• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Lack of Directs just made me start playing Splatterhouse (2010) on the 360.

Nintendo, look what you did to me.

Oct 31, 2017
Cause we want metroid and paper mario

New PM or a duology remake ? :P

The dark cloud of the forum is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural
Make the sacrifice
Summon the direct

giphy.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Watching some gameplay of TW101 on Switch... I do NOT like the overlay of the second screen, that's super distracting. Ideally there will be a way to turn it off.

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I wonder if the lack of direct so far this year has anything to do with COVID19.

Tbh,
  • Nintendo don't outsource to Chinese developers
  • You can buy your games online on the eShop.
  • A direct is usally filmed weeks prior to its airing and is produced comfortably in Nintendo's offices in a room with a green background probably :p, it's not a public keynote in front of 1000 strangers.
  • They already showed several game specific directs so between Pokémon/Smash and Animal crossing and the games in the directs I don't see why one should not be shown because of COVID while a game releasing in march is shown.
  • Whilst COVID can trigger delays, you can still show your game and replace the release date with a TBD/coming soon

The direct will air when they want to, and it's probably already saved on a hard disk. Next week could be a Direct week after all.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the question NateDrake: have you heard whether the latest COVID-19 developments have created disruptions compared to the original plans for the Direct? Or better, have you heard if Nintendo's own upcoming lineup might face delays due to outsourced development in China being halted / considerably slowed down (in the case they're using outsourced development in China at all for their next titles, which is unknown at this point)? Potential development issues could explain the Direct missing even beyond the currently expected (from us) March timing.

In case you can't answer, no worries, it's understansable.

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
The worst part about Zippo's info being wrong is that now Paper Mario's status is thrown back into limbo. I mean, being the worn out fan that I am, I needed to see-to-believe Zippo's rumors on the game, but it was good to know that it was at least the slightest bit possible that it could be a return to form.

Now it could just be another Sticker Star-like game for all we know. I really don't want another experiment. Everytime Paper Mario has "experimented", the gameplay ended up being bad (I love Super Paper Mario, but it's moreso a clever visual novel than a good video game to play)

My logic behind it is fuck remakes. All of them. All resources spend on remakes should be put towards new games. Virtual console or developer-supported emulation should be the only way a game has to be replayed. Every single dollar spend on making a game that's already been made is a dollar too much.

Now you know why I get ticked off when people always suggest a remake of the first two Paper Mario games.

People are always telling me to "move on" from TTYD. More than fine with doing so as long as Nintendo can give us an even better Paper Mario game.

So far they haven't, and i'd be bummed out if they were just retreading old steps again instead of actually trying to improve upon TTYD.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The worst part about Zippo's info being wrong is that now Paper Mario's status is thrown back into limbo. I mean, being the worn out fan that I am, I needed to see-to-believe Zippo's rumors on the game, but it was good to know that it was at least the slightest bit possible that it could be a return to form.

Now it could just be another Sticker Star-like game for all we know. I really don't want another experiment. Everytime Paper Mario has "experimented", the gameplay ended up being bad (I love Super Paper Mario, but it's moreso a clever visual novel than a good video game to play)

Now you know why I get ticked off when people always suggest a remake of the first two Paper Mario games.

People are always telling me to "move on" from TTYD. More than fine with doing so as long as Nintendo can give us an even better Paper Mario game.

So far they haven't, and i'd be bummed out if they were just retreading old steps again instead of actually trying to improve upon TTYD.

Pretty much every Nintendo game has come back to form or near form with the Switch. So it's reasonable to expect Paper Mario to do the same.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Lack of Directs just made me start playing Splatterhouse (2010) on the 360.

Nintendo, look what you did to me.
Ahhhh I love my fix of goofy, brainless, gory game.

Just finished the first stage and I have enjoyed it. The game actually has a couple of pretty good a ideas for games this kind:
- The "amputation" QTEs are effective and satisfying with the use of sticks and rumble.
- The charged attack with the Y button is pretty satisfying too. It allows you to choose your target (highlited with an orange contour) while charging and slows down time a bit.

I don´t know why, but while playing, certain gem came to my mind...

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
It is absolutely insane that I'm looking at my calendar of games to look forward to this year and because of Nintendo and them holding their third-party partners from revealing anything until this Nintendo Direct which still hasn't taken place going a quarter into 2020 is absolutely insane. After next month, there's literally just ONE noteworthy retail game on Switch with a release date (Trials of Mana in April). That just doesn't make any sense.

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
Sorry for the question NateDrake: have you heard whether the latest COVID-19 developments have created disruptions compared to the original plans for the Direct? Or better, have you heard if Nintendo's own upcoming lineup might face delays due to outsourced development in China being halted / considerably slowed down (in the case they're using outsourced development in China at all for their next titles, which is unknown at this point)? Potential development issues could explain the Direct missing even beyond the currently expected (from us) March timing.

In case you can't answer, no worries, it's understansable.

I know i'm not Nate; but I do think I remember a post from him saying Directs are planned very early in advance and dating rarely shifts. There was probably never intended to be a February Direct, for better or worse.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
To be honest i dont want to disrespect Zippo or anything but if you remember Marcus Sellars also have March 2018 Direct date right and everything else was not, am not saying this is the case this time tho.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I know i'm not Nate; but I do think I remember a post from him saying Directs are planned very early in advance and dating rarely shifts. There was probably never intended to be a February Direct, for better or worse.
Seems to be the case. Knowing Nintendo, they always planned for it to be early March (or whenever it is) and are baffled as to why everyone is so annoyed we haven't had one yet.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Is today the day that marks the longest wait between general directs (discounting mini directs)?

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I think people are missing the point regarding the potential impact of Coronavirus. Not having developers in China is a very naive view!

It's very difficult to announce a game is launching on X date when at the same time you are pulling together contingency plans and business continuation plans for 1000s of employees that could be forced to stay at home for 2-4 weeks in the event of an outbreak.

Is it the reason for a potential delay to a Direct? I still doubt it at this point, but one thing is absolutely cast iron guaranteed - every major company from Japan to USA and everywhere inbetween is taking Coronavirus very seriously and preparing for a period of time where they likely have to down tools for a while.

Nintendo included.

Edit: realise that sounds very dramatic... but yea, it's definitely a thing. How many of us here work? Have you received an internal memo about Coronavirus? I expect many of us probably have done, right?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are missing the point regarding the potential impact of Coronavirus. Not having developers in China is a very naive view!

It's very difficult to announce a game is launching on X date when at the same time you are pulling together contingency plans and business continuation plans for 1000s of employees that could be forced to stay at home for 2-4 weeks in the event of an outbreak.

Is it the reason for a potential delay to a Direct? I still doubt it at this point, but one thing is absolutely cast iron guaranteed - every major company from Japan to USA and everywhere inbetween is taking Coronavirus very seriously and preparing for a period of time where they likely have to down tools for a while.

Nintendo included.

Edit: realise that sounds very dramatic... but yea, it's definitely a thing. How many of us here work? Have you received an internal memo about Coronavirus? I expect many of us probably have done, right?
I stil don't thibk a direct has been delayed because none of the korea games have been announced yet.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I stil don't thibk a direct has been delayed because none of the korea games have been announced yet.
Hrmm well I also dont believe in a delay to the Direct, but not sure the Korea thing indicates anything. I do firmly believe there will be some big delays to games this year though, but thays nothing new... haha

BotW2 in 2020 would be a shock... I think we'll see it at E3 and there will be just a "2021" at the end. Which is fine - they can take as long as they want with that one.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We got a "we don't know, maybe" response from the devs about a possible port. I think they need to be convinced by a talented port studio, just like Obsidian did by Virtuos.

They said more or less the same thing about Divinity Original Sin 2 a couple years ago, and ported the game themselves I believe. I have a feeling this one will come eventually too, just not for a long while.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Hrmm well I also dont believe in a delay to the Direct, but not sure the Korea thing indicates anything. I do firmly believe there will be some big delays to games this year though, but thays nothing new... haha

BotW2 in 2020 would be a shock... I think we'll see it at E3 and there will be just a "2021" at the end. Which is fine - they can take as long as they want with that one.
It indicates that all those leaked games from korea are coming, if nintendo delayed a direct, some would just get announced separately.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
What was the closest between an announcement and a release of a Nintendo physical game?

Donkey Kong Country Returns that was like 3 months?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Didn't one of them list Bioshock for a March date? If there's a direct, should come before that date, if not, they're gonna shadow drop all three games like they did with Thronebreaker and Warface.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo included.

Interestingly enough, I received a uni memo about it. It basically amounted to "better don't go to Italy now, pals". To be fair, Japan would probably take it more seriously for a multitude of reasons, but with their work ethic I can easily see software developers working at home somehow. That's, like, one business where it's a very viable option.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Interestingly enough, I received a uni memo about it. It basically amounted to "better don't go to Italy now, pals". To be fair, Japan would probably take it more seriously for a multitude of reasons, but with their work ethic I can easily see software developers working at home somehow. That's, like, one business where it's a very viable option.
I disagree. You need some pretty powerful kit to be able to do a lot of the roles, a massive amount of collaboration which is near impossible to do when everyone is out of the office, and then theres all the security restrictions and access rights - I suspect the vast majority of employees simply have zero access remotely.

Japan has already closed a load of schools, which means a parent is likely already having to stay home for the duration of March.

I did laugh at them closing schools but then saying after school clubs / child care providers can stay open. That's great... so the kids all gather together still, but you have to pay for it instead of it being a school!

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
On the second boss battle of Celeste right now. Holy shit, the game will not let you fuck up once. Y'all weren't kidding when you said that this was a precision platformer. Emphasis on precision.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way 2D Metroid isn't coming out this year. The only thing in question now is if it's Metroid 5 or a remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.