• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude if we get BotW 2, Paper Mario, Metroid 5, and Mario Golf I would shit bricks. That's a killer line up. It would definitely ignite the hype. I have a hard time believing BotW 2, Paper Mario, and Metroid 5 would all hit in one year but I'm here for it if they do!
It'd be like the greatest non E3 direct ever!

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Aside from Xenoblade and BotW2, I'm actually more interested in what third parties will deliver. Bravely Default II, possibly Monster Hunter, Trials of Mana Demo, possibly SMT V/Atlus in general (Etrian Odyssey???), NISA (further Falcom ports?), etc...

I don't expect anything new Fire Emblem for now, neither a Remake and especially not a new mainline game announcement. Though I'd take an upgraded Fire Emblem Warriors.

E: Oh, yeah, Metroid stuff and Bayonetta would make for great additions as well!

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Do you all think next year is the year that we'll start seeing things like rhythm heaven and wario ware on switch? I love those series so much.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I really want/need to know how much money I am going to spend on Nintendo videogames this year lol

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I'd like to see a new IP. I'd also be very interested in what the Rabbids devs have been up to (I know that's not first party but I've been playing it recently and it's great. And the Donkey Kong DLC is more like a little mini sequel than a DLC).

Guess I'd also love a Wave Race or F Zero. Both seem unlikely, though. And Switch sports. I fail to believe that wouldn't make a decent amount of money.

Daylight savings
OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Daylight savings has now begun for much (?) of the United States and some other Western countries. For those affected that means 11pm JST is now 10am EDT, meaning:

Direct all your General Direct* announcement plans towards that time, and don't panic when nothing happens at 9am EDT. Save your panicking for the next hour.

*As many of you recently noted the Animal Crossing Direct was announced at an odd time, outside of the usual 11pm JST. This apparently has happened before for game specific Directs, but nobody has pointed out a General Direct being announced outside of 11pm in recent memory.

Last edited:

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Daylight savings has now begun for the western world. That means 11pm JST is now 10am EDT, meaning:

Direct all your General Direct* announcement plans towards that time, and don't panic when nothing happens at 9am EDT. Save your panicking for the next hour.

*As many of you recently noted the Animal Crossing Direct was announced at an odd time, outside of the usual 11pm JST. This apparently has happened before for game specific Directs, but nobody has pointed out a General Direct being announced outside of 11pm in recent memory.
Western world?????, not even all of the US observe it AFAIK, which other countries do?
Outworlders unite!!! nothing has change for us.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Daylight savings has now begun for the western world. That means 11pm JST is now 10am EDT, meaning:

France is doing it in 3 weeks.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You mean United States? Not everyone is doing it and even in America not everyone does it

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
So how many are betting on this week?

Last week I said I was roughly evenly split between last week and this week, with only a 10% chance of it not being in one of those two weeks. So now I'd say, based on absolutely nothing, that I think it has a 90% chance of happening this week.

I haven't been really surprised or concerned when a direct has failed to materialize in previous weeks, but if we don't get one this week, I will raise my eyebrows.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
7TcsqFY.gif

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I had no idea. I feel like that must be awfully confusing for them when they have to do business with other states.

It gets better.

Within the borders of the state of Arizona, the Navajo Nation does observe DST. However, the Hopi Reservation, which is not a part of the Navajo Nation but is completely surrounded by it, does not observe DST.

So there is like a little DST-observing donut within the one contiguous state that does not observe DST. If you move from the Hopi Reservation to Las Vegas, you start in an area that does not observe DST, enter an area that does observe DST, enter an area that does not observe DST, and then enter an area that does observe DST.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It gets better.

Within the borders of the state of Arizona, the Navajo Nation does observe DST. However, the Hopi Reservation, which is not a part of the Navajo Nation but is completely surrounded by it, does not observe DST.

So there is like a little DST-observing donut within the one contiguous state that does not observe DST. If you move from the Hopi Reservation to Las Vegas, you start in an area that does not observe DST, enter an area that does observe DST, enter an area that does not observe DST, and then enter an area that does observe DST.

Hawaii sounds simpler. I think I'll just live there.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Speaking of money, it'd be nice if NOA brought back the vouchers just in time for Animal Crossing. It's BS they made it limited here in the first place.
I am european, so lucky me. I spent 2 whole vouchers last year. Vouchers are cool.

I'm hoping for a better spread of titles I want, September to November was rough.
If 2020 turns out to be acceptable/good, H2 is going to be packed. Unless we have a Direct soon to reveal many games for the upcoming 3 months lol

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
So I had the impossible Direct Dream I have officially sunk into Madness.

So the Direct started with Nintendo telling people to not use the off-brand GameCube controllers. They are talking about the ones that look like the Nintendo Official Controllers but cheaper plastic and missing the logo

After that they showed off the ability to become a gym leader in Pokémon Sword and Shield, you had to stop traveling around but you could do a secret base level of customization on your gym.

They did a reel of third party games, but I missed any showing of Bioshock.

They finalized the direct with Cinderace being the first character in the Smash Brothers fighters pass.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I don't know what ya'll are complaining about, Daylight time rocks
The time change, mainly. It just needs to pick one and stick to it (I prefer Daylight Time over Standard Time too, but as long as we stick with one, I'll live).
www.cnn.com

Daylight savings year-round could save lives, improve sleep and other benefits | CNN

In my research on daylight saving time, I have found that Americans don't like it when Congress messes with their clocks.
www.mercurynews.com

Why Californians voted for permanent daylight saving time but don’t have it

Permanent daylight saving would add more darker mornings to the calendar.
www.tampabay.com

Daylight Saving Time begins Sunday, and Marco Rubio is still mad about it

The senator from Florida is still trying to abolish the practice and bring more sunshine to the States.
www.news4jax.com

Senate OKs bill to give Georgia voters daylight saving say

Georgia residents could soon get to vote on whether to keep changing their clocks twice a year for daylight saving time under a bill that unanimously passed the state Senate on Monday.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
The next Direct has to be in March, right? Wouldn't they want it before the next fiscal year?

I know it's a long shot, but I really hope during the investor's Q&A they ask why they left their new game announcements for the calendar year so late (specifically new games; I feel like without that exact wording they'd weasel out of the question with "oh ho well technically we released several directs of information for Smash and Pokemon")

Like, just genuine curiousity why they thought it was a good idea.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
It's gonna be this week (come on it just has to be) and no there won't be a backlash. With the biggest unknown we've had since who knows when, Nintendo will definitely come through and satisfy the majority of the fanbase. BotW 2, Paper Mario, Metroid 5, Mario Golf, Splatoon spin-off, eShop games, XenoblaDE, third party games, etc people will be happy. Also, it'll help people who are worried about Covid 19 impacting Nintendo
This is an extremely optimistic take. Doubtful we see even half that. I expect a port for May/June, like Pikmin 3 or 3D World, and that's about it for the first half of the year.

I don't know if I'd expect Mario Golf quite so soon. Mario Tennis Aces was June 2018 and they supported that with a year of DLC. Camelot is not a super big company.

I'm sure it'll be Nintendo's "June game" one of these years, but I don't know if I can see it being this year. That would be a very aggressive turnaround.
The DLC for Tennis Aces was very minor stuff. I definitely think it's possible they could have golf ready this year.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The DLC for Tennis Aces was very minor stuff. I definitely think it's possible they could have golf ready this year.

I don't see it at all. Camelot is a small team and unlike with Aces, they don't already have an HD Mario Golf game to build on. There's no way that's taking less than three years. I mean, if Golf is ready this year that basically requires some weird scenario where Camelot finished Aces a year+ ahead of its release and moved on to Golf. That sort of stuff does sometimes happen with Nintendo, but I don't think it's ever the likeliest scenario.

Nov 8, 2017
Man I do wish we knew about Nintendo's release schedule up until the end of July, I want to know what I can spend my vouchers on. One is going to Animal Crossing. But Super Mario Maker 2 is on sale now - do I use my voucher on something else yet to release that won't be on sale soon? I prefer physical releases by far but some games are just better digitally.

Help me out, my Nintendo Direct support group fellas.

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
Man I do wish we knew about Nintendo's release schedule up until the end of July, I want to know what I can spend my vouchers on. One is going to Animal Crossing. But Super Mario Maker 2 is on sale now - do I use my voucher on something else yet to release that won't be on sale soon? I prefer physical releases by far but some games are just better digitally.

Help me out, my Nintendo Direct support group fellas.
If you have nothing you absolutely want to use it on right now, you might as well wait and see what comes out in the future.

Nov 8, 2017
If you have nothing you absolutely want to use it on right now, you might as well wait and see what comes out in the future.

I would have liked to use it on SMM2 but I can get that on sale now for $40 and use the voucher for a $60 game in the future.

Are there any rumored games would be more convenient to own digitally this year?

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
I would have liked to use it on SMM2 but I can get that on sale now for $40 and use the voucher for a $60 game in the future.

Are there any rumored games would be more convenient to own digitally this year?
We're all in the dark right now. Emily said that there would be heavy amounts of RPGs and casual games this year. I find the latter tends to lend itself well to being digital.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
My new predictions:
March - Animal Crossing (duh)
April - nothing
May - nothing
June - Super Mario 3D World
July - Xenoblade Chronicles DE
August - nothing
September - Metroid 5 (hell yeah)
October - BOTW2
November - Paper Mario (maybe)
December - nothing
January - Pikmin 3+
February - Metroid Prime Trilogy HD (finally)

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
My new predictions:
March - Animal Crossing (duh)
April - nothing
May - nothing
June - Super Mario 3D World
July - Xenoblade Chronicles DE
August - nothing
September - Metroid 5 (hell yeah)
October - BOTW2
November - Paper Mario (maybe)
December - nothing
January - Pikmin 3+
February - Metroid Prime Trilogy HD (finally)
Nintendo will want to aim higher. If you look at software sales targets then Nintendo will aim at over more than 100 million software sales. The list you made won't come anywhere close to that so I think you will have to be a little more optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.