• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
That's bullshit but I believe it.
HnEQ6YHm.jpg

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Welcome back.

It's an interesting time for the whole world right now. Assuming interesting means everyone is freaking the hell out and we're all stressed beyond belief constantly.

Interesting.

Thanks. Figured I'd come check on things.

That's exactly what i mean. An interestingly bad 2020 so far, but if all goes well next week, Nintendo should bring some much needed hype and positivity back into here. Hopefully should get people off each other's backs around here, too.

Holy shit guys I think Zippo just gave us a clue
If you pay close attention you'll notice that Interesting is bolded
The letter I is the 9th letter in the alphabet
That word is 11 letters long
His post number ends in 34
If you subtract 9 from 34 that's 25
25 is Wednesday next week

25th 11am Direct announcement confirmed
Somebody post The Hangover gif

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
First of all, I should have played these games MUCH sooner, but not TOO sooner, because younger me would have gotten incredibly frustrated at the non-linearity and lack of direction. (But still, thank god for the hint system)

Anyway... (I'm making bullet points because I can't write a meaningful paragraph for the life of me)

Prime 1:
- Steepest learning curve of them all, due to my inexperience with the series.
- In retrospect the area themes are a bit lackluster.
+ Except for Chozo Ruins, Chozo Ruins is probably the strongest area in the series.
- The scan visor is better in the sequels.
- Magmoor Caverns is annoying to traverse and you have to do it fairly often.
- Phazon Mines is also meh.
+ Really strong atmosphere and music in general.
- Ridley fight dragged out for too long.

Prime 2:
+ Already experienced with the controls and gameplay.
+ The Ing are an awesome threat (and the Space Pirates make a neat cameo)
- Torvus Bog is nothing to write home about (that subterranean theme tho)
+ Area map design is streamlined.
+ Dark World is spoooky (the load times less so)
+ Sanctuary Fortress is the bee's knees.
- Boost Guardian can go f**k himself.
+ McGuffin hunt feels much more organic (rip Luminoth guardians)
- Emperor Ing fight dragged out for too long.

Prime 3:
+ Hell yeah no forced early downgrade (or at least it felt less like that)
- Door loadtimes are at their worst.
- Motion control gimmics are meh.
+ The most consistently good collection of maps in the series.
+ Elysia is awesome (oh god the shaking, it's freaking me out)
- Helios (the boss) was an absolute chump.
+ G.F.S. Valhalla spooked me quite a bit.
+ Most sensical McGuffin hunt in the series.
- The Energy Cell in Bryyo is the most convoluted mandatory collectable in the series.
+ Least annoying final boss stretch in the series.
- Ending is a bit underwhelming.

All in all, I think Prime 2 is my favourite? Maybe it's because after playing Prime 1, I wanted more of it, and Prime 2 really satisfied that desire, while also remedying to some of my less liked aspects of the first game.
Prime 3 on the other hand feels like a lot like Prime 2, but with motion gimmics (that I do not dislike that much), without some of the bullshit and without the Dark World.

So... Prime 2>Prime 1>Prime 3
That's a pretty solid list of pros and cons, and in large part I agree. However your list of good areas is very lacking in Phendrana Drifts, which is still my favorite zone in the entire series.

Phendrana Drifts + Chozo Ruins make Prime 1 the best for me. Then probably Prime 2 with Sanctuary Fortress and (somewhat) Torvus. Then Prime 3 with Elysia, which is my second favorite area in the trilogy but isn't enough to carry the whole game and make up for having too much exposition, NPCs, and wannabe-Halo parts.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I was reading some threads on ERA, and this one managed to be the most level-headed and reasonable in the entire first page.

The world is really ending.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I was reading some threads on ERA, and this one managed to be the most level-headed and reasonable in the entire first page.

The world is really ending.

I think we're just much more conditioned to deal with insanity and uncertainty than the rest of ERA.

We're veterans of madness, we can stay calm in the face of it.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Both next gen consoles have revealed their specs and one of them has some numbers slightly lower while also touting a feature.

Craziness ensued.
Ooohhh yeah. I could care less about specs, I just want to see some games so I've had no interest in even looking at those threads, probably should've known considering how many posts those threads have lol

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
First of all, I should have played these games MUCH sooner, but not TOO sooner, because younger me would have gotten incredibly frustrated at the non-linearity and lack of direction. (But still, thank god for the hint system)

Anyway... (I'm making bullet points because I can't write a meaningful paragraph for the life of me)

Prime 1:
- Steepest learning curve of them all, due to my inexperience with the series.
- In retrospect the area themes are a bit lackluster.
+ Except for Chozo Ruins, Chozo Ruins is probably the strongest area in the series.
- The scan visor is better in the sequels.
- Magmoor Caverns is annoying to traverse and you have to do it fairly often.
- Phazon Mines is also meh.
+ Really strong atmosphere and music in general.
- Ridley fight dragged out for too long.

Prime 2:
+ Already experienced with the controls and gameplay.
+ The Ing are an awesome threat (and the Space Pirates make a neat cameo)
- Torvus Bog is nothing to write home about (that subterranean theme tho)
+ Area map design is streamlined.
+ Dark World is spoooky (the load times less so)
+ Sanctuary Fortress is the bee's knees.
- Boost Guardian can go f**k himself.
+ McGuffin hunt feels much more organic (rip Luminoth guardians)
- Emperor Ing fight dragged out for too long.

Prime 3:
+ Hell yeah no forced early downgrade (or at least it felt less like that)
- Door loadtimes are at their worst.
- Motion control gimmics are meh.
+ The most consistently good collection of maps in the series.
+ Elysia is awesome (oh god the shaking, it's freaking me out)
- Helios (the boss) was an absolute chump.
+ G.F.S. Valhalla spooked me quite a bit.
+ Most sensical McGuffin hunt in the series.
- The Energy Cell in Bryyo is the most convoluted mandatory collectable in the series.
+ Least annoying final boss stretch in the series.
- Ending is a bit underwhelming.

All in all, I think Prime 2 is my favourite? Maybe it's because after playing Prime 1, I wanted more of it, and Prime 2 really satisfied that desire, while also remedying to some of my less liked aspects of the first game.
Prime 3 on the other hand feels like a lot like Prime 2, but with motion gimmics (that I do not dislike that much), without some of the bullshit and without the Dark World.

So... Prime 2>Prime 1>Prime 3

I realised a few things recently among my scouring of the Metroid series

- It's frustrating how wildly inconsistent power bombs are: they're sometimes treated like thermonuclear warheads, and yet other times are completely useless against general enemies or bosses
- Prime 2 was great because it took a break from Ridley and the gang, as well as a lot of series traditions
- It'd be nice to have less puzzle-oriented bosses. Metroid Prime 3 and Super Metroid focused on heavyweight fights between two powerhouses, Prime's bosses were good but too often made your weaponry feel a bit useless.
- I kinda feel that Dark Samus was an unfortunate choice of a trilogy main boss given we already had the SA-X, just some kind of dark being would have been better.
- Other M could have been sensational if not for the botched characterisation of Samus
- Prime 3 is underrated, but definitely could have tied in Mother Brain for a more story-driven ending (or just a better ending in general).
- The design of the Ing is fucking incredible.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Will there be an option to turn off the 'anime' in Xenoblade DE? I got Xenoblade day 1 and really enjoyed the more authentic designs, the new character models are really not the direction I want the series to take.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
- Prime 2 was great because it took a break from Ridley and the gang, as well as a lot of series traditions
One problem I have with Metroid Prime 2 is that although it tries to introduce new lore, the Luminoth are just discount Chozo. At no time do they become interesting. All Metroid Prime 2 is the plot equivalent of an anime filler. It's like "Oh, ruins of another incredibly advanced race, how original."

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Will there be an option to turn off the 'anime' in Xenoblade DE? I got Xenoblade day 1 and really enjoyed the more authentic designs, the new character models are really not the direction I want the series to take.
No one knows for certain right now. I'd say you won't be able to, though.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
As far as Metroid Prime goes, I think I'd have to rank them MP1 > MP3 > MP2

1 was just phenomenal in pretty much all aspects. 3 got me to rethink my hatred of motion controls. There's just something incredibly satisfying about ripping Space Pirate shields away from them with your grapple beam. Plus it was kinda neat to have a couple other characters around besides Samus and Ridley, even if they do all end up dying at your hands.

2, I really could never get past the bullshitty mandatory damage zones throughout a significant chunk of the game. Any time you are in the dark world, you have to be in a bubble, or you take damage. I know this is mitigated later on with the Dark and Light Suits, but mandatory damage zones, especially in excess, really kill my motivation to play a game. Same reason I rate Borderlands Presequel as the worst in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
As far as Metroid Prime goes, I think I'd have to rank them MP1 > MP3 > MP2

1 was just phenomenal in pretty much all aspects. 3 got me to rethink my hatred of motion controls. There's just something incredibly satisfying about ripping Space Pirate shields away from them with your grapple beam. Plus it was kinda neat to have a couple other characters around besides Samus and Ridley, even if they do all end up dying at your hands.

2, I really could never get past the bullshitty mandatory damage zones throughout a significant chunk of the game. Any time you are in the dark world, you have to be in a bubble, or you take damage. I know this is mitigated later on with the Dark and Light Suits, but mandatory damage zones, especially in excess, really kill my motivation to play a game. Same reason I rate Borderlands Presequel as the worst in the series.
I really, really hate damage zones/safe bubbles also. Makes it stressful just to walk around, which is like the opposite of one of the things I enjoyed most about Prime 1. Just strolling around and taking it all in.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I really, really hate damage zones/safe bubbles also. Makes it stressful just to walk around, which is like the opposite of one of the things I enjoyed most about Prime 1. Just strolling around and taking it all in.
I'm not a very fan of metroidvanias, but even I understand that part of the appeal of the games is to explore and go around the areas, getting lost

And Metroid Prime 2 makes it a pain.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would your reaction be if Capcom were to announce a RE3 Cloud version on Switch, much like RE7 before, in next week's direct?

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Normally I'd think this, too, but Prime 2 was really really effective at making its Dark World just an uglier, claustrophobic version of the Light World that doesn't really invite the desire to look around and take it all in. The real beauty is in the Light World locales.

So this didn't bother me in this case.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I think Prime 3 is generally regarded as "good but a big step back from the first two" and that is very wrong. Prime 3 is just as incredible as the other games.

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I'd think this, too, but Prime 2 was really really effective at making its Dark World just an uglier, claustrophobic version of the Light World that doesn't really invite the desire to look around and take it all in. The real beauty is in the Light World locales.

So this didn't bother me in this case.
Youre not wrong and the intentional contrast does serve a purpose, but it's a little hard to call making your environment so boring and ugly that nobody cares to look...a win

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
So I just randomly started humming the Tallon Overword theme (#2) this morning. That's gotta be a sign. The universe saw fit to enter my mind and leak the Direct surprise. 🙏

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
In the new remade Trilogy and it's version of MP2, Ing will be voiced in the dark world sections and they will taunt the player with lines like:

"Oh look at this snowflake, looking for safe spaces? TRIGGERED!"

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Prime 2>1>3 imo. Some quick thoughts:

Prime 3 was great but I felt the bosses were on the whole weaker than the others. Ridley was great but nothing else felt memorable (well the first Berskerker Lord was cool). Love the controls though (I confess to only owning Trilogy version).

Prime was very great but the world felt pretty generic compared to other games, although the areas still felt distinct.

Prime 2 is very polarizing but I love the concept of a dark world and how different it was. I think it's a matter of fundamental tastes though, Fusion being another example of such.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
Prime 2>1>3 IMO. Some quick thoughts:

Prime 3 was great but I felt the bosses were on the whole weaker than the others. Ridley was great but nothing else felt memorable (well the first Berskerker Lord was cool). Love the controls though (I confess to only owning Trilogy version).

Prime was very great but the world felt pretty generic compared to other games, although the areas still felt distinct.

Prime 2 is very polarizing but I love the concept of a dark world and how different it was. I think it's a matter of fundamental tastes though, Fusion is another example of such.

At this point, buying an actual Wii would be the only way to play MP Trilogy in the short term. I was so hyped when I heard about the MPT coming to Switch (love Metroid, but never had a Game Cube or Wii), now it just... don´t know what to think about when would eventually come out.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
- It'd be nice to have less puzzle-oriented bosses. Metroid Prime 3 and Super Metroid focused on heavyweight fights between two powerhouses, Prime's bosses were good but too often made your weaponry feel a bit useless.
- I kinda feel that Dark Samus was an unfortunate choice of a trilogy main boss given we already had the SA-X, just some kind of dark being would have been better.
Dark Samus is Metroid Prime after consuming the Phazon Suit in Prime 1. It makes a lot of sense for her to be the one you fight throughout the series. Also Quadraxis is the best boss in the series, and happens to be a puzzle boss.
One problem I have with Metroid Prime 2 is that although it tries to introduce new lore, the Luminoth are just discount Chozo. At no time do they become interesting. All Metroid Prime 2 is the plot equivalent of an anime filler. It's like "Oh, ruins of another incredibly advanced race, how original."
Eh, but the planet is way more cohesive in 2. It actually feels like an alien planet with alien races living on it, rather than "remember this from super?"- the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.