• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

Apr 9, 2018
Upstate, NY
I feel like part of this might have to do with Nintendo wanting to see what happens with E3. With E3 being cancelled and there being no need to really host a Direct in June this year, maybe Nintendo just decided to spread things out a bit more - wait until the end of March, air a massive Direct showcasing the majority of their 2020 plans, including stuff for this Fall that they'd normally wait until E3 to show and then we may not see another General Direct until sometime in the Summer. We may only get 2-3 of them this year in total, and instead fill out the year with game-specific Direct's and Nindies showcases instead.

So if waiting until the end of March for a Direct that's going to give us many more announcements than one in January would have is the move, then I'm here for it.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Not a hint to anything, but curious to read the room.

How would people here feel about a Super Mario 64 remake for Switch?
I would be amazed. Not because of the game per se, but because there would be more 3D Mario games on the Switch. It's one of Nintendo's best franchises, and I believe it would be great if we got 2-3 3D Mario games per system. I would prefer Sunshine though, the game is very special to me and an overhaul (especially for the controls) would really help.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
As someone who has actually been doing this shit for longer than I can remember now (reading about/following Nintendo stuff on the Internet!) I for one would mark the f**k out at the return of Space World. :D

Even if it was just them naming their replacement event that and it wasn't like, an expo obviously.

This is the thread to dream in right? I dream for the return of Space World!

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I think the Mario 64 skin in Odyssey shows Nintendo sees that Mario design as a specifically iconic version of him, like the SMB sprite. As such, I think they'd rather just keep releasing Mario 64 than to remaster it. As for how I'd feel, it would be cool and all, but I wouldn't go nuts or anything.

Oh God... the Galaxy games deserve a touched-up version so much more than 64. Would be cool for like Switch 3 or whatever but I really want Galaxy HD.

I also agree with this.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Finally caught up on the last 16 hours or so of posts. Wow! What an eventful evening to not be looking at Resetera :P

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
Yes they will. I discussed this earlier. Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World of course are the unknown ports. That's 6 games total.

Nintendo publishes 20+ games a year. That gives me 14 games for Nintendo to publish. Some will probably be third party ports, but the majority will be brand new Nintendo games. Emily said this would be a great year like 2017 and 2019. You can't accomplish that with more ports than new games
If we count Famicom Detective Club remakes (don't know if they are 1 or 2 games) and the Brain Training game then it's 7:2

Nintendo needs to announce at least 5 new games to make it even (not.counting 3rd party published since they are region specific)

Do you think that's achievable? Leaving small eShop games aside, I think chances are very slim.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

I'd prefer a new title. It depends what else happens around it. By 'new title', I mean if I had the choice, I'd take a new 3D Mario over a remake of Super Mario 64. If Super Mario 64 was handled externally, with some oversight from EPD Tokyo, leaving EPD Tokyo to make another, new game (not necessarily Mario), I'd be more interested.

I'm less interested in individual remakes than I am a balanced line-up. With a 3D World port seemingly inevitable, I'd rather see a new 3D Mario or a new game from EPD Tokyo next.
but it arguably replaced a new game of a similar scope
There's no real proof of that. Grezzo handled Link's Awakening with some help from EPD 3, and Grezzo are a small team. Their brief with Nintendo has almost entirely been remasters, ports and remakes, with the exception of Ever Oasis (which bombed, sadly) and co-development duties on Triforce Heroes.

Don't get me wrong - I'd take a new top-down Zelda over further remakes - but it's not as simple as 'X team made Y remake, when X team could make a new project'. A new project would be different in scope - it'd need planning, writing, level and map design and so on, which already all existed for Link's Awakening.

Oct 27, 2017
Mario 64 doesn't need a remake. I recently replayed the original and it hasn't aged, even the visuals. A true timeless masterpiece. The best 3D Mario ever made.

It's my favorite game of all time but it's delusional to say it hasn't aged. The camera has certainly aged.

they already have some 64 assets from Odyssey, it would be a great $40-$50 release imo

Or at least you know give us n64 games on eshop

Venture Beat prediction
OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
An update for those who missed it yesterday,

Venture Beat is predicting that the Direct will take place on the week of March 26th, likely on the 26th, and that an Indie showcase/presentation will take place next week, likely on March 18th.

Venture Beat: March Nintendo Direct in the works with focus on 2020 lineup (Indie World on March 18th, Nintendo Direct the week after)

The next Nintendo Direct is in the works. The publisher hasn’t confirmed the event yet, but it’s in the final stages of putting the video presentation together. That’s based on what we’re hearing as well as some other indicators. Expect a Nintendo Direct soon. The company is penciling in one of...

EDIT: Apparently I should point out that Zhuge liked or retweeted this or something so it seems to be pretty rock solid.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we count Famicom Detective Club remakes (don't know if they are 1 or 2 games) and the Brain Training game then it's 7:2

Nintendo needs to announce at least 5 new games to make it even (not.counting 3rd party published since they are region specific)

Do you think that's achievable? Leaving small eShop games aside, I think chances are very slim.
Paper Mario
Metroid V
BotW 2
EPD 9 game (Nintendogs, ARMS, Mario Kart)
Splatoon spin-off
2D Kirby
A new retail IP (they've had one every year for Switch)

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not Ninjala, it's a whole new thing.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
What would come out of a possible Nintendo take on souls genre? I'd love a new action rpg IP from Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.