• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the next Direct have Breath Of The Wild 2 news?

• Yes

Votes: 374 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 285 43.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I think the miracle will actually be startropics
20055jdc.gif

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I really don't like the idea of being an insider in general but it would be nice to at least be able to assure people here (myself included) that it's not all doom and gloom for the rest of the year. A mystery game list would have been really good for that.
Yep. It makes this place more fun instead of us getting on each other due to frustration.

No, by the end one will be left standing.

But everyone will believe nothing remains because nobody thought to ask Nate about Odama.

Yeah Emily's mystery game list was one of the most fun experiences I've had on era, trying to deduce that list was a blast.
you're right. Nobody will ever ask for Odama including Nintendo.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
oh boi if this means we could see the other Ys games and possibly the Trails in the Sky Series it would be awesome.

Dunno, does XSEED own the translation of the other Trails games? Because if that's the case, even if Falcom does license them out to other devs, they would have to redo the translation ...

Which might not be a problem for an old game like Ys Origins, but for the Trails games? Boy that's a task.

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
I had a dream about a July direct. Pikmin 3 was shown. The big changes mostly consisted of a mode where you can collect items around the levels and then you can use pikmin to help move them around to decorate your ship. Then they showed this trailer of characters like Mario and Yoshi throwing paint at each other. This was just for a special line of Amiibo where the characters are mostly colorless but they have their colors in paint splattered around them (think Splatoon amiibo.) Then lastly there was a trailer that started with a sideways view of F-zero racers driving on a track. "Oh cool a new F-zero. That will make people happy." The camera shifts to a frontal view and you see that it's actually the F-zero stuff from MK8 and that this is just a trailer highlighting small QOL improvements. That was the direct.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
You don't need to be an insider to know that Startropics and Custom Robo aren't getting a new game, even less this year. Come on now...

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Would you recommend to newcomers to the series? I hopped aboard at Ys 8, which I loved.
It's quite different to Ys 8 overall imo. While it's also an ARPG, it has its focus set on dungeon crawling, some light puzzling/platforming and less elaborate fighting mechanics. You still fight a lot, though. It's simpler and more straight forward. It's a good entry point in my eyes.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Nintendo's quality has been amazing the last few years but if you take away the Wii U ports, I still feel they're quite a long way short of having a regular window of quality releases. Going in to next gen they won't have that card to play since the Switch is so popular that so many people will have already played its best games. I'd love to see them expand a bit more.
This is a great point. Nintendo are making a lot of money now, but I really think they're underinvesting.

Microsoft are buying studios. So are Sony. WB games are going. There's a lot of consolidation going on in general, and I just can't see Nintendo keeping up a decent schedule when the Wii U ports are no longer an option. They just don't have the manpower.

I get that Nintendo don't mode themselves on Microsoft or Sony, they want to be Disney. But Disney bought Marvel and Power Rangers and Star Wars. They expanded their IP catalogue in a way I really think Nintendo should do.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I've been telling you guys about Yabuki's FPS for close to a year now but you wanna ignore the truth.

Is it called Spladoom?

This is a great point. Nintendo are making a lot of money now, but I really think they're underinvesting.

Microsoft are buying studios. So are Sony. WB games are going. There's a lot of consolidation going on in general, and I just can't see Nintendo keeping up a decent schedule when the Wii U ports are no longer an option. They just don't have the manpower.

I get that Nintendo don't mode themselves on Microsoft or Sony, they want to be Disney. But Disney bought Marvel and Power Rangers and Star Wars. They expanded their IP catalogue in a way I really think Nintendo should do.

Nintendo doesn't need more IPs, they can start doing something with those that they have and don't use as of now. Buying studios is also always double-edged, because the people might just leave and you end up with a name.

What they should do more is definitely collabs like with Astral Chain, and licensing out their IPs for exclusives like with Mario & Rabbids.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Silly me. I was excited to finaly get the much hyped Cross Code on Switch and now I read that the framerate is crap.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Dunno, does XSEED own the translation of the other Trails games? Because if that's the case, even if Falcom does license them out to other devs, they would have to redo the translation ...

Which might not be a problem for an old game like Ys Origins, but for the Trails games? Boy that's a task.
Isn't Trails in the Sky about the same age as Ys Origin?

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Is it called Spladoom?

Nintendo doesn't need more IPs, they can start doing something with those that they have and don't use as of now. Buying studios is also always double-edged, because the people might just leave and you end up with a name.

What they should do more is definitely collabs like with Astral Chain, and licensing out their IPs for exclusives like with Mario & Rabbids.
Strong disagree. I think they need IP they can leverage in different media. The reason they've got loads they don't use is because those IPs are mostly game based. Nintendo is clearly moving in the direction where they can do more then just games (the mario film and theme park are the first signs of this). They're just a very cautious company so are doing it slowly.
I think it's the real reason we probably won't see another F Zero. The anime didn't take off and maybe they feel the IP is not distinctive enough. It's the reason they'll keep going back to the Star Fox well. The games don't really matter. They're almost like a byproduct.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
One thing Nintendo has been doing lately that I've liked is putting developer names/faces forward in a more public fashion. Ten years ago, you knew Miyamoto, Iwata, Kondo, Yokoi, and maybe you knew Aonuma or Tezuka. But now you know Nintendo faces up and down the organization. New IP called ARMS? Here's Kosuke Yabuki, the producer! Wanna talk Animal Crossing? Here's Aya Kyogoku! Mario? Here's Koizumi! Getting more and more names and faces out there really humanizes the usually secretive company, at least in my eyes.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Silly me. I was excited to finaly get the much hyped Cross Code on Switch and now I read that the framerate is crap.
sigh, happens too often with switch ports. even games you expect to run well on switch :(

One thing Nintendo has been doing lately that I've liked is putting developer names/faces forward in a more public fashion. Ten years ago, you knew Miyamoto, Iwata, Kondo, Yokoi, and maybe you knew Aonuma or Tezuka. But now you know Nintendo faces up and down the organization. New IP called ARMS? Here's Kosuke Yabuki, the producer! Wanna talk Animal Crossing? Here's Aya Kyogoku! Mario? Here's Koizumi! Getting more and more names and faces out there really humanizes the usually secretive company, at least in my eyes.
yeah, it's been a great shift. hope to see more of it. they did it with luigi's mansion 3 as well, featuring devs from next level in the presentations and interviews.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Strong disagree. I think they need IP they can leverage in different media. The reason they've got loads they don't use is because those IPs are mostly game based. Nintendo is clearly moving in the direction where they can do more then just games (the mario film and theme park are the first signs of this). They're just a very cautious company so are doing it slowly.
I think it's the real reason we probably won't see another F Zero. The anime didn't take off and maybe they feel the IP is not distinctive enough. It's the reason they'll keep going back to the Star Fox well. The games don't really matter. They're almost like a byproduct.

Nah, I really disagree with this. Nintendo's core business is gaming and the major purpose of expanding their IPs out of gaming is to use those same IPs that people see in theaters or theme parks to draw people to their core gaming products. They've reiterated this time and time again, that's the main goal of their expansion.

What they need to combat industry consolidation isn't buying up more existing studios, it's simply hiring more developers and more talent. Which they're currently doing (they've been adding hundreds of new employees every year), though not necessarily to the extent needed. They could certainly stand to open up some new studios in regions outside of Japan too but buying up existing studios really isn't their best bet.

Especially when, in the case of WB, you're not even getting the IPs with the studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.