• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They're announcing a big game on Wednesday pre PAX.

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway yeah I'd be very interested to know where ?oe?oe is coming from here.

For now I'm just gonna assume it's nothing though, cause basically everything has been nothing this year so far.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
Now that Nintendo blowed their Animal Crossing load they have nothing dated after it.
After Pokemon: MD on March 6th and AC on March 20th, there's nothing coming up with even quarter target.

If no games are announced before March 20th, it will be the first time in decades, I would dare to say, that Nintendo doesn't have at least 1 dated game.

End of FY is on March 31st so they better announce something before or the investors will become very concerned and mad.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Not everyone who makes a definite statement is an insider. If so, let me try!

Nintendo will bring back Donkey Kong Country this year.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Feels like now that Nintendo has the AC Direct out of the way and preorders humming, a General won't be far behind. They'll likely have a short AC section during that too, and frankly who can blame them?

AC and Pokémon are juggernauts; as frustrating as it is to not know much beyond March, Nintendo knows those two games to end the FY are pretty much all they needed, they could afford to hold stuff til Q2 and beyond. And looking at the sales of SwSh and how AC will print money, they aren't wrong.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
Feels like now that Nintendo has the AC Direct out of the way and preorders humming, a General won't be far behind. They'll likely have a short AC section during that too, and frankly who can blame them?

AC and Pokémon are juggernauts; as frustrating as it is to not know much beyond March, Nintendo knows those two games to end the FY are pretty much all they needed, they could afford to hold stuff til Q2 and beyond. And looking at the sales of SwSh and how AC will print money, they aren't wrong.
Some said in the past that the 1st party droughts were done on purpose to let 3rd party games sell and then justify further 3rd party releases.

I don't think Nintendo cares about doing that, they help 3rd parties in other ways.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Some said in the past that the 1st party droughts were done on purpose to let 3rd party games sell and then justify further 3rd party releases.

I don't think Nintendo cares about doing that, they help 3rd parties in other ways.
I doubt it has to do with that because there were like no 3rd party games from december through now anyway.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Ok, if all they are going to showcase is AC, Pokemon, plus a bunch of indie/third party games, why not saying it already?

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Needing to announce more games by the end of the FY is a fair point to raise.

Nintendo's share price is already in the 40's which all things considered is woefully undervalued. They've done a fantastic job with Switch, but a shockingly bad job at translating the success into share value. It's quite remarkable they're not trading up in the 60s minimum.

And that's before you even consider any deeper impact of coronavirus on hardware production, and any sort of feedback on their slate for the year.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
This thread used to be cool
Blame Nintendo, there's no way the fanbase is happy with almost 6 months without announcements aside from some DLC and a minor remake.

Switch looks weak this year, waiting until March (or later) to start unveiling the games we can expect from this year is a dumb decision as the last Direct was kind of weak (I mean, the big reveal was XC DE, which is good but it's a remake). 2019's February Direct was amazing and shaped 2019 quite nicely even if the first half was rather weak, but with no confirmed dates for any game later than March and a lack of any game confirmed for 2020 besides Poke DLC and XC DE, I think the situation is not cool at all and that's reflected in the thread.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Blame Nintendo, there's no way the fanbase is happy with almost 6 months without announcements aside from some DLC and a minor remake.

Switch looks weak this year, waiting until March (or later) to start unveiling the games we can expect from this year is a dumb decision as the last Direct was kind of weak (I mean, the big reveal was XC DE, which is good but it's a remake). 2019's February Direct was amazing and shaped 2019 quite nicely even if the first half was rather weak, but with no confirmed dates for any game later than March and a lack of any game confirmed for 2020 besides Poke DLC and XC DE, I think the situation is not cool at all and that's reflected in the thread.
People are just impatient, I prefer to have a good H1 (which is hinted at by several people) and a Direct in March than a weaker H1 and a Direct in February.

We basically know the structure of the first half so it is not like we are in the complete dark (TMS, Pokemon MD, Animal Crossing, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade, BIG June game + a surprise probably).

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
People are just impatient, I prefer to have a good H1 (which is hinted at by several people) and a Direct in March than a weaker H1 and a Direct in February.

We basically know the structure of the first half so it is not like we are in the complete dark (TMS, Pokemon MD, Animal Crossing, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade, BIG June game + a surprise probably).

But we, the average Nintendo fan, dont really know that. Insider hints and retail listing arent known for people not addicted to this thread :P

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I kind of agree, but at the same time the late the Direct is the less chances there are to have a good H1, unless they do something strange like bloating the last H1 months for some reason.

We do "know" (leaked information is never confirmed), but the average Nintendo fan doesn't know. And until the Direct is a thing, we can't really know for sure if Pikmin 3 will be re-re-eased, if XC DE won't be delayed until August/September, and the big June game can be not so big. I mean, several insiders were pretty optimistic about the last September Direct, and I personally found it average or even weak.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Honestly what do we know about 2020 in general beyond June? Everybody has been so quiet so far about their 2020 roadmap.

(I get it because with Sony and MS in regards to their new systems releasing this year)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of agree, but at the same time the late the Direct is the less chances there are to have a good H1, unless they do something strange like bloating the last H1 months for some reason.

We do "know" (leaked information is never confirmed), but the average Nintendo fan doesn't know. And until the Direct is a thing, we can't really know for sure if Pikmin 3 will be re-re-eased, if XC DE won't be delayed until August/September, and the big June game can be not so big. I mean, several insiders were pretty optimistic about the last September Direct, and I personally found it average or even weak.
Don't get me wrong I am impatient too but if the upcoming Direct delivers then all will be forgotten pretty soon and for everyone.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Honestly what do we know about 2020 in general beyond June? Everybody has been so quiet so far about their 2020 roadmap.

(I get it because with Sony and MS in regards to their new systems releasing this year)
Well, Cyberpunk will be released in September, both Microsoft and Sony have already confirmed new systems so we can expect a reveal event soon-ish showing the games available at launch.

It's a different situation IMO, Nintendo has a system on its 3rd year, they need to keep the interest to sell games/systems. Even if some hardware shortage happens, they should be releasing new games nonetheless.

I don't get how Nintendo thinks that AC is enough to make people interested on Switch's near future, it just sounds wrong to me.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Well, Cyberpunk will be released in September, both Microsoft and Sony have already confirmed new systems so we can expect a reveal event soon-ish showing the games available at launch.

It's a different situation IMO, Nintendo has a system on its 3rd year, they need to keep the interest to sell games/systems. Even if some hardware shortage happens, they should be releasing new games nonetheless.

I don't get how Nintendo thinks that AC is enough to make people interested on Switch's near future, it just sounds wrong to me.

Nintendo banking on that Smash, Pokemon and Animal Crossing news will carry them through the period. And I'm sure that covers a lot of the user base.. but it really sucks for those of us who doesnt really care for either of those games :P

But Nintendos strategy is working.. I desperately pre-ordered Animal Crossing since I had a craving for a new Nintendo game, and There's probably nothing with AC that appeals to me :P

Nintendo 1
Mbolibombo 0

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
For future reference, was LABO made by some team ensemble or a particular Nintendo division primarily? And Ring Fit as well. I wonder what these people could be doing now.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Nintendo banking on that Smash, Pokemon and Animal Crossing news will carry them through the period.
Pokemon and AC sure, but announcing the most hated Smash DLC character to date doesn't seem the best way to rely on Smash tbh.

But Nintendos strategy is working.. I desperately pre-ordered Animal Crossing since I had a craving for a new Nintendo game, and There's probably nothing with AC that appeals to me :P
It's the kind of game you play for 15-20 minutes every day, it's a laid-back experience and it works fine, but IMO is not the kind of game that generates big hype as most of the player base are not "hardcore gamers".

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland

Honestly I don't think people care that much in advance. The majority of people don't even know a PS5 is releasing this year.

Untill a few months in advance I think people don't really notice the majority of releases

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Pokemon and AC sure, but announcing the most hated Smash DLC character to date doesn't seem the best way to rely on Smash tbh.

I'm thinking for the entire period between the last direct and now. There's been 3 full length Smash features since the last direct (Though one of them was on the same day :P)

It's the kind of game you play for 15-20 minutes every day, it's a laid-back experience and it works fine, but IMO is not the kind of game that generates big hype as most of the player base are not "hardcore gamers".

I dont know, looks like it's generating a ton of hype on social media to me.. but I dont really think that's an issue either. Animal Crossing is huge and deserves to be in the spotlight, but with that said.. Having a couple of more dates or seasons when games are set to be released would be nice to have.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Honestly I don't think people care that much in advance. The majority of people don't even know a PS5 is releasing this year.

Untill a few months in advance I think people don't really notice the majority of releases
That's definitely not true. I know a lot of people who don't really follow gaming news but even they know PS5 is coming this year.

When Sony announced the release window last year lots of non gaming media reported on it

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Well, March is accounted for with AC:NH. They could announce a port (Pikmin 3 perhaps? Emily said it was delayed to H1 2020 internally) for April. XBC1 remake has been getting rated recently and has some listings claiming a May release, so there is some suggestion that that could be the May release. And recall last year: the February direct revealed SMM2 for a June release, so this year's direct could announce another such release, even if it were to air in March. Q2 2020 can still be filled with games for all we know (as I laid out).

I agree with you that the September direct wasn't that interesting, it missed big deal games that the E3 and February 2019 directs had (BOTW2 at E3, Astral Chain, SMM2 and TLOZ:LA in February). In fact, the difference in reception between these two and the September one is also notable: people felt satiated after the first two, and didn't pine for a new general direct. After the September one, people already started dreaming about a new general direct in November.
AC is a huge deal, though. Game could go on to sell 20M, and 15M+ seems very likely. It'll keep interest really high imo (in fact, in Japan it's pushing the sales level well above last year's Q1, which it self was way above the Q1 of the year before that).

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

Animal Crossing us a huge system seller. With all things combined Switch will be sold out just about every where for about a month after launch I reckon. (Clearly coronavirus will play it's part in this though unfortunately)

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

Switch is facing supply issues due to high demand and production problems due to coronavirus

AC is more than enough to sell out every console they have on the market in Japan and will continue selling switches also in the west at a good pace

Now, that is for Q1 and partially for Q2

I agree they need a lot more to sell in the second half of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.