• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Off course are all disappointed... Doesn't matter what Nintendo will show or present... they can't please everyone.

Jan 4, 2018
I though Nintendo was supposed to have more resources for developing games since Switch is the only console they have to care about now (no more GC/GBA, Wii/DS, WiiU/3DS situations). I hope June Direct will be packed at least.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Either of those in place of PKMN DLC would have been preferable. Especially Pikmin 3 in late April. Oh well.
Once I saw it was a Mini my expectations from Nintendo was Pikmin 3, 3D World or a Mario Golf. I would've taken any.

I would love to but i just don't know and especially now when covid-19 is a thing, i would like to be wrong tho.
Yeah that's true. Maybe we'll hear from Harker again

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I really like that Nintendo is doing these indie collabs like The Stretchers and Good Job. I wanna see a ton more of those.

Also, can we appreciate that hell almost froze over?

A Capcom game that's not a port of a previous gen game?
A EA game that's not FIFA Legacy-fucked-over?

It's pretty chilly in heck, that's for sure.

Wait what Capcom game?

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
I don't get why this couldn't have been in January or February, nothing here steals AC's thunder. Unless this had more and they cut stuff from it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I though Nintendo was supposed to have more resources for developing games since Switch is the only console they have to care about now. I hope June Direct will be packed at least.
I suppose resources are kinda limited when entire cities are on lockdown. Videogames aren't essential, so it wouldn't surprise me if most people are doing homeoffice/aren't working at all.

I can see them not wanting to show stuff that might get delayed a ton depending on how long this whole mess lasts.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why this couldn't have been in January or February, nothing here steals AC's thunder. Unless this had more and they cut stuff from it.

They like to shadowdrop games and demos, so they needed games like Jedi Academy and Panzer Dragoon to be done before they could air this.

Plum

May 31, 2018
People: "I didn't like this because it failed to meet my interests."

Era: "NINTENDO CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT, CAN THEY? LEAVE THEM ALONE. YOU ARE TERRIBLE PEOPLE."

Just let people be disappointed, folks. Damn.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
I have to say. King's Bounty 2 looks like absolute trash.

Really looking forward to SW and x-com on the go, though

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
It's not a good play to take John Harker's offhand comment as a reference to an April/May general Direct. This one was packaged as a mini to lay out the release schedule until June while keeping mum on the summer and fall. Nintendo has no incentive to get any info out before (what would have been) E3 week.

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
First of all, I'm SO HAPPY this was real and that we can move on from the madness now. There's no doubt when the next General will be after this (June, E3 week or close to that).

That said, that was a pretty low-key Direct. Third party-wise it was not bad at all, but in the first party front, it was lukewarm at most. The fact that no game was announced at the end confirms that there's nothing coming from Nintendo in the summer and that, being optimistic, the first of the June Direct's announcements will come out in September. Oh well. I'm happy they decided to release this as a Mini, it was the right call given what they had to show. Now to wait for June.

Deleted member 53506

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Man, I LOVED this Direct:
- Bioshock and XCOM 2 on the same day but Borderlands too!
- MR DRILLER DRILL LANDS!!!! YES!!!
- Burnout Paradise! There goes my free time everywhere.
- Freaking King's Bounty on Switch!
- STAR WARS RACER REMASTERED!!!!
- Dang Bravely Default 2 looks MUCH better than I expected
- Shitloads of shadow drops

and the best announcement of them all...

CLUBHOUSE GAMES RETURNS!!!!!!
I'm in the same boat. It did have some nice stuff. Especially Star Wars Racer. I lived and breathed that game, lol.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I opened this thread less than 10 minutes into the release of a 25 minute direct and saw a number of already disappointed "that's all?" posts. To those people: y'all pine over something for weeks and then don't even give it the time of day before shifting directly into complaining? C'mon now.

Oct 6, 2019
guys it was a real pleasure to meet you all. See you in June

edit: and also a big thank to Nate, Zippo, and the other insider for telling us these info about the direct... thanks so much!

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Wait, what am I saying, they literally just said the ARMS character for Smash will be announced and released in June. There's obviously gonna be a Direct, then. E3 or not.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta be honest thought, if you told me this was a longer general Direct (up to 50 mins for example) and they cut out a lot of stuff, mostly 1st party ... i could believe you.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Good Direct, this place can be packed up for a few months now.

Hope the people that doubted Jeff and Nate come clean.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
This was a perfect holdover. I was hoping for maybe one more hidden remaster coming before June but what you gonna do. Loved the content and updates.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Not disappointed. Plenty of stuff to consider purchasing. One of those unfortunate people that never got round to playing XC so, lucky for me it is like a tentpole game for me. Really looking to it. Never got round to playing Borderlands either, and fancy a Bioshock 1 play through. Burnout Paradise \o/. Good job and Shinsekai look great too.

Surprised that Bravely Default 1 wasn't kind of shadow dropped or put down for a release.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
I believe that this was supposed to be General Direct but since covid-19 is a thing they are not quite sure about their first party lineup, so they just changed it to a Mini Direct but everything that was going to shadowdrop was just like as it would be General Direct. But who knows about Pikmin 3 or 3D World since i really doubt that these would be announced in a big June Direct.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In any case this thread is a dumpfire and I'm probably holding off from speculating with most of you for the future, please grow up and try to be decent human beings see ya

Oct 28, 2019
I opened this thread less than 10 minutes into the release of a 25 minute direct and saw a number of already disappointed "that's all?" posts. To those people: y'all pine over something for weeks and then don't even give it the time of day before shifting directly into complaining? C'mon now.

Tbf Nintendo themselves timestamped pretty much everything in the description.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt we see another one until June, maybe a game specific direct for Xenoblade and a few more trailers for the Isle of Armor.

Plum

May 31, 2018

As long as they're not harassing devs or doing other bullshit like that then why not just allow people to complain and be disappointed? Trying to police everyone so that only positive thoughts are allowed will never work.

We've got folks here un-ironically saying that others are "terrible people," for not enjoying the Direct. That shit's ridiculous in my eyes.

Neural Network

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2020
Table Top game , Work game and some of 3rd party looks amazing.
Table top game literally justifies purchase of Switch. Interested in XCom and Burnout as well

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry nothing there appealed to you, I guess?

But objectively there was plenty of content that appeals to a wide audience. It can't be a "bad" direct just because it didn't specifically interest you at all.
I might agree with you if this had been released in January. If we don't get the first proper direct of the year until June then when can we expect the next major release after AC? September? Later?

Makes me wonder what the hell they would have done if AC didn't need to be delayed.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Honestly for a Mini it was pretty solid for me. I am interested in about 3 or 4 of these, which is better than most Minis. The biggest thing to have made it better would've been anything other than Pokémon DLC to end it lol. I mean we get it, Pokémon and Animal Crossing print money, but how about throwing a line to a different IP, like say Pikmin? Even Mario 3D World would've been a better call IMO.

SerKwak

Apr 6, 2018
I already played all the ports announced on other systems and the rest is not my cup of tea. The smaller games are a nice touch but come on, the last major first party game announced was 6 months ago and it was a port of a game I played not too long ago. For many of us this mini-direct was just not good and does not promise good things for the rest of the year. Luckily I still have a backlog on Switch but I will be playing my PS4 much more the coming months which is weird because it is PS4 last year and switch should be in its prime.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, Nintendo sometimes...
You have to realize that most of this stuff is not AAA exclusive material, it's more AA/minor stuff. Those are very much more likely to benefit from a short marketing / hype cycle rather than a long one. Alot of this stuff now launches within 1-2 months rather than 3-5, which is a massive difference.

That's my theory anyway, it makes sense to me.

meaulnes

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was quite good; main surprise is no Wii U ports at all. I like first party reveals as much as anyone but confirmation of Borderlands, Bioshock, Burnout Paradise etc is great. Though those are old games I love to have them on Switch. Bravely Defauls looks very good. Xenoblade remaster with confirmed epilogue, pretty good.
It is like some of you do not like news, just "megatons".

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
I said in January it was far too early to determine COVID's impact on publishing and development timelines.

Now we know. There is likely quite a bit of unnannounced content coming to Switch this year, but it's best for everyone if you assume that it will be delayed months after its original timeline. It's not cause for panic or a question of did those things exist; it simply means that you will have to enjoy what's already been released and understand that the world is slowing to a crawl.

Things will eventually resume some kind of regular schedule, but I'm wishing those companies take all the time in the world to stay healthy.

edit - this also reminds of a story that happened during a game preview event that was suddenly delayed. I was supposed to be in LA for a weekend, then they canceled the entire event like five days before it was supposed to happen. Turns out the dev and marketing team had a meal to celebrate the game's nearly completed state and the preview event; that meal led to mass food poisoning, and almost the entire team of 25+ people designated to help us through the weekend were completely knocked out and couldn't work.

These things happened then. Now imagine that at an unprecedented and far more life-threatening scale - we'll be fine waiting.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
People... Shure, in a vacum this was a great direct.
We dont live in a vacum.
Most of the games are yearsor even a decade old. The ports wereleaked months ago. And th eports will cost more than on every other platform. This is not something to get hyped up, except you absolutely wanted to play them mobile.
otherwise, most pcs/laptops bought in the last 6 years should be able to play a lot of these games. Off of steam, for cheaper.

I dont find it a desaster like some others (because, like i sad, in a vacum the direct would be good), but you cant just wave your hand and say "you'll never be happy" or "you have to high expectations".

Status
Not open for further replies.