• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2018
Anyone think we'll get a new unannounced game released by August? My voucher expires end of July and I've been saving it for a new Mario Kart. I can see ports and previously announced games coming this summer but I think the earliest we get new 1st party releases is Fall.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
Camelot has to be up to something. I hope they are yearning to make Golden Sun, the fan demand is there and growing.

Do you think so? Don´t know how you can be certain about that, but I hope you´re right.

We even don´t need a sequel (GS4), but at least a remake of the first two! The GBA ones were excellent, they are in my list of best RPGs of all time.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
When I first saw the Direct games announced, I was let down, but I'm quite interested in a few of the titles the more I look into them, like that 51 games in one package.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
one thing thats anoying: for just jumping in for a quick session the loading times are... not that great. (especially if it should be a quick session with a friend)
For sure.

Especially considering how much you do it as well :/ Nice little advertisement for SSD's haha

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone think we'll get a new unannounced game released by August? My voucher expires end of July and I've been saving it for a new Mario Kart. I can see ports and previously announced games coming this summer but I think the earliest we get new 1st party releases is Fall.
Doubtful. I think september is the earliest at this point.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
There's a digital replacement planned for E3 by ESA, the E3 organisers. Nintendo still go big on E3, they pushed digital reveals initially, and they said today the next Smash fighter will reveal and release in June. Add in the fact the second half of 2020 is still a near blank slate, and it makes sense to expect an E3 Direct.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
There's a digital replacement planned for E3 by ESA, the E3 organisers. Nintendo still go big on E3, they pushed digital reveals initially, and they said today the next Smash fighter will reveal and release in June. Add in the fact the second half of 2020 is still a near blank slate, and it makes sense to expect an E3 Direct.
Who wasn't expecting a June Direct?

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
If anything we could get specific date and time when this June Direct and probably Treehouse will happen in May, since Nintendo is announcing their E3 plans in May.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Do you think so? Don´t know how you can be certain about that, but I hope you´re right.

We even don´t need a sequel (GS4), but at least a remake of the first two! The GBA ones were excellent, they are in my list of best RPGs of all time.
There are a lot of people who are re-discovering Golden Sun.

I would love a remake of the first two from the perspective of being told to Matthew, Karis, and Tyrell as kids by Isaac, Jenna, Garret, and Felix. I would like a "director's cut" of Dark Dawn with fixes like larger text boxes, ability to backtrack, and other QOL fixes.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Hey everyone

Just to clarify, my source originally told me that there was going to be a Direct at the end of February.

My source is right 99.9% of the time and anyone who follows me on Twitter knows I've successfully 'leaked' plenty of stuff in the past: since I generally don't like leak culture though, I tend to hide my leaks in tweets until they're announced, then reveal them after the fact, just as a bit of fun to let people know I knew.

Obviously, the Direct didn't happen and my source then told me it had been moved back to the end of March. These things happen. I mentioned this on Twitter last week and again yesterday but by today it seemed clear (to me at least) that the Direct was due to be cancelled due to the coronavirus, despite me knowing about a "relatively big" game releasing today.

I wasn't expecting a Mini Direct out of nowhere, but that at least proved I was right about the fact that a game was due to launch today as one of the "surprise, it's out today" reveals.

And it wasn't Jedi Academy, it was Panzer 🙂

Usually I'm not one for petty arguments like this, but just wanted to pop in and address the whole "he isn't an insider" thing: I've been a games journalist for nearly 14 years (including six years at the UK Official Nintendo Magazine) so I absolutely do have reputable sources. I just don't like leaking things that often because I prefer people getting the surprise.

Hope that clears things up, and hope you're all keeping safe during these times ❤

Chris Scullion
Thanks for the precision!
Always the issue with twitter tbf, short messages where you can't really go into details, and if you say it days later, it won't necessarily be shared elsewhere.

Hope you stay safe too.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
its understandable why people are upset. They didn't announce a single new retail first party game and we're three months into the year. We are barely any more illuminated and 2020's Nintendo lineup than we were yesterday. It changed pretty much nothing
This

I was not just looking forward to new Nintendo information, but good and exciting news. I thought this direct was very meh, for me at least. Lots of updates and ports, no new first party announcements or anything that could give a sense of Nintendo's plans for the year.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Nintendo doesn't even have to say anything anymore. If they keep their June 10th E3 direct then they can announce it the week before instead of in May when they announce their E3 plans. Things are just different now
If there even still is a direct around that time. Even if it is june though, wouldn't they want to separate from the other ones if they all do stuff that week?

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
There will be another one before the E3 one more than likely. You saw the corona virus thing at the start. They probably wanna wait until they can give concrete dates.

I was thinking this, but did not want to be the one to say it, because I was dreading the inevitable pile-on. This Direct sure seemed like it was edited explicitly to include only those announcements that needed to be made right now. It really felt like an improvised half-step in order to get information about May/June releases out and keep third party partners happy without doing a major promotional event during the midst of a major international crisis.

Also, there was that other Direct that Harker referenced in his post that caused so much confusion. So if his source is a different third party publisher whose work is appearing in this hypothetical later Direct that would help explain the discrepancy between his post and all the others who were sure about today's Direct.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
You probably didn't see today's direct happening after no announcement of it yesterday either
Another Mini Direct in Late April/Early May makes sense.
Nintendo can't announce their Summer lineup in the E3 Direct, the games would have too little coverage.
Today's Mini Direct showed up Nintendo's Q2 games, another Mini Direct soon could show Nintendo's Q3 and the E3 Direct could show Nintendo's Q4.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo can't announce their Summer lineup in the E3 Direct, the games would have too little coverage.
Today's Mini Direct showed up Nintendo's Q2 games, another Mini Direct soon could show Nintendo's Q3 and the E3 Direct could show Nintendo's Q4.
Why would they have another Mini Direct? Another mini direct with no big Nintendo game announcements? Some want a general direct so we can get bigger first party announcements

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely possible that they have another Direct before June (maybe that's what John Harker was referring to?) but I really don't have the energy or strength of will to keep going like this for that long.

I'll be in this thread of course but more just to comment and make jokes than to actually anticipate anything before June.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Or we already know the summer lineup and there just is nothing first party until september. If they had a lineup beyond june right now, they would have announced it here.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
There will probably be a Direct on June 9th, at 9 AM Pacific/Noon Eastern. I don't know if we'll have anything between now and then. If I am right then I get to be an insider

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Oh yeah a Direct during June is totally going to happen. Might not be the same week/time slot like E3, but they will need to publish their plans for the rest of the year.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes that was a disappointing direct. Nintendo themselves made it much worse with the complete lack of news and transparency. Had they released this exact same direct in January, it would have been fine. But the fact that there hasn't been any news on new first party titles since the fall... and now still isn't, makes this entire year seem pretty underwhelming and unexciting.

Personally, I'm excited for Xenoblade DE even though I've already played through it twice, but that isn't a lot to offer, we already knew about it, and it was undoubtedly the biggest thing in this direct.

Now, I understand that COVID-19 has delayed or altered some plans, and probably had an impact on this direct as well. But at the same time this direct does nothing to assuage anyone's frustration's with Nintendo's release schedule or lack of news given it hasn't changed a thing.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely possible that they have another Direct before June (maybe that's what John Harker was referring to?) but I really don't have the energy or strength of will to keep going like this for that long.

I'll be in this thread of course but more just to comment and make jokes than to actually anticipate anything before June.
Same. I'm not expecting anything before June either, though I'm sure there will be some sporadic Nintendo news between now and then. Just not a Direct, IMO.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Ubisoft didn't announce anything in this Direct so John Harker probably heard about E3. Maybe the E3 Direct will have Roller Champions or Gods and Monsters or some last-gen ports.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Ha.

Now I'm kinda curious what Harker heard. Seeing his Ubi sources, I fully expect Gods and Monsters getting lots of airtime with Nintendo Direct.

I think it's another last gen port from Ubisoft. We all know G&M is far away. Maybe Ezio Collection but the port process got delayed thanks to pandemic? Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.