• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Fair. Looking back, though. 2015 really hurt them by doing the April Direct. E3 was really bad or just rehashing. And 2017 April was basically a Nindies. Which helped their E3 - because that was awesome. So I guess what I'm seeing is...they probably can't do both really well.
Exactly. The only way that both an April Direct and an E3 Direct can be really good is if Q3 and Q4 are SO amazing and packed that they can effectively cut the announcements for each in half and still have plenty of material.

Not saying a March Direct couldn't also suffer from this a bit, but there'll be more separation and time between them and allow them to focus a bit more on smaller stuff for the March one (along with things like an April game, etc.).

At the moment, a Direct next week just makes a ton of sense to me (or the week after, too). I know Nintendo doesn't focus too much on anniversaries, but it would be super cool to have a Direct on (nearly) the Switch's 3rd Birthday and mold some of the Direct around that, plus maaaaaybe more info on BOTW2 since it's also BOTW's 3rd birthday? Probably wishful thinking, but I'm doing my best to will it into existence.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
They sell most during Q4, maybe they just want the new Switch owners embrace the existing games (evergreens) instead of making them only looking forward so to say.

ScottAustin

Jan 31, 2020
I know we've been saying "next week for sure" for months now, but it's gotta be next week, right? Unless Nintendo wants to do a Direct on Mar10.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Coronavirus, doesn't seem like it is going to slow down anytime soon.

I will beg the differ... its gonna be August / September, it should getting warmer, and the chances that it will slow down are much higher than in the winters... but yeah.. i don't wanna hear anything more about that.
I'm so sick of hearing about that damn "Coronavirus"

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Chances are a number of vocal people in this thread are gonna be disappointed with the Direct if that one specific thing they want will not be in it.
Regardless of what a Direct contains, there will always, always be people shouting to high heaven that it was the worst ever, that they are SO disappointed despite having zero expectations (right...) etc etc. My ignore list is well fed at such times.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
I know we've been saying "next week for sure" for months now, but it's gotta be next week, right? Unless Nintendo wants to do a Direct on Mar10.

It's always next Week till we got one🤷🏻‍♂️ No one knows what Nintendo is doing or hoe they operate.

1160625.jpg

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I will beg the differ... its gonna be August / September, it should getting warmer, and the chances that it will slow down are much higher than in the winters... but yeah.. i don't wanna hear anything more about that.
I'm so sick of hearing about that damn "Coronavirus"
We don't know that for sure.

Educational access digital subscriptions | New Scientist

Explore our educational access digital subscriptions offering schools, colleges and universities unlimited access to newscientist.com - including the New Scientist digital archive.
Will the covid-19 outbreak caused by the new coronavirus fade as the northern hemisphere warms up? This has been suggested by some researchers and repeated by some political leaders, including US president Donald Trump, but we simply don't know if it is the case.
"We absolutely don't know that," says Trudie Lang at the University of Oxford. "I keep asking virologist colleagues this and nobody knows."
"So when you hear people say the weather will warm up and it will just disappear, it's a very unhelpful generalisation," she says.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
We don't know that for sure.

Educational access digital subscriptions | New Scientist

Explore our educational access digital subscriptions offering schools, colleges and universities unlimited access to newscientist.com - including the New Scientist digital archive.
Will the covid-19 outbreak caused by the new coronavirus fade as the northern hemisphere warms up? This has been suggested by some researchers and repeated by some political leaders, including US president Donald Trump, but we simply don't know if it is the case.
"We absolutely don't know that," says Trudie Lang at the University of Oxford. "I keep asking virologist colleagues this and nobody knows."
"So when you hear people say the weather will warm up and it will just disappear, it's a very unhelpful generalisation," she says.

Yeah... it could be... so can we please stop talking about that virus, I'm so sick of hearing about it.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I don't think it's "just a little slower (...) this year" as much as thinking they should just market Animal Crossing and behave like other games would steal thunder from it.

edit:

We're basically in March, and you think they don't need to announce games releasing 6 months from now (or less), or announce release dates for those like XCDE?
What?
If XCDE is releasing in May then no, they don't need to announce the release date in Feb. For new announcements of games releasing after May, they don't need to announce those in Feb either.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's healthy for us to not expect anything soon. Japan are facing a severe threat of coronavirus and people are not travelling to offices - including media makers responsible.

set expectations that we're getting nothing for a while, likely April at the earliest because as good as games are there's no celebratory mood right now.

www.japantimes.co.jp

5,000 Dentsu employees to telework after staffer at Tokyo headquarters contracts COVID-19

Major advertising agency Dentsu Group Inc. imposed an emergency workplace protocol Wednesday, ordering about 5,000 staffers at its headquarters in Tokyo to

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Eh. Even if Nintendo were to start pumping major titles at a good pace starting in March or April, having one big title for the quarter kind of sucks. I expect it from PS4 and Xbox One because those consoles are on their way out, Nintendo should have had this Q1 to themselves and still punted.
2019 as a whole was nuts and its Q1 was even worse than this year imo.

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I think it's healthy for us to not expect anything soon. Japan are facing a severe threat of coronavirus and people are not travelling to offices - including media makers responsible.

set expectations that we're getting nothing for a while, likely April at the earliest because as good as games are there's no celebratory mood right now.

www.japantimes.co.jp

5,000 Dentsu employees to telework after staffer at Tokyo headquarters contracts COVID-19

Major advertising agency Dentsu Group Inc. imposed an emergency workplace protocol Wednesday, ordering about 5,000 staffers at its headquarters in Tokyo to
who cares if there's no celebratory mood rofl

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, people think the ps5 and series x could be delayed to spring. Hard to say what nintendo would do with games.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
If XCDE is releasing in May then no, they don't need to announce the release date in Feb. For new announcements of games releasing after May, they don't need to announce those in Feb either.
If XCDE is releasing in May, then announcing the release date after March leaves it with a minimal marketing cycle - which is an indicator that the Direct probably won't happen later than March.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Direct in March? You better show another BotW 2 teaser Nintendo!

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I mean, yeah, that's pretty clearly been their strategy, we all get why they do it. The question is if they should.

Even from their own business perspective, I don't think it is. Nintendo wouldn't be releasing games "just to fill up their schedule," they would be releasing games to sell them, and they'd have the benefit of keeping people engaged and happy with their Switch. Nintendo, in their eyes, has a vested interest in keeping people engaged in the Switch ecosystem. It's good for Nintendo's bottom line if people are playing their Switch all the time. Bringing a Switch around should feel essential, and for a lot of the year, it just doesn't.

But also, forget trying to see things through Nintendo's eyes. It's okay to expect things from a platform vendor who is selling a $300 product on the promise of consistent delivery of entertainment.
Saying Switch doesn't "feel essential" is a highly subjective take though. Mine is essential to me and has become my sole gaming platform after 20 years of using multiple systems at a time. Nintendo have far more data than we do about purchases per console and usage per console - their strategy will be informed by that data. So while it might not be essential to you personally, that doesn't mean there's a widespread engagement problem.

It's completely fine for people to want or expect more. I'm personally in a sweet spot with Switch so don't have that problem but I completely see that other people aren't having their needs met. Personally I'd like Nintendo to do a better job pacing their original releases - but I think it's a legitimate argument that given Nintendo tend to have more evergreen sales than other publishers, there isn't quite as pressing a need for them to refresh their software line-up in the first quarter.

Plus, this is the third Q1 on Switch to have a guaranteed 5 million plus seller launch, so commercially they do put at least some emphasis here.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Saying Switch doesn't "feel essential" is a highly subjective take though. Mine is essential to me and has become my sole gaming platform after 20 years of using multiple systems at a time. Nintendo have far more data than we do about purchases per console and usage per console - their strategy will be informed by that data. So while it might not be essential to you personally, that doesn't mean there's a widespread engagement problem.

It's completely fine for people to want or expect more. I'm personally in a sweet spot with Switch so don't have that problem but I completely see that other people aren't having their needs met. Personally I'd like Nintendo to do a better job pacing their original releases - but I think it's a legitimate argument that given Nintendo tend to have more evergreen sales than other publishers, there isn't quite as pressing a need for them to refresh their software line-up in the first quarter.

Plus, this is the third Q1 on Switch to have a guaranteed 5 million plus seller launch, so commercially they do put at least some emphasis here.

I have to agree. My Switch became 'essential' to me after I got Ring Fit Adventure. Now even if I never buy another game, the Switch is my workout machine.

That and I am of the belief that anything used for purely entertainment purposes is never going to be essential. Essential to me means something you need to live like food, shelter, and water, or something that increases you quality of life or overall heath like medication, losing weight, or a computer so you can work from home. So a game console is never going to be essential to me unless it has software like Ring Fit Adventure that has improved my quality of life and overall health.

Status
Not open for further replies.