• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
the GBA was mostly a letdown for me

but it gave us WarioWare and Rhythm Heaven, so it's not all bad

Really? I know, different strokes and stuff but seriously for me, GBA had best first party lineup ever. Lots of new IPs (well, for us anyway), huge variety of genres and lots of amazing SNES classics. Advance Wars, Golden Sun, WarioWare, Mario & Luigi (personally this was leagues better than any Paper Mario), 2 F-Zero games...

And Japan got much more than us, those lucky bastards: Mother 3, Starfy 1-2, Magical Vacation, Custom Robo, Tomato Adventure, Rhythm Tengoku...

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Idk...I've seen tons of people here say exactly that. Sometimes even in "burnout" threads. That they just keep buying games on sale and stuff. Which even then, is their own thing and they can do it if they want, but when people have burnouts, that can be the explantion a lot of times.

If people are just burned out on playing games, that's fair. A break can be good every now and again.

But buying games just for a backlog? Can't say I get that. I know I'd never do something like that!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
But why buy a game you don't have time to play? It's cyclical, you see. Maybe. I dunno, I'm more about feelings than you smarty pants logical people on here lol

I can only speak for myself, when I was a kid I could only get limited games because obviously I didn't have disposable income, so I'd have to ask my parents for a game each time, which meant I had to make sure it was a game I'd play fully, and I usually did. It often meant I replayed a lot of games too. Once I began buying my own games though, it was a lot easier to go "oh yeah, I'll grab that," then something happens, or I get home and I'm tired, or it's on sale and I want to get it "just in case," and then it's been like 15 years and suddenly you have hundreds of games you haven't beaten.

Couldn't be me.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If people are just burned out on playing games, that's fair. A break can be good every now and again.

But buying games just for a backlog? Can't say I get that. I know I'd never do something like that!
Well it's a lot of people that say they want to get almost every new aaa or even aa possible to be in the conversation, and then they end up rushing through games or leaving them behind to get to the next one, since a lot of gaming cycle have tons of games come out close to each other. Personally I don't think it's a good mentality to have to make it almost like a job, but just me personally.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I think playing more online games made me stop buying so many games.
I still buy like 20 a year but I used to buy a lot more.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's a lot of people that say they want to get almost every new aaa or even aa possible to be in the conversation, and then they end up rushing through games or leavinf them behind to get to the next one, since a lot of gaming cycle have tons of games come out close to each other. Personally I don't think it's a good mentality to have to make it almost like a job, but just me personally.

Sounds like a waste of money to me.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I don't get the people who say that the Switch has less creative titles than the Wii U. Like, bruh. Two of the biggest Wii U games were remakes (Twilight Princess and Windwaker), one was a sequel to a 3DS game (3D World), another was a spin-off of said sequel (Captain Toad), we got the normal Smash and Mario Kart and 2D Mario, etc. The most creative Wii U games were Splatoon, Mario Maker, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and Wonderful 101, all of which showed up on the Switch.

On the Switch, we (currently) have a 3D fighting game in ARMS, a X-Com-like game in Mario + freaking Rabbids, a exercise RPG in Ring Fit, a detective action game in Astral Chain, and a mech fighter in Daemon X Machina. That's big. The biggest original games on the console are considered to be some of the best, if not the best, in their respective series (BOTW, Odyssey, Smash, Mario Maker 2, Splatoon 2, Luigi's Mansion 3). We have the first 2D Zelda, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing games on console in years. Even the Wii U ports normally get better, namely MK8D.

C'mon.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the people who say that the Switch has less creative titles than the Wii U. Like, bruh. Two of the biggest Wii U games were remakes (Twilight Princess and Windwaker), one was a sequel to a 3DS game (3D World), another was a spin-off of said sequel (Captain Toad), we got the normal Smash and Mario Kart and 2D Mario, etc. The most creative Wii U games were Splatoon, Mario Maker, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and Wonderful 101, all of which showed up on the Switch.

On the Switch, we (currently) have a 3D fighting game in ARMS, a X-Com-like game in Mario + freaking Rabbids, a exercise RPG in Ring Fit, a detective action game in Astral Chain, and a mech fighter in Daemon X Machina. That's big. The biggest original games on the console are considered to be some of the best, if not the best, in their respective series (BOTW, Odyssey, Smash, Mario Maker 2, Splatoon 2, Luigi's Mansion 3). We have the first 2D Zelda, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing games on console in years. Even the Wii U ports normally get better, namely MK8D.

C'mon.
Switch is definitely above the wii u in that aspect easily. I don't personally have it above the snes or gamecube or wii though yet.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Really? I know, different strokes and stuff but seriously for me, GBA had best first party lineup ever. Lots of new IPs (well, for us anyway), huge variety of genres and lots of amazing SNES classics. Advance Wars, Golden Sun, WarioWare, Mario & Luigi (personally this was leagues better than any Paper Mario), 2 F-Zero games...

And Japan got much more than us, those lucky bastards: Mother 3, Starfy 1-2, Magical Vacation, Custom Robo, Tomato Adventure, Rhythm Tengoku...
I loved WarioWare, Mario & Luigi, and Drill Dozer, but the rest of the first party output left me pretty cold (partly because it was Port City, and partly because a bunch of the good ones never left Japan)

I don't think I've ever regretted buying a game more than I regretted buying Golden Sun

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Even 20 a year still sounds wild to me, lol. It's hard for me to comprehend playing that much, and I even sort of have a decent amount of free time.

It is still a lot for sure but I beat all the games I buy which wasn't the case a few years ago.
I think the switch helps because it's a portable device

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Everyone is talking about when BOTW2 will come, but when do you guys think Odyssey 2 will come? I'm thinking next June (that's another reason why I don't think BOTW2 will be a March 2021 release, they wouldn't put both games that close to each other).
What's everyone's "definitive" Metroid ranking?

S-Tier - Super, Prime
A-Tier - Fusion, Prime 2, Zero Mission
B-Tier - Prime 3, Samus Returns
C-Tier- Pinball, Hunters, Federation Force
D-Tier - Other M's 3rd person gameplay
Z-Tier- The rest of Other M
S-Tier - Super, Prime, Zero Mission
A-Tier - Fusion, Prime 3, Samus Returns
B-Tier - Other M, Prime 2
C-Tier - Hunters, FF.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The one series that everyone seems okay with playing it safe is Smash, lol.

One of the 72 reasons I want someone else to make a smash clone with a non indie budget is to bring the genre forward.
Hell, even sakurai himself wants to change the formula if you consider how he adapted Terry compared to older characters.

But then again clones of big games never make success so excuse me that I will go read the thread about the Diablo clone being a huge success

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Federation force has to be one of the worst timed games ever. Revealed 5 years after other m and not any mention of metroid in between. For some reason was a spinoff idea from the dsi era and happened to be resurrected so much time later. Then comes out nearly exactly on the 30th anniversary of the series, and the game doesn't star samus, and has you fight her as the final boss.

Even that aside, if it was revealed with prime 4 and said to be a connection game in between 3 and 4, it woud have turned out at least a little better.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States

C'mon.
Right on, well said. The Switch feels like a return of the Gamecube glory days all over again!

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
S: Prime, Prime 2
A: Super, Prime 3, Zero Mission
B: Samus Returns, Fusion
C: Other M, Metroid II

haven't played the others but it's still my favorite franchise

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Far from me to make it easier for the ninjas to discover who is leaking it, but what does your dog do at nintendo?
He won't tell me. Everytime I ask he gives me a condescending stare and walks back to his insider hut.
Wait, I thought your dog was just hanging on their front lawn. They actually gave him a job? Good for him, tell him I said bark!
I did that, he said bark back. And then he told me he has a better job than me.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

C'mon.
Also PERIOD!

I can see if Nintendo's games don't personally appeal to someone because you can't change taste

but arguing that the Wii U era was more creative? I REALLY don't know how

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Can't believe I'm saying it, but I loved the Sonic movie. Lots of easter eggs and even if you aren't a fan, you'll have a good time.

Go see it.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
How fucking ironic is it that sonic, with all of the terrible luck he's had with games, is the one to break the game movie curse lmaoo

A year ago, i would have told you this would be a fucking trainwreck tire fire.

And now, It actually might end up being just what the franchise needed. A lot of kids are about to become fans. Crazy.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

C'mon.

To add onto this, we're (probably) going to get three to five Metroid games on the console (2D Metroid, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Metroid Prime 4 guaranteed, maybe another 2D Metroid remake and a multiplayer e-shop title), ports of pretty much all the successful Wii U games, possibly a return to form for Paper Mario, HD remakes of at least one Zelda title, a remaster of the Galaxy games, a remaster of a beloved RPG in Xenoblade, and new IP's should start coming at a two a year basis. We'll be fine.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How fucking ironic is it that sonic, with all of the terrible luck he's had with games, is the one to break the game movie curse lmaoo

There is no game movie curse.

Mortal Kombat, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, and Detective Pikachu movies were pretty solid.

And if you ask Capcom, the Resident Evil movies have been a gold mine.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Chris Stuckmann brought that up in his review. If it could be done in the right hands by a director who's actuslly a fan of the source material, it could really be something special.

It would probably be Universal making it, and while I love their theme parks, I'm not exactly a fan of their movies. So hopefully they leave Metroid alone.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Still a real crying shame Nintendo is banking on the most mediocre major animation studio on the planet for the theatrical return of their biggest IP.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Still a real crying shame Nintendo is banking on the most mediocre major animation studio on the planet for the theatrical return of their biggest IP.
My expectations are very low for mario. They could easily have it be lego movie tier and have a story like the rpgs, but it will end up super generic and have toads dabbing.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. But Miyamoto is heavily involved so it'll be interesting to see what his vision for a Mario film is.
It's rather exciting but it could end up being a disaster. I don't think a Typical Mario story (peach being kidnapped ) is gonna fly today

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. But Miyamoto is heavily involved so it'll be interesting to see what his vision for a Mario film is.
It's rather exciting but it could end up being a disaster. I don't think a Typical Mario story (peach being kidnapped ) is gonna fly today
It won't be a disaster, but not nearly as polished as sonic or as ambitious as detective pikachu. Probably just mario and luigi go across generic mushroom kingdom type places, maybe with some toads, and eventually get to bowser and save peach. Maybe the koopalings are in, or just bowser jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.