• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Oracle games are the ones that need a full 3D overhaul IMO, OG Link's Awakening and Minish Cap are perfectly fine on their own (though I wouldn't say no to a Minish Cap remake that adds an extra dungeon or something)

The Oracle games on the othe rhand are bursting at the seams on the Game Boy and would work so well if totally upgraded. Unfortunately I'm expecting another 1:1 remake if it happens with only the bare minimum improvements.

supervino256

Aug 14, 2019
Minish Cap is PERFECT for the diorama artstyle : all the indoor scenes, the Figurine Gallery, the minish places ...
And the music is so great... Damn, I might play it again this weekend !

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much all 2D Zelda games are about the same length (14-16h). I think only Spirit Tracks might be slightly longer.

On the topic of the next 2D remake, there's a potentially fantastic package in an Oracles collection but I won't get my hopes up for that.
Oracle collection is the only Zelda I never got to play/finish (I did have a copy) and I even beat the CDi games. It would be an insta buy for me. How does it hold up nowadays?

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Shout-out to the absolute weirdest thing Nintendo has literally ever done.

[THIS IS AN OLD DIRECT]

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I had a dream last night that Nintendo announced a new line of Switches who only differed from the original in the storage capacity. There was a 64GB one and a 128GB one, and for some reason both of them launched with Control (the game).

And this was all announced via PR, not even a tweet.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not as poor as you claim, if you read my initial post it was simply a comparison with FF7's level of effort and production values. I have literally at no point claimed it should be episodic. Although it'd have taken far longer to make, sure, I'm not convinced that it'd be a 5+ year project as you claim (LA is, after all, tiny). If it eats into the development of new Zeldas, so be it! Isn't the narrative here that LA is one of the greatest games ever made? Shouldn't it deserve such treatment?
But FF7Rs production values and "level of effort" are why its episodic. Its why Square cant get put a big game in any reasonable timeframe for ages now.
You dont seem to make the connection between these things for some reason.

Tell all the people who are waiting for BotW2 they have to wait even longer because you want a 3D remake of a 10 hour game.

Your idea of "3D is better than 2D" is not one most people share when it comes to Zelda.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oracle collection is the only Zelda I never got to play/finish (I did have a copy) and I even beat the CDi games. It would be an insta buy for me. How does it hold up nowadays?

Extremely well IMO and they do the "two versions" thing much better than most other games with two distinct playstyles. But same as Link's Awakening they could benefit greatly from a graphical upgrade and some UI/QoL features.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Anyway I had a dream last night that Nintendo announced a new line of Switches who only differed from the original in the storage capacity. There was a 64GB one and a 128GB one, and for some reason both of them launched with Control (the game).

And this was all announced via PR, not even a tweet.
This would not be surprising in the slightest at this point

Cheesehead302

Jun 7, 2019
Link's Awakening was pretty good, although I'm surprised nobody's mentioned my personal biggest problem. It's not the frame rate or anything, it's the fact that in order to 100% you are requured to waste your time doing the dungeon creator mini game. That is such a slog that bogs down the game, and because of it I doubt I'll ever 100% it again. Also another small issue I had was idk if it was only me, but the design of certain bosses (just one or two) weren't designed in a way so that the player could.immediately know which item to use. Like, I remember having to cycle through each item until I found the right one. Usual, the deaign of Zelda bosses is in such a way that shows the player exactly which item to use, so it was kind of odd. Small complaints thought; I'm sure I'll go through it again in the future.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they'd handle remakes of the Oracle duology. Sell the game in one package? Sell both separately? Selling them separately strikes me as a bit ridiculous, but then again they didn't have any issues selling LA for full price either.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how they'd handle remakes of the Oracle duology. Sell the game in one package? Sell both separately? Selling them separately strikes me as a bit ridiculous, but then again they didn't have any issues selling LA for full price either.
Sell them both at full price but you can then buy the other one at a discount, like they did with that Fire Emblem Fates game

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Minish Cap is amazing. The only thing I remember disliking was that the overworld had too many artificial blockings, like a knight standing on an exit tile of an area stopping you from going to a new place.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
But FF7Rs production values and "level of effort" are why its episodic. Its why Square cant get put a big game in any reasonable timeframe for ages now.
You dont seem to make the connection between these things for some reason.

Tell all the people who are waiting for BotW2 they have to wait even longer because you want a 3D remake of a 10 hour game.

Your idea of "3D is better than 2D" is not one most people share when it comes to Zelda.

So there's no intermediate between modest 2D remake with some technical issues and no extra features versus pull out all of the stops?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'd completely be up for remade Oracle games.

Alternatively, a new top-down game in the LA (2019) style could be grand - especially if Nintendo experiment with non-linear structure and other newer ideas in the top-down style.

EliR

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I disagree.

Even if Minish Cap was "perfect" (it isn't, by far), many "perfect" games have received remakes in the past.

I don't see the logic behind this.

My logic behind it is fuck remakes. All of them. All resources spend on remakes should be put towards new games. Virtual console or developer-supported emulation should be the only way a game has to be replayed. Every single dollar spend on making a game that's already been made is a dollar too much.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Minish Cap is PERFECT for the diorama artstyle

I think I fixed your sentence. It doens't need a remake at all.
Minish Cap is flawed due to the button limitations. It needs a remake just to have a better play experience without the constant item swapping.
Also, imagine the tilt shift graphics from Link's Awakening but cel shadeS like Wind Waker. It'd look AMAZING.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Combine both games into a single remake. Link with the Rod of Seasons and the Harp of Ages!! All the animal buddies!

$59.99. One extra long game with *you know who* waiting at the end in an entirely new mega dungeon.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
FF7R is pulling out all of the stops, and it was your example. So yeah... Thats why I said its a poor reference.

I don't think we need to conflate pulling out all of the stops with being episodic. A ten hour remake of LA would not require 10-15 years and three development cycles to complete.

Unless, of course, you disagree, and don't think Nintendo are up to it?

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I like thinking of BotW as Nintendo's idea of "remaking" original LoZ. When you think of how often they invoked that game when talking about BotW prior to release, it has that feel of "this is close to what we had in mind when making that game back in the 80s, but the technology just wasn't there." But instead of doing a remake, it's a brand new thing that is inspired by the original design of this older game. I prefer that approach. A full 3D remake of a 2D Zelda game (i.e. Link's Awakening) wouldn't be the same game anymore, so just make a different game that takes inspiration from it.

Doesn't Control run badly on platforms other than PC?
It really struggled even on Xbox One X. I played it at launch so I don't know if it's better now, though. Either way, that game does a ton with particles and destructible environments and all of that would probably have to go for a hypothetical Switch version.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A couple cool PAX East announcements for Switch:

Sludge Life looks really interesting, if a bit confusing as hell.

Also the Control stuff is literally just from a dream I had, I didn't mean anything else by it. I thought the dream was worth sharing because it was a few huge announcements that weren't even tweeted, let alone in a Direct, so I thought you guys would find it funny.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think we need to conflate pulling out all of the stops with being episodic. A ten hour remake of LA would not require 10-15 years and three development cycles to complete.

Unless, of course, you disagree, and don't think Nintendo are up to it?
No, what we need to conflate is FF7R being a gigantic effort that grew in scope so much they had to make it episodic to release at least something years after its announcement.

You want the same scope without the dev time or whatever else comes with it. You think the Midgar section in the og FF7 is as long as the Remake will be?

I think Nintendo wants to release more than 2 big games every 5 years, which is why they dont allocate a shitton of resources to a single game. Which is a reasonable thing to do, and has nothing to do with being "up to it" or "effort".

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
Your FF7R example is really poor. If you want Nintendo to only work on the first third of LA for 5+ years while not bringing out any other Zelda games, or bigger games in general ( or even Metroid 5) youd have a point. I doubt youd want that though.
You're totally right, Ff7 remake definitely completely destroyed squenixs output. It's not like they put out a giant new entry in one of their biggest series and a new, huge, incredibly highly rated expansion for ff xiv in the past year.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Sludge Life looks really interesting, if a bit confusing as hell.

Also the Control stuff is literally just from a dream I had, I didn't mean anything else by it. I thought the dream was worth sharing because it was a few huge announcements that weren't even tweeted, let alone in a Direct, so I thought you guys would find it funny.

Congrats. You've just become an Insider. Click-hungry videos & articles incoming.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just thinking about Link's Awakening and how the game lives from the condensed, simplified and bizarro-dreamlike world, the mere idea of a remake expanding what was never meant to be expanded is just befuddling. The remake isn't really perfect (performance issues, the dungeon maker that feels like more of an experiment/prototype rather than a thought out feature etc.) but it owes it partially to the original it's based on. What made LA special was to a large degree that it played around the limitations of the Game Boy to deliver an almost console-level Zelda experience on a handheld in 1993. It's literally impossible to replicate that same impact in 2019 when you can play BotW on the Switch. There are many other games in the same franchise that would benefit more from a more "ambitious" reimagining.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
No, what we need to conflate is FF7R being a gigantic effort that grew in scope so much they had to make it episodic to release at least something years after its announcement.

You want the same scope without the dev time or whatever else comes with it. You think the Midgar section in the og FF7 is as long as the Remake will be?

I think Nintendo wants to release more than 2 big games every 5 years, which is why they dont allocate a shitton of resources to a single game. Which is a reasonable thing to do, and has nothing to do with being "up to it" or "effort".

I suppose allocating lots of time and resources to a Zelda game is pretty unprecedented.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're totally right, Ff7 remake definitely completely destroyed squenixs output. It's not like they put out a giant new entry in one of their biggest series and a new, huge, incredibly highly rated expansion for ff xiv in the past year.
Lol at citing FFXV as an example for a good release schedule. We waited aeons for that. And we waited aeons for FF7R, too. And its not even the complete experience.
Tjeir output isnt "destroyed", it just isnt what other devs should strive for. At all.

The expansions for FFXIV are the only thing that works well.

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
Lol at citing FFXV as an example for a good release schedule. We waited aeons for that. And we waited aeons for FF7R, too. And its not even the complete experience.
Tjeir output isnt "destroyed", it just isnt what other devs should strive for. At all.

The expansions for FFXIV are the only thing that works well.
I never mentioned ff xv? That was a notorious mess. Squenix has way more than final fantasy, they've been putting out dq games, nier, Octopath, etc. at a great rate, PLUS still new ff with xiv

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
It would be for a remake, yes. And if you think the budget for BotW and FFR7 are even remotely comparable you need to wake up lol.

I'd like to, again, ask you to familiarise yourself with my original post, in which I claim that LA should have a FFVII-esque graphical overhaul; LA is tiny game; it wouldn't actually be possible to turn it into three games like you're claiming, it wouldn't be possible for it to reach the budget that you're claiming.

You're so aggrieved by the idea of a 3D remake that you're painting a bizarre fantasy scenario in which it's the gaming equivalent of developing the Pyramids of Giza.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
How difficult is it to understand that there are people who do not want a game with 2D gameplay to have 3D gameplay?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing is the kind of game that can co exist with other big releases. It's a unique kind of game that can be played for years together with other games. I don't think Nintendo delayed the direct because of Animal Crossing. I still think the Corona virus had a huge affect on their schedule.
I don't think the direct was delayed. Until we some of the korea leaked games announced, it's under the assumption that this is planned.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
I was looking at the list of Nintendo Directs on wikipedia and someone seems to think we're getting one soon lol

ERyvMu3XkAMc7Yd

Status
Not open for further replies.