• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
these Direct text boxes that people post on twitter to show disappointment or whatnot keep evolving lol. I just saw this one and a bunch of ones I've never seen before lol
EQxYiD9WkAA3ERr

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well unfortunately for us XC fans, they really haven't shown much... but from what we've seen, the only new additions to the story/environment is a new area that was cut from the original version. Aside from that, we'll have to see. But this is definitely more of a remaster than a 'remake' if that's what you were asking.
I, uh, don't want to start a remaster vs. remake definition debate, but I thought a remaster is basically the original game, just with higher resolution/framerate and some revised texture work, while a remake is basically a new game from scratch heavily based on an old game, with completely new 3D assets, environments etc.
I don't know about the enviroments, but the character models are clearly new.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I get what you mean, but I just don't want them to go too far like they did with botw. Yea botw sort of goes back to the nes, but it ended up becoming a giant sandbox. No dungeons, no current time story, and the appeal of the game is just wandering aroung to keep getting breakable weapons with basically no progression. I want prime 4 to be an evolution and not a drastic shift I guess. Go from what was there, but still keep everything that people loved.

Even if we disagree on Breath of the Wild I don't want them to change up the formula too much either. Resident Evil 7 and 2, despite being much smaller in terms of scale, still show that '3D Metroidvania-style' design can still work in a modern title. In an entirely different genre I feel like Mario Odyssey showed how a Mario game can still very much be a Mario game whilst still innovating and feeling modern.

Is XC Switch really a remaster? The character models are clearly new, and so are environments I assume?

I use this definition for remasters/remakes:

Remasters: Games that are built from the foundation of an existing title
Remakes: Games that build a mostly-new foundation to make a new version of an existing title

So, to me, XC:DE is a remaster, albeit one that falls more onto 'borderline' territory than something as simple as a simple HD upres.

Yes that is exactly how a stakeholder works. A stakeholder, in this case a customer, has an interest in the business and being able to purchase a product from that business and for the business to survive and provide that product it has to be successful in how it makes money.

You're now trying to police the thread which is actually about Direct speculation and I'm not sure that you are speculating about a direct either to be honest. This thread has been off-topic for months and discussion about business/sales has as much place in this thread as you complaining that Nintendo has lost their "creative spark".

I'm not going to go into the rest but I'm talking about this because I feel that this Direct is a good chance for Nintendo to 'prove me wrong' in a sense. The inevitable arguments that such an opinion makes doesn't change that opinion.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I just want Nintendo to tell me if I have to wait until E3 for more Smash news.

Sorry, I'm contributing to the problem. Half the reason I watch a Direct is hoping for more Smash news.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I guess for me, my tastes come down to the fact that I basically just don't like anime or anime type things. I can't get into jrpgs because the gameplay isn't enough for me to get around the fact that I won't care about the story or characters. It's the art styles, tropes, etc. Kind of also applies to character action games. Played bayo 1 and 2 and can see why they are considered great, but they just didn't do it for me like most people on era. And I just don't like the super over the top "japanese style". I guess I mostly like stuff when it leans to just really cartoon, or more realistic. Obviously some exceptions going either way, but yea.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I, uh, don't want to start a remaster vs. remake definition debate, but I thought a remaster is basically the original game, just with higher resolution/framerate and some revised texture work, while a remake is basically a new game from scratch heavily based on an old game, with completely new 3D assets, environments etc.

It blurs the lines imo. It's a remaster but with some parts remade.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

Character models are new, but most likely they're using the same animations as before. The geometry will likely just be taken right from the original game, just with some vastly improved textures.

While there's a lot new, I'm not sure if the game is going to be entirely from scratch.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
It all depends on tastes and experiences. Switch is my second-best Nintendo system for a lot of reasons, some of them beyond its library of games such as the form factor, power and different ways to play i.e. tabletop mode.

GBA's my favourite because it had more than one game belonging to some of my favourite series e.g. 2 Metroid games, 2 Advance Wars game, my favourite Fire Emblem ever, 2 F-Zero games (not counting the Japan-only one). It also had Wario Land 4, Kirby Super Star Ultra and so many more. Third-parties were great too such as Astro Boy, Sonic Advance, etc. It was insane. Also, GBA SP was the most comfortable way for me to play games at the time.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I just want Nintendo to tell me if I have to wait until E3 for more Smash news.

Sorry, I'm contributing to the problem. Half the reason I watch a Direct is hoping for more Smash news.
I think a direct will happen in april or less likely march, but sticking to no smash until e3 with two character reveals.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the GBA was mostly a letdown for me

but it gave us WarioWare and Rhythm Heaven, so it's not all bad

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It all depends on tastes and experiences. Switch is my second-best Nintendo system for a lot of reasons, some of them beyond its library of games such as the form factor, power and different ways to play i.e. tabletop mode.

GBA's my favourite because it had more than one game belonging to some of my favourite series e.g. 2 Metroid games, 2 Advance Wars game, my favourite Fire Emblem ever, 2 F-Zero games (not counting the Japan-only one). It also had Wario Land 4, Kirby Super Star Ultra and so many more. Third-parties were great too such as Astro Boy, Sonic Advance, etc. It was insane. Also, GBA SP was the most comfortable way for me to play games at the time.

Kirby Super Star Ultra was a DS title. :P

It's harder to rank the portable systems because a lot of them are bolstered by ports. The DS stands out to me though for having by far the best Pokemon games in the series' history. Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver, Black/White, and Black/White 2 represent everything I loved about the franchise.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm so sick of the world "backlog"

The "JUsT PlAY YouR BaCKloG" people should practice what they preach and never get excited for a Direct ever again. After all there's always going to be thousands of older games that can be played so why would anyone care about ones that are coming out in the future?

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020

From what they've shown I think it definitely fits the category of remake more than a remaster. However, we still have to see the actual differences between the DE and the original when Nintendo decides to market the game

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
The "JUsT PlAY YouR BaCKloG" people should practice what they preach and never get excited for a Direct ever again. After all there's always going to be thousands of older games that can be played so why would anyone care about ones that are coming out in the future?
to me it makes video games sound like a chore

"oh boy I've got a spare hour, time to chip away at the old backlog"

where's the fun in that?

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I'm in agreement with Plum about Metroid (as I believe I've said in this thread before). Nintendo need to do what Sony did with God of War. They need to break down what makes Metroid, Metroid. They then need to go about building a new game that feels totally fresh, but also adheres to the defining characteristics of the series. That's a hard thing to do - but it could transform the franchise into a mainstream success story.

Otherwise Metroid is doomed to be a critical darling and prestige franchise that barely justifies the money Nintendo spend on it.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
GBA's my favourite because it had more than one game belonging to some of my favourite series e.g. 2 Metroid games, 2 Advance Wars game, my favourite Fire Emblem ever, 2 F-Zero games (not counting the Japan-only one). It also had Wario Land 4, Kirby Super Star Ultra and so many more.
That was a DS game. The GBA had Nightmare in Dreamland and Amazing Mirror.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I'm at the point where basically only really get games I really want and don't just slurge and get tons of stuff....for like the last few years. So I don't have a crazy backlog of stuff and don't want to get games just for the sake of it.
They hated Hercule because they told them the truth.
giphy.gif

Plum

May 31, 2018
You can clear your backlog and still want a direct at the same time.

where's the fun in that?
It's like the Teacher from Pink Floyd's The Wall:

scarfe1.jpg

"IF YOU DON'T FINISH YOUR BACKLOG, YA CAN'T WANT THE DIRECT!
HOW CAN YOU WANT THE DIRECT IF YA DON'T FINISH YOUR BACKLOG?!"

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
That was a DS game. The GBA had Nightmare in Dreamland and Amazing Mirror.
Kirby Super Star Ultra was a DS title. :P
Oh, it indeed was! Ignore that one, then :P In that case, I don't remember playing any Kirby game on GBA. Damn.

It's harder to rank the portable systems because a lot of them are bolstered by ports. The DS stands out to me though for having by far the best Pokemon games in the series' history. Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver, Black/White, and Black/White 2 represent everything I loved about the franchise.
I really liked Emerald on GBA but the Black/White games are my favourite so they easily outrank Emerald. That's one thing I liked about DS over the GBA when it came to Pokemon.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

where's the fun in that?

I mean to be honest, a lot of hobbies are about committing time and energy to something that might not be particularly easy. Making time to play video games as a busy adult can definitely feel a bit like work. I also played way more games before I became Extremely Online because it turns out the internet is really good for wasting time!

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
If you've ever said "just play your backlog" you're not allowed to play any new games until you've finished every single game ever made.

/s but seriously f*ck outta here with that backlog sh*t

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in agreement with Plum about Metroid (as I believe I've said in this thread before). Nintendo need to do what Sony did with God of War. They need to break down what makes Metroid, Metroid. They then need to go about building a new game that feels totally fresh, but also adheres to the defining characteristics of the series. That's a hard thing to do - but it could transform the franchise into a mainstream success story.

Otherwise Metroid is doomed to be a critical darling and prestige franchise that barely justifies the money Nintendo spend on it.
It's hard to say if even making that type of evolution will really boost up metroid like that. An issue is that the core appeals to most of the fanbase are just....niche appeals. Atmosphere, moodiness, isolation, etc. Those things are the deries foundation and when you take those out, you can get other m, even if that is the low point example.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nothing Nintendo does will please everyone, that's just not possible. Whatever is announced in the next direct there will still be disappointment. A direct will not be the ultimate solution and while I think directs in the format they are in right now are amazing they also lead to hype that cannot be fulfilled completely.

Either way, Nate (and others) have said that this year is going to be good and it's only the middle of February so I still don't get all the doom and gloom.

where's the fun in that?

There are people that do find enjoyment in completing games they have bought but haven't had the time to play, I don't see the problem. Why buy a game and never play it?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean to be honest, a lot of hobbies are about committing time and energy to something that might not be particularly easy. Making time to play video games as a busy adult can definitely feel a bit like work. I also played way more games before I became Extremely Online because it turns out the internet is really good for wasting time!
That supports the case even more though. A lot of people say they get tons of games to be in the conversation, and then you also see tons of threads of people getting burned out. I don't think having to get tons of games to be "in the conversatiom" should really be a nain aspect of the hobby.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess for me, my tastes come down to the fact that I basically just don't like anime or anime type things. I can't get into jrpgs because the gameplay isn't enough for me to get around the fact that I won't care about the story or characters. It's the art styles, tropes, etc. Kind of also applies to character action games. Played bayo 1 and 2 and can see why they are considered great, but they just didn't do it for me like most people on era. And I just don't like the super over the top "japanese style". I guess I mostly like stuff when it leans to just really cartoon, or more realistic. Obviously some exceptions going either way, but yea.
Valid opinion of course, but didn't you say that you like Pokémon? If yes, then why make an exception for that particular JRPG franchise?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing Nintendo does will please everyone, that's just not possible. Whatever is announced in the next direct there will still be disappointment. A direct will not be the ultimate solution and while I think directs in the format they are in right now are amazing they also lead to hype that cannot be fulfilled completely.

Either way, Nate (and others) have said that this year is going to be good and it's only the middle of February so I still don't get all the doom and gloom.

There are people that do find enjoyment in completing games they have bought but haven't had the time to play, I don't see the problem. Why buy a game and never play it?
There isn't a problem there. It's just that you get some snarky "go play your backlog" comments assuming everyone just has a big backlog of games they have.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
That supports the case even more though. A lot of people say they get tons of games to be in the conversation, and then you also see tons of threads of people getting burned out. I don't think having to get tons of games to be "in the conversatiom" should really be a nain aspect of the hobby.

It definitely shouldn't, but FOMO is a real thing. I even made a thread about it.

My problem is I impulse buy stuff that's on sale, or I buy something, get distracted and never touch it, or I get 1/3 of the way through the game, get bored of a particular segment, and put it down for months... this isn't just exclusive to games, but the older I get the more I feel my attention span goes to shit. Damn kids.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

Well that's an easy one. The less games you play, the more time you have to ask where the Direct is!

As for me, I'm still working on my own backlog. I was finishing Impossible Lair, but now I have the new FETH DLC to play through. I also need to get around to beating Celeste. I'll fall further behind once my copy of the Yakuza Remaster collection arrives though...

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Valid opinion of course, but didn't you say that you like Pokémon? If yes, then why make an exception for that particular JRPG franchise?
That's one of those exceptions. It's an exception because the games are just all about the pokemon, which I guess to me don't fit that anime kind of style. Even the characters themselves aren't generally fit into the anime tropes and stuff. Idk, it's just an exception...although even now pokemon is falling out for me because of recent games.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely shouldn't, but FOMO is a real thing. I even made a thread about it.

My problem is I impulse buy stuff that's on sale, or I buy something, get distracted and never touch it, or I get 1/3 of the way through the game, get bored of a particular segment, and put it down for months... this isn't just exclusive to games, but the older I get the more I feel my attention span goes to shit. Damn kids.
That's fair, but to me the opposite has happened with time. I focus just on things that are totally for me and not really wanting to try a bunch of different things knowing I very likely could not like it.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
But why buy a game you don't have time to play? It's cyclical, you see. Maybe. I dunno, I'm more about feelings than you smarty pants logical people on here lol

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There isn't a problem there. It's just that you get some snarky "go play your backlog" comments assuming everyone just has a big backlog of games they have.

Well then you just say you don't have a backlog and the other person will be more understanding of why you would like new games or they might be able to suggest games you haven't tried yet. It's fine to want new games, it's fine to play a backlog too. There's nothing we can really do to make these games come faster, I'm sure Nintendo want them to be out as fast as possible too because they want your money.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Nintendo playing it safe thing some kind of meme? Did people miss the whole LABO /Ring Fit stuff? Or them okaying a friggin rabbids xcom style crossover with mario as well as recently doing an indie zelda crossover?

They even did exactly what some people are asking with Metroid or does everyone forget federation force? That was them shaking up the Metroid formula and taking a risk and it failed and got such a vitriolic reception they played it as safe as possible with samus returns.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's one of those exceptions. It's an exception because the games are just all about the pokemon, which I guess to me don't fit that anime kind of style. Even the characters themselves aren't generally fit into the anime tropes and stuff. Idk, it's just an exception...although even now pokemon is falling out for me because of recent games.
*cough* The characters don't fit into any tropes because they barely have any character/substance to begin with *cough*
But I see, thanks for the answer. And to the bolded: I feel you.

Oct 26, 2017
Yea, I'm at the point where basically only really get games I really want and don't just slurge and get tons of stuff....for like the last few years. So I don't have a crazy backlog of stuff and don't want to get games just for the sake of it.

giphy.gif
It's like the Teacher from Pink Floyd's The Wall:

scarfe1.jpg

"IF YOU DON'T FINISH YOUR BACKLOG, YA CAN'T WANT THE DIRECT!
HOW CAN YOU WANT THE DIRECT IF YA DON'T FINISH YOUR BACKLOG?!"
These two being posted in a row is funny, because the artist behind "The Wall" is none other than the same man who was the original artist and character designer of Disney's Hercules. I am not kidding!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Nintendo playing it safe thing some kind of meme? Did people miss the whole LABO /Ring Fit stuff? Or them okaying a friggin rabbids xcom style crossover with mario as well as recently doing an indie zelda crossover?

They even did exactly what some people are asking with Metroid or does everyone forget federation force? That was them shaking up the Metroid formula and taking a risk and it failed and got such a vitriolic reception they played it as safe as possible with samus returns.
Well at least in terms of it for current series, some people want more of a middle ground. Evolutions of series, without drastic shifts. Federation force has nothing to do with that though. It was a spinoff that was started in 2009 for the dsi, and got held off for years for some reason and came back at the worst time. Samus returns was likely being made before they even revealed federation force. So yea, bad example.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't know, I feel like I've seen dozens of "reboot it and make it 3D like Power Stone" posts in just the past week or so

I do think the next Smash game will be at a bit of a crossroads if they cut a significant chunk of the roster. I'm sure most would be fine with an Ultimate Deluxe on the Super Switch that keeps everything in Ultimate and adds onto it, but that seems unfeasible from a licensing standpoint, so if they have significant roster cuts they might have to do something novel to keep the brand fresh. It also depends on if Sakurai is still on board.

*cough* The characters don't fit into any tropes because they barely have any character/substance to begin with *cough*

4322.jpg

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
But why buy a game you don't have time to play? It's cyclical, you see. Maybe. I dunno, I'm more about feelings than you smarty pants logical people on here lol

Life gets in the way. You could have plenty of time to play a game when you get it, but the unexpected can happen. You could be busier with work than you thought, could be invited out somewhere, end up with other obligations...

People generally don't go buying a game thinking "Alright! Another one for the backlog!" Backlogs happen because our free time doesn't always end up being spent the way we wanted to or were expecting to.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think the next Smash game will be at a bit of a crossroads if they cut a significant chunk of the roster. I'm sure most would be fine with an Ultimate Deluxe on the Super Switch that keeps everything in Ultimate and adds onto it, but that seems unfeasible from a licensing standpoint, so if they have significant roster cuts they might have to do something novel to keep the brand fresh. It also depends on if Sakurai is still on board.

4322.jpg
Oi, she bae.
...And I wanted to change my avatar several times in the past, but I'm too lazy...

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
People generally don't go buying a game thinking "Alright! Another one for the backlog!" Backlogs happen because our free time doesn't always end up being spent the way we wanted to or were expecting to.
Idk...I've seen tons of people here say exactly that. Sometimes even in "burnout" threads. That they just keep buying games on sale and stuff. Which even then, is their own thing and they can do it if they want, but when people have burnouts, that can be the explantion a lot of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.