• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Chris Stuckmann brought that up in his review. If it could be done in the right hands by a director who's actuslly a fan of the source material, it could really be something special.

They would never greenlight it ... metroid to be made right it needs to be almost a cult movie. Like long moments of Samus absolutely ALONE talking to herself. Only samus, with head barely visible, doing some adventure stuff.... she is the only human in the movie. There is some dialog in the flashbacks but it is subtitled since they are fucking birds

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Also for anyone who's upset about Nintendo's lineup so far

please tell me you have at least given Three Houses a shot.

I cannot stress enough, and I have only played awakening, how much I fucking LOVE this game.

Even if you aren't an SRPG fan (I'm not at all) the game is super manageable on normal difficulty.

but my god, I've immersed myself in it for over a hundred hours and am not burnt out. The depth that the different routes gives the characters, politics and lore is astounding. It was brilliant to have no one route be the correct one. It's almost overwhelming how big and fleshed out the game is. I'd say it's worth it for that reason alone. Following the story, growing with your students and getting attached to them. A game hasn't given me this feeling in a long time.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They would never greenlight it ... metroid to be made right it needs to be almost a cult movie. Like long moments of Samus absolutely ALONE talking to herself. Only samus, with head barely visible, doing some adventure stuff.... she is the only human in the movie. There is some dialog in the flashbacks but it is subtitled since they are fucking birds
Origami chozo.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah, that's why I'm hoping there's no movie. Universal is making the theme park lands and developing the Mario movie, so they're almost guaranteed to make it if it's a thing.

Yeah. With the exception of Pokemon, I'd expect most Nintendo franchises to be in Uninveral's hands now. Which sucks. I know Nintendo turned down Iger multiple times in the past. Not a smart move.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If someone could make a great Metroid Movie, than it definitely would be Ridley Scott.
Ridley Scott today....
giphy.webp

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
If someone could make a great Metroid Movie, than it definitely would be Ridley Scott.

I mean. Ridley is literally named after him. Lol.

Yeah. Movies with very small casts can work but you need the right writers, director and a good vision.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
A Denis Villeneuve Metroid movie would be gorgeous as hell, impeccably well directed, 3 hours long, pack a massive budget and bomb at the box office.

I'm there opening night.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Yeah. With the exception of Pokemon, I'd expect most Nintendo franchises to be in Uninveral's hands now. Which sucks. I know Nintendo turned down Iger multiple times in the past. Not a smart move.

Actually, I'm glad Nintendo turned Disney down. A.) Disney has enough IP's, and B.) Universal is building one hell of a land for Nintendo.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Videogame movies are like videogame remakes
it will take a complete change on how executive think (or the total lack of options) for them to choose the right games for the job =P

Yeah. Movies with very small casts can work but you need the right writers, director and a good vision.

It needs way too much of a budget for it to be too cult to make it's money back.
Maybe after nintendo become the new marvel ... then metroid will be it's Dr Strange.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid by Genndy Tartakovsky.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always find the Universal/Nintendo buddy thing funny cause didn't Universal and Nintendo get into an ugly legal battle over Donkey Kong supposedly copying King Kong back in the day? I mean, I know it was a long time ago and irrelevant today but I just find it humorous.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we can say it's wasn't a smart move until we see what universal is doing. I don't think Disney would put as much attention as universal will since Disney is already packed with franchises.

tho I think DreamWorks is part of universal so maybe some Nintendo films can come from them seeing how they are a good studio.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Actually, I'm glad Nintendo turned Disney down. A.) Disney has enough IP's, and B.) Universal is building one hell of a land for Nintendo.

I'll kinda disagree. If any studio could make amazing animated films, it's Disney Animation and Pixar. They'd do great things with Nintendo properties, but they'd want full creative control, which Nintendo would not ever allow.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The fnaf movie will be interesting. It's under blumhouse and Chris Columbus is directing. I know pixels was his last, but if it's done as something more like gremlins and a little more dark, it could work.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
If Charles Martinet isn't the voice of Mario.

I will skip the film. No joke.

Honestly that's going to be the weirdest part of the Mario film: actually hearing the characters speak full sentences.

With Mario, it's not as weird considering we've already heard Charles Martinet go ham at conventions and such, but what they gonna do for someone like Bowser who, outside of those cursed cutscenes in Sunshine from a long time ago, has emitted nothing but monster growls?

Oct 26, 2017
I've actually been playing Starlink like crazy on Switch following my purchase of the Collection 2 at such a good discount. I also finally bought the Starfox pilot content, which means I now own 100% of the game! :O Think I paid about $100 or less when all was said and done for the whole thing which is a HUGE discount considering how much the deluxe edition and the DLC was on its own (and don't get me started if they forced the toys on you!).

The game is mad addicting. I actually got more into it now than a year ago now that I "get" more of the content, like the upgrades, mod making, and how to look for certain items.

You really want to get as much Nova as possible as that's key to upgrades. You get them at sites on planets (like crashed ships you "hack" to complete), and in outer space by finding abandoned ships and space debris spots. If you find one of the dozen Outlaw hideouts in space and beat them, you can get 3 Novas at a time. You should only do these after getting some good mods and being experienced in combat. Always destroy the turrets first and that makes taking down the individual opponents easier. You find the ships and debris everywhere by heading towards bright stars you see, which are actually just uber bright light posts at each location. You need certain weapons to open the salvage containers that are colored; the red fire ones need blue ice weapons, or vice versa, and purple ones need yellow weapons. Each give you one Novam electrum (the core currency, and a mod.

VERY recommended and the game runs VERY well and is outstanding graphically. Virtuos did an outstanding job and is clearly why they got The Outer Worlds on Switch.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I don't think we can say it's wasn't a smart move until we see what universal is doing. I don't think Disney would put as much attention as universal will since Disney is already packed with franchises.

tho I think DreamWorks is part of universal so maybe some Nintendo films can come from them seeing how they are a good studio.

I'm basing that off Illumination, a studio that has put out very few good movies, in my opinion. I also doubt Disney would shorthand Nintendo of all companies when it comes to staffing for their productions.

Now, if Dreamworks had gotten their hands on Mario, that'd be a different story.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
good news everybody, the CRT in my Macintosh lost its vacuum

oh sorry, I actually meant fucking terrible news.

this has been the week of mid-size inconveniences and hardships for me lol

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly that's going to be the weirdest part of the Mario film: actually hearing the characters speak full sentences.

With Mario, it's not as weird considering we've already heard Charles Martinet go ham at conventions and such, but what they gonna do for someone like Bowser who, outside of those cursed cutscenes in Sunshine from a long time ago, has emitted nothing but monster growls?
Bowser would be weird in the beginning but at least we've seen him speak full sentences so they just need the right voice.

Wario's in Gold was weird too since it's was the first time he talked as Mario for decent size cutscenes lol. But it was great.

only problem. Mario isn't much of a character lol. So I can't even think of what he would say that would be interesting. I hope the film has a large supporting cast.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

As long as they aren't super long sentences, I can picture Bowser....if it's his actual voice too. The movie will be worth it to hear SHOWTIME. Maybe a full giant luigi vs bowser battle. That would be amazing.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
The Mario film has to embrace the Weirdness of the series. they better not play is safe, it would be a bad idea.

detective pikachu played it too safe

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Games that would make AMAZING movies but would NEVER be turned into movies:

Hotel Dusk
Noir detective story
Gone Home
cult drama with lots of timelines
Celeste
fantastical drama pan's labything style
Pit Fighter
it is blood sport with 3 protagonists
Florence
romantic drama
Sayonara Wild hearts
romantic comedy musical
Mach Rider
mad max furry road but bikes
Punch Out
C'mon it is basically rocky 2 =P
Full Metal Furies
A war movie with a group of women wanting to beat a greek god with phylosofical questions? I would ALMOST give it to snyder

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Games that would make AMAZING movies but would NEVER be turned into movies:

Hotel Dusk
Noir detective story
Gone Home
cult drama with lots of timelines
Celeste
fantastical drama pan's labything style
Pit Fighter
it is blood sport with 3 protagonists
Florence
romantic drama
Sayonara Wild hearts
romantic comedy musical
Mach Rider
mad max furry road but bikes
Punch Out
C'mon it is basically rocky 2 =P

An animated Hotel Dusk movie in the same style as the games would be seriously incredible.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I think an actual Metroid movie should be more... I don't know, Superhero-y? I mean, Samus has Batman's origin story, but with aliens and Space Dragons. Of course it should definitely have some good 20-30 minutes of Alien-inspired scenes. But just making another Alien but with a big bulky orange (or purple) suit is not going to cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.