap over its predecessor (Xenoblade X)
8) A Mario level-creation game we'd been wanting since forever
9) A completely brand new IP

And of course that's on top of all the 3DS stuff that wasn't shown there. Yes, in terms of unique titles the objective number is still similar, but I'm referring to more the subjective feeling surrounding those titles instead of simply 'how many there are'. There was just more that I felt genuine excitement for then that there is now.

Now don't get me wrong:

2019 WAS A GOOD YEAR

But it wasn't an exciting year for me. It just felt like Nintendo was going through the motions and the 'spark' that I felt during 2017 was pretty much completely gone. Yes, Luigi's Mansion 3, Astral Chain, etc were great games but now that the year is over I doubt I'll ever think of them that much any more. That isn't because "I HaVE VeRY SpECiFic TAsTes" it's because that's simply how I feel about what Nintendo is putting out nowadays. If the rumours are true and the next Direct's headline titles are genuinely just a Paper Mario remake and a Samus Returns-esque Metroid game then that feeling will still hold true.

I realize it's not 100% amazing for everyone, nothing will be. But looking objectively at sales, the switch is absolutely killing it software wise. Not sure where you're getting your "mediocre home console" conclusion from.

If you look objectively at sales then the Kinect was one of the greatest peripherals of our time and the Wii U/Vita were awful failures. Sales mean nothing when it comes to personal opinions.

I thought we'd get something new on the level of ARMS every year for some reason. I'm just a smooth brain

Nah, you just have an opinion. Don't let people make you think you're stupid for not sharing their opinion.

Bit of a tangent but it's why I hate list wars so much. They're based around this ridiculous notion that others are just too braindead to know about the same games we all know about and just try to make people like you feel like they're somehow 'wrong' for not being entirely positive about something.

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Now don't get me wrong:

2019 WAS A GOOD YEAR

But it wasn't an exciting year for me. It just felt like Nintendo was going through the motions and the 'spark' that I felt during 2017 was pretty much completely gone. Yes, Luigi's Mansion 3, Astral Chain, etc were great games but now that the year is over I doubt I'll ever think of them that much any more. That isn't because "I HaVE VeRY SpECiFic TAsTes" it's because that's simply how I feel about what Nintendo is putting out nowadays. If the rumours are true and the next Direct's headline titles are genuinely just a Paper Mario remake and a Samus Returns-esque Metroid game then that feeling will still hold true.
But it is because you have specific tastes, or else the software sales wouldn't be what they are. Nothing wrong with that.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
That's fair. The gamecube still stands at the top right now for me. If we end up having prime 4(that is hopefully great)and prime trilogy hd and metroid 5....and at least one new good dk, and a return of classic paper mario, and hopefully a better kirby, plus probably odyssey 2, and some other stuff, it could maybe go up higher for me. As of now, I don't have it above the wii or gamecube or snes.

For first party games...

SNES => N64 > (Switch) > Wii > GameCube > Wii U > NES

SNES/N64 is close for me, if we're counting the Rare games, but the SNES library is just so huge and has some of the best games of almost every Nintendo series there, so it's hard to not hold it in high esteem. Give me a great new DK game, a great traditional Paper Mario, and BOTW2, and I can see Switch going to the top.

Is it cheating to consider Twilight Princess a GameCube game but Breath Of The Wild a Switch game? That's how I played them anyway. If BOTW counts as a Wii U game, despite me never playing it on Wii U, I might rank it above GameCube. But I've lamented enough about how the GameCube wasn't that great for me (Wii U would have overtaken if it didn't limp its way to the finish line).

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
That was the basic inspiration, but a key difference is that samus would be like if ripley was in the machine the whole time. It's hard to make things scary when Samus makes the space pirates themselves scared. In prime 1, they all get prepared for to come and call her the hunter. It only works in fusion because you literally are running from a full powered up samus clone.
For one the space pirates aren't really the xenomorph analogue in this equation, but also the Phazon Mines had a fair amount of terror as did other parts of Prime 1. Also the OP exosuit analogy doesn't apply that often, there's frequent difficulty spikes throughout the games that make you underpowered until you find the upgrade that makes the area survivable.
There are plenty of ways to add horror to the games, Prime 2 comes very close to Fusion with its oppressive dark world and eldritch enemies, even Zero Mission had the zero suit section.
I didnt mean to imply there wasn't horror in the other games, just that Fusion did it best and I'd like to see even more in the upcoming games.

Status
Not open for further replies.