• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
That may be true about the marketing but I don't think the game design really fits with that.

This is based on my extensive experience with the game as well as a ton of anecdotal evidence here and elsewhere online. This isn't something that appeals heavily to the Wii Fit crowd so much as a surprisingly large segment of the core crowd.
It does appeal to the Wii Fit crowd because its a video game with benefits. No matter how hardcore it is, it's a fitness game first and foremost and the rpg elements are there to make it fun and get people into the genre. You won't see people that like Xenoblade or Bravely buy this game because its a good rpg. The sales trajectory is also typical pf an expanded audience game. Its going to keep selling for a long time from word of mouth.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I need some waa ah in my life, where is Wave Race Nin endo?

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So now that Last of Us is delayed, are people a little more accepting of the last direct we got?

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
What does the release of LOU2 have to do with Nintendo's mini direct?

Major games will be delayed. Why would nintendo show anything right now when release schedules are uncertain.

EDIT

Here's one of my posts from the mini thread while everyone was talking about how much it sucked and questioned where the first party games were

Unless nintendo is an anomaly, I feel like a lot of people are in for a rude awakening in regards to game development during the current pandemic.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Major games will be delayed. Why would nintendo show anything right now when release schedules are uncertain.
So because games are delayed and release schedules are uncertain, suddenly people who were disappointed with the Mini Direct...should be happy with the Direct? Because publishers delay games?

Huh?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly assuming any of this Mario stuff is true this will be a much better first party year than 2019 for me.

As good as those old games are, I don't really see anything worth getting excited about over the 2019 software lineup. Unless we're weighing the entirety of 2019 against the chance of getting a good Paper Mario in 2020. Either that or I'm not seeing something that you are seeing.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
That Mini direct was much better in hindsight tbh

It was already fine, just lacked that big ending that was of course removed due to uncertainty.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So because games are delayed and release schedules are uncertain, suddenly people who were disappointed with the Mini Direct...should be happy with the Direct? Because publishers delay games?

Huh?

Because the global pandemic will have an effect on all games and it's not just Nintendo having nothing to show to consumers? It seems super obvious to me

Plus who said people should be happy? Re read what I said

"So now that Last of Us is delayed, are people a little more accepting of the last direct we got?"

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Because the global pandemic will have an effect on all games and it's not just Nintendo having nothing to show to consumers? It seems super obvious to me

"So now that Last of Us is delayed, are people a little more accepting of the last direct we got?"
I still think it was a mediocre/bad direct and can't wait till the Mario news will be officially announced.

So glad that wasn't a April's fool joke

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019

I get your point but I absolutely understand the disappointment of the people here. Its one thing that a long awaited, presumably very good game gets delayed for a few months at the very end of a console life cycle. But its a different thing when the Switch really is at the peak of its lifetime and there's not a single concrete game announced for it. I can't stress enough how strange this situation of not knowing anything for after Xenoblade is, and that is after the longest period of time between Direct presentations ever. Also, the direct mini had a disclaimer that some of these games might get delayed due to the virus.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The direct was still awful.
I still think it was a mediocre/bad direct and can't wait till the Mario news will be officially announced.

So glad that wasn't a April's fool joke

Seems like Nintendo can't win.

They either don't air a direct and let third parties announce games on their own and people will cry where's my direct.

OR

They have a mini direct and PURPOSELY label it as such to give third parties a spotlight and people cry where's my first party games.

All while we're on the cusp of everything getting delayed due to COVID-19.

Weird takes here, honestly.

I get your point but I absolutely understand the disappointment of the people here. Its one thing that a long awaited, presumably very good game gets delayed for a few months at the very end of a console life cycle. But its a different thing when the Switch really is at the peak of its lifetime and there's not a single concrete game announced for it. I can't stress enough how strange this situation of not knowing anything for after Xenoblade is, and that is after the longest period of time between Direct presentations ever. Also, the direct mini had a disclaimer that some of these games might get delayed due to the virus.

Again, go back to my original question.

I'm going to isolate out the important part for y'all

"are people a little more accepting"

Accepting. Not thrilled, excited, etc. Accepting. This is the new normal right now and it's not because nintendo has nothing to show. Doesn't matter if this is a consoles first or last year, COVID doesn't care.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017

They either don't air a direct and let third parties announce games on their own and people will cry where's my direct.

OR

They have a mini direct and PURPOSELY label it as such to give third parties a spotlight and people cry where's my first party games.

Nintendo wins by announcing Metroid

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

OR

Does everything needs to either black or white? None of the games appealed to me

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
So now that Last of Us is delayed, are people a little more accepting of the last direct we got?
I mean, it was a Mini, so it was pitched as not having big news - and it didn't. But I don't see how it would change things for people whose tastes aren't being met by the current software support. Sony delaying a major release because of the logistics of shipping and selling enough physical copies in late May doesn't have much bearing on what Nintendo have done so far, or on any of the small announcements in the Mini. Now maybe they've internally delayed some other big titles, but we have no evidence for that.

Plus, we've had Nate say a Direct was always planned for that time, and weren't there other suggestions that very little, or even nothing, in the Mini was changed to due to Covid-19? I know that even Emily Rogers stated that, as far as she knows, Nintendo's first half plans haven't changed due to Covid-19 (notably, she still expects a Wii U port by the end of the first half). There's no clear evidence yet that Nintendo's quiet first half (outside the monster that is Animal Crossing) is down to anything other than Nintendo's own planning. If there is definite evidence, then fair enough - but all we've got are assumptions and hypotheses.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
XCOM 2 and Xenoblade DE could honestly tide me over until 2021, which it looks like they may have to.

Honestly the release schedules are going to be stacked when all of this is done; however, it would be nice to know that Metroid V and the Prime: Trilogy collection exist, I'm starting to have real doubts about both.

Considering MPT is meant to be ready to go, you think they'd do a digital release in July or August given that (1) it'll be relatively low memory and (2) everything else will be delayed.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, it was a Mini, so it was pitched as not having big news - and it didn't. But I don't see how it would change things for people whose tastes aren't being met by the current software support. Sony delaying a major release because of the logistics of shipping and selling enough physical copies in late May doesn't have much bearing on what Nintendo have done so far, or on any of the small announcements in the Mini. Now maybe they've internally delayed some other big titles, but we have no evidence for that.

Plus, we've had Nate say a Direct was always planned for that time, and weren't there other suggestions that very little, or even nothing, in the Mini was changed to due to Covid-19? I know that even Emily Rogers stated that, as far as she knows, Nintendo's first half plans haven't changed due to Covid-19 (notably, she still expects a Wii U port by the end of the first half). There's no clear evidence yet that Nintendo's quiet first half (outside the monster that is Animal Crossing) is down to anything other than Nintendo's own planning. If there is definite evidence, then fair enough - but all we've got are assumptions and hypotheses.

I'm not saying their quiet first half is a result of COVID.

Their lack of announcements for the remainder of the year (clearly) is.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that people here believe that Nintendo is sitting on MP trilogy since 2018 will always amuse me.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
It's really difficult to predict the later half of 2020. There definitely will be delays but stores also definitely won't be closed till let's say July. That would destroy our economy.

I don't think last of us 2 delay is comparable with how Nintendo operates

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's really difficult to predict the later half of 2020. There definitely will be delays but stores also definitely won't be closed till let's say July. That would destroy our economy.

I don't think last of us 2 delay is comparable with how Nintendo operates

I'm not so sure of that. When stores re open it will likely be with heavy restrictions and it won't be a free for all. Retail is going to be weird for a while.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
As good as those old games are, I don't really see anything worth getting excited about over the 2019 software lineup. Unless we're weighing the entirety of 2019 against the chance of getting a good Paper Mario in 2020. Either that or I'm not seeing something that you are seeing.

The "for me" part may be what you're not seeing.

Last year I got SMM2, DQXIS, LM3 and RFA when it comes to first party, and two of those were relatively disappointing to me. This year I'm already loving AC and if those 4 Mario games are indeed coming I'll get and enjoy each one. And if the Paper Mario rumors are true that makes 5 games I'll very likely love this year.

On top of whatever other surprises come, like Metroid 5 or whatever else.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
The fact that people here believe that Nintendo is sitting on MP trilogy since 2018 will always amuse me.

Yes but let's also not forget Metroid V, which hasn't been present in any of the recent rumours at all.

Edit - And fyi, I've doubted it exists before it was cool. It's the confidence of the people here always so eager to shout people down that is the thing making me believe that it does.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The "for me" part may be what you're not seeing.

Last year I got SMM2, DQXIS, LM3 and RFA when it comes to first party, and two of those were relatively disappointing to me. This year I'm already loving AC and if those 4 Mario games are indeed coming I'll get and enjoy each one. And if the Paper Mario rumors are true that makes 5 games I'll very likely love this year.

On top of whatever other surprises come, like Metroid 5 or whatever else.

I saw the "for me" part, I just didn't expect replaying old Mario games would be more exciting to you than the 2019 lineup but fair enough.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not as amusing as people shitting on WiiU ports or games they don't like just to lust for a re-release of a collection of oldass ports.

Can't believe Nintendo is treating a Xenoblade port as a big game, no ones cares about ports of 10 year old Wii games.

Now where's Metroid Prime Trilogy?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the "for me" part, I just didn't expect replaying old Mario games would be more exciting to you than the 2019 lineup but fair enough.

2019 had a ton of great third party games for me so I though it was still a fantastic year. So far 2020 isn't matching up on that front but when Doom Eternal comes out it'll start turning around I think.

But yeah I recognized that the first party output in 2019 was great, it just wasn't exactly my cup of tea. DQ and RFA aside.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
We're in a pandemic. Projects that haven't even been announced officially will be the first ones to be pushed back. You can't "delay" a game that wasn't ever actually announced, so it's the best course of action to ensure the safety of everyone involved.

I'm not even talking about short term. For first party, We know that BOTW2, and MP4 somewhat exist. That's it.
( then again, I doubt MP4 is gonna be a Switch release)

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
I really couldn't care less about XC because I hated XC2, this H1 is BARREN for me.

In other news: are the metro games THAT good? I bought Metro 2033 ages ago on PC, but don't really play outside of my switch that much. Are the switch ports any good?

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
2019 was decent (FE was incredible, LM3 was good, but SMM2, Astral Chain and Pokemon were all disappointments), but nothing exceptional (I'd argue that Nintendo's last exceptional year was 2014), and it can easily be beaten by a good Paper Mario and a 3D Mario collection.
I really couldn't care less about XC because I hated XC2, this H1 is BARREN for me.

In other news: are the metro games THAT good? I bought Metro 2033 ages ago on PC, but don't really play outside of my switch that much. Are the switch ports any good?
As someone who utterly hates Xenoblade 2, I can say that Xenoblade 1 is a masterpiece - and part of the reason why Xenoblade 2 sucked was that it attempted to emulate Xenoblade 1 without any understanding of what made it so good.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'm not saying their quiet first half is a result of COVID.

Their lack of announcements for the remainder of the year (clearly) is.
Except we've had the French source who was one of the leakers for that Direct say that the Direct Mini had the content as planned and wasn't changed or cut down due to Covid-19. That's what I was referring to.

I'm not disputing that, from here on out, Covid absolutely changes things. But we had at least one 'in the know' person say the Direct Mini wasn't cut down.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2019 was decent (FE was incredible, LM3 was good, but SMM2, Astral Chain and Pokemon were all disappointments), but nothing exceptional (I'd argue that Nintendo's last exceptional year was 2014), and it can easily be beaten by a good Paper Mario and a 3D Mario collection.

Well, there isn't much I can find to agree with in this post so I think I'll leave it at that.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Nintendo seems to willingly let the first 5-6 months pretty barren, like last year and the year before it.
Now this year the issue is every project set from may onward had high chances to suffer from development issues and get delayed. So they can't really announce it.

It's too soon for judging the year, even more with the situation we're in.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's safe to say, that Nintendo tries to have one "big" game in the first half-ish of the year (Jan. - May) and is satisfied with stuffing the second half.

It's frustrating, especially when that one big release isn't your cup of tea, or a port you've already played to death. But at the end of the day, they're just games y'all. (Don't tell whatshisname streamer guy with the colored hair that I said that)

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has never actually ported any of their pre-Xbox One games to anything outside of just the Halo games, yes? They just rely mostly on backwards compatibility for their legacy stuff.

I guess that's why, despite how silly it sounds, I'd much sooner expect one of the older Halo games to be on Switch before anything regarding Rare's old stuff (outside of a N64 online service that might not even happen at this point).

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Microsoft has never actually ported any of their pre-Xbox One games to anything outside of just the Halo games, yes? They just rely mostly on backwards compatibility for their legacy stuff.

I guess that's why, despite how silly it sounds, I'd much sooner expect one of the older Halo games to be on Switch before anything regarding Rare's old stuff (outside of a N64 online service that might not even happen at this point).

Halo always had that 'if Nintendo made an FPS' vibe and Rare Replay makes too much sense anway.

If I were MS I'd put on MCC & RR and potentially just leave it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.