• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Return to dreamland was almost as good as SuperStar.
4 player coop is the advantage it has.

Star Allies was good.
The issue is that it forced you to do the gimmcik stuff a bit too much.

Weirdly I remember the final world and DLC junk having a lot less of that.
And those were the best part of the game. And the level design had better cohesion. Not switching from a fire room to a ice cave randomly
so yeah, if the game was more like the final words, it might be up there.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Since I mentioned it before; I wonder what the reception to the pitched Archie Nintendo comics (Mario, Metroid and Kirby) would've been if any of them actually got green-lit (apparently it was only NoJ getting in the way, NoA was on-board with Mario at least).

The pencil-tests and art used for the pitches (the little of it we've seen) looked neat at least.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Since I mentioned it before; I wonder what the reception to the pitched Archie Nintendo comics (Mario, Metroid, Kirby and... Fossil Fighters,) would've been if any of them actually got green-lit (apparently it was only NoJ getting in the way, NoA was on-board with Mario at least).

The pencil-tests and art used for the pitches (the little of it we've seen) looked neat at least.

Either way, Nintendo ended up making the right move in the long run considering how all of Archie's licensed stuff eventually went up in flames

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I bring this up all the time when people are discussing a Metroid movie and usually get ignored (probably with good reason) but I'm still convinced that the first 30 minutes of Riddick is the perfect template for a Metroid movie.

The overall movie (Riddick) kinda sucked but those first thirty minutes of him learning to adapt and fight on a hostile alien planet all alone were really great.

Jan 3, 2018
It's like the Teacher from Pink Floyd's The Wall:

scarfe1.jpg

"IF YOU DON'T FINISH YOUR BACKLOG, YA CAN'T WANT THE DIRECT!
HOW CAN YOU WANT THE DIRECT IF YA DON'T FINISH YOUR BACKLOG?!"

Hahaha nice.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Either way, Nintendo ended up making the right move in the long run considering how all of Archie's licensed stuff eventually went up in flames
Worlds Unite ended up being a huge mistake for them (it cost a lot to get all of those Sega and Capcom franchises in there), but with Nintendo present too, it sure would've been something special.

Also way more expensive to do, probably leading to even faster cancellations for all of those series.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Really? personally Metroid 1 is much much better than Metroid 2. Metroid 2 is the real shit that I never want to play again.
No way, lol. Metroid 2 is pretty rough now, but still closer in mechanics to super metroid than metroid nes. You at least don't go into rooms with enemies flying at you. And have save stations.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I'm basing that off Illumination, a studio that has put out very few good movies, in my opinion. I also doubt Disney would shorthand Nintendo of all companies when it comes to staffing for their productions.

Now, if Dreamworks had gotten their hands on Mario, that'd be a different story.

With the right direction I can see how Illumination will do a great movie (if that will be the Mario Movie is a different question).

Sony Animation proved that you don't need to be part of Disney to create a great Animation film like Spiderverse, even when your previous films were even worse than the minions.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I would've been down to see a Blomkamp Halo film. He's a massive fan and i think the Mandalorian proves it can work.

We'll see how this Shotime series goes.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
It felt great to be playing an actual 2D Metroid again when Samus Returns came out.

But the game is just sooooooo bland and boring. By far the worst 2D Metroid.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
With the right direction I can see how Illumination will do a great movie (if that will be the Mario Movie is a different question).

Sony Animation proved that you don't need to be part of Disney to create a great Animation film like Spiderverse, even when your previous films were even worse than the minions.

We'll see, but at the moment, I'm super skeptical.

Definitely, there's tons of great animation studios out there besides just Disney. Some of them rival Disney in quality.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I tried playing Metorid 1 on NES sooooooo many times over the years but I sucked at it. Heck I even used youtube guides and still died.

Metroid Samus Returns came out on 3DS and I gave it a shot. Fell in love right away and I've been a fan of Metroid 2D ever since. I now have finished Samus Returns, Super Metroid, and Zero Mission. I do need to track down a copy of Fushion at some point.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Worlds Unite ended up being a huge mistake for them (it cost a lot to get all of those Sega and Capcom franchises in there), but with Nintendo present too, it sure would've been something special.

Also way more expensive to do, probably leading to even faster cancellations for all of those series.
Is that why WU hasn't shown up digitally? I really want to read it, but I don't want to get the trades.

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My actual dream cast for a Metroid Movie:

Samus Aran: Brie Larson
Director: Ridley Scott
Original Score: Hans Zimmer

What else do we need?

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Sorry, friendo; I like Other M. Did a few things very wrong but for a Ninja Gaiden-esque Metroid, I had quite a lot of fun with it.
No more just that you put Prime 2 below Prime 3. Other M did have quite a few things going for it and I'll admit I had some fun with it, just the bad outweighed the good for me.

Neill Blomkamp? Sorry, but no, no, no. The real answer is still Ridley Scott.
Sorry buddy Neill hasn't let me down have you seen the OATS short films, spectacular. I'd take Chappie over any recent Ridley Scott film.
I don't trust Ridley Scott to make a good movie anymore let alone a good Metroid one.

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry buddy Neill hasn't let me down have you seen the OATS short films, spectacular. I'd take Chappie over any recent Ridley Scott film.
I don't trust Ridley Scott to make a good movie anymore let alone a good Metroid one.

I've seen Chappie and I really liked it! But I still think that Ridley Scott has more experience with Science Fiction Movies. With the help of a good story I think he could make an epic Metroid Movie.

Nov 8, 2017
I bring this up all the time when people are discussing a Metroid movie and usually get ignored (probably with good reason) but I'm still convinced that the first 30 minutes of Riddick is the perfect template for a Metroid movie.

The overall movie (Riddick) kinda sucked but those first thirty minutes of him learning to adapt and fight on a hostile alien planet all alone were really great.

I'm with you, good atmosphere and world building.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Man, I'm watching this super depressing video about Super Mario Galaxy, and now I want Nintendo to port the damn game already. Fuck 3D World, give us the Galaxy Duology!

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
for a zelda series i would combine elements of oot and botw

make it more fantasy war focused then puzzles and dungeons

kind if hard to transfer Zelda dungeons to non video game form

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
for a zelda series i would combine elements of oot and botw

make it more fantasy war focused then puzzles and dungeons

kind if hard to transfer Zelda dungeons to non video game form
Wind Waker adaption would actually work wonders. Just adjust a few things and Tetra isn't sideline in the middle and you'll probably get a great movie

Nov 8, 2017
Just want to do some quick fun math. This topic is like 10 days old. We have 15642 posts.

1564 posts per day
65 posts per hour
That's about a post every minute.

The thirst is real, we are forged as fuck for this direct. No joke we are gonna need a spillover OT for next Thursday like OT 6 and 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.