• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinly think 2019 was better than 2017. Out of all the games from 2017, only BotW, Odyssey and XBC2 were interesting to me. And I only really liked the latter two (pls don't kill me BotW stans...).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
For first party games...

SNES => N64 > (Switch) > Wii > GameCube > Wii U > NES

SNES/N64 is close for me, if we're counting the Rare games, but the SNES library is just so huge and has some of the best games of almost every Nintendo series there, so it's hard to not hold it in high esteem. Give me a great new DK game, a great traditional Paper Mario, and BOTW2, and I can see Switch going to the top.

Is it cheating to consider Twilight Princess a GameCube game but Breath Of The Wild a Switch game? That's how I played them anyway. If BOTW counts as a Wii U game, despite me never playing it on Wii U, I might rank it above GameCube. But I've lamented enough about how the GameCube wasn't that great for me (Wii U would have overtaken if it didn't limp its way to the finish line).
You can count them either way I guess. I would just say both games are crossgen personally. I'm also in the extreme minority disappointed by botw. The gamecube just had so much for me personally and for what my tastes are and was like the planets aligning.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
I'll say it.

I really like Super Mario Party. And would like a sequel lol.

perfect game to play with my cousins. Kids are better at the motion controls games then me lol
Super Mario Party was great, best Mario Party since about 5 imo, but it really could have done with an extra board or two, included or DLC.

Side note, it's funny that people dismissed SMP DLC a lot quicker than Mario Kart 8 DLC

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I genuinly think 2019 was better than 2017. Out of all the games from 2017, only BotW, Odyssey and XBC2 were interesting to me. And I only really liked the latter two (pls don't kill me BotW stans...).
I agree in terms of volume for sure. Botw is still tied for my favorite switch game though and I think I liked Oddysey a bit more than Astral chain, so that evens it out a bit.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You can't seriously expect Nintendo to take big risks all the time. They are a business and they need to make money so they'll make games that the majority will buy and enjoy rather than cater to the minority who are hardcore fans.

Games take more time and are far more expensive to make than at any other time, people just have to be patient or play one of the other many thousands of games on the system.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
For one the space pirates aren't really the xenomorph analogue in this equation, but also the Phazon Mines had a fair amount of terror as did other parts of Prime 1. Also the OP exosuit analogy doesn't apply that often, there's frequent difficulty spikes throughout the games that make you underpowered until you find the upgrade that makes the area survivable.
There are plenty of ways to add horror to the games, Prime 2 comes very close to Fusion with its oppressive dark world and eldritch enemies, even Zero Mission had the zero suit section.
I didnt mean to imply there wasn't horror in the other games, just that Fusion did it best and I'd like to see even more in the upcoming games.
That's fair. To me metroid still ultimately revolves around the atmosphere and isolation and eerieness and not as much horror. I know most of the games have some parts that are a little scarier, bit that also makes those parts better. For most of the games, it feels more about the mood. Prime 2 is extremely tense and the most rough atmosphere, but still kept to feeling like just this alien world that you deal with.

Plum

May 31, 2018
But it is because you have specific tastes, or else the software sales wouldn't be what they are. Nothing wrong with that.

I literally refuted this argument in the exact same post you're quoting lol

Sales mean nothing when it comes to discussions like these.

For one the space pirates aren't really the xenomorph analogue in this equation, but also the Phazon Mines had a fair amount of terror as did other parts of Prime 1. Also the OP exosuit analogy doesn't apply that often, there's frequent difficulty spikes throughout the games that make you underpowered until you find the upgrade that makes the area survivable.
There are plenty of ways to add horror to the games, Prime 2 comes very close to Fusion with its oppressive dark world and eldritch enemies, even Zero Mission had the zero suit section.
I didnt mean to imply there wasn't horror in the other games, just that Fusion did it best and I'd like to see even more in the upcoming games.

Personally I just want Metroid to feel 'cool' again. Samus Returns lacked any sort of personality beyond "this is what a 3DS Metroid game would look like," and that just doesn't inspire anything in me. The franchise needs to evolve like Zelda and Mario have.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I literally refuted this argument in the exact same post you're quoting lol

Personally I just want Metroid to feel 'cool' again. Samus Returns lacked any sort of personality beyond "this is what a 3DS Metroid game would look like," and that just doesn't inspire anything in me. The franchise needs to evolve like Zelda and Mario have.
I mean being a remake is a big part of that. And expect prime 4 to be closer to that evolution than metroid 5. Prime 4 will be the big 3d aaa one and have more pressure on it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
You can't seriously expect Nintendo to take big risks all the time. They are a business and they need to make money so they'll make games that the majority will buy and enjoy rather than cater to the minority who are hardcore fans.

Games take more time and are far more expensive to make than at any other time, people just have to be patient or play one of the other many thousands of games on the system.

Who "seriously" said that? Nobody's expecting a Breath of the Wild-tier upheaval with every single new instalment in a Switch franchise.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I would Hope that at Least BOTW 2 can match the Voice Acting of Fire Embelm Echos and Fire Emblem Three Houses, a Nintendo Series that's budget is muuuuch lower.

Gimme a story trailer

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
2017 was a top 3 year for gaming in general, and the Switch was a big reason for that.

You can count them either way I guess. I would just say both games are crossgen personally. I'm also in the extreme minority disappointed by botw. The gamecube just had so much for me personally and for what my tastes are and was like the planets aligning.

That's fair. Outside of Thousand Year Door, Twilight Princess, and Melee, I don't love any of the first party GameCube games, really. I like some things about Wind Waker and Sunshine, other things I find really frustrating. Double Dash is kind of middling as far as Mario Kart goes, Jungle Beat is okay to play once but I didn't ever want to replay it, Air Ride was disappointing and there wasn't a platforming Kirby game, I don't like FPS games so that rules out Prime...it was a rough console for me. Not bad by any means, but overall on the underwhelming side of things.

Now, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, woo boy, the hours I put into that game...

Last edited:

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Sales mean everything at all times. Unless you want Nintendo to go the way of Sega?

Who "seriously" said that? Nobody's expecting a Breath of the Wild-tier upheaval with every single new instalment in a Switch franchise.

Then I'm not sure I understand what you want. Nintendo take more risks than Sony or Microsoft. Every company has to have their money-generating franchises that don't change much and any change that does happen takes time and money. The Switch isn't even 3 years old yet, patience is key.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW has a story too. You (Link) just were asleep when it happened.

personally I really like that approach.The series kinda needed a more laid back way of telling you stuff. I think the Memories was a good concept that could've been executed much better.
If you could actually play out the memories, it would help a lot more. They are just these short cutscenes of awkward stuff happening and link usually just staring or looking surprised when zelda or a champion talks.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I mean being a remake is a big part of that. And expect prime 4 to be closer to that evolution than metroid 5. Prime 4 will be the big 3d aaa one and have more pressure on it.

It being a remake didn't mean it had to adhere to the aesthetics of the old game. REMake, REMake 2, FFVIIr, and even stuff like Crash Team Racing shows that you can remake an older title whilst still having an art-style that feels modern and cool instead of, well, old.

Basically I just hope that Nintendo realises that they can be a bit more 'risque' with Metroid in the same way they did for Zelda and Mario. If Zelda can have cutting-edge open world gameplay, voice acting and a post-apocalyptic story and if Mario can have unique worlds, lyrical big-band jazz and Lovecraftian posessions then Metroid can have something cool and new as well.

Sales mean everything at all times. Unless you want Nintendo to go the way of Sega?

giphy.gif

Yeah I honestly can't continue after a statement like this one.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only way I can really see being disappointed with the Switch's output so far is if you wanted a bunch of great and creative new IPs. Most of Nintendo's big franchises have put out great games, with the arguable exception of a few like Kirby and Pokemon, and some franchises that are still waiting like Donkey Kong and Metroid.

It's still only three years into its life cycle, so hopefully this next Direct has a lot to show up.
Controversial opinion time. Kirby Star Allies is far better than BoTW, the Link's Awakening remake, and Mario Odyssey.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
That's fair. To me metroid still ultimately revolves around the atmosphere and isolation and eerieness and not as much horror. I know most of the games have some parts that are a little scarier, bit that also makes those parts better. For most of the games, it feels more about the mood. Prime 2 is extremely tense and the most rough atmosphere, but still kept to feeling like just this alien world that you deal with.
That's also fair. Ideally there's a good balance of all of those, which I think Samus Returns and a large part of Prime 3 neglected to do.

I agree that Samus Returns was a bit too safe, but I have no doubt Prime 4 will blow people away and I want to believe that 5 will do too.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It being a remake didn't mean it had to adhere to the aesthetics of the old game. REMake, REMake 2, FFVIIr, and even stuff like Crash Team Racing shows that you can remake an older title whilst still having an art-style that feels modern and cool instead of, well, old.

Basically I just hope that Nintendo realises that they can be a bit more 'risque' with Metroid in the same way they did for Zelda and Mario. If Zelda can have cutting-edge open world gameplay, voice acting and a post-apocalyptic story and if Mario can have unique worlds, lyrical big-band jazz and Lovecraftian posessions then Metroid can have something cool and new as well.
Well I kind of agree, but again, that is more suited to prime. Samus returns was never going to be super bold or ambitious, being a remake of a 91 game and from mercury steam, late into the 3ds. I think metroid 5 has more potential now, but it won't be anything crazy. Plus you have to remember that metroid hasn't been in a mario or zelda scenario. They tried an...erm...ambitious game with other m and it setback the franchise basically a decade. They have had to bring back the series to it roots to a good extent. Zelda had the issue of not changing anything drastic outside of artstyle since alttp. 3d mario always drastically changes every few games.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Controversial opinion time. Kirby Star Allies is far better than BoTW, the Link's Awakening remake, and Mario Odyssey.

That is certainly on opinion posted on a video game forum!

I haven't played the Link's Awakening remake, so I can't speak to that. I only played a little bit of Star Allies, it was fine, just sort of standard Kirby stuff, which is disappointing after Robobot was so creative and inspired.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Ah so you are going to argue in bad faith. Perhaps you want to explain yourself and why I am so ridiculously wrong with my statement instead of using a dumb gif?
I'll give the assist. It's because here we're fans of games, talking about games we like. We are not shareholders. We cannot account for business constantly, and to do so denies us of our ability to enjoy the games as they are.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'll give the assist. It's because here we're fans of games, talking about games we like. We are not shareholders. We cannot account for business constantly, and to do so denies us of our ability to enjoy the games as they are.

You are still a stakeholder, so you should have an interest in the money that Nintendo makes because it then means they can make the games that you love.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I've only ever played Star Allies at my friend's place but being able to play as Marx makes it a pretty fantastic Kirby game.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I agree that Samus Returns was a bit too safe, but I have no doubt Prime 4 will blow people away and I want to believe that 5 will do too.
Well I kind of agree, but again, that is more suited to prime. Samus returns was never going to be super bold or ambitious, being a remake of a 91 game and from mercury steam, late into the 3ds. I think metroid 5 has more potential now, but it won't be anythint crazy. Plis you havr to remember that metroid hasn't been in a mario or zelda scenario. They tried an...erm...ambitious game with other m and it setback the franchise basically a decade. They have had to bring back the series to it roots to a good extent. Zelda had the issue of not changing anything drastic outside of artstyle since alttp. 3d mario always drastically changes every few games.

Lets hope, but I can definitely see both of them (especially 5) going down the safest possible path they can. Hell, Retro themselves made Metroid Prime 3 which had such radical and cool concepts like... The Federation... Sylux...

...yeah you get the idea lol

As for Metroid not having the same history as Zelda and Mario, that is true. However when you say "it needs to go back to its roots," I think you're missing what that statement should mean. Both Zelda and Mario went back to their roots in that they went back to older titles (TLoZ, Mario 64) and, instead of simply making those for a new era, they took what those represented and translated them into the modern era. Metroid absolutely needs to go back to its roots, but to me those roots are not "Just like Prime 1 but with prettier graphics," but instead "Atmospheric isolation-based gameplay with a, for its time, somewhat 'dark' art-style." They need to look at the context of what made those games so unique to begin with instead of simply believing that those games will work for modern times.

I hope that makes some sense.

Ah so you are going to argue in bad faith? Perhaps you want to explain yourself instead of using a dumb gif?

You think that the hot takes of a few people on ResetEra are part of a battle that would determine whether Nintendo lives or 'goes the way of Sega'. How am I supposed to possibly take your arguments seriously after something like that's been said?

And if it does get to the point where opinions like mine are so wide-spread that it could seriously affect Nintendo's business then it's Nintendo's responsibility to sort that out because, well, they're the ones making the decisions here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's ironic that I thought robobot was so good because I'm really not into crazy over the top mech suit things usually, but I think it's because it just felt more different for kirby. It was the first time since 64 that it felt like they tried something a little beyond the standard kirby-fare.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You think that the hot takes of a few people on ResetEra are part of a battle that would determine whether Nintendo lives or 'goes the way of Sega'. How am I supposed to possibly take your arguments seriously after something like that's been said?

Well for a start I didn't say that did I? Grats on twisting my words I guess. I was saying that if Nintendo took as many risks as some people here want then the company would struggle to survive and the first thing to go would be the console manufacturing side of the business (hence the comparison to Sega)

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plum started an interesting conversation, so guess I lay out my two cents regarding me and Nintendo.
Honestly, my taste towards Nintendo (and their platforms) changed a lot in the last few years. Specially in the last two years, I realized that quite a few of the typical crown-franchises, which most hardcore Nintendo fans adore so much, aren't really doing it for me anyore. Some of has to do with (as I mentioned) my changing taste, but I can't deny that some of it has also to do with Nintendo going in weird directions (Pokémon being the biggest example).
One of my biggest pet peeves regarding Nintendo are 2D platformer. I can't give a damn anymore about 2D Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby and whatnot.
It's a bit disappointed that Nintendo didn't give Yoshi and Kirby the same treatment as Mario and Kong got back in the N64. It still irks me that Crafted World was yet another tepid 2D-platformer. And yeah I know, DK64 wasn't particulary great, but I'd rather want Nintendo to try again instead of getting 3 new quality DKC games.

Other franchises I don't really care anymore (or never cared to begin with) are Smash, Splatoon, most of the MP-focused Mario spin-offs and, sadly, Pokémon.

On the other hand, what I really appreciate about the Switch (and past Nintendo handhelds) are quality third-party games, specially japanese ones.
Stuff like Bayonetta 3, SMTV, Astral Chain, Bravely Default 2, Brigandine, AA6 (it's alive, right?) the rumoured TWEWY sequel, etc.
I will always think highly of Nintendo for making sure that these type of games land on their platforms. The DS is and will probably always be my favorite Ninty platform by far due to it being a paradise for more niche third party games.

I'm also relieved that dkcfan was banned, or else he would've come for my head lol.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
You are still a stakeholder, so you should have an interest in the money that Nintendo makes because it then means they can make the games that you love.
I suppose I could concede that, but consider that "sales mean everything at all times" does not sound like the Nintendo strategy to me. Nintendo is about long-term strength and healthy intellectual property to me. Splatoon has already become a main pillar to Nintendo, and I think they should be pursuing fresh, modern, instant classic types of new IPs, as well as revitalizing forgotten ones, even if it's at the expense of short-term sales.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Plum, but it sounds like he's arguing that even if the year was good, with high quality software and experiences, that doesn't make it exciting by default. A year's lineup can be exceptional while still feeling perfunctory. edit: and even if he's not, that's what I'm arguing.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I suppose I could concede that, but consider that "sales mean everything at all times" does not sound like the Nintendo strategy to me. Nintendo is about long-term strength and healthy intellectual property to me. Splatoon has already become a main pillar to Nintendo, and I think they should be pursuing fresh, modern, instant classic types of new IPs, as well as revitalizing forgotten ones, even if it's at the expense of short-term sales.

Please correct me if I'm wrong @Plum, but it sounds like he's arguing that even if the year was good, with high quality software and experiences, that doesn't make it exciting by default. A year's lineup can be exceptional while still feeling perfunctory.

Long-term strength and healthy intellectual property is all about generating sales and revenue eventually. You are just talking about long-term sales versus short-term, which yes I agree there is a discussion to be had, it is still a discussion about sales though. Would you have mentioned Splatoon if it wasn't successful sales-wise? Look at Labo and how much R&D would have gone into it and look at the sales. Nintendo couldn't do that too often and still be as successful as they are.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Please correct me if I'm wrong Plum, but it sounds like he's arguing that even if the year was good, with high quality software and experiences, that doesn't make it exciting by default. A year's lineup can be exceptional while still feeling perfunctory.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying basically. To me it feels like Nintendo has lost the creative spark that was so prevalent in the Wii U era and the early-Switch era. No, I don't want them to completely change every IP with every installment or to constantly bring out new IPs on the level of Splatoon, but it would be nice if we could get a Direct that isn't headlined by "1-to-1 Zelda remake that, whilst having an amazing art-style, is still essentially just a 1-to-1 Zelda remake" "Platinum game that, whilst being unique in many areas, has nowhere near the charm and character of a TW101 or Bayonetta," or "Remaster of a Wii game."

And I realise that such an opinion is due to my own personal biases. I value creativity and how a game makes me feel above how 'legitimately good' a game is, so when someone just posts a list war of "good games," that holds no bearing on how I actually feel. It's why my GOTY last year was Sayonara Wild Hearts instead of the much better-playing Resident Evil 2 (which came in at #2); one was simply more exciting than the other.

Basically I want more Planet Robobots but I feel like all I'm getting nowadays are Star Allies.

Well for a start I didn't say that did I? Grats on twisting my words I guess. I was saying that if Nintendo took as many risks as some people here want then the company would struggle to survive and the first thing to go would be the console manufacturing side of the business (hence the comparison to Sega)

You said that Raccoon was a "stakeholder" and should therefore "care about the money Nintendo makes."

For one, that's not how stakeholders work (shareholders, yes, but not stakeholders). However the main issue is that you've just brought the business side of things into here when it's entirely not needed, and you've chosen to completely fabricate some Strawman to do so in the first place. It's impossible to have a good discussion when you say stuff like that.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Lets hope, but I can definitely see both of them (especially 5) going down the safest possible path they can. Hell, Retro themselves made Metroid Prime 3 which had such radical and cool concepts like... The Federation... Sylux...

...yeah you get the idea lol

As for Metroid not having the same history as Zelda and Mario, that is true. However when you say "it needs to go back to its roots," I think you're missing what that statement should mean. Both Zelda and Mario went back to their roots in that they went back to older titles (TLoZ, Mario 64) and, instead of simply making those for a new era, they took what those represented and translated them into the modern era. Metroid absolutely needs to go back to its roots, but to me those roots are not "Just like Prime 1 but with prettier graphics," but instead "Atmospheric isolation-based gameplay with a, for its time, somewhat 'dark' art-style." They need to look at the context of what made those games so unique to begin with instead of simply believing that those games will work for modern times.

I hope that makes some sense.
I get what you mean, but I just don't want them to go too far like they did with botw. Yea botw sort of goes back to the nes, but it ended up becoming a giant sandbox. No dungeons, no current time story, and the appeal of the game is just wandering aroung to keep getting breakable weapons with basically no progression. I want prime 4 to be an evolution and not a drastic shift I guess. Go from what was there, but still keep everything that people loved.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
What's everyone's "definitive" Metroid ranking?

S-Tier - Super, Prime
A-Tier - Fusion, Prime 2, Zero Mission
B-Tier - Prime 3, Samus Returns
C-Tier- Pinball, Hunters, Federation Force
D-Tier - Other M's 3rd person gameplay
Z-Tier- The rest of Other M

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is XC Switch really a remaster? The character models are clearly new, and so are environments I assume?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I have pretty specific tastes as far as Nintendo games go. Unless it's Smash, Mario, Zelda, Kirby, DK, or Pokemon, it usually has to jump out to me in a very specific way. Unfortunately, when something does click, it's often a game like Kid Icarus Uprising, and it goes back into cold storage. I like 2D Metroid but I can't play FPS games so that's a no-go on Prime. I enjoy the Mother trilogy but it's over and done with. I haven't really enjoyed a Star Fox game that isn't 64. I tried Fire Emblem three times and it never fully clicked. I'm keeping a look out for XenoblaDE. I might pick up Animal Crossing since I've never played it. Games like Astral Chain are on my "maybe someday" list. I love the Wario Land series but it hasn't gotten a game in over a decade (and I've only played the original WarioWare and Gold). Despite being a big Nintendo fan, I'm surprisingly picky.

So in that sense, the Switch should in theory be kind of disappointing, yet the Smash/Mario/Zelda stuff has all been really strong, enough to carry the console experience for me, alongside the other great third party games and indies. I do feel like ever since Rare broke off with Nintendo though, the overall "family" of Nintendo has never quite been the same for me. The glory era of Rare was when I got into video games and was a big part of forming my tastes and perspective on what makes a great game.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Is XC Switch really a remaster? The character models are clearly new, and so are environments I assume?

Well unfortunately for us XC fans, they really haven't shown much... but from what we've seen, the only new additions to the story/environment is a new area that was cut from the original version. Aside from that, we'll have to see. But this is definitely more of a remaster than a 'remake' if that's what you were asking.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone's "definitive" Metroid ranking?

S-Tier - Super, Prime
A-Tier - Fusion, Prime 2, Zero Mission
B-Tier - Prime 3, Samus Returns
C-Tier- Pinball, Hunters, Federation Force
D-Tier - Other M's 3rd person gameplay
Z-Tier- The rest of Other M
Too hard for me to definitively rank the games. It's easier to just say that I think other m is trash. Federation force pretty much too. Hunters and pinball are decent enough spinoffs. Metroid 1 and 2 are just dated. Fusion...I still think is great, but not really what I want from the series overall. Prime 3 kind of like that, but for the prime series, but still love it. Rest of the games I love for different, and can't really differentiate in numbers.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You said that Raccoon was a "stakeholder" and should therefore "care about the money Nintendo makes."

For one, that's not how stakeholders work (shareholders, yes, but not stakeholders). However the main issue is that you've just brought the business side of things into here when it's entirely not needed, and you've chosen to completely fabricate some Strawman to do so in the first place. It's impossible to have a good discussion when you say stuff like that.

Yes that is exactly how a stakeholder works. A stakeholder, in this case a customer, has an interest in the business and being able to purchase a product from that business and for the business to survive and provide that product it has to be successful in how it makes money.

You're now trying to police the thread which is actually about Direct speculation and I'm not sure that you are speculating about a direct either to be honest. This thread has been off-topic for months and discussion about business/sales has as much place in this thread as you complaining that Nintendo has lost their "creative spark".

Status
Not open for further replies.