• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
hlb4uTF.png
DontGiveMeHope.gif

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was really thinking and hoping we would get something Mother for Switch. Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound still haven't released online. They could be saving them to celebrate and release them sometime this year.

My hope was all the Mother games would get fully remade.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
it's most likely BS, but just in case it's real, i'd be really bummed if instead of doing a collection or remaking them in order, they went with just mother 2.

Remaking 3 full games requires plenty of time and resources, I mean we got only remake of Zelda AW that Nintendo is selling it for $60.
And you can't really remaster NES/SENS top down game (I mean you cant but will still look bad), you need to do full remake like Zelda AW is.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And you can't really remaster NES/SENS top down game (I mean you cant but will still look bad), you need to do full remake like Zelda AW is.
they don't have to remaster them. just a rom collection like the one mana got would have been fine. of course a full remake is a bigger deal with bigger sales potential, but since it's just 3 games and with Itoi saying there won't be a 4th, i think all three games in the series deserve to be playable in one place.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'd honestly just take a Mother 1+2+3 collection; just emulated ROMs with a few bonuses.

Maybe pull a Mana by releasing the collection AND remaking the previously Japan-only third installment! I wish.

Apr 26, 2020
4Chan leaks are the best leaks. There is alot of junk on there, but sometimes 1 in a million times there is a true one on there and then everyone goes 'Aah its fake'' , but after the announcement it is revealed that is was correct :P

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Wait, what?
I've always had the impression Nintendo/Epic/whatever is in charge of those things did almost everything right from the beginning, so it actually was NOT the case?

Honest question.
I've talked to a few devs, and they seemed pretty fine with it. Not sure what he means.

Theres no native support for UE3 though, maybe thats what he's thinking of.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Wait, what?
I've always had the impression Nintendo/Epic/whatever is in charge of those things did almost everything right from the beginning, so it actually was NOT the case?

Honest question.
Eh. UE4 was Switch compatible, but that doesn't mean it was the best it was ever going to be. And even if it were completely compatible, that does not mean every game that uses it would run fine on Switch.

It wasn't until Epic was a few updates into optimizing Fortnite on Switch that UE4 really started performing well on the console. It's actually what Square Enix says caused the delay for DQXI, they just had to wait until the engine got better.

www.gameinformer.com

Square Enix Explains Dragon Quest XI Switch Delay And 3DS No-Show

We asked the RPG giant what's happening with the Nintendo versions of the game.

"As we were working on Dragon Quest XI on Unreal Engine 4, we were also wanting to work on the Switch version, as well," Okamoto said. "Unfortunately, the engine was not compatible at first, though Nintendo and Epic were working on it together. When the engine revision released making porting to the Switch possible, we started working out our plans for the release."

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what?

Honest question.

UE4 didn't have official Switch support until early 2018 IIRC and it was really only when Epic brought Fortnite to Switch that they started taking it seriously.

It obviously wasn't unusable before that(Snake Pass came shortly after launch) but I imagine lot of developers just wouldn't have wanted to bother.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Notice how the only actual facts in that Mother 4chan rumor is only things derived from previous stuff. "Link's Awakening artstyle", "clay like the original art", "ties with hobinichi project". It's always one of the bigger tell something is fake, when it doesn't say anything new.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Haha I literally just finished earthbound on the Wii U a few mins ago and I was about to come in here and say that it'll definitely come to the switch any minute now that I've just put my Wii U gamepad down and I see this lol,

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UE4 has been a godsend for switch (and honestly, japanese developers in general). Octopath, Yoshi, DQXIS, etc.
i hope SMTV impresses as well.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
they don't have to remaster them. just a rom collection like the one mana got would have been fine. of course a full remake is a bigger deal with bigger sales potential, but since it's just 3 games and with Itoi saying there won't be a 4th, i think all three games in the series deserve to be playable in one place.

I mean, yeah, they could put them through Nintendo Online similar like they been available on previous Nintendo platforms through Virtual Console service,
but I would think they want to make big physical current Switch release instead of small eShop release, and remake is only option for something like that.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Notice how the only actual facts in that Mother 4chan rumor is only things derived from previous stuff. "Link's Awakening artstyle", "clay like the original art", "ties with hobinichi project". It's always one of the bigger tell something is fake, when it doesn't say anything new.

Yeah, agreed.

I mean, we now live in a timeline where the 'Synder cut' exists (albeit, not in the form many were expecting), so anything is possible, but this 'leak' has way too many red flags:

- The timing is way too convenient, suddenly emerging after the PollyAnna Hobinichi book was officially announced.

- Link's Awakening artstyle is an easy jump, as everyone (myself included) would make that assumption.

- Specific date for the announcement seems very unlikely (especially as it's, again, an easy date to throw in - the last day of what would have been E3)

It all reads like a person trying to make it sound as plausible as possible.

Regarding insiders, I got the impression that after Mother 3, many insiders have backed off Mother related rumours due to how rabid the fanbase got around that time.

I still suspect there *is* some form of Earthbound Remake on the cards (and the games are conspicuous by their absence on the Nintendo Online service, which – for me, at least – is a sign that Nintendo has something planned, much like the Donkey Kong titles), but this specific rumour isn't it.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Also, I find quite interesting that Mother/Earthbound games are not still available through Nintendo Online when most better NES/SNES games are were available for quaite time now..

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah, they could put them through Nintendo Online similar like they been available on previous Nintendo platforms through Virtual Console service,
but I would think they want to make big physical current Switch release instead of small eShop release, and remake is only option for something like that.
you're probably right, but i think they could have gotten away with a $40 rom collection (physical and digital release) :/
personally i think the reason 1 and 2 aren't on NSO yet is because they have some plans for the series on switch.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I still suspect there *is* some form of Earthbound Remake on the cards (and the games are conspicuous by their absence on the Nintendo Online service, which – for me, at least – is a sign that Nintendo has something planned, much like the Donkey Kong titles), but this specific rumour isn't it.

Agree, absent of Mother/Earthbound and DK games from Nintendo Online is very strange,
Nintendo definitely has "some" plans regardless them.

you're probably right, but i think they could have gotten away with a $40 rom collection :/
personally i think the reason 1 and 2 aren't on NSO yet is because they have some plans for the series on switch.

My point also, they most likely have some plane with those games.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
about DKC... the obvious move is doing a trilogy remake, Crash/Spyro style. just remake the games in the 2.5D style of tropical freeze.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo doesn't care to do anything for DK lol. That's probably a Microsoft thing or just wanting to spread out the bigger SNES titles. Earthbound I can definitely see something bigger is going on there.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo doesn't care to do anything for DK lol. That's probably a Microsoft thing or just wanting to spread out the bigger SNES titles. Earthbound I can definitely see something bigger is going on there.
do MS/Rare have any ownership over the original DKC trilogy? i thought that was only for the original Rare IPs like Perfect Dark/Banjo/etc.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
DKC isn't on the NSO service either so I'm expecting a remake of that with the same graphical style as Link's Awakening.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
do MS/Rare have any ownership over the original DLC trilogy? i thought that was only for the original Rare IPs like Perfect Dark/Banjo/etc.

Yes, Phil said it in an interview how Microsoft worked with Nintendo for getting the DK games. So, Microsoft has some slight ownership.

Just the fact that the games display the Rare logo means Nintendo would have to get a licensing agreement with Microsoft.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I believe the main problem was Switch's poor UE4 support, which has gotten better over time.

The question now is whether it's worth it to do so.

I don't think the timing of the releases matter much to Namco. They released Naruto UNS4 two years after the Collection, still anything happen I guess. Plus Tekken 7 is still getting content, it would be easier to port the game as while whole package.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
about DKC... the obvious move is doing a trilogy remake, Crash/Spyro style. just remake the games in the 2.5D in the style of tropical freeze.

Spyro and Crash are 3D games, DK SNES Trilogy are 2D games,
there is no need for remake, remaster (1080p with few extra touches) would be more than enough for them.
SNES era (even NES era) 2D platformers, aged quite well.

that's just tradition

remember when they never put Earthbound on the Wii VC

They were not available on Wii VC, but they were available on Wii U VC.

DK Trilogy games were on Wii and Wii U VC, so hardly could have something with Microsoft.
Thing is, that they already released all best NES and SNES games long time ago on Nintendo Online, only Mother/Earthbound and DK games basically left.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Phil said it in an interview how Microsoft worked with Nintendo for getting the DK games. So, Microsoft has some slight ownership.
Just the fact that the games display the Rare logo means Nintendo would have to get a licensing agreement with Microsoft.
interesting. the probably could work out something if they wanted to, just like they did with DKC1 on SNES mini, but maybe they can't be bothered :/

DKC Trilogy are 2D games, there is no need for remake, remaster (1080p with few extra touches) would be more than enough.
...are you sure? those games are made using pre-rendered sprites and are honestly kinda ugly. i doubt a remaster would be good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.