• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Well, Cyberpunk will be released in September, both Microsoft and Sony have already confirmed new systems so we can expect a reveal event soon-ish showing the games available at launch.

It's a different situation IMO, Nintendo has a system on its 3rd year, they need to keep the interest to sell games/systems. Even if some hardware shortage happens, they should be releasing new games nonetheless.

I don't get how Nintendo thinks that AC is enough to make people interested on Switch's near future, it just sounds wrong to me.
Dude it's February

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Animal Crossing is affected by forum bubble in an inversely proportional way to Metroid.

Animal Crossing is fucking huge.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Animal Crossing is affected by forum bubble in an inversely proportional way to Metroid.

Animal Crossing is fucking huge.
Please tell me somebody wasn't trying to claim the contrary?

It's consistently on the top sellers for each Nintendo platform. I think the only exception was City Folk.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
This needs to be stapled onto the top of this forum.

I like how I can quote myself almost daily lol:
I know people in this thread like to constantly bring up the list wars and argue if the Switch line up is good, bad or "the worst ever in existence of videogame line ups" but at least wait with your conclusion till the first general Direct of the year. Especially when we know from Emily and Nate that there are 1st party games scheduled for the first half of the year which would render such a discussion pointless anyways.

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Please tell me somebody wasn't trying to claim the contrary?

It's consistently on the top sellers for each Nintendo platform. I think the only exception was City Folk.

I'm just going to put that here :

(september 2019)

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
12.36 Millions sold

Top seller or not, it's freaking HUGE and very strategic for Nintendo.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Oh, I don't doubt that AC is huge, I know the Switch owners have been waiting for the game since launch and that it will sell really well, but at this moment Nintendo has not announced a single release date aside from AC, which is my main complaint. I mean, lots of people were complaining about Smash being over represented in E3 2018, and that the company relies too much on Smash hype, but I think that right now the scenario is far worse, at least on E3 2018 they announced more games.

I'll play AC no doubt, but it's not the kind of game that I'm really that hyped about, and we knew since the Switch was released that an AC game was going to be released sooner or later. If Nintendo releases a Direct now, not only it will be what lots of Nintendo fans expect, but it won't have any negative effect on AC's sales.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

(september 2019)

12.36 Millions sold

IIRC, Wild World sold even more. I think that it sells much better on handheld consoles compared to home consoles, and that's why City Folk failed. It's easier/more convenient to play the game on the go.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
The current lack of any info on what Nintendo will bring at PAX is weird. Yes, they might be "hiding" something, but there are other two possible reasons why this is happening

1) Let's not circle around the bush: Coronavirus' concern is a potential factor. It's possible they're still evaluating their presence at the event, and that's why they have yet to reveal what they're bringing. It's also true that the window to cancel their presence is getting smaller and smaller: there are lots of logistics involved with such radical change of plans, which means they can't wait for too long to take a decision. It's also possible they've already decided to cancel their own presence and have started informing the involved parties, but the official announcement will come starting from Monday
2) They just decided this year to wait as close as possible to the event because, as Nate stated, maybe their presence isn't that important. By that, I mean they might think it's not that relevant to unveil their lineup with too many days in advance. Honestly, a strong possibility (which might also be behind the increased space vs. 2019) is that their booth might be Animal Crossing-themed: an attempt to recreate the island, to give to visitors an AC-like experience. Nintendo love to play with their own booths with special themes. It wouldn't be surprising. Moreover: their presence last year was strongly third-party biased (with one or two games from the February Direct being there as well), thus not having many Nintendo titles available to play is highly possible.

Also, I had a question for NateDrake : how much in advance are press members aware of lineups for events such as PAX East? We know that, in E3's case, there are earlier event like Judge Week, as well as appointments for media events for hands on, interviews, etc. + early preview of the Direct (like happened at E3 2019), but that shouldn't be the same for PAX. Or is it possible press members become aware of the actual extend of the event's lineup at the same time as we do?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Oh, I don't doubt that AC is huge, I know the Switch owners have been waiting for the game since launch and that it will sell really well, but at this moment Nintendo has not announced a single release date aside from AC, which is my main complaint.

What about the Pokémon game they're releasing in two weeks?

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Yep, Animal Crossing is Nintendo's secret balrog, it also was a massive driving force in addressing gender imbalances in gaming, and now my younger sister's about to buy a Switch just to once again play Animal Crossing.

To think that I had to sign a petition as a kid just to get them to bring it to the west.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
This thread used to be cool
Sorry, I'm not here anymore to hype this thread with cool Uncut Gems gifs. I'm obsessed with Animal Crossing right now and don't even think about the possibility of a Nintendo Direct

I'm just rewatching over and over again the AC Direct, discussing it ad nauseum with my girlfriend, and reading the Animal Crossing threads. That's all I have been doing in the last few days. (And a bit of Monster Hunter World Iceborne in between)

Last edited:

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Meh, I think people are really overreacting about H1.

They had TMS#FE, Smash DLC, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and Animal Crossing in the first three months. Add in a Wii U port, one mystery game like Mario Tennis Aces, maybe Xenoblade DE, and an exclusive or timed-exclusive big eShop game like Sports Story, Silksong, or another colab using one of Nintendo's IPs and that would be a pretty great lineup. On top of that I bet we'll see one more Smash character and the first part of the Pokemon DLC before the end of June.

Keep in mind that commercially Animal Crossing is one of the biggest games this year, and quite possibly the biggest of H1.

In regards to H2: targeting 2020, but with no date, we also have Bravely Default, Deadly Premonition 2, and No More Heroes 3. There's Bayonetta 3, Breath of the Wild 2, Shin Megami Tensei V, and Detective Pikachu that have no year attached.

Sure, a lot of those are third party developed, but with Animal Crossing being as huge as it is and very little competition currently in the console space, plus shortages hurting production, I don't think they're particularly in a spot where they had to rush to reveal their H2 lineup.

Obviously now they at the point that they should to do something soon to detail the rest of H1 and to get the ball rolling on their H2 announcements, but I really don't blame them for waiting so long.

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well if we were to believe the insiders, the general consensus is that there will be a general Nintendo Direct this week. Wouldn't lose hope just yet!

Also this threads behaviour to the people that are insiders and the people who are reporting about insider info have been atrocious these past two weeks and I would love to apologise to all of y'all for spreading the message around and being attacked for it. People really seem to have no general respect.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The current lack of any info on what Nintendo will bring at PAX is weird. Yes, they might be "hiding" something, but there are other two possible reasons why this is happening

1) Let's not circle around the bush: Coronavirus' concern is a potential factor. It's possible they're still evaluating their presence at the event, and that's why they have yet to reveal what they're bringing. It's also true that the window to cancel their presence is getting smaller and smaller: there are lots of logistics involved with such radical change of plans, which means they can't wait for too long to take a decision. It's also possible they've already decided to cancel their own presence and have started informing the involved parties, but the official announcement will come starting from Monday
2) They just decided this year to wait as close as possible to the event because, as Nate stated, maybe their presence isn't that important. By that, I mean they might think it's not that relevant to unveil their lineup with too many days in advance. Honestly, a strong possibility (which might also be behind the increased space vs. 2019) is that their booth might be Animal Crossing-themed: an attempt to recreate the island, to give to visitors an AC-like experience. Nintendo love to play with their own booths with special themes. It wouldn't be surprising. Moreover: their presence last year was strongly third-party biased (with one or two games from the February Direct being there as well), thus not having many Nintendo titles available to play is highly possible.

Also, I had a question for NateDrake : how much in advance are press members aware of lineups for events such as PAX East? We know that, in E3's case, there are earlier event like Judge Week, as well as appointments for media events for hands on, interviews, etc. + early preview of the Direct (like happened at E3 2019), but that shouldn't be the same for PAX. Or is it possible press members become aware of the actual extend of the event's lineup at the same time as we do?

I feel like #2 is contradicting itself. If they want people to come to their booth (and by extension to PAX) because they're decking it out then they would announce that early to get people excited and give them more time to buy tickets and arrange travel and all that.

I can buy that they simply don't have much to show and know it will be disappointing though, but in that case it's a bit odd that they reserved so much space.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Like always we are over analyzing Nintendo's behavior and in the end the PAX thing means absolutely nothing haha.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
I think the most exciting thing about having Pokémon and Animal Crossing out of the way is imagining what Nintendo will do next. As of March, the following series will have new entries on Switch

Zelda, 2D and 3D (with a sequel in development)
Mario, 3D
Splatoon
Animal Crossing
Pokemon
Luigi's mansion
Kirby
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
Edit; Xenoblade and Smash, of course. I need coffee 😔
And I'm certain I'm missing a few

Sure, they can and will have sequels and spinoffs, but I'm excited to see what other series are going to get some love in the coming year and beyond.

Last edited:

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I think the most exciting thing about having Pokémon and Animal Crossing out of the way is imagining what Nintendo will do next. As of March, the following series will have new entries on Switch

Zelda, 2D and 3D (with a sequel in development)
Mario, 3D
Splatoon
Animal Crossing
Pokemon
Luigi's mansion
Kirby
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
Edit; Xenoblade and Smash, of course. I need coffee 😔
And I'm certain I'm missing a few

Sure, they can and will have sequels and spinoffs, but I'm excited to see what other series are going to get some love in the coming year and beyond.
Yep seems like F-Zero time.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Slightly off topic but every time someone brings up AC City Folk I think of Jack Palance from City Slickers saying "city folk" coming from Tom Nook/a random animal villager, and it's hilarious.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
In terms of franchises we'll see next that we're yet to see, 2D Metroid and Paper Mario are both safe bets, as is Pikmin, though that will come in the form of a port. A new Pikmin on Switch is likely farther out. I think Mario Golf is a candidate for a new entry, but probably in 2021. Bayonetta, while not quite a Nintendo franchise, will have a new (exclusive) entry on Switch soon, possibly this year, and we know Metroid Prime will eventually have a new entry on Switch. We also know Detective Pikachu is coming.

Beyond that, while I wouldn't necessarily expect both this year, I think Nintendogs and Tomodachi Life will both get new entries on Switch, as part of Nintendo's drive to being 3DS franchises over to Switch. I also expect Nintendo to bring 2D Mario to Switch in a big way in the next 18 months.

What else is there? Mario Kart is a source of debate as to whether or not that gets a new entry on Switch. Donkey Kong is probable, but it's unclear who would develop it or what form of DK game we'd get. Smaller franchises like WarioWare will likely come at some point too. I'd expect/hope for some sort of spiritual successor to Wii Sports Resort, but, like Ring Fit Adventure, I'd count that as a new IP rather than a continuation of Wii Fit.

Beyond that, we're looking at Nintendo continuing with one or two new IP a year and presumably finding ways to leverage other, under-utilised franchises. I feel like things like Golden Sun and F Zero are unlikely, but if Nintendo are willing to remake the Detective Club games, who knows? Golden Sun seems less likely purely because Nintendo's RPG bases are covered globally these days with Xenoblade, Fire Emblem and ample third-party support. Plus, Camelot aren't big enough to handle a brand new Golden Sun on their own, I think. F Zero maybe has more chance, but it's difficult to see the circumstances in which Nintendo bring that back. I mean really, it is difficult to actually guess what Nintendo could return to under any circumstances, but I think Star Fox, Donkey Kong and perhaps Wave Race will all get new games on Switch.

If ever there's a time for Nintendo to reboot or revive older or under utilised IP, Switch gives them the opportunity. But they may well feel new IP will be more effective than their existing stable.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I can see Wave Race coming back before F-Zero tbh. Just not necessarily as a big game (like eshop 20-25$ tier).
I can't see Golden Sun coming back this gen though.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

(september 2019)

12.36 Millions sold

Exactly, which is why I have to laugh when people who aren't neccessarily fans of the series describe Switch's Q1 as some horrific barren wasteland.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with the way this drought is going, I might actually finish this character model before the direct's announcement

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
This general Direct drought has been quite kind to my backlog the past couple days. Just beat Travis Strikes Again and Link's Awakening yesterday. TSA had its bright spots but was quite disappointing and mediocre overall. Thought LA was brilliant. Now onward to finishing Astral Chain, getting further in Pokemon Sword, and then trying to put a decent dent into Dragon Quest XI before Animal Crossing.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go so far as to say ACNH selling 15mil lifetime is a LOCK. With the regular updates, 20mil is also a very real possibility.

(Not willing to avatar bet, though. I'm too fond of my avy.)

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
I can see Wave Race coming back before F-Zero tbh. Just not necessarily as a big game (like eshop 20-25$ tier).
I can't see Golden Sun coming back this gen though.

That's one I would love to see...alas I believe you're right, but hope we're wrong.

Wondering if they'll do a remade Wii Sports, or if they'll focus on stuff like Ring Fit that's kind of in the same ballpark.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is facing supply issues due to high demand and production problems due to coronavirus

AC is more than enough to sell out every console they have on the market in Japan and will continue selling switches also in the west at a good pace

Now, that is for Q1 and partially for Q2

I agree they need a lot more to sell in the second half of the year
AC, no matter how big will fundamentally appeal to a specific set of users only and they will always need to cover the rest of the user base.
Biggest mistake with the Wii was when the literally announced 'city folk' as their big Christmas title, people were genuinely shoked. I hope they learned from that.

The thing with Nintendo this generation is they've been fairly good about covering their demographic spread with mostly 3rd party 'impossible ports'. The entire mature segment is 3rd party covered, RPGs are primarly covered by SE and smaller pubs after being kicked off with Xenoblade2, and more importantly, After BOTW, the whole open world game demographic has been covered exclusively by 3rd parties, it's something they failed to do with the Wii with hardcore early adopters after Twilight Princess, but have executed on the Switch. I expect lots of games like that (outer worlds not withstanding) to be announced in future directs for H2 in particular.

Last edited:

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I'd go so far as to say ACNH selling 15mil lifetime is a LOCK. With the regular updates, 20mil is also a very real possibility.

(Not willing to avatar bet, though. I'm too fond of my avy.)

Yeah the bar has been raised for all major Nintendo franchises and AC is no exception.. I'd be very surprised if it doesnt hit 15M myself.

Gotta wonder how much Nintendo expects from their mainline franchises going forward.. I cant imagine them expecting BotW, Mk8DX, Smash, 3D mario all approaching or surpassing 20M unit after the Switch hits 3 years old. Kind crazy.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
It's all relative though. I certainly think this year beats the first half of either 2018 or 19.
For comparison, from wikipedia (I know, but at least it catches up most games, I removed the smallest indies) for Q1. We can't compare H1 yet when there's no schedule past march for this year. Both JP & Western regions.
I included 3DS games as that platform was already dead anyway. First Party is published by Nintendo.

2018 Q1:
- Third party: The Escapists 2, Darkest Dungeon, World to the West, Lost Sphear, Celeste, Night in the Woods, Steamworld Dig 1, Aegis Defenders, Dragon Quest Builders 1, Owlboy, Radiant Historia (3DS), The Longest 5min, Fe, Layers of Fear, Pac-Man CE 2 +, Outlast 1, Payday 2, Fear Effect Sedna, Scribblenauts Showdown, The Princess Guide, Flinthook, Attack on Titan 2, Shantae and the Pirate Curse, Atelier Lydie&Suelle, Outlast 2, The Alliance Alive (3DS).

- First party: Kirby Battle Royale (3DS), Bayonetta 1+2, Kirby Star Allies, Detective Pikachu (3DS).

2019 Q1:
- Third party: Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition, Onimusha Warlords HD, The Walking Dead: Final Season (ep 3-4), Travis Strikes Again, Pikuniku, Dragon Marked for Death, Wargroove, Etrian Odyssey Nexus (3DS), Blazblue Central Fiction, The Liar Princess and The Blind Prince, Final Fantasy IX, Steins Gate Elite + 8bit Adv, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy, The Lego Movie 2, Trials Rising, Swords and Soldiers 2, ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove, The Caligula Effect: Overdose, Baba is You, Fate/Extella Link, Super Robot Wars T, Unravel 2, Final Fantasy VII, Atelier Nelke, Power Rangers Battle for the Grid.

- First party: Fitness Boxing, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (3DS), New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Tetris 99, Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn (3DS), Yoshi's Crafted World.

2020 Q1:
- Third party: Atelier Dusk Trilogy Deluxe, Puzzle & Dragons Gold, The Walking Dead S2 & S3, Oddworld Stranger Wrath HD, Kentucky Route Zero, Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales, The Dark Crystal Tactics, Florence, Darksiders Genesis, Snack World Gold, Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate, Warface, Devil May Cry 3 SE, Double Dragon & Kunio kun Retro Bundle, Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai story, Persona 5 Scramble, Under Night In-Birth Exe Late clr, Megaman Zero/ZX legacy collection, Rune Factory 4 Special, Samurai Shodown, Two Point Hospital, Metro Redux, Langrisser 1 & 2, My Hero: One's Justice 2, Doom 64, One Piece Pirate Warriors 4, Saints Row 4.

- First party: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX, Animal Crossing New Horizons.

Q1 is usually barren every year for Nintendo in terms of first party, regardless of if there's a big game (like AC this year) or not.
The big difference in third party is Atlus not being there compared to 3DS in 2018/19, but I'd say this year has the best third party content yet. Last year was the best in terms of port/remastered content.

Of course AC fans would be happy this year, but in terms of first party, it's the year with the least content between those three.

Last edited:

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I think what Naga posted above just confirms it further for me, Yoshi and Kirby aren't exactly heavy hitters.
NSMBU and Tetris 99 weren't heavy hitters? Kirby and Yoshi sold really well despite obviously not being on AC level.
That doesn't change the fact that the debate was about quantity and that there's been 3 first party games in Q1 2020 (two of those being a niche port and a lower budget DS remake), no schedule for Q2 2020, and that it's indeed been an emptier Q1 than in previous years. That doesn't "confirms (your point) further" at all.

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
NSMBU and Tetris 99 weren't heavy hitters? Kirby and Yoshi sold really well despite obviously not being on AC level.
That doesn't change the fact that the debate was about quantity and that there's been 3 first party games in Q1 2020 (two of those being a niche port and a lower budget DS remake), no schedule for Q2 2020, and that it's indeed been an emptier Q1 than in previous years. That doesn't "confirms (your point) further" at all.
It's not a matter of sales and this isn't a battle. His point is that this quarter is better for him. I didn't buy NSMBU. Tetris 99 was good but never really sucked me in. This quarter appeals to me more than last year's Q1. That may not hold true for many but it's true for me.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Q1 being a bit quieter has been nice after the onslaught of H2 last year but it would be nice to know what lies ahead.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
It's not a matter of sales and this isn't a battle. His point is that this quarter is better for him. I didn't buy NSMBU. Tetris 99 was good but never really sucked me in. This quarter appeals to me more than last year's Q1. That may not hold true for many but it's true for me.
I mean, you can also just go back the quotes and find that his original point was about emptiness (quantity), then switched to "heavy hitter" (quality).
And doing that with objectivity arguments.

Of course each fan will have different preferences, that's what I've said in my posts. If people bother reading them before quoting obviously...

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, you can also just go back the quotes and find that his original point was about emptiness (quantity), then switched to "heavy hitter" (quality).
And doing that with objectivity arguments.

Of course each fan will have different preferences, that's what I've said in my posts. If people bother reading them before quoting obviously...
What is this, Ace Attorney?! It ain't no battle bruv. Also NSMBU is a port, Tetris 99 is a pack in freebie, and Animal Crossing New Horizons is a way of life, not some mere sales event.

Status
Not open for further replies.